PDA

View Full Version : Universal Cheaping Out In 2009

atricks
01-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I was at the Studios today and found them doing something I've not seen before, that is running one train even during the peak of the day on coasters, and what really got to me, was Men In Black only running one track the whole day. (Never seen that before, even on slow days) That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

This caused lines at MIB to be 60 minutes long or more on a slow day along with shutting down the single riders line, and similar things at Mummy (one side all day), Simpsons (one dome only), Jaws (infrequent boats)

I guess they are overreacting to the economic situation (hint: offering less for the same money does not help) and cutting back in stupid ways. I know it's slow season, but it wasn't that slow. In fact there was a good sized crowd for January there today.

I did go to guest services and politely filled out a comment form about it, and they asked anyone else who saw this to visit or write guestservices@universalorlando.com and let the management know they should stop this soon or risk a lot of bad blood.

Metro West
01-08-2009, 05:39 PM
I was at the Studios today and found them doing something I've not seen before, that is running one train even during the peak of the day on coasters, and what really got to me, was Men In Black only running one track. (Never seen that before, even on slow days) That takes a lot of the fun out of it.

This caused lines to be 60 minutes long on a slow day along with shutting down the single riders line, and similar things at Mummy (one side all day), Simpsons (one dome only), Jaws (infrequent boats)

I guess they are overreacting to the economic situation (hint: offering less for the same money does not help) and cutting back in stupid ways. I know it's slow season, but it wasn't that slow. In fact there was a good sized crowd for January there today.

I did go to guest services and politely filled out a comment form about it, and they asked anyone else who saw this to visit or write guestservices@universalorlando.com and let the management know they should stop this soon or risk a lot of bad blood. Well that stinks. I've been on MIB first thing in the morning when only one side is running and it DOES take away from the experience. The only ride that really bothers me when they run one train is Dueling Dragons...especially when they have a 20-30 minute wait. Very frustrating but I'm sure they have an excuse. :rolleyes:

drj1950
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Many times on weekdays during slow periods MIB only has one side open sometimes I'm the only person there for more than the first hour.

donaldduck352
01-08-2009, 06:13 PM
I just hope this is not a sign of things too come..
If anything cut back the rates on the resorts too draw more crowds..
But Universal dont run the resorts!!
I dont know what this year will bring to all the theme parks!!!

macraven
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't get it.......:confused3

I thought universal wanted "happy" guests..

damo
01-08-2009, 06:21 PM
I had read about this on Screamscape. I hope that people let their feelings be known. We won't be there until Feb. but if this is the case, I will complain at guest services as well.

drj1950
01-08-2009, 06:27 PM
We go to Orlando quite often and we have talked about how money is tight for many people and will people stop going to theme parks then we get there and its PACKED.Seems to me that big companies see this as the perfect time to cut back and raise money in places they wouldn't dare do before.I don't see a drop in price because that would feel like it would diminish the brand of the product.

Timmy Boy
01-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Yea it really does suck. I suggest telling Guest Services and maybe someone will do something about it. Other things they are doing is only running one Doom Tower and letting the line build to an hour wait. Also only running 1 track on Trolley and letting that line build up. Basically any ride where it takes more staff to run more capacity positions have been cut.

nodoubtrock
01-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I usually go to the park during a slower time and see this happening all the time. I don't think its something new. But the difference is..when I go..it really is dead and even with half a track open, I can ride rides over and over. the park is that dead.

Simpsons has been up to 70+ min recently and MIB over 60+ if you get to the park around 10-11 or so and try to do some rides, you will probably end up not doing much.

RockNRollerGator
01-09-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm going Sunday and I will absolutely write a formal complaint to Universal is this is the case.

This is not the way to cut back. Universal is really diminishing the quality of visiting their parks and could make themselves look like even more of the second class citizens of Orlando themeparks. If they continue to disregard reducing wait times, people will eventually catch on and just spend extra days at Disney, where fast passes, single rider lines, and the number of ride vehicles are used effectively to prevent horrendous waits.

Metro West
01-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm going Sunday and I will absolutely write a formal complaint to Universal is this is the case.

This is not the way to cut back. Universal is really diminishing the quality of visiting their parks and could make themselves look like even more of the second class citizens of Orlando themeparks. If they continue to disregard reducing wait times, people will eventually catch on and just spend extra days at Disney, where fast passes, single rider lines, and the number of ride vehicles are used effectively to prevent horrendous waits. I absolutely agree. If they are going to start cutting back during slow periods, they may not have a busy season. People will go elsewhere with the thought...if the lines are 60 mins during slow season, how long are they during busy times? I can't imagine who's brilliant idea this was?

damo
01-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Haven't they also been advertising a new thing where Shrek and Jimmy are open an hour early for people staying onsite and then Rockit once it opens? They've got their priorities screwy. People staying onsite don't need to get up an hour early.

macraven
01-09-2009, 08:42 AM
i stay on site and ALWAYS am at the entrance gate 30 minutes before park opening.

i see many guests doing that when i go in october.

taliategan
01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I guess we should expect cutbacks in a down economy when income is down from either lower numbers in the parks and/or having the people in the parks at a lower price from discounted hotel rooms, tickets or packages. I always think it is a bad idea for the parks to make cutbacks on its most popular attractions that tend to have the longest lines - the cuts should first be made on less popular attractions by reducing times during the day these attractions are open.

damo
01-09-2009, 08:55 AM
i stay on site and ALWAYS am at the entrance gate 30 minutes before park opening.

i see many guests doing that when i go in october.

