PDA

View Full Version : Georgia/ N. Florida Break Point for VA to Disney Trip

69RoadRunner
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM
In May, I'll be taking the family and the out-laws to Disney from Virginia, just outside the DC Beltway.

I'm only a few miles from 95, so I'll be taking that all the way down. I THINK I can get the crew to leave early from our house. I'm not certain I could have that luck 2 days in a row.

I'd like to get deep into Georgia or maybe even hit northern Florida the first day. That way I'll have a short drive on day 2, and we can enjoy the Fort in the afternoon/evening.

I'll have a 40' MH and pulling a toad (no, not the Road Runner), so I'd like a pull-through place near the interstate. Amenities aren't important.

I'd like a few options, depending on how far we get. I'll be the only one driving. I've never done a long trip like this in the MH. I keep my speed around 60 in the MH, mostly to keep things simple and minimize lane changes.

Google says a straight shot would take between 13 and 14 hours, but that's in a car and without stopping. I'm hoping I can leave at 5 AM and go for 10 hours. In May, that should leave plenty of light for setting up.

Thanks!

DznyRulz
12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
Howdy! Welcome to disboards. We must be neighbors, I also live just outside the DC Beltway, about a mile from I95 (exit 166). For our yearly travels to WDW we always stop at the Flying J in Brunswick, GA. On our return trip we stop at the Flying J in Kenly, NC. We're not into amenities either and would rather get to WDW as soon as possible. I know overnighting at a truck stop is not everyone's cup of tea but it suits us just fine. We usually leave around 10am but I've never really noticed when we reached Brunswick. We stop a few times on the road for breaks but I don't think we've gotten there too late. Our best time driving, without towing, was 13 hours, towing about 16 hours to WDW or back.

69RoadRunner
12-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Howdy! Welcome to disboards. We must be neighbors, I also live just outside the DC Beltway, about a mile from I95 (exit 166). For our yearly travels to WDW we always stop at the Flying J in Brunswick, GA. On our return trip we stop at the Flying J in Kenly, NC. We're not into amenities either and would rather get to WDW as soon as possible. I know overnighting at a truck stop is not everyone's cup of tea but it suits us just fine. We usually leave around 10am but I've never really noticed when we reached Brunswick. We stop a few times on the road for breaks but I don't think we've gotten there too late. Our best time driving, without towing, was 13 hours, towing about 16 hours to WDW or back.

I need to put out my slides since the out-laws will be with us. We can't expand the sofabed unless the slides are out. So, I would really need to use a campground.

My wife has made trips to Brunswick because she supports a computer system used by Customs people at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

I'm in Springfield.

Thanks!!

drafthorsecrazy
12-29-2008, 04:56 PM
We usually stop at exit 1 in Ga. It is the last exit before entering Fla. There are two campgrounds here, a KOA and Country Oaks. I am currently at a site in Country Oaks and will be pulling out in the morning for Disney. They only have around a dozen overnight pull thru sites so I would recommend reservations. Nothing fancy but serves the purpose of a quiet, safe stop.
http://www.countryoaksrv.com/

Shan-man
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
I am hesitant to mention it because the facilities are poorly maintained, but you said you don't use them, so... Osprey CG is the first one in Florida and every site is a pull-thru. They are very close to the interstate but are pretty quiet despite that fact. The $35 per night strikes me as way to expensive for what they offer, but it may be a good deal for you. The only other all-pull-thru CG I know of on I-95 is Pedro's South of the Border, but I expect you will be well past the NC/SC line by time you stop, but perhaps on your return?

rapriebe
12-29-2008, 06:25 PM
We usually stop at exit 1 in Ga. It is the last exit before entering Fla. There are two campgrounds here, a KOA and Country Oaks. http://www.countryoaksrv.com/

We also stop at this exit when heading to Disney but we use the KOA (N. Jaxville, KOA). When we were there in October it was $26.71. All of their sites are pull through and the staff is extremely helpful and very friendly. There is a Hess station at the exit with cheap gas and a Wendy's also.

When we are heading home we stay at the Point South KOA in Beaufort, SC. It's kinda expensive ~$45 (don't remember exactly) but they have a nice hot tub which is great after the long drive. Most of their sites are pull through. There is a Denny's at this exit also.

DznyRulz
12-29-2008, 07:12 PM
My wife has made trips to Brunswick because she supports a computer system used by Customs people at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

I'm in Springfield.

This is too eerie. Tell you wife I worked 8 years at NDC2, one in Tysons and the last two at Beauregard. I'll just bet I know her. We live, physically, in Newington but our post office is Lorton. As for the slides, I understand. We usually park along the edge of the parking lot so we can extend the curbside slides.

69RoadRunner
12-29-2008, 08:10 PM
This is too eerie. Tell you wife I worked 8 years at NDC2, one in Tysons and the last two at Beauregard. I'll just bet I know her. We live, physically, in Newington but our post office is Lorton. As for the slides, I understand. We usually park along the edge of the parking lot so we can extend the curbside slides.

