PDA

View Full Version : **FAKE** AMERICAN GIRL DOLL? Which one?

Mickeys.friend
12-17-2008, 04:43 PM
OK...so my 7 year old has been talking about nothing but American Girl Dolls for about 2 weeks now...Thanks to a little girl at school and the catalogs that keep appearing in my mailbox. Now...I do think the dolls are nice and the books are very good...but the cost is sooo high! Not all "American Girls' " parents can afford American Girl Dolls. My daughter is only 7 and believes in Santa. She thinks that Santa will bring her one, because he knows mom and dad cannot afford it. Oh Boy....
In addition we actually finished shopping long ago, because my budget is ultra tight this year....we are getting over some set backs from over the Summer.
Well, since she is such a good kid and gets excellent grades, I thought I might try and get an American Girl Doll and realy surprise her. HOLY COW those dolls are expensive new, so I posted on my local Cheapcycle and Craigslist sites to buy used. No luck at all, and now I have spent the better part of the last 10 days being outbid by everyone on ebay. I also don't use Paypal so that made it harder still to bid....I have no more time to search for used at this point and new is just out of the question...
So, I am going to buy a "Fake". My question is...which one is the best one to get??? I have seen similar dolls for sale in Wal Mart and Target, but I am not sure they actually resemble AG in the faces. I have also seen a similar doll in my local AC Moore store. Those dolls have the front teeth sticking out like AG...
sooo I must act quickly and semi-cheaply and could use any advice. Thanks!

LIZ

mjkacmom
12-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Target has a cheap one, but make sure you don't try to pass it off as an actual American Girl doll. Girls get together and play with them, and I'm sure someone will point out that it's not a "real" one. Dd7 has Bearpaws, not Uggs - she knows I think Uggs are way too expensive for 7 year olds! :thumbsup2

Vijoge
12-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Try here:http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/bab/959231723.html

rparmfamily
12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
This is the one I got at Costco (not my listing,)

http://cgi.ebay.com/MADAME-ALEXANDER-18-INCH-ALEXANDER-GIRLZ-DOLL-NEW_W0QQitemZ270316112051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls? hash=item270316112051&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If you'd like I can send her to you, I got it for the Angel Tree but I've gotten something else instead (she listed Hello Kitty as her preference.) My DD loves American Girl and I think this doll looks very nice.

Let me know! I can send her tomorrow. (PM me)

NeedaVacation03
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
You might want to try Craigslist where someone in your family lives.
This is available in Columbus Oh http://columbus.craigslist.org/bab/955374525.htmlio

I agree with mjkacmom. You need to make sure that your daughter is aware that it is not an American girl if you go with a different one. If you dont other kids will. Your daugter will be happy with the doll she gets but she does need to know.

OceanAnnie
12-17-2008, 07:00 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/MADAME-ALEXANDER-18-INCH-ALEXANDER-GIRLZ-DOLL-NEW_W0QQitemZ270316112051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls? hash=item270316112051&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

If you'd like I can send her to you, I got it for the Angel Tree but I've gotten something else instead (she listed Hello Kitty as her preference.) My DD loves American Girl and I think this doll looks very nice.

That's a very nice offer. :)

Mickeys.friend
12-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the advice so far....I cannot check out of area Craigslist posts because I have no way to pay fast enough (I don't use paypal) and most don't want to ship, they prefer pickup. My sister is away at school but comming home for Christmas, so I did check her town's Craigslist posts. Still no luck...either too expensive for me or just no listings for AG dolls....
Sadly, I was going to try to pass any doll I got as an AG....only because of the Santa thing...but I guess i will tell her any doll she receives is better than an AG doll! LOL!
This situation has made me really think.....How do you explain to a young child who believes in Santa why he gave sooo much to her school friends or neighbors and not to her? :confused: Due to our finances and my daughter's age(old enough to notice), this is the first time I am ever really facing this....

LIZ

momxx5
12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
A few yrs ago when DD was 7 grandma sent her money to "Christmas shop" on Christmas Eve. She bought herself a Generation Girl (Target). The next morning she woke up and Santa had left her a Girl of Today American Girl.....DD's first American Girl. She was so excited. The 2 dolls played together all the time....sharing clothes, etc.
Since then younger DD(now 6) had gotten a GG and last Christmas got her first American Girl, Nikki. Older DD(now 10) has 3 American Girls. All the dolls play together, attend school where my DD is the teachers, spend the night at sister's room, etc.

Seeing both side by side you can definately see the difference. The biggest difference is in their hair. Some of the Generation Girl's clothing fits differently and the shoes don't really fit the AG. That said my girls love all their dolls.

I did not ever see the Madame Alexander dolls until this year, and I still have not actually seen one in real life. ToysRUs is about 1/2hr away. From what I hear they are great dolls. I would try the MA doll.
I bet your DD will be just as happy.

Keep us posted.

momxx5
12-17-2008, 07:26 PM
We have a huge difference in what Santa brings to our home compared to the neighborhood and school. Santa brings each child one gift(I have 5 kids). Since they do not get much throughtout the year except for birthdays or hard earned money, Santa does his very best to get them their one wish.

As they have gotten older is really has become more expensive toys.

At our home Santa keeps in touch with the parents. Santa must get the "ok" before bringing outrageous at Christmas. That way they got the idea that since mommy & daddy would not let them each have their own tv, then that's not something Santa would bring. Funny thing I was not fond of video game systems at all, but can you believe that yrs ago Santa actually brought an xbox360??? It was one gift that counted for all 3 boys.

So some parents let Santa bring tons of smaller gifts, some parents let Santa bring inappropiate gifts(bb gun, M-rated video games, etc) but that's not what Santa does here. With the age of technology, now I can e-mail Santa the kid's wish lists before a certain date. The list usually should have choices and varies in costs. You just never know what Santa will bring. Sometimes he'll bring something that you "love" but didn't even ask for. That happened 3 yrs ago when DS got a new bike.