Did they have the Shrek and Jimmy rides open an hour early in October or is that just to try to entice onsite people this year? I'd rather have them entice me by keeping popular rides running properly during the day.

macraven
01-09-2009, 09:10 AM
the rides at ioa are open and running when the guests are let in.

i do the studios side for simpsons and a few others early also.

there are some rides that are not open even when the park opens at 9 as they have a late schedule start up time.
that has always been like that for years.

it is listed on the park guide maps so guest know that in advance.
the 2 rides damo mentioned i never do until it is close to noon. they are to me, the type i would only do once in a visit. T2 is another attraction that once is enough for me every other trip.

it is a fantastic picture taking time when the parks are practically empty if you are among the first to enter early in the morning.

ioa gets the crowds early morning when the park opens around 8:30ish.
best time to go and do the coasters.

keishashadow
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
not uncommon for the other park to do the same thing...rarely, do i see both sides of space mt running unless it's really crowded

maybe another way to try & fill the resorts or sell the express passes:confused3

probably the 1st thing they think of when trying to cut operator costs, all about the bottom line; yet if enough complain perhaps they will take notice

damo
01-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Mac, I wonder if they are still doing that with the new cutbacks or if just those two rides are open early now. Those are the two that they are advertising on the Universal Orlando website.

macraven
01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
damo, they change so much with promos, it is anyone's guess.

last year during some months, they allowed AP holders in one hour early in the parks from 8-9 for rides without crowds. it was only valid M-F though. (at ioa it covered the coasters and marvel land.)

with the new coaster going in, i would not be surprised if they did early entry for the first month for a promo.

in a way, that is a good thing.
if many get to ride early on any new ride in the park, it might help the long waits in lines. i haven't seen the express lanes for new rides until weeks pass after their opening.

i have noticed over the years that things change based on the month.
i know when someone reads how it was when i went in october, they might assume it is like that for every month which it is not.

like the refill of soda cost was different last year.
the refillable mugs/cups were $. 24 during the summer.
in october it was $ .74

hours and ride openings also vary.
last october, MIB, Simpsons, Jimmy neutron were open before 9.
that gave everyone the chance to do those rides before the official opening of 9:00.
shrek, mummy and others opened and the early crowd that entered at 8:30, went to those rides. made less of a congested area for the 3 that opened early....

i assume based on available staff for the rides, would determine which rides would be opened early each day/month.

rides, with exception of start times in the daily park guide map, officially open at 9:00 each morning.
it's a big bonus when universal does have rides open prior to that.

phamton
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM
I know the Mummy has only run one track during non-peak seasons since the day it opened. MIB, not so much. I hate to hear of cutbacks but I'm afraid it may get worse before it gets better.

nodoubtrock
01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
current wait times - noon fri. :

dooms fearfall: 50min.
hulk: 20 min.
spiderman: 40min.
JP River Adventure: 5min.
Dueling Dragons: 5min.
simpsons: 45min.
MIB: 5 min.
Shrek: 15min.

BuckeyeGuy28
01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
January isn't really busy season (in fact it's one of their slowest months) and they think only the locals will come and figure that if they're there they don't need a great show since they can come back anytime. Sorry that happened to you. Also, when its not peak season, some of the ride staff doesn't have to work (like kids who have to go to school now) and so they are only capable of running one train or one track

By the way, Universal is still operated by PEOPLE and BANKS who are affected by the economic recession. They may not have the money to both operate all their cars and tracks AND keep the park open. The only reason the parks are crowded is because tourists are saying "we're going to run out of money, might as well do it in style; let's go on a Orlando vacation!" They also may have booked these vacations far before the economy got so bad back when they had the money to do so. Until you understand just where Universal's finances go and how they're doing financially, you can't complain about them being 'cheap'. They might be doing all they can to keep the gates open for you!

minniejack
01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
January isn't really busy season (in fact it's one of their slowest months) and they think only the locals will come and figure that if they're there they don't need a great show since they can come back anytime. Sorry that happened to you. Also, when its not peak season, some of the ride staff doesn't have to work (like kids who have to go to school now) and so they are only capable of running one train or one track

By the way, Universal is still operated by PEOPLE and BANKS who are affected by the economic recession. They may not have the money to both operate all their cars and tracks AND keep the park open. The only reason the parks are crowded is because tourists are saying "we're going to run out of money, might as well do it in style; let's go on a Orlando vacation!" They also may have booked these vacations far before the economy got so bad back when they had the money to do so. Until you understand just where Universal's finances go and how they're doing financially, you can't complain about them being 'cheap'. They might be doing all they can to keep the gates open for you!

