View Full Version : Mardi Gras 2009

WDWFreak200
01-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Here are some performers that are listed on Pollstar.com:

2/7/09 - KC and the Sunshine Band
2/21/09 - Ne-Yo with Jazmine Sullivan
3/14/09 - Montgomery Gentry
4/11/09 - Trace Adkins

I am really worried about the crowd behavior for Ne-Yo. It's going to be insane and I'm sure a lot of OPD coverage too.

bas71873
01-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Where will the concerts take place?

Metro West
01-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Where will the concerts take place?At this point, I don't know. They used to have them at the Boneyard but that's been torn up for the HR3 construction. If they get the stage finished in time, they'll have the concerts there. If not...who knows? I'm thinking maybe the Fear Factor arena?

bas71873
01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
At this point, I don't know. They used to have them at the Boneyard but that's been torn up for the HR3 construction. If they get the stage finished in time, they'll have the concerts there. If not...who knows? I'm thinking maybe the Fear Factor arena?

OK, so forgive me for being a dumb dumb on this, but we have never been to US/IOA so I have no idea what the Boneyard, HR3 nor the Fear Factor arena are. I presume they are inside US somewhere? Does this concert require an extra ticket. I am really looking at 2/21 because that is one of the days I had planned on US, but now I'm rethinking my plans. I have no interest in that concert, nor will my 5 year old. Will it affect crowds? Is it an after hours thing? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Metro West
01-10-2009, 12:39 PM
OK, so forgive me for being a dumb dumb on this, but we have never been to US/IOA so I have no idea what the Boneyard, HR3 nor the Fear Factor arena are. I presume they are inside US somewhere? Does this concert require an extra ticket. I am really looking at 2/21 because that is one of the days I had planned on US, but now I'm rethinking my plans. I have no interest in that concert, nor will my 5 year old. Will it affect crowds? Is it an after hours thing? Thanks for any insight you can provide. Sorry...the Boneyard was the area between Twister and Jimmy Neutron where they used to hold the concerts. It's all torn up now due to the construction of the new coaster. Fear Factor is inside the Studios. The concert is free and does not require an additional ticket. Depending on who's playing that night, the crowds could get quite large. I've never heard of Ne-Yo but I would imagine the crowd will be rather young...based on the OP's comments.

bas71873
01-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Sorry...the Boneyard was the area between Twister and Jimmy Neutron where they used to hold the concerts. It's all torn up now due to the construction of the new coaster. Fear Factor is inside the Studios. The concert is free and does not require an additional ticket. Depending on who's playing that night, the crowds could get quite large. I've never heard of Ne-Yo but I would imagine the crowd will be rather young...based on the OP's comments.

Super, thanks. We will change plans and not go to US on Saturday! Oh, BTW, Ne-Yo is an R&B/Rap artist, so yes, the crowd will more than likely be younger.

Metro West
01-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh, BTW, Ne-Yo is an R&B/Rap artist, so yes, the crowd will more than likely be younger. That's probably why I've never heard of her/him. I'm not that young anymore. :rotfl:

WDWFreak200
01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
The concerts for Mardi Gras will be held in the new Boneyard stage that is currently being constructed in between Jimmy and Twister. Construction is on schedule and should be finished by the start of Mardi Gras, from what I've heard.

happycamper83
01-10-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm disappointed that there won't be a concert at all while we're there March 15-22nd :(

Will they still do a parade or do they only do that on the nights with the concert?

nodoubtrock
01-10-2009, 03:42 PM
there are concerts other days..but just not listed yet. its every sat so look out for who is playing on march 21st. I have no interest in seeing any of those people. but then again. i'm not into country, rap, or anyone that old/before my time. last year i saw third eye blind and that was it.

happycamper83
01-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Awesome.. I will keep watching the list then :) :cool1:

donaldduck352
01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
The only area I can think is big enough would be In front of Mel's Diner.
This is were they use too hold it..
The Fear Factor-Jaws area is A bottleneck when crowds are thick!!

donaldduck352
01-10-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm still waiting for the official line-up of concerts..Its alittle over a month before it begins and still nothing on there website!!:confused3

inmyis
01-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I believe that the oncerts are to be held n the new theater by Jimmy Neutron. I think it is going to be called the Hollywood Bowl and be designed after it's namesake, My DW, DD (16), DS (16) and I will be staying at Royal Pacific Feb 17-22. What are the highlights of Mardi Gras??

Metro West
01-10-2009, 09:39 PM
What are the highlights of Mardi Gras?? The parade and concert.

DOOM1001
01-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Plus they have entertainers throughout the park dressed in Mardi Gras outfits,they also have some lesser known New Orleans groups that play in the streets,they have some food booths set up with Louisiana style food and best of all.... BEADS!!!!!I go there to catch as many beads as possible,I still have all the beads i've caught at Mardi Gras at Universal over the years and can probably fill 5-6 shoe boxes with them.So far I'm not seeing many acts that would interest me in seeing them in concert,last year they had some better acts,at least with what they have posted so far.

