PDA

View Full Version : What do you give your child care provider for the holidays?

amsafko
12-15-2008, 07:03 PM
We have a wonderful woman who watches our son with a few other children M-F. Last year, we had just begun with her the month before and I almost forgot to get her anything at all but I did get her a $25 gift card to Kohls. I have no idea what is an appropriate amount to spend/give her. So what do you do? Thanks.

DebMcDonald
12-15-2008, 07:07 PM
I am a daycare provider and my gifts range from nothing to a weeks pay. I think that whatever you decide just include a note with how much she means to you, those notes far exceed any gifts I ever get.

carj
12-15-2008, 07:13 PM
I think that somewhere in the $25-$50 range is great. I think that it is always wonderful to be appreciated and I am sure that your gift will be well received.

jlparedes
12-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Last year I gave a $50 Costco gift card. This year I overpaid her for a day on accident, and I think I'll tell her not to worry about and I have a "family night" basket I made for them with some card games, a movie, popcorn, candies and little things like that in it. We scaled back big time this year, so I hope they enjoy it.

aprilgail2
12-15-2008, 08:08 PM
One weeks pay.

KirstenB
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm a sahm now, but when our older dd was in a home daycare, I always wrote her caregiver a bonus check for a week's pay, and tried to find something small like an ornament, to go with it. Once she switched to a center, there were multiple teachers, so it got trickier.

SnowWhite2
12-15-2008, 08:59 PM
One week's pay here also.

Amy&Josh
12-16-2008, 06:22 AM
With money being tight, I am giving my sitter a movie night basket with two movies from netflex and some popcorn... It is the thought that counts :thumbsup2

Darcy03231
12-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Its been a number of years since my children required daycare, but when they did I gave her a week's pay.

puffkin
12-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Wow, a week's pay is a lot to give! That is pretty much more than I spend on my own DS at Christmas!

My home daycare provider was a big Disney fan so we always picked up something neat on our trips for her for Christmas. Last year it was an Alice in Wonderland ornament (her favorite character) and this year it was a Jack Skellington snow globe (another favorite). The dollar amount wasn't a lot (less than $25) but we tried to buy things that showed we knew what her favorites were.

ZPT1022
12-16-2008, 07:37 AM
I was a daycare teacher prior to having kids and I watch my cousin's kids in my house now. Honestly, just anything that shows that you remembered and care would be nice. Last year I watched them on Christmas Eve, against my better judgement to even do that at all but I was trying to be nice so I did it. That kid puked all over my house and when I called the parents and said to come and get her, nothing. No card, no gift, no "merry christmas", no offer to help clean up the barf (they are not supposed to send their kids when they are sick, let alone sick and on a holiday). So here I am, already stressed about the normal holiday family demands and I am scrubbing barf off of everything and washing barf laundry instead of being with my family. Super. Oh and I gave gifts to their kids ($15-20/kid) and nothing- not even a card.

Just do something, anything. Even if it's just a card with a note saying how nice it is to know that your kids are in good hands and how much you appreciate that. It's largely a thankless job and it's nice to feel appreciated every now and then.

ZPT1022
12-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Wow, a week's pay is a lot to give! That is pretty much more than I spend on my own DS at Christmas!

My home daycare provider was a big Disney fan so we always picked up something neat on our trips for her for Christmas. Last year it was an Alice in Wonderland ornament (her favorite character) and this year it was a Jack Skellington snow globe (another favorite). The dollar amount wasn't a lot (less than $25) but we tried to buy things that showed we knew what her favorites were.

while I certainly wouldn't complain about a week's pay, your gift is nice because it shows that you actually know your daycare provider as a person. :thumbsup2

lindal
12-16-2008, 08:12 AM
When my kids had a nanny we gave her a weeks pay for the holidays. When they started going to a daycare center we gave each the teachers in the room $25 Visa gift cards.