That's what I'm thinking, too.

And what I noticed was there seemed to be less Americans during the holiday at the parks. There was one point when my family was riding the Mummy while I was waiting for reservations at Lombardi's that I seemed to be the only American in the whole place. A man sat down beside me who was clearly with non-American friends and was complaining about the rudeness of foreigners...(how they cut lines in rides). How you'd be kicked out of parks in Middle America for line jumping.

I'm wondering what his friends thought of his comment. ;)

But you know he is right:rolleyes1 --I've seen guards time and again take line jumpers out of the parks at Cedar Point--I've never seen it happen at Disney or Uni.

drj1950
01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I know things are tough but in order to keep people coming back you really have to take care of what people want.I work for a very large retail chain,a couple of years ago when things started to go downhill here in Florida there were lots of cutbacks and changes.I told my bosses it was the wrong thing to do and we lost key people,I hear people in our store say all the time how our service is horrible and they will go somewhere else.In 3 years our sales have dropped about 30%.You really have to spend money to make money

kirbsam
01-09-2009, 11:06 PM
new coaster coming soon and harry potter coming next year. i dont think universal needs to worry too much about people coming back for more. not trying to say it is right, just saying, they know we are going to come back for the new things no matter what happens now.

rcraw45425
01-10-2009, 09:38 AM
It's been two years since we were there, I"m hoping if we book a trip for June we'll experience some later evenings than we experienced whe we were there that October. I could understand early closings for HHN but closing both parks at 6 or 7 when it's still light outside? That was the reason that DH has held off going back. Are the summer hours later, or do you guys think that'll be another "cost cutter" for this year? I have deliberately held off booking, even canceled my Disney Bounceback to think about this trip, and held off booking WDW with the 40% off flyer they sent me:rotfl:

damo
01-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I am sure that once the spring and summer crowds start to appear, the cost cutting measures will be put aside. The parks usually stay open until dark in the summer so you should be just fine. The beginning of June they are open until 8 and then the middle of June they start staying open until 9. In July they are open until 10.

http://www.universalorlando.com/hours-information/theme-park-hours.html?template=uo_park_hours.html&month=7&calendar=uo_park_hours&year=2009&month=6&year=2009

macraven
01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
It's been two years since we were there, I"m hoping if we book a trip for June we'll experience some later evenings than we experienced whe we were there that October. I could understand early closings for HHN but closing both parks at 6 or 7 when it's still light outside? That was the reason that DH has held off going back. Are the summer hours later, or do you guys think that'll be another "cost cutter" for this year? I have deliberately held off booking, even canceled my Disney Bounceback to think about this trip, and held off booking WDW with the 40% off flyer they sent me:rotfl:

October hours always have the earlier closing.
November is the same.

rcraw45425
01-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys, I was also thinking that even if they do close around 8, the girls could still swim, didn't get to do much of that during our October trip to Portofino Bay, it was a little cool by the time we got back in the evenings. They did enjoy the pool the day we left to return home. Thinking about Hard Rock this time, or should we stick with Portofino?

damo
01-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanks guys, I was also thinking that even if they do close around 8, the girls could still swim, didn't get to do much of that during our October trip to Portofino Bay, it was a little cool by the time we got back in the evenings. They did enjoy the pool the day we left to return home. Thinking about Hard Rock this time, or should we stick with Portofino?

The Hard Rock pool is similar to the PBH pool in that it has a water slide. The rooms are a bit bigger at the PBH and the atmosphere is totally different. We like them both.

WDWFreak200
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
The OP did not mention this at all, but ET has gone from operating with 2 tracks down to 1. The economy is really having a bad impact on the park, it seems. But, it also makes sense for them to cut back on Operational aspects.

A Mickeyfan
01-10-2009, 01:51 PM
That's what I'm thinking, too.

And what I noticed was there seemed to be less Americans during the holiday at the parks. There was one point when my family was riding the Mummy while I was waiting for reservations at Lombardi's that I seemed to be the only American in the whole place. A man sat down beside me who was clearly with non-American friends and was complaining about the rudeness of foreigners...(how they cut lines in rides). How you'd be kicked out of parks in Middle America for line jumping.

But you know he is right:rolleyes1 --I've seen guards time and again take line jumpers out of the parks at Cedar Point--I've never seen it happen at Disney or Uni.

I was there on 12/28 & 1/1 and agree.. I felt like I was in another country. I was one of the few Americans. There were many other languages spoken... There were times where my family were the only American English Speaking around us. I do think it has a lot to do with the economy too...

