PDA

View Full Version : changing from Windows to Mozilla Firefox - losing $$ data?

mafibisha
12-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Sorry if this is in another thread, but I didn't see it.

So the news today was that Windows has some sort of security / virus threat, and that everyone should switch to another server, like Mozilla Firefox so their financial (budget) stuff isn't compromised/ stolen.
(when I saw it on the National News I figured its gotta be true LOL)

So, I downloaded Mozilla and it seems fine, but here's my *stupid* question.

How do I open it tomorrow when I turn on my computer? I can't find the icon anywhere, except the one to *download* it - and its already downloaded!?

Also, how do I open more than one window? I like to do a zillion things at once (don't we all LOL) but is that possible?

Again, I know these questions show my total lack of techno-savvy but my kids are asleep and DH is out of town and I think this threat of $$$ being stolen is enough incentive to look stupid! :)

So can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

SplshMtn99
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
If you don't have an icon on your desktop, do what you would do to open any other program, click Start, Programs & then click the program from the list.

From the list, you should also be able to right click & click "create shortcut" so you can add an icon to your desktop.

Not sure what version of Windows you are using (XP or Vista), so tweak directions as needed.

In Firefox, you can open a new "window" if you want, but just like in IE7, its a tab based browser. So open another tab, not another window. Once in Firefox, click File, then click new tab. You can have many tabs. You can also have many tabs saved all as your homepages. I have 4 tabs as 4 homepages.

I googled "firefox for beginners" for you and here are the results. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=firefox+for+beginners&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=
Keep in mind there have been several versions, so read the one pertaining to your version. You can also find ways to move your IE7 favorites/bookmarks over to FF too. You can customize its look.

In FF, the bookmarks list includes a link to their Help & Tutorials section. If you can't find that, here it is. http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/

mafibisha
12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Thank you very much for the quick reply, its very helpful!

So far I love clicking on file to open new tabs/windows (do all browsers have different names?)

But when I go to programs and Mozilla Firefox and right click, I don't get the 'create shortcut'. But I'll keep trying.

Thanks again. I'll probably have more questions later LOL:rolleyes:

S. C.
12-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Microsoft is coming out with a patch to fix it, I believe it said tomorrow.

pbharris4
12-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Microsoft is coming out with a patch to fix it, I believe it said tomorrow.

I read an article this evening that Microsoft isn't even sure if the patch will work. Personally, I just switched to Mozilla Firefox. DH said it was better anyway. He's an IT guy. I just downloaded and saved it to my Desktop without any problem. Hope you get it working.

S. C.
12-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I read an article this evening that Microsoft isn't even sure if the patch will work. Personally, I just switched to Mozilla Firefox. DH said it was better anyway. He's an IT guy. I just downloaded and saved it to my Desktop without any problem. Hope you get it working.

Glad you like firefox, I've never tried it but have read conflicting things about it.

Pssst.....you hope i get what working?

CowboyCO
12-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I use Firefox most of the time and we are exclusive on it at work. It is supposed to be more secure than IE. I talked to our IT guy and he said the main reason it is more secure is because nearly all the malware/spyware/adware programming is written to attack IE because 80% of all internet users are on IE. Since Mozilla is only 8-10% of overall users, hackers aren't trying to break it down. He said if they turned their sights on Firefox, they'd probably find some chinks in the armor, but it won;t happen until they pick up significant market share...

Green Tea
12-17-2008, 04:25 AM
Sorry if this is in another thread, but I didn't see it.

So the news today was that Windows has some sort of security / virus threat, and that everyone should switch to another server, like Mozilla Firefox so their financial (budget) stuff isn't compromised/ stolen.
(when I saw it on the National News I figured its gotta be true LOL)

So, I downloaded Mozilla and it seems fine, but here's my *stupid* question.

How do I open it tomorrow when I turn on my computer? I can't find the icon anywhere, except the one to *download* it - and its already downloaded!?

Also, how do I open more than one window? I like to do a zillion things at once (don't we all LOL) but is that possible?

Again, I know these questions show my total lack of techno-savvy but my kids are asleep and DH is out of town and I think this threat of $$$ being stolen is enough incentive to look stupid! :)

So can someone please help? Thanks in advance.

It isn't a server, just a browser, and you can do anything on it you do with Explorer. You access website the same way. (Hopefully with just more security) You can have more than one window or one tab open at the same time. I have a Mac, so the commands are likely a little different. But you do it the same way as you do with explorer. File, new page or file, new tab are the commands on the Mac. Yours may be slightly different on a pc, but it will work.

torinsmom
12-17-2008, 05:19 AM
I love, love, love Firefox and have used it for as long as I can remember. My IT cousin calls Internet Explorer Internet EXPLODER, LOL. One thing that irritates me is that some websites will not work with Firefox. I believe it is when they use programs that are more prone to viruses; Firefox does not support those programs. So I use IE only when necessary.

Marsha

turnlisa
12-17-2008, 05:55 AM
I love, love, love Firefox and have used it for as long as I can remember. My IT cousin calls Internet Explorer Internet EXPLODER, LOL. One thing that irritates me is that some websites will not work with Firefox. I believe it is when they use programs that are more prone to viruses; Firefox does not support those programs. So I use IE only when necessary.