Fabinva
12-16-2008, 08:20 AM
One weeks pay

DVC Sadie
12-16-2008, 08:25 AM
We always gave one weeks pay.

lalagrace
12-16-2008, 08:41 AM
1 weeks pay! are you kidding me?!! My son goes to a great childcare center, but he has 4 teachers. No way I could afford that. I am planning to give cards with a nice note, and a drawing from my son

jennilouwho
12-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I am a childcare provider and generally get a $50 gift, whether it be a giftcard or gifts that are around that amount. A week's pay would be nice, but I'd never expect that. They also do something for my birthday every year and I think it's nice they remember... :)

mickeyboat
12-16-2008, 09:17 AM
We send our provider (who actually doesn't watch the kids anymore, but we love her) a balsam wreath from LL Bean.

Denae

peyton18
12-16-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm a childcare provider too & generally get gift cards to my favorite hair salon or restaurant - usually in the $25 - $50 range. An extra weeks pay would be nice but I would never expect it & would be totally surprised!

RadioFanatic
12-16-2008, 09:36 AM
with the help of a great DIS'er on the DISigns board (Kellybell), I'm making great tshirts with each of my teacher's names on it and saying "A Really great Teacher at ...".

It is only costing me about $5 per shirt and it's something different for them!

mrsheppo
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I will give my childcare provider a small gift along with $50. I also give each of her 4 kids a small gift for Christmas. This year it will be fleece blankets.

luvsJack
12-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Some of my favorite gifts from my time in a child care center are the ornaments. I still put them all on my tree and have them marked as to who gave them to me and when--the homemade ones are the best; whether made by the parent or the child.

We also had parents that would bring a gift basket for all the employees to share. A cookie and hot chocolate basket, snack basket (included all kinds of chocolate covered stuff, nuts, unusual crackers, crocks of cheese spread, etc.), veggie trays and fruit trays were all some that we really enjoyed.

Another gift we really enjoyed were gift cards to restaurants, theaters, etc. Gave us the ability to have a night out. One year we all got gc's to the same restaurant, we used them for a "girl's night out"--had a great time.

paper1225
12-16-2008, 09:53 AM
As a former in home day care provider, the best present I recieved was from a family that gave me a card with a weeks pay in it, which was very appreciated - but the best was a halmark ornament and a picture of the girl I watched in the box. I have stopped babysitting, but each year when I pull out my ornaments I get that memory, which is great!!

jackskellingtonsgirl
12-16-2008, 10:10 AM
I am a nanny. The standard holiday gift is one week's salary plus a small gift from the children. I am referring to full time nannies who work in the child's home.

Christmas-in-Disney
12-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I think when people say a weeks pay they probably mean what they pay them for a week of watching their child, not what the parent makes a week. Big difference! I do daycare and that is what some parents give me. Some kids are part time so that may only be $25. Some parents give nice gifts like Longerberger or something. Some parents give nothing. I agree with previous posters, it is just nice to be thought of in some way. I get at least something little for every kid I watch. Also some small treat for other holidays....Easter, Halloween, Valentines.

JennSaint
12-16-2008, 11:58 AM
To turn this around a bit I am a Nanny. I go to the family's house to watch their baby and sometimes his 8 year old sister. I just started with them 3 months ago. I've already purchased gifts for the children and have been comtemplating getting a gift for their parents. Not sure if it's appropriate and how much I should spend??? Any other nannies out their buy gifts for their employers?
Thanks!

albertamommyof4
12-16-2008, 12:09 PM
i do day care in my home and i do 1 fulltime and 1 part time . I bought each of the kids something and the magical elf will be bringing them a stocking of goodies as they are not here chrismtas day. I bought the parents each a box of chocolates and a nice christmas card. The kids are making there parents a chrismtas wood photo frame( they colored it ) and i will put a picture of them in it and also they made tree decorations out of styrofoam balls . As far as what i recive well from the full time nothing usually ( a card would be nice) as far as the part time this is the first chrismtas i have him and the mom said she was dropping something off.
I will be surprised with what ever i do recieve, but a thank you and a card is so much apreciated anything beyound i think any caregiver would be very appreciative with .

sisaaliyah
12-16-2008, 12:26 PM
We got our sitter a sweatshirt from Victoria's Secret. She always wears the sweat pants from there, and had commented awhile back about them being expensive and she always buys the pants, but not the sweatshirt. Last year I did a $30 gift card for Victoria's Secret with a candle and some other stuff from Bath & Body. His first Christmas there he had only been going there for a month or so and we got her the pump of soap from Bath & Body with a Christmas hand towel. That's one of my favorite gifts to give people as a set and it's not very much money.

