PDA

View Full Version : What would be your very first pick if you could pick any DVC resort?

Megsmachine
01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
If you could choose any DVC resort to stay in which one would it be an why? I would like specifics on each resort that makes them, in your estimation, the best resort.

Thanks so much!

I made this for on site Disney resorts only.

Megsmachine
01-10-2009, 08:26 AM
WOW! I take it Polls are not popular on the dis??

SOme have you have said which resort but no one has said why. Anyone??

Mom2Nick
01-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Well - we all can stay at any resort we want....

I stay at Boardwalk Villas mostly because I love the location and I really enjoy having a Boardwalk/Epcot view. We will be back for 8 days in a few weeks.

My home resort is Wilderness Lodge. After this trip we will do a split stay back home and with BLT.

culli
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
I picked BWV due to walking distance to EPCOT and HS. If location was not an issue I like SSR the best, nicest all around resort.

bobbiwoz
01-10-2009, 08:48 AM
If I only could have one, it would be VWL. I've loved WL since it's been built. This past September we were lucky enough to visit Yellowstone and see the Old Faithful Inn and fell in love there, too:lovestruc I love the rustic look and especially at WL, how it's not just the building, it's the grounds, pool, the little brook by the bar, the geyser, it's a complete package. I'm on vacation in a very beautiful place when I'm at the WL/VWL. My favorite place to visit before WL was built was FW, not that we camped, but I like the outdoors and the nightly campfire with Chip and Dale was something we always brought our DSs too, no matter where we stayed.

We heard about DVC in '96, but didn't buy. We visited WDW around '98 - '00 stayed at WL, and saw the building that would become VWL, but we never looked into buying. I assumed that it would be too expensive, and just felt envious. That was probably the dumbest I ever was about anything, (well, maybe, I'm sure there are others in my family who would disagree, they still tease me about at trip to Sponge-a-rama, a side trip of about 2 hours drive for a 5 minute exhibit!). Anyway, once we decided to buy DVC in '03...my DM was turning 85, wanted a WDW birthday, the only way we could do that was to buy into DVC to get the rooms required for the party. DM loved BW...they were selling that resort with an incentive that was great so we bought and 2 days later bought an add on at VWL. VWL was where we stayed first, it's our true home resort. However, there's a song that goes "If you can't be with the one you love, you love the one you're with." Well, we have 5 home DVC's and we'll be happy at any of them, we are happy when we've stayed a few times at resorts we don't own at. We are not hard to please, but if there could only be one choice, it would HAVE to be VWL!

Bobbi:goodvibes

daisyduck123
01-10-2009, 08:52 AM
My family loves, LOVES, BCV. :love:
It is our favorite "warm weather" resort. We love SAB & being w/in walking distance to Epcot & DHS.

Our 2nd favorite is AKV, but it's our 1st choice for the colder time of year. In fact, we spent Xmas week 2007 there.

We're doing a split stay for 11 nights at both resorts this summer.

december14disney
01-10-2009, 09:05 AM
AKV. Hands. Down. :thumbsup2

dallastxcpa
01-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I chose BWV. We were married at WDW in 2003 and stayed in a 2 bdrm at BWV down by the community hall. We loved it. Now I love all the resorts each for a different reason, but my heart :love: belongs to the BWV.

Chip n Dale's Dad
01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
It is all about location. When I was young we camped at Fort Wilderness sinced WDW first opened. We would always visit CR and PR and ride the monorail. This area stirs up powerful and pleasant childhood memories for me. Being close to the campfire program, Chef Mickey's and immersed in all the Disney Magic is what it is all about. Also, we spend most of our time at the MK and Epcot. We are SSR owners and we love it, but our hearts belong to the MK area. :love: :love: :love:

alldiz
01-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm happy to say I own at my favorite resort.....WLV.

I bought WLV before I stayed anywhere else....I just knew I loved WLV.

After my purchase I made my rounds around the others....and I am happy to report that WLV is my favorite.

Just so peaceful and beautiful:goodvibes
Just feels like "home":goodvibes
Kerri

Simba's Mom
01-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I wonder if some people have more than one favorite, or maybe DH and DW have different favorites (both of those are true in our house). My favorite is BCV, DH's favorite is OKW. Fortunately, my favorite when we go together is OKW-we can spread out and relax more, it's easier to sit out on the balcony, and there's less emphasis on going to the parks all the time, so I don't need the convenience. However, I go solo a lot (I'm a much bigger WDW fan than DH is), and for solo trips, I love my BCV. DH stayed at BCV with me for a few days once (last minute decision to join me), and although he said it was "OK", it didn't change his mind about his favorite-if anything it reinforced it, he said! Anyone else with a different "favorite resort" within the family?

