PDA

View Full Version : Universal Yesterday...

BuckeyeGuy28
12-29-2008, 09:27 PM
Anybody have pics, stories, memories, or fun stuff that regards Universal back in the day (from 1991 when it first opened to 1999 to when it became a resort to the last time you remember something changing;) )? If so, post them! I just realized how much the place has changed, so let this be a sort of time capsule. It'd be kind of funny to see what we'd do with or without some of the things that were only back then...

macraven
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
i went in june 1992.

still have the ticket and parking stubs from the first trip.
we took a day off from the disney parks and hit universal.

it was so thrilling for us, we ended going back for 2 more days that week.
we were hooked from the start for that place.....

the tram ride through parts of the park was a highlight for us.
we were so sad when that was discontinued.

some of the shows of the past we still miss.
Murder She Wrote, Ghostbuster show, the orignal HRC, Wild West show and the lagoon water show at the end of the night........

(i have found some of the original shows on you tube recently.)

The original entrance for the studios had large plants on each side.
each year i would take pictures of my 3 sons by them.
each year my kids would grow and so would the potted plants there.
that's one personal memory that will always stay with me.

macraven
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
and.....i still can remember the prices at RPH when it was $89/night and HRH at $112 a night.

those days are long gone........

Metro West
12-30-2008, 06:44 AM
and.....i still can remember the prices at RPH when it was $89/night and HRH at $112 a night.

those days are long gone........ Those were the days!

Metallicat
12-30-2008, 01:58 PM
I remember the old psycho house, when Monster Cafe was the Commissary, and the old Phamtom of the opera set up inside the Horror make-up show. I remember the trams and back lot tour. I also remember part of "The Wall" and I had my picture taken in front of it with my Pink Floyd shirt on.
here is an old picture with my DD in front of the globe. (the blonde) I believe it was taken a couple of months after the Studios first opened. DD is 27 now. :) we have been going to Universal every year since it first opened. usually, 2 or 3 times a year with our last visit during horror nights 2008.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/lga2461/SundaySeptember172006.jpg

DOOM1001
12-30-2008, 05:50 PM
My first visit was when they had the 2nd Halloween Horror Nights back like in 1992.The event was nothing compared to what they do with the event nowadays,but I thought it was the coolest thing ever.Back to the Future was the "IT" ride and I remember waiting like over an hour for the ride,which I also thought was the coolest thing!All the classic attractions that are gone now were there and there are still some that I miss like King Kong and Hannah Barbera.It's amazing how it's all changed over the years.

donaldduck352
12-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Man I remember all this!!Good Times!!:thumbsup2

BuckeyeGuy28
01-01-2009, 09:57 AM
I remember the old psycho house, when Monster Cafe was the Commissary, and the old Phamtom of the opera set up inside the Horror make-up show. I remember the trams and back lot tour. I also remember part of "The Wall" and I had my picture taken in front of it with my Pink Floyd shirt on.

What was "The Wall"?:confused3

Dznefreek
01-01-2009, 12:16 PM
A part of the Berlin wall. It was next to the Beatles Magical Mystery bus that was parked outside the original Hard Rock Cafe.
The basic park structure has not changed much with the exception of Fievel's Play land and the Barney/Curious George area. CW used to be the parking lot

donaldduck352
01-01-2009, 07:08 PM
A part of the Berlin wall. It was next to the Beatles Magical Mystery bus that was parked outside the original Hard Rock Cafe.
The basic park structure has not changed much with the exception of Fievel's Play land and the Barney/Curious George area. CW used to be the parking lot

WOW I remember that..I know I got a picture of that.Just finding it in one of the 20 albulms I got..A needle in the haystack!

inkkognito
01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
I remember our first visits, before IOA, when the parking garages didn't exist. Ah, those were the days!

fairfax
01-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Does anyone remember the Star Trek movie attraction they had? You could go in, they'd dress you in Star Trek uniforms and you would 'act' out scenes in front of a blue screen, and then you could buy a tape of it with the background, special effects, and other actors added in. I did this with my DH and mom (I think it was 1994 or 95), and it was hilarious. I was the captain and my mom was the Vulcan, I think DH was an extra or something. Very embarrasing blackmail material to watch now!!