Metro West
01-10-2009, 10:49 PM
So far I'm not seeing many acts that would interest me in seeing them in concert,last year they had some better acts,at least with what they have posted so far. I'm with you...none of those acts interest me either. Heart was amazing!

Bluer101
01-11-2009, 07:11 AM
We will be watching KC and the Sunshine Band since we are going for our anniversary. Every year I really don't book just for the concert but for the event in general which is Saturday nights.:thumbsup2

tink,too
01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
So far, the only act playing during our vacation will be Trace Adkins. I've not heard of them here in the UK, but will go along if DH wants to check the show out. :)

I did an online survey about 2 weeks ago when visiting the USF website which was basically asking for opinions on the design of their Mardi Gras site. Going by what they had then, it seemed pretty close to completion with only the decision of which option to go with to be made. ;)

mousiemom
01-15-2009, 10:39 AM
how do you think the crowds will be on mardi gras day-2/24??
mousiemom

donaldduck352
01-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Well the official line up is out..
Here it is:http://www.universalorlando.com/mardigras/index.html

The only one I want too see is MontgomeryGentry-Trace Adkins and Collective Soul.Seen Collective Soul once before and they are pretty good!!:thumbsup2

Who is Barenaked Ladies- Boys Like Girls or Ne-Yo??:confused3

If Barenaked Ladies is what is showing I'll go!!:laughing:

nodoubtrock
01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
I used to love Barenaked ladies. I'm def going to that one. MC Hammer? ha. I just had to laugh at that. I would be interested in seeing Kelly Clarkson too but think it will be too busy then.

Metro West
01-15-2009, 11:59 AM
OK...Here's my preliminary schedule:

2/28 - Pat Benatar
3/7 - Barenaked Ladies
3/21 - Collective Soul
3/28 - Kelly Clarkson
4/4 - MC Hammer

I might go to others but these are "must do's"! :thumbsup2

inkkognito
01-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I have 'em posted by which stage they will be performing on:

http://******************/x-2200-Orlando-Getaways-Examiner~y2009m1d15-Just-announced-2009-Mardi-Gras-bands-at-Universal

Laurabearz
01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
We will be watching KC and the Sunshine Band since we are going for our anniversary. Every year I really don't book just for the concert but for the event in general which is Saturday nights.:thumbsup2
My Husband and I just booked a trip for our anniversary for that day too!!
OK...Here's my preliminary schedule:

2/28 - Pat Benatar
3/7 - Barenaked Ladies
3/21 - Collective Soul
3/28 - Kelly Clarkson
4/4 - MC Hammer

I might go to others but these are "must do's"! :thumbsup2

Those would also be my must do's... sadly we are only there for KC and the Sunshine band... but Big Red is really good zydico (sp) music so we will check them out too!!

tink,too
01-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Looks like it will be MC Hammer for us! :cool1: Check out the smilie - he's doin' the dance! :laughing:

Now that I've checked out USF's Mardi Gras website I can't stop signing "Can't touch this" :headache: :rotfl:

d4est
01-15-2009, 05:45 PM
Is the French Quarter the area that's kind of across from Beetlejuice/Twister? That's the only thing I can think of...

donaldduck352
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Back in the day it was in the area of Cafe La Bamba across from Mels Drive-In!!

d4est
01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
So, across from Mel's, huh?

Another question. I know there's special AP viewing. I am the only APH in the family. Can hubs and son come too or will we have to find a spot elsewhere?

Bluer101
01-15-2009, 06:16 PM
My Husband and I just booked a trip for our anniversary for that day too!!

Those would also be my must do's... sadly we are only there for KC and the Sunshine band... but Big Red is really good zydico (sp) music so we will check them out too!!

Our real anniversary is Feb 15, but that weekend the rooms are $50 more per night so we decided to go a week early. With the saving we book Blue Man Group front row for Friday night.:banana:

WayfastWill
01-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Trace Adkins, MC Hammer, Kelli C, and Mont G.

Great line up this year, I'll definitely be there those nights! :cool1:

phamton
01-15-2009, 10:02 PM

http://******************/x-2200-Orlando-Getaways-Examiner~y2009m1d15-Just-announced-2009-Mardi-Gras-bands-at-Universal

Thanks! :cool1:

Foladar
01-16-2009, 03:04 AM
I wasn't here last year so I didn't pay as much attention, but the lineup seems better this year IMO. I'd prefer to go to NeYo and Nelly personally, but the crowds will probably keep me away. Some good overall names though:thumbsup2

happycamper83
01-16-2009, 09:11 AM
We have Collective Soul the week we are there.. we think we will skip it as we don't really love them. If it had been BNL or Kelly Clarkson or Ne-Yo we definitely would have gone. As it is, we only have plans to go to US/IOA for one day and if the concerts draw in huge crowds with them, we'd rather pick a quieter day to go.

Laurabearz
01-16-2009, 09:45 AM

Another question. I know there's special AP viewing. I am the only APH in the family. Can hubs and son come to or will we have to find a spot elsewhere?