I hope that rambling made some kind of sense.

Mickeys.friend
12-17-2008, 07:35 PM
I do agree and that makes perfect sense...
A kind Diser made a wonderful offer to me, and I think my daughter will just LOVE the doll...perhaps MA dolls we be the next craze!! :goodvibes

LIZ

NikiM20
12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
If you have a Tuesday Morning near you they have some dolls that are very similar to AG. They may even be made by the same company because on the box it said will fit all american girl clothes. They were $30.00 im not sure on the name but I want to say it was Gotz

ETA: I found this with a quick search

PRECIOUS DAY GIRL COLLECTION
The Precious Day Girl Collection is a very interesting, award winning series of dolls. They have the same body type you would find on an American Girl doll. Thus, they can wear American Girl clothes, and visa versa.
Most people don't know this, but Gotz was the company who designed, and originally made, American Girl dolls for Pleasant Company. That's right, American Girl dolls were actually a Gotz creation (and made by Gotz for quite a while). So, by picking a doll from the Precious Day Girl Collection you can get a terrific American Girl type doll at a fraction of the cost!

The Precious Day Girl Collection consists of 18 inch dolls, all of whom feature sparkling eyes that open and close. They have rooted hair which can be brushed, braided and styled. They have soft bodies which are articulated (have joints which move). They can be hugged, loved, and even machine washed.

Each doll has a sweet face that is so appealing that it will win your heart over the moment you see it!

AWARD WINNER - Precious Day Girl Collection dolls received the Oppenheim Best Toy Award.

dthogue
12-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Are you looking for a specific American Girl Doll - we have several that I would be willing to part with, but I'm not sure which ones we have or if I could get them to you soon enough. If you are interested let me know and I will pull them out - they have been played with and I know I don't have the boxes, but they might do We are in Central PA, so it shouldn't take too long to get one to you (and I promise I will dress her - right now they are all naked:scared1:)

shelly3girls
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
This situation has made me really think.....How do you explain to a young child who believes in Santa why he gave sooo much to her school friends or neighbors and not to her? :confused: Due to our finances and my daughter's age(old enough to notice), this is the first time I am ever really facing this....

LIZ

I grew up being told that my parents had to write a check to Santa. How else could he afford to build all of those toys? The check was left out with the cookies. As you can tell my parents were quite practical and cared very much about teaching us the value of a dollar.

ncmickeyluvr
12-17-2008, 08:31 PM
I tell a similiar story to my children. We've always said that Santa can only bring what that particular family can afford to buy. We've never gone into detail, but they're getting older. The check with the cookies sounds like a good idea!:idea: I also tell them that Santa only brings a portion of their toys and Mommy and Daddy bring the rest. We like to play Santa too!! That explains us having to shop without them and in case they find a badly hidden present.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a real American Girl. Her idea of the doll might be different than yours. Think of it as serving Sam's Choice cola and calling it Coke!! She probably just wants a doll that's bigger than a barbie, but doesn't look like an infant.

shelly3girls
12-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I should have also mentioned that Santa only brings 3 gifts per child and they are usually not the big gifts. Everything else comes from Mom and Dad.

rparmfamily
12-17-2008, 09:05 PM
You could always have the doll under the tree out of her box? They all kinda of look the same at that point.

Mickeys.friend
12-17-2008, 09:08 PM
....just WOW...You guys are really great...These are super ideas regarding Santa....I like the check idea!

LIZ

mjrich73
12-17-2008, 09:13 PM
You can also check this site... http://agplaythings.proboards105.com/index.cgi There is everything AG for sale there. It also has a wanted section where you can post what you are looking for and the price you are willing to pay. I have had great luck with this site.

irish_trip_mom
12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Our children's preschool also taught the kids the three present rule (because Jesus received three gifts from the Wise Men.)

Of course, it doesn't help when Grandma buys 10 gifts (more than Santa and Mom&Dad combined)..........

In Luv with Disney
12-17-2008, 09:35 PM

These dolls are GREAT!!!!! My DD is 3, and WAY too young for a $100 American Girl Doll! I was shopping in Costco with my MIL and DD and DD fell in love with it! They have different hair colors and eye colors, just like AG. Also different outfits! My MIL bought her one on the spot, and I went back and bought another one for DD for Christmas. Costco was only charging $24! To tell you the truth, these dolls are actually PRETTIER than the AG doll, IMHO.

GOOD LUCK!!!

littlele
12-17-2008, 09:48 PM
These dolls are GREAT!!!!! My DD is 3, and WAY too young for a $100 American Girl Doll! I was shopping in Costco with my MIL and DD and DD fell in love with it! They have different hair colors and eye colors, just like AG. Also different outfits! My MIL bought her one on the spot, and I went back and bought another one for DD for Christmas. Costco was only charging $24! To tell you the truth, these dolls are actually PRETTIER than the AG doll, IMHO.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Just an FYI, I noticed our Costco has those dolls marked down to $14.97 as of yesterday or prior. They are cute dolls, and at this price you can't beat it. Just don't expect them to hold up the same or have the same customer service behind them. Maybe that's what I'm paying for!

rparmfamily
12-17-2008, 10:23 PM
They are $14.97 at our Costco too and $19.97 at the next one. Seems they had most all their toys on clearance, we picked up some good deals!

I thought they looked very nice and pretty well made, definately better than the Our Generation ones at Target.

In Luv with Disney
12-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Just an FYI, I noticed our Costco has those dolls marked down to $14.97 as of yesterday or prior. They are cute dolls, and at this price you can't beat it. Just don't expect them to hold up the same or have the same customer service behind them. Maybe that's what I'm paying for!