Dznefreek
01-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Yes it was in the area that is now the entrance to ROTM and it was the IOA preview area prior to that.

Planogirl
01-03-2009, 12:49 AM
I've always regretted not getting the chance to ride Kong. It was back in the Mummy building wasn't it?

dolphindan1
01-03-2009, 05:46 AM
I've always regretted not getting the chance to ride Kong. It was back in the Mummy building wasn't it?

I loved Kong I hated seeing that go...

Metro West
01-03-2009, 08:43 AM
I've always regretted not getting the chance to ride Kong. It was back in the Mummy building wasn't it? Yes...the whole queue area looked like the subway tunnels in NYC. I was completely shocked when ROTM first opened and saw the difference in the queue. It was a fun ride.

macraven
01-03-2009, 09:09 AM
I loved Kong I hated seeing that go...

Kong ruled.......

:sad1:

dolphindan1
01-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Kong ruled.......

They should have kept kong and got rid of Disaster or was it Earthquake at the time...

Metallicat
01-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Kong ruled.......

I remember several years ago at Horror nights, they had a walk through area inside Kong and we got to walk through the inside street under where the trams would go. I remember how neat it was to stand at the bottom and look up at Kong and see how huge he really was.

I miss Kongfrontation. :sad1:

BuckeyeGuy28
01-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Kong was so awesome! Mummy is good, but that ride with the giant ape was so...different, I guess, and fun that nothing will ever come close to it. Back to the Future was also a favorite of mine...gone!:sad1:

Dax
01-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I was among the last to ride Kong...Was there for its last day...remember them passing out banana's to the crowds out front..Good Times.

The Berlin Wall piece is still around, its now at the back of HRC, the new one at least..We used to see it all the time when taking as my DH called it, "The Super Secret Back Entrance" to the Studios. Of course the gate is still there, and still rarely used:woohoo:

Dh remembers the Psycho house, and the old HRC. He also remembers the time before Citywalk and IOA. I don't. I have only known it with Citywalk, IOA and the Studios. I DO remember though when HRH, and RPH did not exist.

Metro West
01-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Dh remembers the Psycho house, and the old HRC. He also remembers the time before Citywalk and IOA. I don't. I have only known it with Citywalk, IOA and the Studios. I DO remember though when HRH, and RPH did not exist. I remember the Psycho house and the days before CityWalk. The last time I went...before I moved here was in 1997. Here's a picture of the old HRC taken from the Curious George area of the Studios. Yup...it's still there:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/VaNative/Universal%20Studios/DSC01675.jpg

SharkyGoddess
01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
here is an old picture with my DD in front of the globe. (the blonde) I believe it was taken a couple of months after the Studios first opened. DD is 27 now. :) we have been going to Universal every year since it first opened. usually, 2 or 3 times a year with our last visit during horror nights 2008.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/lga2461/SundaySeptember172006.jpg

Ohhhh the old Psycho house!!!! I was devastated when we went back and that was gone! :sad1:

I must say, I need to pull out the old pics and show them to my kids. I've been in love with US since my first trip!

SharkyGoddess
01-04-2009, 08:07 PM

Kong was great! I'm really not a fan of monkeys, but that ride was really incredible.

ksdave
01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Here is a couple of pictures from the queue for Kong:

http://members.cox.net/dborden1/graphics/feb10_34.jpg

http://members.cox.net/dborden1/graphics/feb10_47.jpg

La2kw
01-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Ohhhh the old Psycho house!!!! I was devastated when we went back and that was gone! :sad1:

I must say, I need to pull out the old pics and show them to my kids. I've been in love with US since my first trip!

The Psycho house and the Bates Motel still exist at Universal Studios Hollywood. Norman Bates can often be seen in front of the hotel, loading a body into the trunk of the car parked in the parking lot. Mother watches it all from the upstairs window as he notices your tram and he comes after you...

