PDA

View Full Version : gift cards questions for experts this year

tarheel618
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
My shopping is done except for gift cards

What stores/restaurants should I NOT buy cards for because they are rumored to be closing?

Here is what I usually buy
Lowes
Aeropostale
Hollister
Chilis
Darden (Red Lobster)
JC Penny
Sears

I know I could do the Visas but I hate the service fee and I usually do small amounts on these cards around 20 but some would be 50. I don't want to waste money.

Thanks for the information

Shmily1
12-15-2008, 06:06 PM
There are many emails going out about stores closing that are all not true. If you see a notice on the store's website about them closing, then they are closing, otherwise you should be very safe.

burberryplaid
12-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I think all of those you listed are fine. I haven't heard that any of them are in danger of closing. I think a lot of places have gotten a bad rep through phoney e-mails that have been circulating. For what it's worth, the only place you mentioned that was on the phoney e-mail is Lowe's who has scaled back plans to open new stores but has not announced any closings of current stores.

The Disney Bunch
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
This has been addressed several times on this board- you cannot believe the email going around abou the stores that are closing because a good amount of the information is erroneous. Check it out on snopes. Use your common sense and check the financial papers about companies if you are wondering how a company is doing. good luck!