Anal Annie
01-10-2009, 11:32 AM
I cannot vote in your poll because we love AKV and VWL equally, but for different reasons. BLT is an unknown and remains to be seen. I THINK we will like it if we can ever get in at 7 months. But can't say yet. If we can't get in at 7 months then we'll automatically just hate it for it being so exclusive!:rotfl: (Darn DVC raising that minimum add-on requirement next week. Their timing is awful.:headache: ) ANYWAY.....

AKV - it's gorgeous and we love it for it's theming and the animals and for Boma. Feel like we've been transported to another world.:thumbsup2

VWL - comfy, cozy, warm and inviting. Really feel like we're at some mountain lodge somewhere out west. Very relaxing atmosphere.

bwvBound
01-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Where's Grand California? It is an on-site Disney property?

Megsmachine
01-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Where's Grand California? It is an on-site Disney property?

I didn't realize Grand Floridian is a DVC property. Can someone tell me if it is?

Figment2
01-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Grand Floridian is not a DVC property. Grand Californian is in California (Disneyland)

Cyn

backyardponder
01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
BWV because it is walking distance to Epcot & DHS. The excitement of the boardwalk at night. Jellyrolls (dueling piano bar) is right there too.

FOTM_Ring_Bearer
01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Our favorite is the Boardwalk. I love walking to Epcot and DHS. And that Boardwalk view can't be beat.

JasonDVC
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Bought AKV because of how modern and "new" it is plus we are starting a family and it will be great to take the kids there to see the animals, but...my wife and I fell in love with BCV this past summer. The themeing is just our style and Epcot is our favorite park, plus the scent they pumped through the building was intoxicating. We'll be buying there in the next 1-2years. After that, the wait is on for Grand Floridian DVC!

tjkraz
01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
My favorite is the DVC resort that has:

* The location of BWV
* The points chart of OKW
* The dues and expiration date of BLT
* The room layout of VGC
* The furnishings of SSR

TIGGERmetoo
01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I voted for AKV because I love animals and I love staying in a savannah view room. I also like the contemporary feel of BLT and being on the monorail line.

edk35
01-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Well.......I like all the ones we have stayed in, but not equally...however I could stay at any DVC resort and have a fine vacation. :thumbsup2 Having said that ....BCV was a big hit for us this past summer so we booked there again for this July. I haven't stayed at VWL yet so I don't know about that one. So for this poll....I am voting BCV for it's close location to EC, it's wonderful SAB, the resort is just beautiful, great food options too.

Tink-n-Belle
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Boardwalk due to the location and the theming!!! Absolutely love the BW.

Blt is also a close 2nd due to the location.

Its all about the location for me. Being sooooo close to 3 parks (within walking distance is priceless). On one trip, we forgot to pack our coats and it was getting really cold really fast (feb trip) so I told DH I'd go back and get the coats--- We were are Ds and I had to go to the All Stars--it took me 90 minutes :eek:

If I have to run home from the Epcot to the BW is would only take me 25 at the most!!! From MK to BLT , Another 25 minutes at the most.

vicki_c
01-10-2009, 06:48 PM
My favorite is the DVC resort that has:

* The location of BWV
* The points chart of OKW
* The dues and expiration date of BLT
* The room layout of VGC
* The furnishings of SSR

+ Stormalong Bay at BCV! LOL! Then I agree with you!

Teachckg
01-10-2009, 07:09 PM
BWV--

location, right amount of theme, love the boardwalk!

thesupersmartguy
01-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I voted BLT. I just added on there, and like the modern rooms, and the CG being just a few steps away.

oakmanner
01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Mine is SSR because thats where we own. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Dennis-

disney fan 1994
01-10-2009, 07:46 PM
OKW We love that it is away from the parks for down time but still has touches of disney all around. Relaxing, room to strech out, 3 pools, bike rentals, boat rides, Olivia's, tropical music makes us feel like we vacationing on a island. Outside entrence to your room. No kids running down hallways at all time of the day. Can't beat the points! We have stayed at SSR, BWV (grand villa 2 floors awesome). But keep going back to OKW. We own points at BWV, SSR, and HHI.

Megsmachine
01-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Why do you (meaning anyone willing to comment ;) ) think SSR is so low in the poll?

Fatalbie
01-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Warning
:offtopic: :offtopic: SSR and its status has been beatgen to death, try the search feature and you'll have more info than you want to read.

Size and layout, lack of Disney theming, location to parks, no monorail, size and demand on system, immature landscape, bus service, dining, anything else you can think of it gets a bad rap. There was a guy used to post heavily his opinion about SSR, he was named after an elephant, and he made some good points, but realloy disliked SSR. He and several others blamed it for all the woes of booking and availability and saw it as a signe of DVC kinda losing its magic. He and a couple of SSR opponents have actually come around to see some of the benefits and amenities that the resort has to offer.
They have even elevated it out of the basement in the ratings.
Now back to the thread.
Jim

Megsmachine
01-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Warning
:offtopic: :offtopic: SSR and its status has been beatgen to death, try the search feature and you'll have more info than you want to read.