Marsha

Actually, the reason that most websites don't use Firefox is that you have to do special programming for the web to work with it. Speaking as IT, we have had to write a couple of our sites to be compatible with FireFox. It didn't seem to take much but did have to be programmed especially for that browser. Once written, it is compatible with both IE and Firefox but it is going through that extra effort.

TallyTutter
12-17-2008, 06:06 AM
I work at our school district's IT department, we are a total Microsoft shop. I detest IE, I use FireFox & have since Netscape was taken over.

You can get an extension on called IE Tab that enables you to use the imbedded IE engine within FireFox. I have to use this when I make changes within SharePoint (a Microsoft product). I have not had any problem with the IE tab & haven't had to go outside of FireFox since I downloaded the extension. Just search for IE Tab under the extensions on Mozilla.com.

jsmith
12-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Just an observation-but switching to FireFox now is rather like closing the barn door after the horse has run away-the vunerablity that is attracting so much attention has existed in IE since version 5.0. FireFox-or any Mozilla based browser is more secure for the same reason a unix or linux based OS is-attackers dont write stuff to exploit it-when it gets enough users -they will.

crl
12-17-2008, 09:26 AM

Marsha

We too only use IE when needed. Otherwise, we are strictly a Firefox household. DH is a software engineer for the government so we run what he tells us is safe.

SplshMtn99
12-17-2008, 11:48 AM

Marsha

There is an add-on for Firefox that will allow it to work on IE only sites. Let me look for it.

Taken from another site:

That's because pages made with M$ Front Page often do not conform to web standards. They conform to Microsoft standards. the Firefox add on to "view page as IE" solves those few times it has happened with me.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

If you encounter a page that only works with IE, you can just click the button at the bottom of the browser and it reloads the page using and IE emulator. The emulator works so well that you can use Microsoft Update on Firefox without a problem. You can even permanently mark pages to load as IE only.

barblue
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
OP - I prefer using keyboard shortcuts to open a new tab/window so I thought I'd pipe in with them. To open a new tab, hold down the CTRL key while you hit the "T" key. (CTRL + "T") This opens a new blank tab and puts the cursor in the address bar, so you can immediately type the new url if you know where you want to go. You can also scroll through all your open tabs by holding down the CTRL key while you hit the "Tab" key. Both are quicker than doing it by mouse!

CTRL + "N" opens an entirely new window. CTRL + "W" closes your current tab. Holding down CTRL and Shift then "W" closes the entire window.

Count me as another Firefox fan!

mafibisha
12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow, thanks all for your advice and ideas. Lots to digest.

Here's likely a very basic question.

After I clicked on another link (here in this thread), I couldn't go *back* to this page (the green colored back arrow was grey).

So I started to *X* out, and a box popped up asking me if I wanted to close ELEVEN tabs!!!??? :scared1:
I had no idea I had that many open! And WHERE are they? I just wanted to Go Back to the page I was on (this page), so I had to retype the address in the address bar at the top!! :confused3

HELP!! What the heck am I doing wrong??

bumbershoot
12-17-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow, thanks all for your advice and ideas. Lots to digest.

Here's likely a very basic question.

After I clicked on another link (here in this thread), I couldn't go *back* to this page (the green colored back arrow was grey).

So I started to *X* out, and a box popped up asking me if I wanted to close ELEVEN tabs!!!??? :scared1:
I had no idea I had that many open! And WHERE are they? I just wanted to Go Back to the page I was on (this page), so I had to retype the address in the address bar at the top!! :confused3

HELP!! What the heck am I doing wrong??

Sounds like when you click on a link, it opens a new tab.

On my screen, which is probably a little different b/c I'm on a Mac, at the very top of the browser I have the name of the page I'm on (so right now it's The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Reply to Topic).

Looking down a bit I see the "back", "reload", "home" buttons in colors ("forward" and "stop" are grey), then the box where the URL of the site is.

Looking down a bit more I have some bookmarks that I really should get rid of, in tiny little font.

And then below that, I see 8 tabs across in a straight line.

I do NOT know how to change the number of rows I have (one row being address bar, one row being bookmarks, one row being the line of tabs) but could you have the row where you should see the tabs minimized? Maybe that's the problem?

OR it's like I was when I first started using Firefox, and I just didn't notice them until something like that happened and I looked around. :) So look around your browser window, see if there's a row of tabs!

SplshMtn99
12-17-2008, 06:49 PM
yes, clicking a link opens a new tab ( not a new window), so to go back if the back button isn't available, you close the TAB. If you wanted to for some reason, you could leave the tab open & just click back on the tab for DIS & you would be were you left off.

I too think you aren't seeing the row of tabs. If you had been using IE7, you would be used to tabs. I'm thinking you were using IE6 or older if you aren't used to them.

Here is a photo pointing out what tabs are: http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~mguidry/firefox/tab.jpg Which of course will open as a new tab when you click on it. LOL

FYI, see that row right above the tabs? You can add / change it if you want. I have it as about 10 icons of my favorite websites so I don't need to keep going up to Bookmarks. Think of it like little icons on your desktop, except they are icons on your browser. The cool thing about Firefox is its totally customizable.