Oh & while I was there, can't remember which day, ET did have only 1 track running.. not sure why.. as well as on Thanksgiving weekend. You would think both would be opened then.

Muushka
01-10-2009, 07:41 PM
We were just there the past Monday and Thursday. MIB had 60 minute waits as well as several other rides. We typically have a meal while at USF/IOA, but due to long lines and inability to get on a ride in less than an hour (some had less waiting time, but very few) we left prior to becoming hungry. That saved them a lot of $$. Well it saved us a chunk of change!

inkkognito
01-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Wow, I have to apologize. I really thought y'all must be exaggerating as to just how bad its gotten with the cutbacks, but DH and I went to USF today and it was out of control. One side running on MiB, so they would hold standby for a while, then let a bunch of standby through, then let some express in after them. It was awful. Mummy was one side too but not as bad. We didn't even try the Simpsons because we could see how messed up it was just by looking. Express was better than being stuck in the standby lines, but not by much...especially not at MiB. It was horrible! If this keeps up, I may as well start going to WDW again because it's a shorter drive and I'll have to stand in lines anyway.

We were definitely in the minority too. Tour groups and foreign tourists everywhere. No one being disruptive or rude tho', or at least not any moreso than on any other day with Americans. We went to the Wal-Mart on Turkey Road and a tour group had taken over and was being rude and idiotic there, running into people with carts and whatnot. At least they were dispensing the fresh coffee beans, sucking them, and then spitting them back onto the display like I saw at Target last year.

Valet was insane too. There weren't many people in front of us, and we waited for our car for over half an hour. I pity the huge crowd of people who came after us. For all I know, they're still there.

The one good thing was seeing more coaster track.

nodoubtrock
01-10-2009, 08:45 PM
did you get any pics of the coaster?

inkkognito
01-10-2009, 08:49 PM
No, we forgot to bring a camera but I want to get back and get some because it's looking VERY impressive now. We were chatting with a team member in the vicinity, and I learned some things I didn't know (for example, that it will be chain lift rather than a launch like Hulk). Those curves are looking amazing.

Metro West
01-10-2009, 09:28 PM
If this keeps up, I may as well start going to WDW again because it's a shorter drive and I'll have to stand in lines anyway. Yeah...sounds like what I'm going to do too. I'll go over to Universal every few weekends to take pictures of the new track but I'm not standing in long lines. I guess that's the down side to living here...I find myself not wanting to wait in line for anything at Universal or Disney.

pixeegrl
01-11-2009, 07:08 AM
This really sucks! We were thinking of going in January instead of December again. I really hope they change it by then (2010 or 2011) or we'll just stick to December...at least then all the lines were open. How are you supposed to get Bonus points for making the other side spin and spin on MIB if the other track isn't running?

Bluer101
01-11-2009, 08:04 AM
We go all the time normally durring the slow season and I have noticed a little change in the rides. The most I see is normally as the day gets busier they add a second train to DD, or use both sides of MIB, of both sides of ROTM. We just we there 3 weeks ago and noticed tat this was the case. It was fine in the morn but by early afternoon the lines start to get bigger because of it. I did not care to much since we stay onsite and still the EP wait was less than 5-10 min and most of the time walk right on.:thumbsup2

Notatourist
01-11-2009, 08:12 AM
The OP did not mention this at all, but ET has gone from operating with 2 tracks down to 1. The economy is really having a bad impact on the park, it seems. But, it also makes sense for them to cut back on Operational aspects.

You do know there is only one track at ET..right? There's two platforms for loading and unloading, but ONE track.

BuckeyeGuy28
01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
:rotfl: That's what I'm thinking, too.

I noticed that about the line jumpers too. One of my pet peeves is people skipping the line, and I can get worked up about it--probably not healthy:rotfl:

Nie0214
01-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm going solo to Disney Feb 1-3, I don't have Disney tickets. I was just going to resort tour, shop, walk around etc. I've really been deciding on going to IoA one of those days, but with these reports, maybe not!

Metro West
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm going solo to Disney Feb 1-3, I don't have Disney tickets. I was just going to resort tour, shop, walk around etc. I've really been deciding on going to IoA one of those days, but with these reports, maybe not!Oh I think you should still go even if it's for the day. You should have plenty of time to do what you want...just get there early and ride what you want to ride before the crowds arrive.

atricks
01-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm going solo to Disney Feb 1-3, I don't have Disney tickets. I was just going to resort tour, shop, walk around etc. I've really been deciding on going to IoA one of those days, but with these reports, maybe not!