Size and layout, lack of Disney theming, location to parks, no monorail, size and demand on system, immature landscape, bus service, dining, anything else you can think of it gets a bad rap. There was a guy used to post heavily his opinion about SSR, he was named after an elephant, and he made some good points, but realloy disliked SSR. He and several others blamed it for all the woes of booking and availability and saw it as a signe of DVC kinda losing its magic. He and a couple of SSR opponents have actually come around to see some of the benefits and amenities that the resort has to offer.
They have even elevated it out of the basement in the ratings.
Now back to the thread.
Jim

We have stayed at SSR and really liked it, that is why I don't understand why it is so low in the poll.

kiingor
01-11-2009, 12:49 AM
It is all about location. When I was young we camped at Fort Wilderness sinced WDW first opened. We would always visit CR and PR and ride the monorail. This area stirs up powerful and pleasant childhood memories for me. Being close to the campfire program, Chef Mickey's and immersed in all the Disney Magic is what it is all about. Also, we spend most of our time at the MK and Epcot. We are SSR owners and we love it, but our hearts belong to the MK area. :love: :love: :love:

:thumbsup2 Same here- SSR owner- love it- soon to be BLT owner- love it even more. BLT location and the Ikea like furnitures ...:cool1:

edk35
01-11-2009, 07:55 AM
We own at SSR and love staying there too. We have been members almost 2 years .....and we have stayed 3 times. However it doesn't mean we don't want to try other DVC resorts and can have favorites elsewhere. I think for us that it depends on the time of year....where our fave is that particular trip. Like I said before......we are happy to stay at any DVC resort but for now...our fave is BCV yet it doesn't mean we don't also love SSR.

DARuss
01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
We have been DVC owners for almost 2 years and have only stayed at BWV once and will again in about 2 weeks. We are owners of SSR also. BWV were recomended to us from some very good friends that stay there every year. We love the boardwalk. You have so much to do without even going to the parks. DW also loves Epcot so that makes BWV a great choice. I also like the location of BCV. Maybe we'll stay there in the near future.

tomandrobin
01-11-2009, 05:32 PM
We have been DVC owners for almost 2 years and have only stayed at BWV once and will again in about 2 weeks. We are owners of SSR also. BWV were recomended to us from some very good friends that stay there every year. We love the boardwalk. You have so much to do without even going to the parks. DW also loves Epcot so that makes BWV a great choice. I also like the location of BCV. Maybe we'll stay there in the near future.

So....Do you love the resort or that it's close proximity to Epcot?

Nikisha421
01-11-2009, 06:45 PM
bcv...CANT WAIT UNTIL I CAN AFFORD 75PTS...CASH!!!

Sabor
01-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Easy -- OKW

Largest Rooms , great floorplans , Lowest Point Cost, We always have car most convenient parking, We usually cook and the kitchen is most comfortable for that, we have alot of groceries for a large group most cabinet and fridge space. Full Size Washer and Dryer , Best "quiet" pool at Turtle Pond , doesn't have that "hotel" feel , We spend alot of time on balconies (largest most comfortable). The resort is never overcrowded by "lookers" or guests of other resorts using the restaurant's etc.
Boat to Dwntown Disney , Central Proximity to all areas (Theme parks , DTD, and non disney)

Buckeye Fan
01-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Voted for SSR. Love our home, and would buy there again.

However, I have to say I love the other resorts, too! If I had all the money in the world, I would own points at all if I could. :goodvibes

dianeschlicht
01-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Well, I had a tough time with this question! My heart said OKW, but I voted AKV. The reason, is that I assumed ONE trip only, and I wouldn't want to miss the savanna etc at AKV. Back when that resort was built, I was hoping it would be DVC, and was VERY disappointed when it wasn't to begin with.

That being said, I LOVE OKW for the lower points, larger spaces, nice tropical decor and light, and the fact that it is so established and rarely has "issues" with check in etc.

dvcdisney
01-12-2009, 07:47 AM
I chose BCV. Love the decor, SALB and Location, Location, Location.:)

icouldlivethere
01-12-2009, 10:02 AM
I chose BWV. I love, love, love the location. Can walk to both Epcot and HS. Can walk to 3 other hotels (BC, Swan, Dolphin) and eat at their restaurants as well as the BWV restaurants. Entertainment on the BW as well as Jellyrolls and the Dance Club. Lots of fun things to do right at the hotel.

I also love that I can save points by staying in the SV studios at BWV. I can go twice a year with just 100 points using 45 points for 5 nights in the fall and 55 points for 5 nights in winter/spring.

I'mNoPrince
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
BCV for us

We have stayed at SSR,BCV,BWV,VBR,AKV so far with VWL and BCV split stay coming up.

