PDA

View Full Version : My Chocolate Chip cookies are not budget

luv2nascar
12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
When did making cookies get so expensive.
This is a huge recipe like a triple batch but really they cost a mint.
Recipe says it makes 12 dozen. I think I got only about 10 dozen good size cookies out of it.

I used a pound of butter
2 bags 12oz semi sweet chocolate chips
1 bag 11 oz milk chocolate pieces (or chopped up hershey bar)

I have $8 dollar in to the recipe already.

5 cups oats
4 cups flour
vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 4 eggs, 2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups regular sugar

I'll bet it was at least $15 to make these cookies. They are soooo good but geeesh.

perriwinkleblue
12-16-2008, 10:47 PM
I know what you mean!:sad2: Be glad the recipe doesn't call for pecans - you'd be adding another $5.00.

CowboyCO
12-16-2008, 11:45 PM
When did making cookies get so expensive.
This is a huge recipe like a triple batch but really they cost a mint.
Recipe says it makes 12 dozen. I think I got only about 10 dozen good size cookies out of it.

I used a pound of butter
2 bags 12oz semi sweet chocolate chips
1 bag 11 oz milk chocolate pieces (or chopped up hershey bar)

I have $8 dollar in to the recipe already.

5 cups oats
4 cups flour
vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt, 4 eggs, 2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups regular sugar

I'll bet it was at least $15 to make these cookies. They are soooo good but geeesh.

I have almost the same recipe, but use 1/2 that much flour and I substitute butterscotch chips for the milk chocolate and fresh orange peel for the vanilla. Yummy! I just made a batch tonight to take to work tomorrow.

Lucily, I already had all the ingredients and I bought about 12 lbs of butter when it went on sale for $1.99 a lb. It still works out to only $1-$150 a dozen. Still cheaper (and much better) than the grocery store cookies!:thumbsup2

I say pour a tall glass of milk and have a little test drive...

hambirg
12-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I know what you mean. I haven't bought chocolate chips in forever! I had a good stockpile in the freezer. I went to buy some last week and couldn't believe how expensive they've got.:eek: I think the last time I bought them they were 99 cents.

christiane
12-17-2008, 12:10 AM
In cookie recipes, I always substitute canola oil for butter & the cookies turn out great.

In a recipe that made 10 dozen cookies, I would only add one bag of chocolate chips at most (mixture of semi-sweet & milk chocolate or just milk chocolate).

If you try these 2 changes, you could save about $6 per batch!

ajk912
12-17-2008, 06:04 AM
I hear you I spent about $25 on ingredients to make 6 batches of cookies over the weekend.

It's still cheaper than the alternative..buying cookies at the store..they taste like yuck (the ones I have tried anyway) and are $4 for 15 oz. No thanks!

BTW, I almost never put vanilla in. It tastes the same without it. The rest of the ingredients I don't really mess with..I am not one to use canola oil or crisco or margarine instead of butter. Ewwww (my opinion only, of course!!! I just try to limit processed ingredients as much as possible.)

princessmom29
12-17-2008, 07:29 AM
It is still cheaper than buying 10 dozen cookies of homemade quality to use as gifts or for parties. Around here that would cost more like $100. You get what you pay for.

kellig
12-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I feel your pain....I did my grocery shopping for baking items yesterday...$150 :scared1: I got butter, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, sugar, flour, sweetened condensed milk, graham crackers & crumbs, peanut butter and maybe a few more things. I have gotten a lot of baking done, but just could not believe how much baking items have gone up! :eek:

luv2nascar
12-17-2008, 07:29 PM
My expensive cookies turned out delicious so I guess its worth it. The beauty of these cookies is all the chocolate. I can't bear to cut back on it.

LuckyMamaInDE
12-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Next year, watch for the baking sales that start up in October. I stocked up on $.67/bag milk, semisweet, white, pbutter, and fancy swirly chips---Nestle and Hershey---at Acme, Pathmark and ShopRite during October and November. I should have enough to last until next fall. All other regular baking items (flour, sugars, b'powder, etc) were on sale different weeks.

beansmom
12-18-2008, 06:23 AM
not only do mine have all THOSE ingredients, they call for coconut and corn flakes AND nuts. needless to say, i usually only make them around xmas.