Disney does similar things too in the slower season. IoA/Unversal is absolutely worth going to despite these reports. It's more of a wake up call that things like this aren't appreciated and it's more of a "Please don't go further!" plea. Disney's cutbacks have been pretty severe since Jan 1st too. (Not to mention entire setups like Pleasure Island)

February enters into Mardi Gras time for the parks and that's nearly always fun.

ky07
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree and I wouldn't let these reports stop anyone from going cause Universal s always a fun and exciting place
At least to me and I don't like crowds but Universal is well worth it to me :thumbsup2

Nie0214
01-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I just wasn't planning on going to any parks at all, so I'll just have to decide a few days before if I should call Mears or not. :) Waiting in lines is not something I want to do on this vacation. *sits by the pool and reads* Can't you tell I'm ready to escape the snow?! :laughing:

My Universal Amex is burning a hole in my pocket though. :wizard:

inkkognito
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh I think you should still go even if it's for the day. You should have plenty of time to do what you want...just get there early and ride what you want to ride before the crowds arrive.
Yes, early is good. We tend to go in the afternoon because our Premier Pass FOTL starts at 4 p.m., so by then it's pretty crowded. If you get there first thing, you can get a LOT done before the crowds descend and the lines start backing up.

Bluer101
01-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Universal ans IOA are always a great place to visit. Just some of us are always there (like a second home to us) and notice the changes real easy, but should not discourage you from going.:thumbsup2

donaldduck352
01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Universal ans IOA are always a great place to visit. Just some of us are always there (like a second home to us) and notice the changes real easy, but should not discourage you from going.:thumbsup2

That is true,great advise!!

princessgirl2238
01-14-2009, 09:51 AM
to be honest the only reason we are crowded at universal right now is because of the tour groups. this is our slow season and none of us expected to have so many guests, but it's really crowded and it's because there are more tour groups than usual.
if you are coming just be prepaired- most of these groups are from areas that do not speak english and most of them are teenagers (most don't behave very well to our standards because their culture is different than ours)

muffyn
01-15-2009, 12:59 AM
I did go to guest services and politely filled out a comment form about it, and they asked anyone else who saw this to visit or write guestservices@universalorlando.com and let the management know they should stop this soon or risk a lot of bad blood.

that email bounces back
is there another one?

GuestServicesMonkey
01-15-2009, 02:03 AM
The only contact I know of is directly through the UO website. That is what we give out on our business cards if somebody asks.

http://www.visitorsatisfaction.com/contactus/

Metro West
01-15-2009, 06:37 AM
to be honest the only reason we are crowded at universal right now is because of the tour groups. this is our slow season and none of us expected to have so many guests, but it's really crowded and it's because there are more tour groups than usual.
if you are coming just be prepaired- most of these groups are from areas that do not speak english and most of them are teenagers (most don't behave very well to our standards because their culture is different than ours) Tour groups... :scared1:

inkkognito
01-15-2009, 10:04 AM
Oops, wrong spot!

macraven
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
that email bounces back
is there another one?

that first email address you used was discontinued last year.

kirbsam
01-17-2009, 02:29 PM
dont forget that other orlando resort is also cheaping down. fantasmic two nights per week. same for spectromagic. at least at universal, they arent just pulling the plug on popular items.

rcraw45425
01-17-2009, 04:22 PM
dont forget that other orlando resort is also cheaping down. fantasmic two nights per week. same for spectromagic. at least at universal, they arent just pulling the plug on popular items.

The other resort has also cut back their concert series during flower & garden from every night to just the weekends too.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/guides/epcot/events/ep-flower-garden.htm#flpower

Clifton
01-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Might as well hang up the pass and wait til sometime in 2010 when HP opens. Though I'm not a fan of HP there's nothing wrong with new attractions they come in store for us. Perhaps the only time i'll go is for HHN...AND they better have it at IOA this time.

macraven
01-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Might as well hang up the pass and wait til sometime in 2010 when HP opens. Though I'm not a fan of HP there's nothing wrong with new attractions they come in store for us. Perhaps the only time i'll go is for HHN...AND they better have it at IOA this time.

i wouldn't count on HHN being moved to IOA.
the studios side is larger and can accommodate the event there, especially since the crowds have grown larger.
IOA is just too small of a space to do it up right.

i liked it when it was at the ioa side but can see the difference of it returning to the studio side.
i can remember when they moved hhn from the studios side to ioa, then combined hhn at both parks one year.

i don't love parry hotter also.
but, i am looking forward to new rides being put in.
whatever they are, i'm sure universal will do it first class and with style.

Metro West
01-17-2009, 05:42 PM
i wouldn't count on HHN being moved to IOA.
the studios side is larger and can accommodate the event there, especially since the crowds have grown larger.
IOA is just too small of a space to do it up right.

i liked it when it was at the ioa side but can see the difference of it returning to the studio side.
i can remember when they moved hhn from the studios side to ioa, then combined hhn at both parks one year.
::yes::

A Mickeyfan
01-18-2009, 09:28 PM
You do know there is only one track at ET..right? There's two platforms for loading and unloading, but ONE track.