Does anyone know where the AP viewing area is? And is it any less crowded than the non AP viewing area... also how long before the parade do we need to show up to the AP area, and do we have to preregister or anything like that?? (my fear is, since we are going to the first Mardi gras night, the AP area will be packed)

Our real anniversary is Feb 15, but that weekend the rooms are $50 more per night so we decided to go a week early. With the saving we book Blue Man Group front row for Friday night.:banana:
Too kewl, you will love BMG. Wear your glasses if you need them since there is a lot of reading to do, and being in the front row, you should bring something moist to clean the forementioned glasses off.

Great info! Does anyone know where both stages are located and what time the concerts start...

And lastly (for this post anyway) The park is open until 8 which is when the parade starts... is it open later for more mardi gras fun or after the parade everything shifts over to City walk?

Thanks!!!

Metro West
01-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know where the AP viewing area is? And is it any less crowded than the non AP viewing area... also how long before the parade do we need to show up to the AP area, and do we have to preregister or anything like that?? (my fear is, since we are going to the first Mardi gras night, the AP area will be packed)

Great info! Does anyone know where both stages are located and what time the concerts start...

And lastly (for this post anyway) The park is open until 8 which is when the parade starts... is it open later for more mardi gras fun or after the parade everything shifts over to City walk?

Thanks!!!Laura -

The AP viewing area is located in Battery Park across from Mel's. There are supposed to be TM's with yellow jackets on to direct passholders to the area. The email didn't say anything about registering.

Last year...the main concerts started anywhere from 8-9pm. The main stage is the old Boneyard area...where the HR3 is going. The other stage will be somewhere in the NY area.

If you wanted to continue the partying after the Studios closed, you would need to head to CityWalk.

Laurabearz
01-16-2009, 12:25 PM
So the concerts start at the same time as the parade?

Metro West
01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
So the concerts start at the same time as the parade?At some point...yes. I remember trying to watch both but the concerts vary in start time. Hopefully, they'll start around 8:30pm so you can watch the parade and the concert. We'll see.

Laurabearz
01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
At some point...yes. I remember trying to watch both but the concerts vary in start time. Hopefully, they'll start around 8:30pm so you can watch the parade and the concert. We'll see.

Well that's tottally sucky :guilty:

d4est
01-16-2009, 02:55 PM

Another question. I know there's special AP viewing. I am the only APH in the family. Can hubs and son come too or will we have to find a spot elsewhere?

Yes, I am quoting myself :rotfl: Hoping to find an answer! TIA

Bluer101
01-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Too kewl, you will love BMG. Wear your glasses if you need them since there is a lot of reading to do, and being in the front row, you should bring something moist to clean the forementioned glasses off.

We have been once before a few months ago, but his is my sons first time.:cool1: They even asked if they could put his name on the message board for the pre-show, i said YES!:lmao:

Laurabearz
01-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I looked to see what was available for that friday and front room left side was there... we are at Disney that night, but maybe I will ask DH if he wants to go :thumbsup2

donaldduck352
01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Back on the Mardi Gras theme.Got a over the fence picture yestarday.

Looks like its going to be at the BoneYard.They are working night and day too finish the ampitheater,which will be part of the HR3 ride also!!
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/ashley_herb/dads%20album/003-2.jpg

They only got a few weeks left.I wonder if it will be done in time??

Metro West
01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
They only got a few weeks left.I wonder if it will be done in time?? As long as the weather holds and we don't have a monsoon, they should be able to finish it if the work is being done night and day. The concrete may still be wet but it'll be finished.

donaldduck352
01-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Talked too a few TM's and thats the scoop I got!!
From the pic the stucco is almost complete,so only painting is left.And of coarse the concrete,but you can walk on cement 2days after its poured.It all depends on the mixture they use..If its a hot mix with fiberglass,24hrs later!!

Laurabearz
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Back on the Mardi Gras theme.Got a over the fence picture yestarday.

Looks like its going to be at the BoneYard.They are working night and day too finish the ampitheater,which will be part of the HR3 ride also!!
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g144/ashley_herb/dads%20album/003-2.jpg

They only got a few weeks left.I wonder if it will be done in time??

As long as the weather holds and we don't have a monsoon, they should be able to finish it if the work is being done night and day. The concrete may still be wet but it'll be finished.

Talked too a few TM's and thats the scoop I got!!
From the pic the stucco is almost complete,so only painting is left.And of coarse the concrete,but you can walk on cement 2days after its poured.It all depends on the mixture they use..If its a hot mix with fiberglass,24hrs later!!

The above pic from from Mid January and look at it now

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2077454

:thumbsup2

Say does anyone know where the French Quarter and the Canjun Food booths will be set up?

princessgirl2238
02-03-2009, 03:36 PM
the first concert is going to be located in hollywood across from mel's. but after that the concerts will be on the new stage in the boneyard. i saw it yesterday and it looks so fabulous!