Our Costco doesn't even have them anymore! I'm glad I got it when I did. DD really loves those dolls.

mom2princessj
12-17-2008, 11:29 PM
You have some really nice offers! I hope you are able to find a doll you are happy with and your dd will love.
I agree with the others about making sure she knows the difference as young girls do and will tell her and then she may be disappointed. Even on ebay they can go for alot of money especially around any holiday. But if I were you and you can swing it, I'd keep looking after Christmas and during the summer...the doll prices tend to drop then and you can get LIKE NEW dolls for 50-60 shipped...that's how I got our Kit doll and aside from not having any clothes she looks BRAND NEW.

ETA: I buy alot from AG itself but when I'm looking for dolls I always check ebay to see if I can get a like new doll for a deal. I don't mind paying new if its one she REALLY REALLY wants (I always buy the girl of the year in January and new) but I've gotten some really, really nice dolls for great prices on ebay!

Lollipop's Mom
12-17-2008, 11:46 PM
Not sure if someone mentioned it, but there are also the My Disney Girl dolls - I think they are about 25 bucks?? That way you could give her a ' REAL disney doll' :)
I just did a quick search on ebay - they look like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/MY-DISNEY-GIRL-DOLL-18-VERY-CUTE-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260333063285QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDolls? hash=item260333063285&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Dancemom03
12-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Not sure where you are in PA but if you need an AG box, I could mail or meet you in Hanover.
We have extra boxes I don't mind parting with to help Santa look good if possible. I try not to mail dolls we list on ebay in boxes because, at more than 21" in length, they can incur a large package surcharge if sent further than a postal zone or two away, making it a real pain to specify a fixed shipping cost.
I'd planned to list a Josefina on ebay this week but time got away from me. It sounds like you have some good prospects though for a doll. PM me if you find a doll and would like a box to go with it...

AG sells replacement doll boxes for $5 too if anybody else is looking for a box but IMHO you'd have to want it really bad to pay rush shipping for an empty box...:eek:

BTW - you'll pay more for AG quality but I don't know many other companies that'll give you full exchange credit for a worn out return your kids have played with for five years. You do tend to get what you pay for and, if it helps any, AG encourages reading & imaginative play with stories, awesome dolls - and even better customer service.:thumbsup2

kwhite1022
12-18-2008, 12:25 AM
I confess this whole AG thing has me really scared. Im hoping to take my daughter to the AG store in Chicago next year for her 7th birthday and let her pick her own doll, along with accessories. Anyone wanna give me an idea of how much sticker shock Im in for? Im hoping to start a tradition for my daughters that on their 7th birthday this extra special event of a train trip into Chicago, just with mommy to pick out their doll. Thankfully I do have family members who are willing to help with the cost, as they would rather help create this special memory then send her something she wont play with for very long.

OP I hope your daughter will get her magical Christmas moment.

Bella the Ball 360
12-18-2008, 12:29 AM

Funny you should mention that because I was going to mention Costco and the MME. Alexander Dolls which used to be the best in the doll world. Anyway they are marked down to 15.95 ...a great deal no matter what.

TheLittleRoo
12-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I confess this whole AG thing has me really scared. Im hoping to take my daughter to the AG store in Chicago next year for her 7th birthday and let her pick her own doll, along with accessories. Anyone wanna give me an idea of how much sticker shock Im in for? Im hoping to start a tradition for my daughters that on their 7th birthday this extra special event of a train trip into Chicago, just with mommy to pick out their doll. Thankfully I do have family members who are willing to help with the cost, as they would rather help create this special memory then send her something she wont play with for very long.

WARNING: I went to AG NYC with DD6 this past summer to get "a doll" and "an outfit" and left about $200 poorer, $250 if you count our restaurant bill. I try now to get her doll's outfits on Ebay and Craigslist. But she loves the doll (Mia) and Santa is bringing her Ruthie this year b/c Gramma is getting her Kit. She will be over the moon. What I also try to do is get dolls on Ebay but it's very hard to get them (after shipping) for enough savings off the price of a new doll..:confused3 especially if they are sold naked, which most "good deals" are. Add back an outfit plus shoes, and you're right back to the price of a new doll.

I have to confess, I like to "help" her play with her dolls, and it's almost as much fun for me to buy her doll's stuff as it is for her to open it!!

Mickeys.friend
12-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks all...I think everything is going to turn out awesome....Thanks Dancemom03, but I fear you are too far from me. I am in East Stroudsburg in the Poconos...too far from hanover. It was a very generous offer though. I do not think my daughter will mind if her doll is not in the box....Like another poster mentioned...it will still look great standing there under the tree.
By the way, we only have a Sam's Club and a BJ's wholesale nearby, no Costco....so i don't think i would have been able to locate a ME doll on my own at this lte date...Thanks again to all and Merry Christmas!

PS:I will keep you posted regarding her reaction to the dolls dthogue and rparmfamily are sending Christmas morning!!

LIZ

DisneyWhirled
12-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I grew up being told that my parents had to write a check to Santa. How else could he afford to build all of those toys? The check was left out with the cookies. As you can tell my parents were quite practical and cared very much about teaching us the value of a dollar.

Exactly what we have taught our children (minus leaving the check). We explain that mom and dad *help* Santa pay for the gifts. This helped us explain to them why we were buying for another less fortunate family. The gifts were paid for by us, but given to Santa for delivery to the kids whose mom and dad can't afford it. It also helps explain why our close friends' children get everything and then some. Their mom and dad pay Santa more $$ than we can.

Further, my kiddos get gifts from mom and dad, (but just like me when I was growing up), they know the gifts from mom and dad are usually clothes. :)

Dancemom03
12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Im hoping to take my daughter to the AG store in Chicago next year for her 7th birthday and let her pick her own doll, along with accessories. Anyone wanna give me an idea of how much sticker shock Im in for? Im hoping to start a tradition for my daughters that on their 7th birthday this extra special event of a train trip into Chicago, just with mommy to pick out their doll.