CapnJacksGirl
12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Wow, I was feeling pretty good about the Disney Storybook ornament set I got for my day care provider until I read this thread, now I feel like a big cheapskate! This has me totally paranoid that the other kids' parents are giving her a week's salary as a bonus. I have two kids staying with her and to pop for an extra week's pay would almost as much as what I've spent on my kids, my husband, and my brother combined! I guess I'll spend the rest of the day trying to decide if I should throw a gift card or something else in there too. And to think that I thought I was done with Christmas gifts! :rotfl:

sksjasams
12-16-2008, 12:52 PM
When my son went to a home daycare we would give her $25 plus a nice hardcover picture book for the daycare (such as the Polar Express). She was wonderfull, but already received 6 weeks paid time off per year as part of her contract. I never would have considered a weeks pay for a gift.

My son goes to a daycare center now after school and full time in the summer. We give a small item such as a box of Andes Candies or a small ornament and a card to each of the teachers. Last year we also gave a $20 gift card to the director as a token of thanks for her help and understanding when DH was laid off.

MEredhead
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I have given everything from one week's pay to gift cards to local restaurants that they normally wouldnt have tried. This year in trying to accomodate two daycares and multiple school teachers - I ordered Mrs Prinables choc/caramel apples from QVC. For a few daycare teachers I am going to add a bottle of homemade Baileys Irish Creme along with it.

pixiesilk
12-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I made a homemade mocha coffee mix for my DS teachers this year. I packaged it in a pretty bag and then put the bag into a tall holiday mug. I did this for his two main teachers and the two owners. For the part timers that are in his room from time to time I am taking in a cookie tray.

Cibahwewah
12-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm going to pay my sitter for Christmas week, even though it's only for 2 days work. I think that and a $50 Target card should be sufficient.

arielsleepingbeauty
12-16-2008, 04:48 PM
i don't give to my daycare provider anymore.

memphismovin
12-16-2008, 05:31 PM
As a provider I think the most important thing to remember is that we have lives outside of school. While favorite teacher ornaments are sweet, it just doesn't suggest that you really care about us as people involved with your family. We love getting gifts like lotions and candles or gift cards. Even a home baked treat is lovely. Think about how many hours you intrust another person with the care and safety of your children and let that dictate what you feel is appropriate. Also keep in mind that if your child attends a center, we are only making $7-$10hr for all the work we do. Not to sound greedy here...it just hurts a bit to get nothing but a card/ornament from a child when we buy well thought out gifts for them from our modest earnings. jmo

Doesney
12-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Its been a number of years since my children required daycare, but when they did I gave her a week's pay.

Same here.

ameraumi
12-16-2008, 07:44 PM
i don't give to my daycare provider anymore.

Not even a card?

I have had daycare families that could not give me a gift and had their children color a picture and include it in a nice card. Most of the gifts I have received are GC out to eat, ornaments, books for the daycare, candles, coffee sets, and last year I had a parent provide a full breakfast for the daycare to give me a morning off from cooking. That was a nice treat!

Kae
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
when the kids went to Daycare we gave her BoyScout mircowave popcorn. And a Estee Lauder Private Collection gift set. My parents company would give out these awesome South bend Chocolate Set & they would give her one of those, my parents picked up the kids at least once a week for us.

Kae

MentalVacation
12-16-2008, 07:56 PM
the first year I gave a 25.00 restaurant GC. DS was only 2 mos old and had just started a few weeks before Christmas.

last year -- 100.00. We pay 90/week so that was pretty much a week's pay.

this year -- probably 100.00....I'd feel bad doing anything less now. LOL

We really really appreciate our DCP! We also do a small treat basket for her family. Her two children babysit for us too, and they really go all out for all of the DC kids' b-days.

roxy83
12-16-2008, 08:05 PM
I hadn't even thought about this as our dd goes to a before/after school care center. It has LOTS of people that run the program. However, we normally see the same 2-3 people. Should I get them a little something? I am giving a nice Disney mug with chocolate dipped spoons and cocoa mix to some of our family, etc. Would that suffice?

