PDA

View Full Version : cheap way to mark a bike in case of loss/theft

smidgen21
01-11-2009, 12:33 PM
the how to mark your camera thread made me remember this:

take the seat off the bike. write your name/contact info on a small piece of paper. roll paper around a pencil. tape the paper on the pencil. drop pencil in the tube of the bike. reattach seat. if your bike is ever lost/stolen it can easily be identified by checking for the pencil with your name inside the tube!

Cheshire Figment
01-11-2009, 03:48 PM
How about writing down the serial number and keeping it with your bill of sale? Or have it painted an very unusual color?

squirrel
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
Up here most people inscribe their Driver's License in a spot that is not easily noticable. You should do this with all your expensive things.

If the police find it they can easily return it! Makes it very easy for them to tell that the property is stollen when they pull over a van full of stuff and none of it matches the driver's id.

Mickey527
01-11-2009, 08:16 PM
They don't do it here in Bridgeport, where I live but in the surrounding towns of Fairfield and Milford the police will inscribe information and keep records on the bike for you. I would give the police non emergency number a call and ask what they recommend, you might have a town that does it for you.

kellia
01-11-2009, 08:51 PM
You can get your bike registered here at the police station, too. Of course, I would think that would only help if they found it abandoned somewhere, but might be better than nothing!