PDA

View Full Version : Ground chuck is on sale...I need ideas!

hinodis
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Ground chuck is on sale for $1.39 this week! That's a great deal. Any ideas on what to do other then the obvious, tacos, sloppy joes, spaghetti, meatloaf, burgers...?

Mickeyherewecome123
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
where was it on sale that cheap?
meatballs
sheppards pie
stuffed green peppers
beef enchilada casserole
check out recipezaar.com they have some awsome recipes on their site.

Darsa
01-12-2009, 09:49 AM
My thought too; where so cheap??

recipezaar is a wonderful site; I also visit allrecipes.com for some good stuff! :)

mountdew1
01-12-2009, 09:50 AM
chilli
hamburg helper
beef strogonoff

hinodis
01-12-2009, 09:59 AM
My thought too; where so cheap??

recipezaar is a wonderful site; I also visit allrecipes.com for some good stuff! :)

I live in a small town and it is at our local grocery store, Foodtown. It is not part of a chain.

Thanks for the ideas!

HM
01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I use it in two things you might like--

Brown ground beef and drain and set aside
Use same pan to brown diced small onion and clove or two of garlic
Add can of diced tomatoes and the beef
Add spices to either make it italian (oregano, basil) or mexican (chili powder or chili mix) If you make it mexican, you can add a can of black beans
Cook noodles of your choice (elbow, farfalle, penne, etc) to al dente and then drain and add to the beef mixture. Cook for awhile to blend flavors.
Serve with salad and bread.

Brown meat and drain
In 2 qt casserole dish add 1 can condensed chicken noodle soup and one can chicken broth and 1/4 cup water. Add 1 cup uncooked rice and the ground beef, season with salt and pepper. Put in oven set at 375 for 1 hour, checking at 45 mins to see if all the liquid is absorbed, and add a bit more if it is.

RichNKatHolly
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
We just used leftover taco meat and cheese to make taco omlettes for lunch. Yum!!!

HunnyPots
01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
My suggestion? Leave it on the shelf! :rotfl:

Seriously, ground chuck has so much fat that you end up with much less meat than if you started with ground round or an extra lean cut. I find its not worth it to save a dollar and watch the meat just melt away... :confused3

DWGal210
01-12-2009, 11:40 AM
I got this recipe from a gal I used to work with so I can't take credit - I make it b/c it's easy and fast.

Brown and drain the hamburger. Add in ketchup and mustard to taste (I add enough to make it sloppy-joe consistency). Put the meat in a greased 8x8 pan. Top the meat mixture with cheese slices, any kind of cheese you like. Top off with pre-made biscuits like Pillsbury. Bake in a 350 oven depending on the baking directions for the biscuits.

Enjoy! I like it b/c it tastes like a cheeseburger but in a casserole. You could also add other burger ingredients if you wanted to (onion, bacon, etc).

dislvr74
01-12-2009, 11:47 AM
When I buy ground meat in bulk, I just brown it with some onions and green pepper and then freeze it in ziplock bags. It makes cooking a lot faster later when you don't have to brown the meat.

mitchwebb
01-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Some more - My kids love
Sloppy Joes
Spaghetti

ExPirateShopGirl
01-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I make soup and freeze it into pre-portioned containers to take to work and one larger portion for a family meal. With ground beef I make Stuffed Bell Pepper soup and French Onion soup.

With ground beef, get the leanest you can and drain as much fat as you can. Simmering the soups for at least 2 hours will tenderize even the leanest meat.

Stacerita
01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Meatballs. Make them and put them in the freezer in zip lock bags till you need them. Can be used with spagetti, soups, stroganaff (sp) or on their own.

mrp4352
01-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Dump it Soup!!

brown 1 pound of ground beef; dump in 2 cans ministrone; 2 cans ranch style beans; 2 cans corn (drained); 2 cans ro-tel (we drain, but you don't have to). Stir and heat through.

tonilea
01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Taco Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
Pizza
Lasagna
Italian Sandwiches (my version of a sloppy Joe w/ an Italian twist)
Creamy Stuffed Shells
Enchiladas