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s84/la2kw/SanFranciscoJuly08074.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s84/la2kw/SanFranciscoJuly08075.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s84/la2kw/SanFranciscoJuly08077.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s84/la2kw/SanFranciscoJuly08076.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s84/la2kw/SanFranciscoJuly08078.jpg

BuckeyeGuy28
01-05-2009, 06:49 PM
I've only been to the Studios when Citywalk and IOA were with it. Was that area just Universal parking lot before they converted it?
Oh yeah, and I remember that the Alfred Hitchcock tribute was an attraction but was the Psycho house anything? That's where Curious George is now, right?

Oh yeah, does anybody remember the days before Men in Black ride? Hard to imagine the park without that ride and its good-looking building!:rotfl:

zenshome
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
The last time we were there we were told the old Hard Rock is just used for storage. Are there any plans to do anything with it?:confused3

Metro West
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
The last time we were there we were told the old Hard Rock is just used for storage. Are there any plans to do anything with it?:confused3Not sure...I think it would be a terrific area for HHN...an old building that's no longer used. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

SLK1
01-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Does anybody remember that old place I think they called it "The Boneyard" where they had props like cars from Jurassic Park and neat stuff like that? I guess they had to get rid of that to make room for the new roller coaster? Anyway, neat place:love:

Metro West
01-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Does anybody remember that old place I think they called it "The Boneyard" where they had props like cars from Jurassic Park and neat stuff like that? I guess they had to get rid of that to make room for the new roller coaster? Anyway, neat place:love:Yeah...in recent times it was used for the Mardi Gras concerts and as a holding area for HHN Stay & Scream as well as other HHN related areas.

ksdave
01-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Does anybody remember that old place I think they called it "The Boneyard" where they had props like cars from Jurassic Park and neat stuff like that? I guess they had to get rid of that to make room for the new roller coaster? Anyway, neat place:love:

Actually, I remember when the boneyard had all the props, etc. from the Flintstones movie in it. I still have old pictures (not digital) of my kids in Fred's car :thumbsup2 . Someday I have to scan those and post them here.

Cindy B
01-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Actually, I remember when the boneyard had all the props, etc. from the Flintstones movie in it. I still have old pictures (not digital) of my kids in Fred's car :thumbsup2 . Someday I have to scan those and post them here.

I have the same pics.

And speaking of flintstones, I have pictures of the exit area of the Hanna Barbera ride-- instead of Spongebob, you got to get pics with the Flintstones, and could sit in a foot powered car and all that.

I also have pics from USH in 1984.

SharkyGoddess
01-08-2009, 07:59 AM
The Psycho house and the Bates Motel still exist at Universal Studios Hollywood. Norman Bates can often be seen in front of the hotel, loading a body into the trunk of the car parked in the parking lot. Mother watches it all from the upstairs window as he notices your tram and he comes after you...

:sad1: I miss this!!! I need to show this to Babboo and the kids, they never got to see it. Thanks for posting pics! I don't have any of Norman, just the house.

A Mickeyfan
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
The ET ride had the two choices, you could sit on the bikes (totally different than they are now) or the space ship. At the end of the ride you also got a free phone call from AT&T to "Call Home"!

You were able to walk from your car to the Studios.. or take the tram. I still have my free second day admission ticket they were giving away when they first opended up because everything wasn't working. If I have the time & I can dig it out, I will try to scan it... not sure if I can dig it out though. It is packed away with my childrens baby things. Yes, it was a souvie that I was keeping from my childrens frist Universal trip.. all they way from NY/CT area.. and now we live 3 hours away....and have for the last 17 years :cool1: We moved down to FL not too long after they opened. I do have to admit, Disney was the reason I really wanted to live here.. ;) and now I now longer even have an AP to Disney, I let that one expire. The kids are older (much), their tastes have changed.. & we like thrill rides.. :thumbsup2

BuckeyeGuy28
01-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Does anybody know anything about this; when US first planned to put hotels in they wanted there to be five, but after Royal Pacific didn't fill up, they stopped...? Now they've got all that extra land

Babboo
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
:sad1: I miss this!!! I need to show this to Babboo and the kids, they never got to see it. Thanks for posting pics! I don't have any of Norman, just the house.