I still work at NDC2 until they move us in February. I sent you a PM. Small world.

Old Snipe
01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
That's alot of driving for one person in one day. Have you considered boondocking in a Flying J? That's what I do when I go to FT Wilderness.

There is one at exit 106 in NC, another in SC, can't think of the exit off the top of my head but its around Dillon, another in GA at exit 24, another in St Augistine, FL. Have to watch for signs for that one. Also, you can o/nite at the FL welcome center, they have security patrols to ensure your safety.

What a goof, I spend alot of time at FLETC as a guest instructor. Will be there 2 Feb-19 April. Also, heaaded to Ft Wilderness on 14 Jan, for a 16-23 Jan stay from Gainesville.

Small World, eh? ;)

Best Regards!

dtum
01-03-2009, 05:41 AM
Last trip we stopped at Flamingo Lake RV resort for our over-night. It's just off 295 in JAX. This trip we are aiming for Pecan Park north of JAX because it's right off 95. Our goal is to get out early and through JAX before the traffic gets heavy so we always stop just north. :yay:

69RoadRunner
01-03-2009, 06:03 AM
My wife was one the programmers on the TRAEN system that tracks training.

We'll see how things go on the way down. We'll have the option of stopping when the bus driver gets tired. I'm sure the rest of my family will plot against me and my plans.:eek:

seabee
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
We also stop at the Brunswick, GA Flying J and the Kenly Flying J. If you parked in a more open spot you may be able to use the slide outs.

Not to hijack your thread(sorry) but since you and Chris live close to the belt, can you suggest a route for me to take that will avoid the whole Baltimore/DC mess on 95 S? I'm heading down from Maine in Oct. and in the past have taken 81-64-95, which wasn't bad at all, but I would like to stay closer to 95 instead of going so far west and having to cut back. I know a lot of people take 287, but where do you go from there, lol?

DznyRulz
01-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Nicole,

I've lived in Northern VA my whole life so I'm used to the traffic that can, and usually does, happen. What I've told other folks is that timing is everything when driving the Balt/DC corridor. Time of day and day of the week makes all the difference. It is possible to drive around Balt and DC in 2 hours or less. In fact we did it on Christmas Day, from my BIL's house in Cockeysville, MD to my parents house in Fredericksburg, VA (37 miles past my house) in 2 hours. Some folks prefer to just stay away from the area all together. They'll take the 81-64-95 or 81-66-17-95 and others will take 97 (s. of Balt) to 301 and pick up 95 around Richmond. Me, I make it easy and just go a half mile and take 95 south and don't get off until I hit I4 near Daytona. As it gets closer to your travel dates post this question again and I'm sure some folks will have other suggestions and more current construction info.

69RoadRunner
01-05-2009, 04:09 AM
I agree with Chris. Just don't hit this area during the rush hours. You'll hit a slow down between Springfield and Woodbridge in the middle of the day before the HOV lanes switch to Southbound. However, that's only about 6 miles, so it's not a big deal.

The amount of time you add by swinging around the area is greater than that slowdown.

Try to hit the DC Beltway around noon. By the time you hit 95 South of the beltway, the HOV lanes will be open Southbound, and that will take away some of the traffic.

tybeebeth
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Blythe Island Regional Park just off I-95 near Brunswick has big, pull-through sites with full hookups, wi-fi, and cable for a very reasonable price.

Brer Bear
01-11-2009, 02:19 AM
http://www.newgreenacres.com/

This is a really nice campground at exit 58 in SC near Savannah. All sites are pull through and it is easy in easy out right off 95. I've stayed at Country Oaks also...nice place too!

I may try the boondocking at the Florida visitors center this year...is that right at the GA/Fla line? I can't remember!

69RoadRunner
01-11-2009, 06:17 AM
I hope I can get further south than Green Acres, but if we can't make it that far, that sounds like a good option.

Shan-man
01-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the recommend, I'll stow that away for the next time we get a late start... it's about my half-way point.

Old Snipe
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM

This is a really nice campground at exit 58 in SC near Savannah. All sites are pull through and it is easy in easy out right off 95. I've stayed at Country Oaks also...nice place too!

I may try the boondocking at the Florida visitors center this year...is that right at the GA/Fla line? I can't remember!

It is shortly after the GA/FL state line. Stayed there two trips back, easy in/out and has 24 hour security, so don't mis-behave! :laughing:

Best Regards!

drafthorsecrazy
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Oops....nevermind....I read that wrong

Bluefamily
01-28-2009, 06:04 AM
We always stay at the Fl. line so we have a short drive the next day. One word of caution though- we used to leave early on the 2nd day (8:00 am) and have twice had to wait several hours in overflow for our site to be ready. It's not a big deal and we usually find something to do, but it's a pain to come back later and break up the day.

Now we just have a lazy morning and take our time on the 2nd day. We try to arrive around 2:00.

disney4dan
01-28-2009, 03:12 PM

I second the choice of newgreenacres if you need to stop that early. We hit that place on the first night out of the Fort and thought it was great.