One track but they do load from both sides, so it is like 2 tracks.. so when people here are saying one, as me.. we are meaning loading one. Yes, I know they merge together.. I would think others do to.. so while there is one track, but 2 loading platforms, cutting down to one platform means you are using half the amount of "bikes".. :sad2: which is still using half the ride..

A Mickeyfan
01-18-2009, 09:30 PM
I was going to go up this weekend and decided not to. I didn't want to deal with the crowds or the "cold" .. yes I said cold... :lmao: for me it is cold this weekend..

Disneyhappy
01-19-2009, 08:50 AM
We visited last weekend and noticed some attractions were not running at full capacity. This is true for WDW as well during slower times. We could not believe how empty the Studios was. IOA had more crowds but wait times still did not compare to spring break and summers IMHO. We usually tour in the Am and relax by the pool in the afternoon to return in the evening. The parks closing at 6 PM put a hitch in that plan so we hung out at IOA until about 3 PM. I will say the crowds were much heavier in the afternoon. Go to the parks before opening and you will hardly have any wait times.

Muushka
01-19-2009, 12:46 PM
The difference between a busy Disney and a busy USF is that at least at a busy Disney you have access to fast passes without having to stay at their resorts or buy them.

Lucky'sMom
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Something that bothered me when my family was there in June, was the "wear and tear" I noticed at various locations throughout the park. For example, in Seuss Landing, the paint was pretty faded on mulitiple attractions/buildings and I even noticed chipped paint on some (Caroseussel). We had been at WDW for a week prior, and the difference in upkeep was noticeable.

ky07
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Something that bothered me when my family was there in June, was the "wear and tear" I noticed at various locations throughout the park. For example, in Seuss Landing, the paint was pretty faded on mulitiple attractions/buildings and I even noticed chipped paint on some (Caroseussel). We had been at WDW for a week prior, and the difference in upkeep was noticeable.
Thats funny cause we were there in July and had plenty of time to look around and never noticed that and trust me my oldest Ds can point out stuff like that in an instance but never heard a peep out of him other than how good things looked

donaldduck352
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Thats funny cause we were there in July and had plenty of time to look around and never noticed that and trust me my oldest Ds can point out stuff like that in an instance but never heard a peep out of him other than how good things looked

Went Saturday.It was busy,but I still look at the little things..Nothing look wore down to me eighter!!:confused3

pixeegrl
01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
me either and we were just there at Christmas time.

macraven
01-19-2009, 06:01 PM

i was there in mid october last year but didn't notice what you posted.

for the Seuss Landing area, that place is always spiffy.
the widow of "Dr. Seuss", has high standards and doesn't allow that island to be in any disarray.

i don't doubt what you said you saw, just saying the parks looked fine to me when i was there after you were.

damo
01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
I know that they paint the Suessland area quite frequently because the bright colours fade so quickly.

inkkognito
01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
Last time we were at USF, walking towards Disaster, it looked like a lot of the shopping carts had been spiffed up with new paint. It was very noticeable.

damo
01-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Last time we were at USF, walking towards Disaster, it looked like a lot of the shopping carts had been spiffed up with new paint. It was very noticeable.

Took me a while to figure out what you meant by shopping carts. I was thinking grocery store and couldn't picture any grocery carts over by Disaster, lol.

minniejack
01-19-2009, 08:34 PM
The difference between a busy Disney and a busy USF is that at least at a busy Disney you have access to fast passes without having to stay at their resorts or buy them.

Uh..would that busy time be that they are out of fastpasses by 10 a.m.?

And you have to make a plan to run from each fastpass attraction to get them. Meaning that you are exhausted from running all over the park to get said "fast" passes...

I like the Motherland and all, but their system isn't the greatest either...

minniejack
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
me either and we were just there at Christmas time.

Ditto for me.

Seems like we are getting several on this side of the boards who want to glorify Disney because nothing is ever wrong with their over priced exhaustion--whoops--I meant vacation.:rolleyes:

Muushka
01-19-2009, 08:39 PM

And you have to make a plan to run from each fastpass attraction to get them. Meaning that you are exhausted from running all over the park to get said "fast" passes...

I guess you are right. But there are rides at WDW that don't run out quite that early.

I am a little jaded after our Jan visit at USF. Give me another visit, I'll be better.:goodvibes

Muushka
01-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Ditto for me.

Seems like we are getting several on this side of the boards who want to glorify Disney because nothing is ever wrong with their over priced exhaustion--whoops--I meant vacation.:rolleyes:

Trust me, that would not be me. I am not afraid of saying the Mouse has no clothes!