She did and now I'm sad I never got to see this in person. I've been going back between stills from the movie and this set and it's incredible. Man what I have missed . . .

La2kw
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
She did and now I'm sad I never got to see this in person. I've been going back between stills from the movie and this set and it's incredible. Man what I have missed . . .

This is the actual set. They have filmed plenty of movies on the backlot.

BuckeyeGuy28
01-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Just tryin to keep this alive--great info!!:cool1:

tricky1
01-22-2009, 10:51 AM
They have came a long way ,and still going.

This site has some cool pics www.theuniversalevolution.com

Bluer101
01-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Over between Simpson's ( Aka BTTF ) and Wild Wild West Show ( aka Fear Factor ) where MIB is now used to be Kevin Cosner's boat from the movie Waterworld.

BuckeyeGuy28
01-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Evolution of Universal...cool site:clown:

macraven
01-22-2009, 09:12 PM

:eek:

holy cow batman............there really is a Babboo.....

i remember one post that sharky made and mentioned a Babboo.

i'm too embarrassed to say what i thought babboo was or is......

DOOM1001
01-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Does anybody know anything about this; when US first planned to put hotels in they wanted there to be five, but after Royal Pacific didn't fill up, they stopped...? Now they've got all that extra land

Last I heard there were plans for like 2 more hotels,some condo style housing for international workers or students and possible space for if they ever decide to close Wet n Wild and move the waterpark onsite.I know I've seen artwork for the hotels and a map of where they will go in the property, but with the state of the economy I don't know if it's just being put on hold or what.If they do these additions it pretty much leaves no more room on the property,I still don't understand why they sold the land they had on the other side of International Drive.

macraven
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Last I heard there were plans for like 2 more hotels,some condo style housing for international workers or students and possible space for if they ever decide to close Wet n Wild and move the waterpark onsite.I know I've seen artwork for the hotels and a map of where they will go in the property, but with the state of the economy I don't know if it's just being put on hold or what.If they do these additions it pretty much leaves no more room on the property,I still don't understand why they sold the land they had on the other side of International Drive.

i heard that also about 2.5 years ago and haven't heard any updates on it.

i would hope more for more park expansion and more rides and shows put in eventually in the future.

Joann
01-22-2009, 10:02 PM
OMG .. ok I thought i was going nuts that I saw the Bates hotel and everytime we go to Universal I kinda keep to myself and look around for it cause I always think I am missing it like thinking it was on the back lot tour?? But it was really there and I did see it years ago LOL Thanks I am not going NUTS!

DOOM1001
01-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Those pictures of the Bates Motel are in Universal in California,the one down here is gone!

JLTraveling
01-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Haha, I have you all beat...I actually spent the night in the Psycho house (the one in Orlando) in 1992. :cool1: I was a 16-year-old Kong spieler, and my roommate/sort-of bf was a lead. He talked me into it, and can I just say I spent the entire night freaked out!! It was fun though.

I love this thread...keep 'em coming, it brings back great memories :thumbsup2

BuckeyeGuy28
01-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Just keeping it alive, for you AND me JLTraveling. This stuff is really neatpopcorn::

SharkyGoddess
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
:eek:

holy cow batman............there really is a Babboo.....

i remember one post that sharky made and mentioned a Babboo.

i'm too embarrassed to say what i thought babboo was or is......

:rotfl2:

I missed this until now!!!! Yup Babboo!!!

Hedy
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Sigh. I wimped out of Kong when I was 12, and I was too much of a goody-goody to see the Hitchcock show that same trip (as it was PG-13). :sad2:
Poking around online-it appears that Beetlejuice used to be a touch more kid-friendly, anyone remember that?

Lucky4me
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
My last name used to be Bates and we went nuts buying Bates Motel souvies. Towels, robes, do not disturb door hangers, ashtrays, magnets, you name it, we bought it. Now I am no longer a Bates, but my kids still have some of the stuff in their homes.
I miss Kong and Back To The Future. Haven't gone on Simpsons yet, but I have a feeling I won't like it as much as BTTF. I loved that ride.

