PDA

View Full Version : Planning trip for 2010

jennyopenny
12-17-2008, 05:41 PM
:worship: All you Disney Guru's...may I pick your brain?

We are taking our twins to WDW for their 4th b-day in September or October, 2010. (their first trip...oldest ds's 2nd)
What can I do to plan ahead? Can I book, and make payments? Can you purchase park tickets in advance?
We can use my parents condo for free, but I am torn. Would it be easier with the kids to stay on site? (travel from condo is only about 20 min, but too far if someone needs a nap) Would they enjoy a Disney hotel more?

Sorry about all the questions. I just believe in being SUPER prepared...especially when traveling with young children. :laundy:

WDWorBUST
12-17-2008, 06:41 PM
My dd who just turned 5 November 1st has been to Disney 8 times.....7 onsite and 1 off. She loved the off site visit (at age 4) every bit as much as the ones onsite. Now the visit we stayed off site was in January so the pool didn't matter at all....I don't know if that would be a factor for you.

toverly
12-17-2008, 07:28 PM
Twenty minutes from a free condo? No question there, stay offsite and spend your money on things that the twins will love. We have intentionally stayed off site because we want to do special things. Last trip my husband drove a race car at the Richard Petty driving track, we went to Cirque de Soleil and Mickey's Christmas party, we went to ICE at the Gaylord Palms. We couldn't have done any if we had stayed on property. Buy the big Unofficial Guide to Disney World and read all about it. You have lots of time to prepare. I purchased our season passes early and they send a voucher that doesn't activiate till you turn it in the first day. Have fun planning.

aka-mad4themouse
12-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't know if staying onsite would be more convenient for you unless you plan to stay at CR, which is within walking distance of the MK. For any other resort, you will have to wait for some form of Disney transportation to get back to your resort (a bus, boat or monorail). The wait time for buses can be 15 minutes or more if you happen to have my sense of timing :rolleyes: .

You will probably have more room to spread out and relax after the kids are in bed if you are staying in a condo. It can be pretty rough when the whole family is staying in a single hotel room.

If you decide to stay onsite, you can book a room-only reservation now but the nightly rate will not be guaranteed. Room rates for 2010 will not be announced until early August 2009. Since Disney has not created their packages for 2010, you will not be able to book one right now. Packages usually come out a little after room rates are announced. When you book a room-only reservation, you have to make a deposit equal to one night's stay. Booking this early for Sept., 2010 will tie up your money for 21 months!

You can purchase tickets any time between now and your vacation. Tickets do not expire until 14 days following their first day of use. Buying early can save you the cost of ticket price increases. But again, it ties your money up for all those months and tickets are non-refundable. Also, Disney has some great package deals (like free dining) that you would not be able to take advantage of if you already have tickets.

So, I guess that I gave you a lot to think about but very little advice. If it were me, I would order the 2009 Disney Planning DVD and wait for August to see what kind of prices and packages come out then.

jennyopenny
12-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. :banana:

englishteacha
12-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Totally stay offsite in the free condo! We always stay in a condo and we love it! It's great to have space to spread out. Buy the Unofficial Guide as mentioned above. It's a wonderful resource.

jennyopenny
12-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I just ordered (used, of course ;) ) the Unofficial Guide, and the Unofficial guide for Kids.
We used the condo to take our oldest, and it was fantastic. Two bedroom, two bathrooms, kitchen, and a living area.