Our preference so far will be BCV,AKV,SSR , Whatever else is open and BWV only if nothing and I mean nothing is available. I don't see us staying at OKW just no reason with SSR down the street.

BCV is all about the Location , SAB is very nice but the smallness and location are the main thing.
AKV just can't beat waking up to Animals outside your doors , Freindliest CM so far in any of our stays . Just a wonderful resort overall.
SSR is all about closeness to DTD for some (us on some trips) that can't be beat . Close parking to your room ,Use of DTD buses to get to other resorts and a wonderful ride on the river if you want.

I won't bash BWV I know it has many followers and good points we just never found tem to the point where we won't stay there again to many other choices to take a chance of an unhappy trip again.

ssrdvcmember
01-12-2009, 06:18 PM
SSR - We are big DTD fans and spend most evenings there strolling or sitting at Raglan Road socializing. So, for us it was perfect. It is nice and quiet and even when there's a lot of people it feels like you have all this personal space, it's not crowded. We love the rooms and it has all the amenities we look for. Not sure why it gets such a bad rep, but for us it's perfect :thumbsup2

blondietink
01-12-2009, 06:21 PM
BWV's all the way. Location, location, location. We like it better than BCV's. :cool2:

dvcbnd
01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
:love: OKW for us because of all the reasons already stated and it's tranquility. :thumbsup2

DisDaydreamer
01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I chose BWV because VB & HHI are not choices. :beach:

DisDaydreamer
01-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, I had a tough time with this question! My heart said OKW, but I voted AKV. :eek:

dcfromva
01-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm so conflicted on this question....:lmao:

We stayed at BWV 3-6 Dec 08
SSR 12-14 Dec 08
BCV 30 Dec- 3 Jan 09
Offsite 9 Jan and BWV 10 Jan 09

We loved each and every stay. :confused3

When our trip has an EPCOT focus, then BWV and BCV are great. There is nothing better than staying at BCV over NYE IMHO. ;) There is nothing better than BWV during F&W and early Dec..

DH and I stayed at SSR. We very much enjoyed walking around SSR and walking to DTD. (I think we may have spent 2 hours total at the MK on that visit and that was the only theme park we visited). We loved our visit and would love to do it again as it was very relaxing.

I can't wait for BLT to open. My big dream is to stay at BLT (MK view) for my birthday (maybe 2010, if I am lucky. :wizard: )

Megsmachine
01-14-2009, 01:23 PM
bump

LUVMICKEY
01-15-2009, 07:46 AM
My vote was for Beach Club Villa's. The reason is location. We feel like we are right in the middle of everything between the Boardwalk and the two parks, Epcot and DHS. We are so spoiled. Not to mention Stormalong Bay Pool that we love. We have stayed at many other DVC resorts on property, but this is our true favorite even though we love them all in their own way.

jlewisinsyr
01-15-2009, 10:00 AM
AKV - there is no other resort like it in Disney, and it is unlikely there ever will be.

The rest offer maybe the static view of the castle or other item and their own themed decor, but only AKV actually has its own zoo outside of your door to your room, that is offers a forever changing landscape of animals grazing and interacting with each other.

AKV also has two of the best restaurants on site, Boma and Jiko.

disnutt
01-16-2009, 07:39 PM
AKV is my favorite. I love the animals, theming, restaurants, and the fact that it feels far away from the parks makes me feel like I have a vacation within a vacation!

JimC
01-16-2009, 07:50 PM
AKV because it is the most unique and uniquely well executed theme on property.

That said much would depend on the time of year. We stay at VWL in January because the cool weather and lodge theme seem very congruent. In December we stay at BCV to enjoy the best of the holidays with CP and Osborne lights within walking distance. In May we are off to VB to enjoy the beach before it gets crowded. October is our month to enjoy OKW. This one is not a seasonal pick, but a return to where it all started. We will probably divert one year to BLT and another to THV so that we will have sampled each of the DVC offerings.

mumto3girls
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I said BWV, however, we have not stayed at OKW, SSR or AKV. We were waitlisted at AKV this fall and did not get in and have toured OKW but not actually stayed there and have never even seen SSR.

We love the location of BWV. We can walk to the HS and Epcot and the option of many restaurants in those parks as well as the hotels in the area. We love to spend the evening just walking along the Boardwalk--always something going on. The only thing that would make it better would be if pool hopping were allowed at BCV! BCV would be a close second for me but DH did not like it at all--felt the layout was confusing and it took us forever to get from our room out of the hotel--I think it was probably not the greatest room location coupled with 2 tired adults with 2 tired small children not following the map well--we were only there a few days and never seemed to get comfortable. He doesn't want to stay there again, but I love the pool and the location is similar to BWV.

We would really like to try AKV. I think I would also love the location of the BLT but dislike the contemporary feel of it.