PDA

View Full Version : Well...Looks like I will know tomorrow if my Dh's empl.will close Update post #14 SAD

mum4jenn
12-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I have posted before about my Dh working at Cooper Tire. He has worked there since 1993 and they are proposing to close at least one of their US plants. There was a big meeting in Detroit today to make the final decision and they have called a meeting with all the employees for tomorrow morning. I don't know if I will get any sleep tonight or not.

Their hours have been drastically cut since Hurricane Ike and we have used all of our savings to keep the bills paid up until now. if they decide to close our plant I just don't know what in the world we will do. I do not make much money at all with my job as a lunchroom manager and there just are NOT any jobs around here. The help wanted ads here used to be several pages long and this past Sunday there were 3 ads total!!

I can't believe there are actually people who think there is nothing wrong with the economy.

Please say a prayer for us. Even though the decision has been made already, I just need a little HOPE.

Cinderelly5507
12-16-2008, 10:20 PM
My prayers are with you! :grouphug: It is getting so rough out there for everyone... :(

Mrs.Reese
12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
I know the feeling. It's very scary to look at your field and know that there is very little that you can do with it. I have been out of work for six months now. (I refuse to count my three weeks back in the classroom as work.) You don't want pity. You want a friend. It's ok to be angry, sad and even scared.

I'm sure plenty of people will give you advice on what to cut but I'm going to say something that many will consider sacreligious. Here is the order of bills to be paid~Housing, food, medical. Credit cards can wait. You need to have a place to sleep, food to eat and be healthy.

As far as unemployment, if it does happen (I"m really hoping it doesn't.) remember that there is now emergency unemployment compensation. You can get through this. I never thought that we would be able to do it but we are doing it. In fact, we are doing pretty much the same as we were last year in terms of quality of life. I'm using the UE to pay off CC's so that when it runs we can make it one income.

You will get through this and you will be stronger for it.

luv2nascar
12-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Good luck. Its tough times all around these days.
I hope you get some good news.

iwannbindisnee
12-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Of course you are in my prayers! Good luck & keep asmile on your face.

MoniqueU
12-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts. My husband is on the retail end of the auto industry and we have lost about 2/3s of our income. Not fun nor pretty here in my house right now.
I am hoping that things get back on track for you starting with good news tomorrow.

Jaycey'smom
12-17-2008, 12:13 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you! I know the feeling!

MKCP5
12-17-2008, 05:47 AM
I am with you. My job got cut to 1/2 pay and we cannoy live on that. There is no other work. Not sure what we are going to do I just can't think about it

mcorbo
12-17-2008, 06:19 AM
Here in NJ, if your hours are cut more than 20%, you are eligible to collect unemployment for what you were cut while still working. So, for all those who have had cuts at work, please check your with your state, you may still be able to collect something.

Allison
12-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I'll be hoping for the best.

pumpkinfish
12-17-2008, 07:10 AM
I have posted before about my Dh working at Cooper Tire. He has worked there since 1993 and they are proposing to close at least one of their US plants. There was a big meeting in Detroit today to make the final decision and they have called a meeting with all the employees for tomorrow morning. I don't know if I will get any sleep tonight or not.

Their hours have been drastically cut since Hurricane Ike and we have used all of our savings to keep the bills paid up until now. if they decide to close our plant I just don't know what in the world we will do. I do not make much money at all with my job as a lunchroom manager and there just are NOT any jobs around here. The help wanted ads here used to be several pages long and this past Sunday there were 3 ads total!!

I can't believe there are actually people who think there is nothing wrong with the economy.

Please say a prayer for us. Even though the decision has been made already, I just need a little HOPE.

Just saw this and wanted to let you know your family will be in my thoughts today as I sprinkle some pixie dust on you :wizard: .
On a side note, if something does happen with DH, have him check out area colleges/schools for training programs. Also if DH is prior military have him look into Voc-Rehab. He needs to learn a new trade quickly. I know college might not be what you are thinking of at this point but the earlier he starts the better off ya'll will be. When the Ford plant closed here last June, our college had an incentive for those employees wanting to further their education. Just ask around, it can't hurt.

EvanMaddieMouse
12-17-2008, 07:23 AM
My DH took the buyout package in July and went back to school for skilled trades. He ended in November and hasn't found anything, even though the school promised him placement at the end of the $10,000 course.