I was wondering if they still do Grinchmas and the Whoville Celebration? That was really adorable and the makeup on the characters was incredible.

xApril
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
My last name used to be Bates and we went nuts buying Bates Motel souvies. Towels, robes, do not disturb door hangers, ashtrays, magnets, you name it, we bought it. Now I am no longer a Bates, but my kids still have some of the stuff in their homes.
I miss Kong and Back To The Future. Haven't gone on Simpsons yet, but I have a feeling I won't like it as much as BTTF. I loved that ride.

I was wondering if they still do Grinchmas and the Whoville Celebration? That was really adorable and the makeup on the characters was incredible.
They still do Grinchmas and Whoville Celebration. :)

I miss King Kong and Back to the Future. I rode them mostly when I was younger. It was always a love-hate relationship. One time I'd cry, the next time I'd love it...

DISNEYLOVER70
03-31-2010, 09:09 AM
After I read this thread, I went and dug out my old vhs video tape of my parents, sister and I in the Star Trek movie.......... OMG!!! I laughed so hard I was crying....My father has since passed away and it brought tears to my eyes to see him dressed up in his Captains uniform and hear his voice again...:lovestruc Happy tears of course

I remember the Psyhco House too! I had forgotten all about it and the ride...Great thread!!! Thanks for jogging my memory........Keep the memories coming! I have a ton of pics but none are digital and no scanner :mad:

I will have to work on that!

FINFAN
03-31-2010, 09:38 AM

SOOOOOOOOO COOOOOL! Thanks for posting, omg, love it! He has the knife and everything!

Melanie230
03-31-2010, 11:50 AM
We went to Universal Studios in Hollywood in 1993. I remember the old Kit car (Night Rider) so funny that thing was talking to me.

Melanie230
03-31-2010, 11:51 AM
SOOOOOOOOO COOOOOL! Thanks for posting, omg, love it! He has the knife and everything!

I SO REMEMBER THAT!!! So fun!!!

Willow1213
03-31-2010, 07:57 PM
I remember when you could actually go into the Nick studios and watch a show being filmed. We watched GUTS and my dad ate slime! I was probably 9 so it was really cool. I remember riding E.T. (not on a bike) and LOVING the Hannah Barbara ride (now Jimmy Neutron). I remember eating at the original HRC. When did they build the hotels? Was that around the same time IOA opened? I don't remember there being an onsite hotel.

We moved to Atlanta before IOA was opened and I got to go for the first time in high school. Finally went back to Universal Studios in May and really enjoyed it. It looked like a completely different park!

Jolly Ole Bert
04-03-2010, 08:41 PM
These aren't my videos, but definitely worth a watch for USF nastalgia/old-school buffs. :thumbsup2

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqpEeH1HpYI

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRdgfvQNZuw

Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2e026bxHE

Part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sdf1iMctD0

Part 5: (((KONG)))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ut0876u2fA

Part 6:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnrAGLT1ilA

Part 7:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1JEvaD48jk

Part 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4HTRBKtygQ

chrisn
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Just a memory...

About the backlot tour with King Kong at USH. We first went back in 1989 and my daughter was 13 months old at the time. We were on that tram. As soon as the little angel got a load of KONG, she blew a baby fuse. Started screaming and trying to claw and gouge her way up and over my head and off the tram.

I felt so bad and I'm sure all the people on the tram felt bad and pissed!

Because of the traumatic babyhood experience, she had an extreme fear of anything even remotely resembling any type of monkey or ape all through her younger childhood. We had to leave a furniture store once as they had an ape character and she freaked to put it mildly. She was about 3 at the time. Another time, we had to quit trick-or-treating on Halloween becuase there was an apeman with glowing red eyes. NOT PRETTY would be making it a serious understatement! She was 4. Don't even think about a visit to the zoo! She KNEW they were there!

LOL! Never fear though, I am happy to say that she is now an intelligent, well adjusted, beautiful young woman of 22 and she misses Kong at USF and is VERY excited to see the new KONG at USH sometime!