Between $90 and $115 for a doll, depending on whether you also buy access and get a hardcover or paperback book. A meal at the cafe is in the $20-$30 range per person. Extra accessories and outfits cost anywhere between $5 and $35 - obviously there are some bigger things that cost considerably more but $20-$30 is a good average. Usually at the stores they'll have a special outfit you can purchase for $14 if you spend $30 (which you would if you bought a doll).

If you're considering staying overnight, there are some great American Girl packages at nearby hotels that include cookies and milk, a special bed and even a hotel robe for the doll that matches the one real guests use at the hotel.

I'm not sure where you're taking the train from or what month you plan to go but if you're not too far away, definitely check out the Madison Children's Museum American Girl Benefit Sale (think super walmart size warehouse packed full of new or new looking AG goodies at discount prices) in July.
Last year on Sunday (the last day of the sale) dolls still left were $35 each. I confess I really overdid it, the van was so full we had to leave a few things at my friend's house so we could get DD7's carseat back in for the drive home. Of course I'd have to deny it all though if pressed for specifics by DH...:eek:
In any case, it was an awesome girls weekend (LOL - No way would DH travel in a minivan with three females on a quest across six states just to buy doll stuff for two straight days - I think the mere suggestion gave him nightmares).
We got some awesome deals - the $325 nightstand sized chest that DD7 had been coveting was reduced to just $75 and we got Felicity's retired carriage for $80 (definitely deals that made the trip well worth it all by itself) - but we had such a terrific time and there was so much more to do than I'd expected in WI that we'll go every summer now.:cheer2:

livndisney
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM

What a wonderful tradition!
I will warn you the sticker shock will be great. BUT having said that, I can't put a price on the joy these dolls bring my DD. She takes her "babies" EVERYWHERE! I make her and her dolls matching clothes and she loves it. She plays with them more than her other toys.

To the OP-Watch the sales at Target. They have some great "stuff" for 18 inch dolls. And they often put it on sale. "Rumor" has it there will be a HORSE under our tree christmas morning (purchased at Target for 20.00:thumbsup) . They also have a trundle bed (similar to the one in the AG catalog) and Beauty parlor chair.

Kit'smommy
12-18-2008, 10:01 AM
I had a Samantha years ago from Pleasant Company. This was back when they were still made by Gotz. I notice the Gotz dolls in my Tuesday Morning all the time and they still look like the AG dolls.

I also notice the Gotz dolls in Germany in Epcot everytime I go there. Perhaps she would be good with one on from Gotz as a present later knowing that is what is sold in Epcot.

Crystal0608
12-18-2008, 10:04 AM
Check ebay for the Hopscotch Hill doll by AG. It's discontinued and a smaller version that AG, but it is the brand and very cute. My dd has one that I bought online a couple years ago b4 it was disc, good quality.

PaulaSue
12-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Honestly I wouldn't buy a fake. I did (Target) and the hair was terrible and it was so not the quailty of AG.

livndisney
12-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I had a Samantha years ago from Pleasant Company. This was back when they were still made by Gotz. I notice the Gotz dolls in my Tuesday Morning all the time and they still look like the AG dolls.

I also notice the Gotz dolls in Germany in Epcot everytime I go there. Perhaps she would be good with one on from Gotz as a present later knowing that is what is sold in Epcot.

Not to hijack the thread-
The dolls in Epcot are Engel dolls. They are similar in size to the AG but are not as poseable as they are all soft body dolls. (You can find them on Ebay for good prices)

I will second the Gotz dolls. If you can find them at Tuesday morning- they make great "friends" for the AG and most of the clothes are interchangeable with the AG.

"Kit's Mommy" I love your screen name!

magik
12-18-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't know if you sew, but if part of the appeal of the AG doll is the historical outfits, you can always go with the ME doll or GG from Target and then sew an outfit or two for her. I like to browse the pattern books at Walmart, and there are *tons* of patterns for AG-sized doll clothes, both modern-style and historical. McCall's, Simplicity, Butterick...I've seen patterns from all those companies for AG-sized dolls. And from Walmart, generally patterns are in the $2-$5 range (much cheaper than from a fabric store), and you can also usually find good deals on fabric. And if you make it yourself, it will be one-of-a-kind and can add special touches just for your daughter (her favorite color or time-period, etc).

This of course is no help if you don't sew, and I've never actually bought any of the patterns, so I don't know how complicated they are to sew, but I can't imagine most of them being *too* hard.

Lollipop's Mom
12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I never 'got' why AG cost so much until we visited AG place in LA one time, and then we were hooked. My daughter now has 6 dolls (Elizabeth, Ruthie, Kit, Ivy, Julie & Samantha), and is getting Mia for Xmas. I won't even go into the amount of clothing and stuff she has..... LOL.
Its an addiction!

longstangetrip
12-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Madame Alexander dolls have been around for 50+ years and use to be "the" doll in the 70's and early 80's. They were good quality, with nice hair and costumes, but not as "play friendly" as the American Girl dolls. They were more collectable. Not sure how the newer ones are (since the real Madame Alexander died)! Best of luck and Merry Christmas.

Kit'smommy
12-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit'smommy

Not to hijack the thread-
The dolls in Epcot are Engel dolls. They are similar in size to the AG but are not as poseable as they are all soft body dolls. (You can find them on Ebay for good prices)

I will second the Gotz dolls. If you can find them at Tuesday morning- they make great "friends" for the AG and most of the clothes are interchangeable with the AG.

"Kit's Mommy" I love your screen name!

