View Full Version : DVC problem

02-04-2001, 07:39 AM
We have already made reservations for late June at Dixie Landings (sorry, old habit). We now have an opportunity to buy from resale a great package for us, in the next week. We are hearing that we would probably not be able to use our DVC this year, because of closing time and not being able to make reservations until the closing goes through. This is a problem for us because we do not want to spend an extra $2,000.00 on our reservation for June, on top of what we will pay for our resale. Because of my job, we cannot go any other time than when we are going. Any suggestions or ideas around this? :rolleyes:

02-04-2001, 07:46 AM
It's difficult to say. You really won't know for sure until you close and call member services to check for availability. I just recently called member services to make a reservation at WLV for early May and was able to get the dates that I wanted, but tried to book BWV for two nights the following week and could not get any availability. Boardwalk seems to be very difficult to get into last minute, but not impossible. You may have a good chance of getting a room at OKW or maybe even WLV as new rooms open up all the time as more people buy into that resort. You may need to be a bit flexable, but I wouldn't rule out the idea of being able to stay at a DVC resort. I hope it works out well for you.

02-04-2001, 08:04 AM
Why don't you ask the current owners to make the reservation in now in your name?

02-04-2001, 08:11 AM
Having the current owners make a ressie used to work, but DVC now cancels any reservations made on a resale contract once it is presented for sale- so that won't work. You may be still able to find something for your vacation time, but this is where the need to be flexible is not in your favor. Good Luck!


02-04-2001, 12:59 PM
You may want to keep your current reservations at Dixie Landings and purchase the resale, if you are satisfied with the price. You should close on the resale within six to eight weeks if everything goes smooth. If there is a problem with the resale you would still have your reservations in place at Dixie Landings. Subsequently,after closing, if you can't get a DVC resort you could still use your points to book at other WDW resorts although it is not the most efficient use of your points. At that point you can cancel your cash Dixe Landing resevations. I think if you cancel within 30 days there is no penalty, or it maybe 48 hours on cash reservations. There is also a fee you can pay to expedite the processing of your resale, which I think is $ 45. You may want to discuss this with the broker. I offer this suggestion because it seems resales are getting hard to obtain. Right now it is a sellers market. You maybe able to do both without any additional cost. Anyway just a thought! Good luck I am sure things will work out for you!!!

02-04-2001, 01:04 PM
Why don't you have a current member (not the person you're buying from) make the ressies for you? When you close, you can transfer the appropriate number of points to their account.

02-04-2001, 01:48 PM
The transfer idea or any number of several variations is a good one. Just remember that banked and borrowed points can't be transferred. I'd still have the seller make the reservations and put it in the contract. Do keep your backup reservations just in case.


02-04-2001, 02:26 PM
thanks for all the ideas. I forgot to mention one other thing. We would have 200 banked points, what would we do with those?

02-04-2001, 04:05 PM
Why don't you reach an agreement with the seller to "rent" for your upcoming trip and use the 200 banked points or whatever of them you can. Delay your closing until after your trip. Pay an amount upfront that tells the seller he's protected but low enough that if things fall through, you're not really out. Something around $5-7 pp seems reasonable. Your agreement would reduce the sale price by the amount you've already paid. I know there are risks in this method but it does handle the concerns and delimas in this situation.


02-04-2001, 04:05 PM
If you can't use the banked points for DVC, next try them at the resorts, if that fails look up the concierge collection and plan a trip to one of the wonderful places on the list- if that fails Rich told me you can bank them with II for a future trade within 2 years. Last option:Find friend, family, acquaintance who wants to go down and make ressie for them and charge them $5-10/pt.

02-05-2001, 09:38 AM
Gosh, you know what? Don't worry about it!! You have 200 banked points,plus this years points!! You go ahead with the resale!! When you close, just make a reservation for one of the other deluxe resorts!! It really isn't the "best" use of points, but how many times will you stay at the Floridian for instance? I calcuated the WDW hotel savings to be about 50% when using points... so go ahead! I'm sure that once you close you WILL get a reservation at one of the Disney resorts! YOu could even stay at the Coronado on points, but it makes far more sense to stay at the deluxe, since it's not that many more points! You also might get real lucky & get DVC accomodations!! Good luck! It will be a great move on your part!

02-05-2001, 10:40 PM
If you do not close in time to make use of your new DVC points, you could always "rent" the points to a family member, a friend or to someone at your office. We bought a resale once which came with more points than we could use, and my hubby asked around his office if anyone would be interested in renting the points--I believe the going rate is about $10.00 per point. We had no problems using the points--they were not wasted and we had a little extra cash. The only problem is--now everyone at his office is constantly wanting to use our points. LOL!! We use them ourselves now with no problem.

Phil and Mary Jo

WDW--82,83,85,87,89,93,95,96, 97,98,99,00,01