I was just very disappointed in my past visit (had not been in 5 years) and the crowds and lack of express pass (which was gone and I didn't realize it). The parks were so crowded it was not worth visiting. Next time I will be prepared.:thumbsup2

Disney does not give me the thrills that USF does!:hyper:

A Mickeyfan
01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
This is a picture of a WDW bus.. real clean hmmm

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/amickeyfan/AS%20Sports%20June%202007/DisneySummer07setc048.jpg

as to the faded paint in Suess Landing, I was there on 12/28 & 1/1 and did not see any faded paint :confused3

A Mickeyfan
01-19-2009, 09:13 PM

but Disney doesn't have single rider lines & Universal does.. now if you don't use them, that doesn't help you. We use them and they are a great benefit to us....:thumbsup2 cuts your wait time down more than express pass or fast pass ::yes::

macraven
01-19-2009, 11:14 PM
i stay on site and can use all the express lines but i do the single rider lines when they are available.

i like having that option.

Muushka
01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
but Disney doesn't have single rider lines & Universal does.. now if you don't use them, that doesn't help you. We use them and they are a great benefit to us....:thumbsup2 cuts your wait time down more than express pass or fast pass ::yes::

Um, I know this isn't a Disney vs USF you-know-what contest, but Disney does have single rider lines for at least one good ride (Test Track comes to mind). And I am pretty sure I remember seeing them at at least 1 or 2 others.

When I was at USF I attempted the single rider lane at Mummy and was discouraged from doing it because they told me the line was about the same and at MIB, the regular line was 60 minutes and the single rider line was 30, not much of a deal to me.

Honestly, I have no dog in this fight, it is just that USF has problems (at least they did when I was there) and I remember being able to go and get to ride a lot of rides (several years ago). I just want to do that again!:cheer2:

Again, I

damo
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Um, I know this isn't a Disney vs USF you-know-what contest, but Disney does have single rider lines for at least one good ride (Test Track comes to mind). And I am pretty sure I remember seeing them at at least 1 or 2 others.

When I was at USF I attempted the single rider lane at Mummy and was discouraged from doing it because they told me the line was about the same and at MIB, the regular line was 60 minutes and the single rider line was 30, not much of a deal to me.

Honestly, I have no dog in this fight, it is just that USF has problems (at least they did when I was there) and I remember being able to go and get to ride a lot of rides (several years ago). I just want to do that again!:cheer2:

Again, I

Disneyland has single rider lines that we have used too. I think certain rides work well with single riders and others don't.

Disneyhappy
01-20-2009, 11:29 AM

This is a great point. It has been my experience that FPs are usually all given out for hot attractions before noon. I love Mickey but IMHO, we visit him less frequently over the last few years due to the ovewhelming crowds and lines, even with FP. We visited the week before TG in 2008 and only went to parks on 2 days and decided to call it quits after that because of the lines. No big deal for us since we love hanging at the resorts as well. Our one goal was to ride the new Toy Story Mania but they ran out of FPs early. We got lucky and won dream fastpasses on RNR so we did end up riding it. I also hate when we get a FP for later in the afternoon. We never spend a whole day in the park. We go back after lunch when the crowds become crazy and hang at the pool. We then usually have plans to have dinner in a different park so we end up giving away the FP before we leave the park. We always schedule our USF visit at the end of our WDW stay. We did USF before WDW one time and were so spoiled by the FOTL that it put a damper on our visit. I do agree that if I stayed offsite that I would miss the express passes that had previsously been available to offsite guests for free.

As far as Suess Island being worn down, I had to laugh because our SIL was with us 2 weekends ago for her first visit. She made a comment about how well maintained USF is and specifically made a comment about Suess Island and the vibrant colors - "The upkeep must cost a lot." Maybe they rehabbed it after the PP's visit?

It is not fair to compare the two icons as they each have wonderful things to offer. I, however, do find that I do not need a vacation to recover after my USF only visits but I do feel like I need one after my WDW visits. WDW is just too dang large with too much to do! LOL!

Muushka
01-20-2009, 11:39 AM
snip....
It is not fair to compare the two icons as they each have wonderful things to offer. I, however, do find that I do not need a vacation to recover after my USF only visits but I do feel like I need one after my WDW visits. WDW is just too dang large with too much to do! LOL!

I agree! We just stayed at BCV and at the end of the 3 days there we were pooped and we didn't even visit much other than Epcot and MGM!

LuvOrlando
01-21-2009, 03:36 PM
-

macraven
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
LuvOrlando, i don't think we are going to see the BOGO ap before parry hotter island opens up.

even for the times i did not use my ap to the fullest for park admission, i was able to renew it forever at the low renewal price.
they finally increased that ap renewal in march 08.
it now is $117.10 for it but still a great deal!

GuestServicesMonkey
01-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Since it costs the same to run the parks regardless of how many people are there why don't they go back to the great 2 years for the price of one year annual pass.

You do realize this is a bit naive. There are certain fixed operational costs such a lighting electricity that do not change based upon attendance, but almost everything else is variable.

As attendance increases, so does staffing and more rides are fully operational running 'both tracks' instead of one with more 'cars'. The operational expense of an attraction can quadruple from slow season to busy season.

As the parks haven't had a truly brand new ride in years, that worked offering AP promotions. With HP opening in 2010, there is a big drive to make people pay to visit. Annual passes do not receive promotions that will extend the year into HP time. Comps expire at the end of 2009 now (unless previously issued with no expiration).

