View Full Version : Looking for simple answers to simple questions
02-05-2001, 10:39 AM
In all of the discussions on the pros/cons of DVC, I haven't yet been able to figure out the answers to some basic questions.
(1) If you are a DVC member, do you have privileges that allow you to swim at any pool on any Disney resort at WDW? It SOUNDS like this is true -- but it's never mentioned as a small benefit for members.
(2) When you purchase additional points (after the initial purchase), what happens if your original points were purchased at OKW and your add-on points purchased at VWL? Do you get to take advantage of the 11-month reservation window at either resort? If so, why not buy the bulk of your points at Vero Beach, then a handful of points at each DVC location?
02-05-2001, 10:48 AM
Hi Dennis, Welcome to DIS.
1. Yes, this is called Pool Hopping. It is allowed unless a resorts pool is filled by the folks staying there. This has only been enforced at Storm a long bay during Easter time.
2. You only have the 11 mo. booking on points you own at each resort.
[This message was edited by BillPA on 02-05-01 at 01:56 PM.]
02-05-2001, 10:51 AM
1. While staying at a DVC resort on points, members are allowed to use pools at other resorts. This is subject to availability however; during Easter week pool-hopping was suspended for Stormalong Bay at the Yacht & Beach Club.
2. Only points that belong to the resort tht you're planning to stay at can be used more than seven months in advance. In your example, the bulk of your points would be usable only at VB at the 7+ month mark.
02-05-2001, 10:56 AM
You can pool hop to any pool except it appears the ones at the new AKL. Also, Stormalong Bay at BC is usually closed to members during the two weeks surrounding Easter. 11 month window applies only to the particular resorts points. If you have half at OKW and an extra 50 at VB, those VB points can be used at OKW only with the 7 month window.
02-05-2001, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the help! I guess the answer on the additional points makes sense...That indicates to me that you should buy as many points as you can before the DVC location is sold out, or take your chances on the resale market. Unless you are making multiple trips a year, it makes no sense to buy at more than one location.
02-05-2001, 11:05 AM
Just a reminder that all DVC benefits are subject to change and/or cancellation at any time. This hasn't happened nor is it expected to but there is the possibility that the pool hopping could be dropped. It's not a guaranteed "perk".
One reason for buying at multiple resorts (especially HHI and Vero) is to plan a vacation that uses both at the same time. Lots of folk add either HHI or Vero on to their Disney vacations. They can book the whole thing at 11 months out if they have points at both.
02-05-2001, 11:08 AM
I forgot that Animal Kingdom Lodge was off-limits for pool-hopping. Thanks for pointing that out, drusba.
There's other reasons for owning at more than one resort. Don't forget, you can bank and borrow points. My wife and I like to stay at OKW when we take our whole (extended) family, so the bulk of our points is there. Every second year or so, though, the two of us go down for a week. On these trips, we like to stay at BWV. So we bought enough BWV points so that we could get a 1BR there every second year.
02-05-2001, 11:49 AM
I agree with Jimbo but I have points at both BW and WL for use in December every other year for a 1-bedroom. Or when older and don't have to work a studio in both places every year.
Ask a Disney Vacation Guide to mail you a copy of the public offfering statement. It reads like an insurance policy but it includes all the benefits.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.