Thank you for correcting me. I collected Gotz dolls as a child and purchased a doll there many years ago on my first trip to Epcot and didn't realized they carry only carry Engel. Unfortunately, I don't get to look too closely anymore as Kit is usually begging me for a $50 Steiff animal and I am more focused on telling him "no" than looking at dolls. I did some research on Gotz after reading this post and it looks like the original German company went out of business back in 2004 and the dolls are now being manufactured in China.

OP - Gotz (or Goetz) makes a series of precious day dolls that are the same size as the AG and quite similar to the original AG dolls. Sometimes they can be purchased at reasonable prices on eBay if you watch for them. Jessica is adorable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gotz-Precious-Day-2008-Collection-Jessica-Doll-Bandana_W0QQitemZ380089643529QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDo lls?hash=item380089643529&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A10%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

julezdisney
12-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Last year I got my daughter a doll from Michael's Craft Store. They are the SPRINGFIELD COLLECTION (http://www.springfielddolls.com/) dolls. It was inexpensive and she was thrilled. They sell a LOT of doll accessories there too so I got her a few outfits. Depending on how she treated it, I would decide whether to get her one for her birthday in May.

She was 4 at the time. She turned 5 in May and opened an AG doll out of the box, straight from the AG hospital! Complete with hair done and hospital gown & Get Well balloon. I'd picked up one w/a missing leg from ebay for about $15. A couple months later, I sent her off to the AG hospital for a leg replacement for about $30? and it arrived in time for her birthday! She was thrilled.

I couldn't justify spending the $$ either- but I'm glad I got her a practice one to see if she would actually play with it and want it 6 mos later.

Good luck! If you click on the link I put in you can find your nearest retailer.

kwhite1022
12-18-2008, 02:35 PM
OP, sorry for hijacking your thread a little :lovestruc

I thank you all for your comments, I guess I will plan on around $200 for the doll and accessories, and then more for the trip itself. Have to say the idea of a hotel with special pkgs for this really has me excited! I do know if I let the 3 sets of grandparents, and all the Aunts and Uncles (7) know what we are doing, they will gladly give money towards something this special and unique. Ill make sure to send lots of pictures of the event through our email to our extended family, as this "trip" will be in place of a birthday party.

mom2princessj
12-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Between $90 and $115 for a doll, depending on whether you also buy access and get a hardcover or paperback book. A meal at the cafe is in the $20-$30 range per person. Extra accessories and outfits cost anywhere between $5 and $35 - obviously there are some bigger things that cost considerably more but $20-$30 is a good average. Usually at the stores they'll have a special outfit you can purchase for $14 if you spend $30 (which you would if you bought a doll).

If you're considering staying overnight, there are some great American Girl packages at nearby hotels that include cookies and milk, a special bed and even a hotel robe for the doll that matches the one real guests use at the hotel.

I'm not sure where you're taking the train from or what month you plan to go but if you're not too far away, definitely check out the Madison Children's Museum American Girl Benefit Sale (think super walmart size warehouse packed full of new or new looking AG goodies at discount prices) in July.
Last year on Sunday (the last day of the sale) dolls still left were $35 each. I confess I really overdid it, the van was so full we had to leave a few things at my friend's house so we could get DD7's carseat back in for the drive home. Of course I'd have to deny it all though if pressed for specifics by DH...:eek:
In any case, it was an awesome girls weekend (LOL - No way would DH travel in a minivan with three females on a quest across six states just to buy doll stuff for two straight days - I think the mere suggestion gave him nightmares).
We got some awesome deals - the $325 nightstand sized chest that DD7 had been coveting was reduced to just $75 and we got Felicity's retired carriage for $80 (definitely deals that made the trip well worth it all by itself) - but we had such a terrific time and there was so much more to do than I'd expected in WI that we'll go every summer now.:cheer2:

I was wondering how good that sale actually was. I am really hoping to go this year but my dh may put a damper on that. He says she's got too many dolls as it is (Bitty Baby, Felicity, Mia, Nicki, and 3 JLY dolls) with Kit coming at Christmas along with Ruthie (sometime in 2009 she's in a box in the closet), another JLY, and one doll she'll never play with (Kailey girl of the year 2003-04). She loves all of her dolls. She has tea parties with them, dresses them, takes them everywhere with her. She's into different ones at different times. I don't mind how many she has...I always tell him when she's done playing with them we'll get their hair done and store them as keepsakes...he just rolls his eyes at me :rolleyes1

OP I hope your dd loves the dolls you are getting! Congrats on getting your doll :)

LastLookAtTheCastle
12-18-2008, 02:54 PM
QVC had some real American Girl stuff on there a few weeks ago? I'm not sure if they still are, but it's worth a look.

The My Disney Dolls are very cute. I'd pick that over another version.

Welcome to the cult, uh, I mean, club. My 7 year old DD LOVES her dolls.

If U Had Wings
12-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Another idea is to let other family members know what she wants and see if they will go in on it. When my niece wanted one a few of us chipped in for one for her birthday. She was overjoyed with her AG doll, and the rest of us felt better that she was getting what she really wanted and not a bunch of toys that she probably wouldn't have paid for.

On her 7th birthday we took her to the AG store in NYC - a kind of girls day out. Her grandmother treated her to the show (which they sadly don't do anymore), I treated her to lunch at the cafe, and her mom and dad bought her choice of outfit or small accessory. It made for a really nice afternoon. We paid a little extra for the birthday package, and they supplied a cake, and sang her happy birthday. It was well worth the small added charge.

If your going to an AG store you may want to set out the parameters of what is okay to pick out ahead of time. My niece was eyeing the other kids in there buying multiple dolls and outfits, but knew ahead of time what she got to pick out. She really liked that she got to pick out her own gift.

shelly3girls
12-19-2008, 01:16 PM
On her 7th birthday we took her to the AG store in NYC - a kind of girls day out. Her grandmother treated her to the show (which they sadly don't do anymore), I treated her to lunch at the cafe, and her mom and dad bought her choice of outfit or small accessory. It made for a really nice afternoon. We paid a little extra for the birthday package, and they supplied a cake, and sang her happy birthday. It was well worth the small added charge.