If you also look at the timing of 'promotions', the extra 'free' months usually end up being during a 'slow' period with the buy1/get1 being an exception that resulted in too much revenue loss. There really is no reason to give away so much money when the value of the AP is well worth it

While it is true that tickets are not the biggest source of profit, they are still a good source of revenue and in today's market expescially, every cent is being scrutinized.

lacrosse_lady72
01-22-2009, 02:43 PM
We have noticed this over the past few years. It seems like Universal is very lacking during the slow times. In Sept 2006, it was fine- slow but still felt like Universal. Sept 2007 though, was far from desirable. The parks were basically empty, restaurants opened late, shows started late, tracks weren't open... the whole feeling of the place made me never want to go back EVER.

And we didn't in 2008.

Nor will we in 2009.

Only when the new Harry Potter land is ready will we return but if it's not ready in Sept 2010, we may have to wait until 2011.

The rides are good, Dueling Dragons and Mummy are some of my favorite rides ever but the overall park has to do it for me so spend the time and money getting there.

:goodvibes Come on Universal, help me out.

muffyn
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
I emailed them last week. & actually got a phone call back!
she wanted me to elaborate on my email which I said how dissapointed we are with the way the rides are being run, In december we also had long lines with only one ride vehicle running.
she asked why we didn't complain why we were there.. I said , well I figure I can complain on bad service or injury or something. but figured I had no input on how they run their park & couldn't very well demand that more vehicles are put in service.
um, she had no really answer to WHY there is this problem, actually sounded like she did not know it was happening :confused3 . but did say the emails are sent higher up in the chain & they do want to hear complaints like this.
sooooooo
when in park, complain to guest services & also email!!!

ky07
01-22-2009, 07:28 PM
I emailed them last week. & actually got a phone call back!
she wanted me to elaborate on my email which I said how dissapointed we are with the way the rides are being run, In december we also had long lines with only one ride vehicle running.
she asked why we didn't complain why we were there.. I said , well I figure I can complain on bad service or injury or something. but figured I had no input on how they run their park & couldn't very well demand that more vehicles are put in service.
um, she had no really answer to WHY there is this problem, actually sounded like she did not know it was happening :confused3 . but did say the emails are sent higher up in the chain & they do want to hear complaints like this.
sooooooo
when in park, complain to guest services & also email!!!
I think the person you were talking to is exactly right cause how are they going to know what thier customers think when we never tell guest sevices how we feel about these things if we wait till we get home and do e-mails
Not that it is a bad thing but you can always tell them about it while your there

donaldduck352
01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Maybe its us,but everytime we go we never encounter many problems at all and we go very often!!

Guest service has been great.We had a problem during HHN and without hesitation we got free express passes!!

I agree with GSM,they dont make much money off of AP holders.But they do make it up on the reason that you will spend more money since you get in with your AP.Like restruants-souviners etc..

I'm rambling on here.If you have a problem take it too GS.Dont go with a tude talk and the problem will be resolved,I promise!!

GuestServicesMonkey
01-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Dont go with a tude talk and the problem will be resolved,I promise!!

*giggles a little inside because this is really true*

Going with a 'tude will get you a 'thank you for taking the time to let us know. We will be forwarding your comments on to management for consideration. Thank you (...now get out of my lobby)

Always amazes me that people with pith and vinegar want to yell at someone as if they are personally responsible for 'ruining their vacation (yes! all of it... all over cold french fries) calling you a thief and a liar.... and then asking for your help. Can you guess exactly what this person got? *evil laugh*

ky07
01-23-2009, 12:38 PM

Going with a 'tude will get you a 'thank you for taking the time to let us know. We will be forwarding your comments on to management for consideration. Thank you (...now get out of my lobby)

Always amazes me that people with pith and vinegar want to yell at someone as if they are personally responsible for 'ruining their vacation (yes! all of it... all over cold french fries) calling you a thief and a liar.... and then asking for your help. Can you guess exactly what this person got? *evil laugh*
Take it from someone who has worked in customer service field from regular employee to management and that is if you come with attitude that can you help in a nice and calm way a employee will go out of thier way to help and answer in anyway they can but come in with you need to do this or I demand this only adds fuel to the fire and makes for I could care less attitude toward you and I always liked it when people told me about problems face to face instead of phone calls or emails cause if you think about it we could resolve it while your here and would be able to fix it then

Muushka
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM

This is so true. I didn't get upset with anyone at the park, but I did email them about my disappointment with the parks on my last visit. I got such a nice phone call from them, an apology, and an incentive to visit again!

Metro West
01-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know I went over to Universal today and it was pretty slow. Nothing had a wait longer than 20 mins except the P-Flyers at IOA...but that ride always has a long wait. Everything seemed to be running smoothly and the weather was perfect!