Thankfully I'm a nurse and I can pick up shifts at the drop of a hat, but honestly, I'd rather be with the kids more. I guess I have to do what I have to do. He is convinced he'll have a job by mid-January though; although I have to wonder what type of fantasy world he is living in!

pumpkinfish
12-17-2008, 07:29 AM
My DH took the buyout package in July and went back to school for skilled trades. He ended in November and hasn't found anything, even though the school promised him placement at the end of the $10,000 course.

Thankfully I'm a nurse and I can pick up shifts at the drop of a hat, but honestly, I'd rather be with the kids more. I guess I have to do what I have to do. He is convinced he'll have a job by mid-January though; although I have to wonder what type of fantasy world he is living in!

You know it is a tough economy :sad2: . I also help out in our career services department and I know a lot of times the resume can make or break you. If your DH hasn't already, have him take his resume to a 3rd party to review. The school should never promise they will place you. I know with us, we give you all the tools and resources you need (even set the interviews) but at that point you are on your own. Look into your DH doing an internship/externship in his line of work. That will get him field experience which is really what employers want to see. Here is some pixie dust for your family as well :wizard: .

mum4jenn
12-17-2008, 08:38 AM
UPDATE::scared:

I heard this morning that it WILL be our plant that will close. Dh let me know as soon as he found out and they just announced it on TV as well.

This sucks but at least we know now.

hentob
12-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I am so, so sorry:hug:

DebMcDonald
12-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm so sorry for you and your family.:grouphug:

Kristi1357
12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
:hug:

Local_Girl
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear this...:grouphug: Hope things work out for your family soon.

dhcoffey
12-17-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm in Tifton today and just heard the news and wanted to say how sorry I am and :hug: for you and your family.

Heather

eyeheartgoofy
12-17-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm really sorry.:hug:

happygirl
12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
UPDATE::scared:

I heard this morning that it WILL be our plant that will close. Dh let me know as soon as he found out and they just announced it on TV as well.

This sucks but at least we know now. Oh no Iwill be praying for you

Bren's Mom
12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I am so sorry, I wish him the best of luck in finding something else very quickly!

Kimkimba
12-17-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm so sorry. I hope things are quick to work out for you and your family.

JoiseyMom
12-17-2008, 09:48 AM
:grouphug:

mum4jenn
12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys. I came home sick from work.I have some kind of virus (dd was home Monday and Tuesday with it and I guess I got it from her.

We do not know yet about severance packages and the timeline for closure. Originally it was going to be 18 months but a few weeks ago said 12 months. My Dh will have 16 years in as of January so I HOPE he will be one of the last to go. I guess the next few days will give us more answers.

tinkarooni
12-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I am so sorry for you and your family. I know that you're probably not ready to face it all so I personally give you permission to eat an entire gallon of ice cream today. Than when your DH comes home sit down and come up with a plan. I feel the best way to tackle big problems is ice cream and a plan that you formulate together. Don't give up....there must be a way. Good Luck!

powellrj
12-17-2008, 11:02 AM
:hug: :grouphug:

Savsmommy
12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm so sorry. :hug: It's very scary times we are having right now. I seriously dont know how some people are getting by. :sad1:

mickeyboat
12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm so sorry. :hug:

Denae

CarolA
12-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I am so sorry for you and your family. I know that you're probably not ready to face it all so I personally give you permission to eat an entire gallon of ice cream today. Than when your DH comes home sit down and come up with a plan. I feel the best way to tackle big problems is ice cream and a plan that you formulate together. Don't give up....there must be a way. Good Luck!

When I got laid off I found a box of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies from the freezer worked well.

Tell your DH to take advanatage of EVERYTHING they offer. Mine came with meetings with a placement service for example. Plus don't be ashamed to apply for unemployment. Look at it as "revenge" it raises the 'insurance' rates for the company! LOL!

pixie921
12-17-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm so sorry. We have been in your position several times in our marriage. It's so scary, and things are so rough out there right now. I'm glad for you in that you hopefully have at least a year to prepare. It's a terrible thing to be looking at, but hopefully it will be enough time for your husband to find something even better. :hug:

mhsjax
12-17-2008, 06:03 PM
I know the feeling. It's very scary to look at your field and know that there is very little that you can do with it. I have been out of work for six months now. (I refuse to count my three weeks back in the classroom as work.) You don't want pity. You want a friend. It's ok to be angry, sad and even scared.