Oh no, I thought this was a wonderful show! When did they stop it?

Goofy'slady
12-19-2008, 01:27 PM
I thought of getting my 3yr old a AG Bitty Baby but realizing that my three year old while she loves her doll babies she's still three and that means that the babies sometimes end up naked, on the floor, under the sofa cusion and with peanut butter in their hair. When my mother and I were shopping for gifts for my kids in Target we came across the Generation Dolls which we thought looked exactly like the American Girl Dolls. At the time they were like 32 bucks but we got an extra outfit for the doll for free. We got the salon chair and everything. So for about 60 bucks we got the doll which already came with two outfits, an extra one and a salon chair. My BFF (who my baby calles auntie) even got her another outfit.

Maybe when my little one gets a little older we'll look into the American Girl Dolls but for now Generation Dolls will do us fine. Especailly, since my baby doesn't know the difference between the two.

T.

mom2princessj
12-26-2008, 12:33 AM
OP...just curious how your dd liked the dolls you ended up getting from some VERY NICE Dis'ers??? Hope she had a merry christmas. My dd loved her Kit (got her off ebay new but not in original clothes for an AWESOME price over the summer :) )

rparmfamily
12-26-2008, 01:01 AM
According to USPS tracking, I can't tell if the doll got there in time. :( It doesn't say it was delivered. :( I sent her about 5 days ago, and my IL's package to KY got there, but the USPS website hasn't updated this package since yesterday morning I think. :( I'm shipping from HI so priority takes longer. :(

Mickeys.friend
12-26-2008, 09:28 AM
Good Morning and I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day! My daughter, Mary, LOVED her American girl doll, Kirsten!! (FROM dthogue) She arrived on Monday. I learned on YouTube how to tighten her limbs and soften her hair. I bought ribbons for her hair in WalMart and gave her socks and shoes from my AC Moore store. The doll really looked wonderful! We gave her the doll after she opened up her other gifts under the tree(mostly clothes this year...it's what she needed!) We could tell that she was slightly disappointed that there was no doll of any kind under the tree...then we pulled out Kirsten! We did it this way because I wanted her to know the doll was not from Santa, but from an online friend and I fixed her up....She was verrry happy! I think she realizes what a special gift she is, because, when she opened the box, she said.."How much did you pay for her, mommy?". In the last few weeks whan she looked at the catalogs, I had to explain that even santa could not always bring such expensive dolls for Christmas. She even slept with her last night!
As for the Madame Alexander doll (FROM rparmfamily), we showed her the picture online and explained where it was coming from and from who...It is scheduled to arrive today, and Mary has been checking outside for the mailman since 7:30 AM! The new doll and Kirsten are going to be "best friends".
Thanks again to both of you for your kind generosity. You really did "save" Christmas for my daughter!! Much love and hugs to you!! :love:

LIZ

Mickeys.friend
12-26-2008, 12:07 PM
The MA doll just got here! Let me just say that this is a very pretty and well made doll. The puppy is a very cute addition! Dare I say she's cuter than AG dolls! Mary is in 7th heaven!!

LIZ

MaMa3Princess
12-26-2008, 01:49 PM
The MA doll just got here! Let me just say that this is a very pretty and well made doll. The puppy is a very cute addition! Dare I say she's cuter than AG dolls! Mary is in 7th heaven!!

LIZ

There is no place like the Disboard!!! I love stories like this one. Tell your darling daughter welcome to the club. My daughter got Josephina for Chistmas and she too slept with her last night. I am so glad that your precious DD was blessed with an AG with the help of som Dis Angels:goodvibes

rparmfamily
12-26-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you got her Liz! :) I'm sorry she didn't come before Christmas. :( Tell her the doll came from Hawaii, LOL!

She is very pretty doll, I did notice that the hair is sparcer but otherwise she is a pretty doll. I ended up going to Costco and getting one for my 8 yr old as a "friend" too!

mom2princessj
12-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Good Morning and I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day! My daughter, Mary, LOVED her American girl doll, Kirsten!! (FROM dthogue) She arrived on Monday. I learned on YouTube how to tighten her limbs and soften her hair. I bought ribbons for her hair in WalMart and gave her socks and shoes from my AC Moore store. The doll really looked wonderful! We gave her the doll after she opened up her other gifts under the tree(mostly clothes this year...it's what she needed!) We could tell that she was slightly disappointed that there was no doll of any kind under the tree...then we pulled out Kirsten! We did it this way because I wanted her to know the doll was not from Santa, but from an online friend and I fixed her up....She was verrry happy! I think she realizes what a special gift she is, because, when she opened the box, she said.."How much did you pay for her, mommy?". In the last few weeks whan she looked at the catalogs, I had to explain that even santa could not always bring such expensive dolls for Christmas. She even slept with her last night!
As for the Madame Alexander doll (FROM rparmfamily), we showed her the picture online and explained where it was coming from and from who...It is scheduled to arrive today, and Mary has been checking outside for the mailman since 7:30 AM! The new doll and Kirsten are going to be "best friends".
Thanks again to both of you for your kind generosity. You really did "save" Christmas for my daughter!! Much love and hugs to you!! :love:

LIZ

What a great story! How wonderful that your dd loved both dolls :)
Can you post that link from you tube? One of my dd's dolls limbs are really really loose and could use tightening and also I need to condition Felicity's hair LOL.
I'm so glad your dd got the doll she wanted for Christmas!

Handbag Lady
12-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Oh, wow, what a lovely ending!

Dis-ers are good people.

Princess April
12-26-2008, 06:27 PM
OMG!!!!! I just stumbled on this thread and can I just say that my heart is full!!! :lovestruc DIS'ers, especially budget boarder's, are a great group of people!!!!! You are the best!!!!!

