PDA

View Full Version : Universal Islands of Adventure Coaster question!

IndianaSPEED
01-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I have recently got back from my 7 day unlimited pass to Universal Studios. I loved majority of the rides at IOA and a few at USF. I must of ridden the Incredible Hulk, The Mummy, and Dueling Dragons at least 5 times a piece.

As I was approaching Dueling Dragons I saw what looked to be a old Mine Train coaster kinda like the one we have at Six Flags St. Louis. Does anyone know what this once was or will become? Is it the new Harry Potter ride? It looks like its between the Jurassic Park and the Dueling Dragons sections.

Anyone have any idea what I'm seeing? I didn't have my camera with me by then! :guilty:

Thanks. I love IOA!

donaldduck352
01-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Pherhaps Harry potter or was it Phertdon Flyer from that hieght!!:confused3

Bluer101
01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I think you might of saw Flying Unicorn.

IndianaSPEED
01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I believe the Flyer only has one big rail.. Is that correct? I saw like a wild mouse/mine rail ride. It looked like it was comprised of a 3 time downward spiral and a decent drop. You could see the spiral right between the Jurassic and Dragons section. Most of it was hidden behind a white/gray building. It looked pretty old but IOA hasn't been around for too long! I don't know if it was the Harry Potter ride or not, but it looked quite old!

Confused...

the Dark Marauder
01-03-2009, 08:11 PM
It was probably the old Flying Unicorn. It was consumed by the Harry Potter construction and will return fresh faced & HP themed in 2010.

IndianaSPEED
01-03-2009, 08:17 PM
I looked it up on youtube. It was the Flying Unicorn ride!

the Dark Marauder
01-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Please refer to my above post. :cool2:

DOOM1001
01-03-2009, 08:40 PM
It's the Flying Unicorn, a junior coaster that opened about a year after Islands of Adventure opened in 1999.It's not new construction for Harry Potter,it will however likely get a new theme when it reopens.The big major ride for Potter is going in that big building behind Jurrassic Park.

Metro West
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
I believe the Flyer only has one big rail.. Is that correct? I saw like a wild mouse/mine rail ride. It looked like it was comprised of a 3 time downward spiral and a decent drop. You could see the spiral right between the Jurassic and Dragons section. Most of it was hidden behind a white/gray building. It looked pretty old but IOA hasn't been around for too long! I don't know if it was the Harry Potter ride or not, but it looked quite old!

Confused...I believe you're thinking of the Pteranodon Flyers located in the Jurassic Park section of IOA. The ride has one rail as it's an inverted track. The Flying Unicorn was located in The Lost Continent section. The ride you saw was The Flying Unicorn and as other posters have mentioned, it closed in July for the HP construction but will reopen when HP is completed.

tink,too
01-04-2009, 09:45 AM
I sure hope the HP version of this mini-coaster is just as good as Flying Unicorn - my little one loved that ride and will really miss the naughty fairy box if they have done away with that! :lovestruc