PDA

View Full Version : DD 13 was given the hard push to open a credit card at Sears

patsal
12-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I took my youngest shopping last night (the mall was totally dead from 4:30 to 6:30 pm last night I parked three spaces from the door!). While there she was making a purchase at Sears and when she checked out they gave her the hard push to open a credit card. Honestly asked her 4 times, DD just kept saying no thanks. I told her next time to tell the clerk (who was not a teen or inexperienced), thats a great idea, I'm 13, don't have a job but I really want that big screen TV for my room, what a great way to get it!:rotfl:
BTW she does not look like she is even close to legal age--if anything she looks younger than she is. As a HS teacher I know some kids look much older than they are, but she isn't one of them. DS certainly, but not DD!

PaulaSue
12-16-2008, 09:55 AM
:scared1: I would call the store and talk to the manager and complain!

PrincessMama605
12-16-2008, 10:02 AM
I would call and complain too. I know some stores have quotas for stuff like that but trying to get a 13 yo to fill out a cc application is very irresponsible imo.

disneynuts777
12-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I took my youngest shopping last night (the mall was totally dead from 4:30 to 6:30 pm last night I parked three spaces from the door!). While there she was making a purchase at Sears and when she checked out they gave her the hard push to open a credit card. Honestly asked her 4 times, DD just kept saying no thanks. I told her next time to tell the clerk (who was not a teen or inexperienced), thats a great idea, I'm 13, don't have a job but I really want that big screen TV for my room, what a great way to get it!:rotfl:
BTW she does not look like she is even close to legal age--if anything she looks younger than she is. As a HS teacher I know some kids look much older than they are, but she isn't one of them. DS certainly, but not DD!

Has happened to my DD also at Sears. I went up to the counter to see what was taking so long and there was the clerk filling the app out for my DD. I just about fell on the floor. DD is 12!!! I asked DD if she knew what she was filling out and she said that" if I filled out this form I would get extra money off my purchase." I then filled her in on what it really was. All this while giving the clerk a peice of my mind. I then went and reported her to the floor manager and wrote Sears a really nice vent.:sad2: :sad2:

prncess674
12-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Many of these clerks are underpaid and not very smart. I doubt they themselves really understand what they are doing. I would chalk it up as a time for you to talk to your DD, not a time for you to yell at store clerks.

okeydokey
12-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Many of these clerks are underpaid and not very smart. I doubt they themselves really understand what they are doing. I would chalk it up as a time for you to talk to your DD, not a time for you to yell at store clerks.

Yes, talk to DD AND be sure the store clerks know not to get 13 year old to sign up for credit cards. Is it even legal for them to ask them to fill out the forms?

prncess674
12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes, talk to DD AND be sure the store clerks know not to get 13 year old to sign up for credit cards. Is it even legal for them to ask them to fill out the forms?one of the items on that form is "date of birth" the clerk could have tried to enter the credit app but it would have been declined due to age unless she had a cosigner. It would never really would have been sent in for credit check until all fields were validated. I would just use this an opportunity for you to discuss the power of credit with your DD. The clerk is more than likely Christmas help and part of her training was to ask the customer if they would like to open a Sears card and get a discount. After working retail in my teens, I find it hard to figure out how old people are, part of the process after filling out the application would be to hand over a driver's license or state issued ID. The fact that she couldn't produce one would have precluded the process from moving forward.

pixiewings71
12-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Wow, that's just insulting!!! How dare you assume that the clerk was "not very smart". I was a cashier/guest service rep at Target for 6 years and I can assure you I'm plenty smart. Thank You. In today's economy you really can't assume that store clerks are not very smart. Underpaid? Yes, definitely but to say that they aren't very smart.......just wow.......

I do think that the store manager needs to know that it happened though, that is simply unacceptable!! I would call for sure and just let management know what happened.

Kies99
12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
It's against the law for a minor to enter into a legal contract, which is what a credit card is, without an adult co-signing.

I definitely would have talked to the store manager and regional manager as well as called the BBB.

prncess674
12-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Wow, that's just insulting!!! How dare you assume that the clerk was "not very smart". I was a cashier/guest service rep at Target for 6 years and I can assure you I'm plenty smart. Thank You. In today's economy you really can't assume that store clerks are not very smart. Underpaid? Yes, definitely but to say that they aren't very smart.......just wow.......I worked retail for several years, and there were lots of DUMB stupid people in that industry. I didn't say all, but yes lots of them are poorly trained, poorly educated and had ZERO common sense. The ZERO common sense and lack of intelligence is why they were pushing credit on a 13 yr old. Retail positions tend to attract the poorly educated, it is a fact of life. You are taking it personally.

I do think that the store manager needs to know that it happened though, that is simply unacceptable!! I would call for sure and just let management know what happened.
Calmly informing management is one thing but reeming out an $8 an hour Christmas worker is like spitting in the wind.

allyphoe
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM
It's against the law for a minor to enter into a legal contract, which is what a credit card is, without an adult co-signing.

It's perfectly legal for a minor to agree to a contract. Unfortunately for the other party to the contract (the credit card company), the contract is avoidable at the minor's option, with few exceptions. So if you sell a minor a shiny new car on credit, and they crash it (or just change their minds after a month or two) they can hand over the keys and walk away from the loan with no further obligation to pay you. Which is why the credit app would have been declined due to age.

A contract between a minor with an adult co-signer and some third party is really a contract between the adults, for the benefit of the minor.