IDoDis
12-26-2008, 06:46 PM
My DD has 11 AG dolls! I started buying them for her when she was 5 years old. She used to get one for Christmas, and one for her birthday. DD is 12 1/2 now. We are redoing her room to make it less little girl-ish and more teen-ish. All of her AG dolls are on shelves in her room. Yesterday she told me she wants to pack them up. I wanted to :sad: She also wants to get rid of all of her Build-a-Bear animals except for one.

I saved all of the doll boxes so tonight we are going to dress them in their respective clothes and box them up. I also saved all of the little accessory boxes. She has a trunk full of AG clothes and accessories.

The stuff was pricey, but I'm really going to miss it! The historical collection is very educational. All of her dolls except for two are the historical ones. We are going to save them for her own DD's to have some day in the way DISTANT future. They will be collectibles if kept nice and in their original boxes. The values will rise as AG discontinues them. Samantha is the first historical doll to be discontinued.

DD is growing up wayyyy to fast!

Mickeys.friend
12-26-2008, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L89ag9VTS1o

Fix the AG limbs

http://www.justmagicdolls.com/articles/HairCare/AdvancedHair.htm

Fix AG hair

Hope this helps!!

LIZ

Mickeys.friend
12-27-2008, 09:43 AM
bump for those wanting the links to repair AG dolls...

SnoWhiteRabbit
12-27-2008, 11:03 AM
Mickeys.friend thanks for posting. I am so happy for your little girl and DTHOGUE & RPARMFAMILY made more than your daughter's Christmas...I have tears in my eyes. What wonderful DIS'ers!!! They've made my Christmas too, with the wonderful stories of their generosity!!

Sometimes these boards are the happiest place on earth. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Holidays All!!

Kickapoo Joie Juice
12-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the advice so far....I cannot check out of area Craigslist posts because I have no way to pay fast enough (I don't use paypal) and most don't want to ship, they prefer pickup. My sister is away at school but comming home for Christmas, so I did check her town's Craigslist posts. Still no luck...either too expensive for me or just no listings for AG dolls....
Sadly, I was going to try to pass any doll I got as an AG....only because of the Santa thing...but I guess i will tell her any doll she receives is better than an AG doll! LOL!

LIZ

I've had this conversation with my 8 & 9 year old daughters. It went something like this:

"Both Santa and your parents think spending 100+ dollars for a piece of plastic is just plain crazy. If you really want a doll we can get one that looks like an american girl doll and we'll put the remaining $80 in your college fund, ok?"

Technically, I could "afford" one of them, and you don't need to tell your kids what you can afford and what you can't-it's your own business. There are plenty of kids out there who's parents can't afford those dolls that have them, and vice versa. Seriously, for me American Girl dolls were a fabulous teaching tool about careful spending and allocation of assets for my kids...:thumbsup2

atksn
12-28-2008, 11:29 AM
I stumbled upon this thread, and now have tears streaming down my face.

OP: I think that by you giving the dolls to Mary, and telling her they were NOT from Santa, makes this whole thing even more special. It shows the true meaning of Christmas, and brings to life the spirit of giving. IMO I will bet that she will love/appreciate those dolls all the more knowing what you, and perfect strangers, went through to give her what she really wanted. I think that has so much more meaning than just being able to just whip out a piece of plastic or writing a check. You are a wonderful Mommy-- and I can't say enough about the generosity of the DISers that helped you out. :goodvibes :goodvibes

ZPT1022
12-31-2008, 07:42 PM

I thought I had read something at one point about having to buy tickets for that sale. I'd love to hear more about your planning for the trip. Not sure if DDs and I can go this year but it's definitely something to consider.

TravelinGal
12-31-2008, 07:57 PM
OMGosh! I am in awe at the love and generosity here! I pray that the 2 DISers that sent dolls are blessed from giving those gifts and that Mary has many years of joy from the dolls!

What a beautiful story! :flower3:

(and I'm glad I have a boy after reading how expensive these dolls are! LOL)

ZPT1022
12-31-2008, 08:36 PM
OMGosh! I am in awe at the love and generosity here! I pray that the 2 DISers that sent dolls are blessed from giving those gifts and that Mary has many years of joy from the dolls!

What a beautiful story! :flower3:

(and I'm glad I have a boy after reading how expensive these dolls are! LOL)

just wait til he wants fancy lego sets. :headache: Mine is only 4 1/2 but he and DH were in the Lego store checking out everything, and he LOOOOVES the big sets like the $300 Taj Mahal and the $400 Star Wars one (death star I think?). So while we're not buying those quite yet, we will be soon enough. Heck, just the regular Lego sets add up quick enough. He and DH managed to drop over $50 on a small bag of lego stuff in under 10 minutes. Kids will always find a way to drain your wallet :lmao:

mom2princessj
01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
I thought I had read something at one point about having to buy tickets for that sale. I'd love to hear more about your planning for the trip. Not sure if DDs and I can go this year but it's definitely something to consider.

You do buy tickets for it. I've never been but have been reading since I would like to go maybe this year or next. Ticketmaster sells the tickets and if you aren't lucky enough to get them there I know I've seen them on ebay :rolleyes1 I'm sure the poster who went can give you more info though. I can't remember when the tickets go on sale but I know the benefit is over the summer.