shancan911
12-16-2008, 08:17 PM
It's funny, as I read through here, I'm questioning myself. Our sitter is a SAHM, and is very flexible with my needs. DH travels irratically, so some weeks I use her more than others. This is our 4th Christmas with her. I've always gone the route of a gift card to her salon in the amount of her service that she normally gets. She always seems to put herself last, and I think this is a nice jesture for her to treat herself, deservedly.
That's all I was going to type, and then I continued reading. When DS was younger, 2-3, we had him in a daycare facility. I don't think giving a gift to the teachers there ever crossed my mind. Now I feel a little bad. I don't know if it was because I just didn't know, or if it was because of the $150 per week I was spending, plus supplying my own diapers:headache: Apologies to providers that have absent-minded parents such as myself:goodvibes

tchrchgo
12-16-2008, 08:25 PM
if she has a home daycare, she might appreciate a gift certificate to the local teacher supply store for things for the daycare.

ZPT1022
12-16-2008, 08:40 PM
It's funny, as I read through here, I'm questioning myself. Our sitter is a SAHM, and is very flexible with my needs. DH travels irratically, so some weeks I use her more than others. This is our 4th Christmas with her. I've always gone the route of a gift card to her salon in the amount of her service that she normally gets. She always seems to put herself last, and I think this is a nice jesture for her to treat herself, deservedly.
That's all I was going to type, and then I continued reading. When DS was younger, 2-3, we had him in a daycare facility. I don't think giving a gift to the teachers there ever crossed my mind. Now I feel a little bad. I don't know if it was because I just didn't know, or if it was because of the $150 per week I was spending, plus supplying my own diapers:headache: Apologies to providers that have absent-minded parents such as myself:goodvibes

anything that shows her you appreciate her would be great. The salon thing is a treat for herself so that is nice :goodvibes I watch my cousin's kids and I was/am a SAHM otherwise. I am so flexible with them and I feel taken advantage of more than not. Pick up time just keeps moving later and later, they come on days they don't typically come, etc... I'm not saying you take advantage of your child care provider but just trying to say that anything you do that shows that you care would be well appreciated. The fact that you took the time to know what salon she goes to and give her the gift of pampering is very sweet

Lisa_M
12-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to get the ladies at daycare anything or not. I guess I have to make a decision here soon. DD goes to a center and there are 5 ladies. I was thinking of a $10 gift card to the grocery store. I know it sounds cheap, but money is tight, especially when daycare is $185 a week. The reason I'm not sure about giving anything is because I'm mad at the director. DH screwed up and forgot to pick up DD one night. I picked her up and I was 17 minutes late and they charged us $20.

DD got RSV and couldn't go last week or this week...I still have to pay. We'll be out of town for 2 weeks over christmas, I still have to pay. Plus, I'm paying my sister to watch DD this week, so I can go to work. So I figure 4 weeks without the extra child there might be gift enough. IDK, maybe I'm feeling like a big scrooge!

tchrchgo
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm not sure if I'm going to get the ladies at daycare anything or not. I guess I have to make a decision here soon. DD goes to a center and there are 5 ladies. I was thinking of a $10 gift card to the grocery store. I know it sounds cheap, but money is tight, especially when daycare is $185 a week. The reason I'm not sure about giving anything is because I'm mad at the director. DH screwed up and forgot to pick up DD one night. I picked her up and I was 17 minutes late and they charged us $20.

DD got RSV and couldn't go last week or this week...I still have to pay. We'll be out of town for 2 weeks over christmas, I still have to pay. Plus, I'm paying my sister to watch DD this week, so I can go to work. So I figure 4 weeks without the extra child there might be gift enough. IDK, maybe I'm feeling like a big scrooge!

I myself don't like my daycare most of the time, but I do feel the need to play devil's advocate here. the director has to pay her staff to watch the kids (and must maintain the state regulated ratios) regardless of whether a child is out sick or not. she can't say, "well, little johnny's not here today, so I'll just deduct his lost tuition from your paycheck." and a daycare really does need to enforce a late pick up policy. it's not their fault your dh screwed up, it's dh's fault. why should the day care pay their staff out of their pocket to stay after to watch your child, when it's not their fault? if they were lax on this, there are a great many parents who would take advantage of this.