I'm sure plenty of people will give you advice on what to cut but I'm going to say something that many will consider sacreligious. Here is the order of bills to be paid~Housing, food, medical. Credit cards can wait. You need to have a place to sleep, food to eat and be healthy.

As far as unemployment, if it does happen (I"m really hoping it doesn't.) remember that there is now emergency unemployment compensation. You can get through this. I never thought that we would be able to do it but we are doing it. In fact, we are doing pretty much the same as we were last year in terms of quality of life. I'm using the UE to pay off CC's so that when it runs we can make it one income.

You will get through this and you will be stronger for it.

Not sacreligious at all, I heard a financial expert say this on talk radio, if it comes to not having money to pay your bills, let the credit cards go and take care of your house, electirc etc.

MoniqueU
12-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping that it will stay open long enough for things to get better in our economy and your DH to get a new job.

luv2nascar
12-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm so sorry to hear your sad update. Good luck to your DH and your family for getting through these tough time.

4greatboys
12-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm so sorry :hug:

figment52
12-17-2008, 08:44 PM

yarlenna
12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
Prayers going out to you. :hug:

Jaklackus
12-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Not sacreligious at all, I heard a financial expert say this on talk radio, if it comes to not having money to pay your bills, let the credit cards go and take care of your house, electirc etc.

Absolutely agree...under no circumstances should Mastercard or Visa be paid before kids are fed, clothed and sheltered.... doesn't matter how mom and dad got into the bad financial spot.....necessities are a priority...credit card bills can be dealt with later on.

mom2princessj
12-17-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm so very sorry :(

Jaklackus
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Absolutely agree...under no circumstances should Mastercard or Visa be paid before kids are fed, clothed and sheltered.... doesn't matter how mom and dad got into the bad financial spot.....necessities are a priority...credit card bills can be dealt with later on.

DO NOT TOUCH retirement accounts unless absolutely necessary...thosefunds are protected if you have to file bankruptcy...food and heat are the only things I would touch that money for....and only after exhausting all other programs available .....

I wouldn't even use it to save a house unless I had a ton of equity in it and the mortgage company was absolutely positively not willing to work something out ..if I was upside down I'd let the house go in favor of a retirement account and an apartment.

NWOhioAngela
12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Chiming in late to tell you Im sorry too. It's tough all over. My job got (with an auto industry supplier) got eliminated last week. A lot of us know all to well how you feel.

Kellydelly
12-19-2008, 05:57 PM

I love how Baker College is still advertising that 98% of their grads get jobs after graduation. Yeah right :rolleyes1 !

Kathi OD
12-19-2008, 06:44 PM
:hug:

I know what you will be going through. DH has been out of work since June and contrary to what some people here will tell you, the economy is NOT good in most parts of the country and jobs are NOT abundant, even if it appears that the mall parking lot is full.

As PP said, if you have to make decisions as to where your money goes, definitely shelter, food, and health before cc debt. Also, while being on unemployment isn't anything like collecting your full salary (DH collects a little more than 1/4 his previous take home pay), it's better than nothing and good for 46 weeks in many states.

KirstenB
12-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm very sorry. :hug:

roxy83
12-19-2008, 07:28 PM
I know that nothing will make you feel better but I want you to know how sorry I am for you. The blessing is that they are providing the employees with about a year of notice as well as possible severance. Keep your head held high and start saving now while you have money coming in.

Above everything else try to have a Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays if that is more applicable).

rentayenta
12-19-2008, 08:26 PM

rcraw45425
12-19-2008, 10:13 PM
SO sorry to hear this. We are north of you, in Columbus. Hopefully your DH finds something else quickly and you and your family make out okay. DBIL was let go over a year ago from a travelling sales position. He now works part time on direct commission selling insurance and part time making collection calls in the evening for one of the bank card companies, So I know how tough it can be. Thoughts, prayers and pixie dust are going out to you.

DisneyMomOK
12-20-2008, 01:54 AM
Please let me add my sympathy for your DH's job loss. I know how hard that is on both a personal, emotional level (we are all defined, somewhat, by what we do) and a financial level. I will add my pixie dust that a solution to your difficulty will come soon. Please take care.