Dancemom03
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
just wait til he wants fancy lego sets. :headache: Mine is only 4 1/2 but he and DH were in the Lego store checking out everything, and he LOOOOVES the big sets like the $300 Taj Mahal and the $400 Star Wars one (death star I think?). So while we're not buying those quite yet, we will be soon enough. Heck, just the regular Lego sets add up quick enough. He and DH managed to drop over $50 on a small bag of lego stuff in under 10 minutes. Kids will always find a way to drain your wallet :lmao:

LOL, We've had more than our fair share of lego sets too and can verify that all those little boxes of tiny peices add up a lot faster than you expect them to. Not sure I miss that much. The dolls are pricey in the beginning and end up being just as addictive - if not more so - in the end but at least the dolls are big enough that they don't get caught in the vacuum like the legos that once may have kept electrolux stocks up as we replaced endless belts...:rotfl2:

About the AG tickets... info about the sale can be found on the mcm site - http://www.madisonchildrensmuseum.org/invest/annual-benefit-sale

Sunday admission is free and many of the remaining items are reduced. Saturday admission requires a ticket which ranges in price depending upon entry time from maybe $7 to $12 thru ticketmaster. Typically they go on sale the first Saturday in June and the earliest times can sell out faster than a hannah montana concert. Three of us were online refreshing pages seperately half an hour before sale time last June to get tix for our first trip. The earliest we scored was 8:15 - not bad, several hundred people in a long line after the doors opened at 7 am. They let people in every 15 minutes but you can stay inside as long as you want.

I'm driving again from MD, if anybody is interested in meeting to convoy or share buying limits send me a pm. I'd offer to take you along but as you can see below there may not be any seating left. We didn't buy nearly as much as we were entitled to with multiple shoppers/tickets but still came back with a positively shameful amount of great deals & awesome treasures that made me happy we got back home after midnight and hours after DH was in bed so it didn't look quite as bad by the time he saw it. :rolleyes1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/sesshiyasha/DSC04329.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/sesshiyasha/DSC04328.jpg

ZPT1022
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
LOL, We've had more than our fair share of lego sets too and can verify that all those little boxes of tiny peices add up a lot faster than you expect them to. Not sure I miss that much. The dolls are pricey in the beginning and end up being just as addictive - if not more so - in the end but at least the dolls are big enough that they don't get caught in the vacuum like the legos that once may have kept electrolux stocks up as we replaced endless belts...:rotfl2:

About the AG tickets... info about the sale can be found on the mcm site - http://www.madisonchildrensmuseum.org/invest/annual-benefit-sale

Sunday admission is free and many of the remaining items are reduced. Saturday admission requires a ticket which ranges in price depending upon entry time from maybe $7 to $12 thru ticketmaster. Typically they go on sale the first Saturday in June and the earliest times can sell out faster than a hannah montana concert. Three of us were online refreshing pages seperately half an hour before sale time last June to get tix for our first trip. The earliest we scored was 8:15 - not bad, several hundred people in a long line after the doors opened at 7 am. They let people in every 15 minutes but you can stay inside as long as you want.

I'm driving again from MD, if anybody is interested in meeting to convoy or share buying limits send me a pm. I'd offer to take you along but as you can see below there may not be any seating left. We didn't buy nearly as much as we were entitled to with multiple shoppers/tickets but still came back with a positively shameful amount of great deals & awesome treasures that made me happy we got back home after midnight and hours after DH was in bed so it didn't look quite as bad by the time he saw it. :rolleyes1
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/sesshiyasha/DSC04329.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/sesshiyasha/DSC04328.jpg

I could easily see my car looking like that :rolleyes1 And that confirms that I would need to drive and not fly. ;)

mom2princessj
01-09-2009, 12:19 AM
:scared1: :scared1: YIKES my dh would shoot me seriously if I loaded up on AG like that...and I"d love to do it too! Do you sell the items after you buy them there then?
We'll see if he'll even go for us taking a trip up there. I know dd and I would be in heaven :cloud9:

Dancemom03
01-09-2009, 02:32 PM
:scared1: :scared1: YIKES my dh would shoot me seriously if I loaded up on AG like that...and I"d love to do it too! Do you sell the items after you buy them there then?
We'll see if he'll even go for us taking a trip up there. I know dd and I would be in heaven :cloud9:

Gosh, if I lived within a state or two away, I'd be in big trouble. I'm afraid the DDs and I would be AWOL for a day, if neccessary. I know we went thru Indianapolis on the way there and it wasn't THAT much further until we pulled into my friend's house, even with the stop at the Albanese Candy Factory (oh, what a delicious pit stop it was too...):thumbsup2

I'm undecided as to whether it'd be better to drag DH along - on the con side, he'd be able to say "enough" (not my favorite word at all!) - then again though you could always use his allottment of AG dolls and stuff too if he had a ticket, making the haul even better. Maybe check the transportation board for a deal on uhaul rentals? :lmao:

I did bring some things back for a few friends' daughters but they'd given me lists and $$ to do that before I left home.
I know a lot of people do sell items they buy at the sale but with so much AG on ebay lately bringing lower prices in the past year or two, I can't justify reselling sale items unless they're something we goofed on and decided we could live without. I do sell the unwanted impulse buys and a lot of used AG though as DD8 and DGD7 decide they want to trade pieces of their collections for the newer stuff in the latest AG catalogs those wizards of merchandising keep mailing them every few weeks.

On Sunday left over JLY dolls were $35 but on Saturday the dolls were $55, with bitty baby & single twins $30 each both days. For me, that's a deal if the girls want it but hardly a major profit if resold on ebay (especially with certain ebay powersellers who seem to want everyone to believe that dolls bought at the sale are completely worthless because there's a tiny x on the corner of the rear seam). IMO, it just isn't worth the trouble for a few dollars when I can spend the $$ on things we actually want to keep instead. If you shopped wisely, and knew what resold highest, I can see where there's a potential to make a profit but it'd be my luck not to get that lucky.

Anyway, as you can see, we got lots of great buys but, more importantly, we had so much fun together that week on our solo "girly-girls" trip. I'm sure those memories will be just as magical as the ones we make in WDW each year - and I know I liked the souvies much more. Now, if only AG would open an Amer Girl Place or Bistro in Orlando...