Lisa_M
12-16-2008, 09:35 PM
I myself don't like my daycare most of the time, but I do feel the need to play devil's advocate here. the director has to pay her staff to watch the kids (and must maintain the state regulated ratios) regardless of whether a child is out sick or not. she can't say, "well, little johnny's not here today, so I'll just deduct his lost tuition from your paycheck." and a daycare really does need to enforce a late pick up policy. it's not their fault your dh screwed up, it's dh's fault. why should the day care pay their staff out of their pocket to stay after to watch your child, when it's not their fault? if they were lax on this, there are a great many parents who would take advantage of this.

I understand why they have their policy regarding paying even when sick, but I also know that other centers allow a week or two freebie for vacation or whatever each year.

Regarding the late fee, yes DH screwed up, however I was never given any paperwork regarding this fee. It was just an arbitrary number the owner threw out. Also, a staff member did not say late, the owner/director did and it was our first time. She even said, I know these things happen sometimes with miscommunication and had no problem billing me an extra $20 for it.

CarrieR
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Lisa,

There was nothing in your parent handbook you recieved at enrollment regarding late fees? If not, then you shouldn't have had to pay anything. (That said, the standard is a dollar a minute, excepting the first minute, which is usually $5... so that's about right.) Yes, it's steep, but speaking as a provider, if you don't have one in place, you'll have parents late EVERY night.

I should probably add that although I have late fees in place, I don't ever enforce them. I close at 5:30. My last parent usually picks up at 5:40. So... case in point. (Even if I did, though -- I would let it slide if it was unusual, as it was in your case.) Not saying to defend, just explain.

Anyways... to the point of the thread.

As a daycare provider, I usually get gifts that range from $50-150. I consider that MORE than generous (although I would guess any given gift is about half of a week's salary.) The lower end of that spectrum is usually gift cards or a check, the higher end has included an iPod and a renewal to my season pass for our local amusement park (~$160.)

For those parents that have their kids in a center, IMO that's a different ballgame. You usually have at least 3 providers, who each spend 40hrs/week with a group. A small token to each provider is perfectly appropriate.

In-home providers (group care, not nannies, who SHOULD get a full week's cash pay IMO,) spend 50 hours a week with a small group of kids... I know for my daycare kids (whom I've had since infancy) I spend more waking hours with them than their parents do. Christmas is the parents' chance to thank me for helping to raise their kids. I'm lucky though; I have the same kids year in and year out and have parents who really "get it" when it comes to the importance of daycare in a child's life.

For the record, I've done all three varieties mentioned above (and then some, ha ha.)

Forgive the ramble... it's late. LOL! Hope that helps someone...

Lisa_M
12-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Carrie, all I received at enrollment was a sheet with rates (nothing mentioned about a late pickup fee). The only fee on there is if you don't pay by the close of business on Friday. It's a center, but a family owned center with 2 locations.

Thanks for the info regarding what is expected in different settings. It helps to know that. I will probably go ahead with the gift cards, even though we really do not have the money to do so right now (somehow the budget gets messed up every December...). It's not the ladies fault that I'm mad at the boss...

DebMcDonald
12-17-2008, 07:32 AM

I'm a daycare provider and I feel that people forget this is a BUSINESS, we love children and that's why we chose this business, but it's a business none the less and we have expenses, etc. When you call in sick to work the majority of people get paid shouldn't your daycare receive the same if your child is sick. I don't charge my parents for my vacations or my sick time (I never take sick time), but you do pay when your child is not here for whatever reason. I also have a late policy in place, not that I really enforce it, but this year because of being taken advantage of it's now billed in 15 minute increments. So if you show up at 5:01, you're going to get a bill for $15. If you are never late, I probably won't charge that parent, but if you only come three days a week and you are late two of them and other parents see you at CVS and the grocery store, then you are taking advantage of my time and will be stuck with the late fee. If you chose not to do a gift that's fine, but at least do a card letting the person/people know how much you appreciate them. Remember these are the people that you trust your most prized possessions - your children!