View Full Version : OT Social Security Card

12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
I know I shouldn't post here but you guys are such a wealth of knowledge and you answer so quickly. I need to take a test for a PT job this Friday. I need 2 forms of I.D. One a DL and the other a SS card. Well I need a replacement as mine is MIA. I am going to file for a replacement tomorrow and I know it can take a while for it to arrive. My question is...Does anyone know if they can give you something to show that you have a SS card and you applied for a replacement. I would really hate to not be able to take this test. The job is ver pt and is perfect to give me a little bit of Disney money.


12-15-2008, 01:59 PM
I am thinking you need the ID for the I-9 form. In that case you could use your DL and a birth certificate or you could use a passport. In any case, they may let you use a certified birth certificate in lieu of the SS card.

12-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I had lost my ss card and then wanted to change the name on it after my divorce was final. When I went to SS I asked if there was anything they could give me that would show it was my number etc. They had this form they gave me at the time.

Last month when I went back to work, I realized that I had lost my ss card AGAIN. The workplace took my driver's license and my birth certificate as forms of identification. They used the number off the b.c. for the I-9 form (I think that is what the form was).

Hope that helps some!


12-15-2008, 02:48 PM
The I-9 requires a pciture ID and proof that you are eligible to work in the US. The company cannot dictate which IDs to use although the company can request your social security card to ensure the name you are paid under matches the name on your card.

This is the link to the I-9 form. The 4th page lists the documents you can use. You need either 1 item from list A or an item each from B and C.


12-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I had to get a replacement SS card for DD, and since she is 17, I had to take her and her birth certificate with me to the local office. (If she was 16, I think I could have just taken her birth certificate and left her at home. Why she had to go with me because of being 17, I don't know. It's not like she's an adult yet. But I digress.)

Anyway, I was given a printout that had her SSN on it, and they mailed the replacement card. I think it took like a week or so to get the actual card in hand. Hopefully the employer will accept that printout.

Princess April
12-15-2008, 04:39 PM
The pp was correct in the fact that you can present the "receipt" as we call it for the I9. And as many pp's stated you can bring other items to fill out the I9 form, but the employer may want to verify your SS#, understandable, and they should accept the receipt until you get your new card in the mail. Good Luck!!!!

12-15-2008, 05:50 PM
I was once allowed to use my previous year's tax info to show proof of my SS# when I couldn't find it (along w/ DL).

Those cards are like socks in the dryer!

Cheshire Figment
12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
And just to stir the pot a bit, the SS Card states on it "For Social Security Purposes Only. Not For Identification." They can ask to see the SS Card for proof of SSN, but not for identification.

12-15-2008, 10:22 PM
>>> not for identification
Businesses can try to use it for identification at their own risk.

>>> socks in the dryer
Often it is quicker to order a new one rather than ransack the house trying to find the old one. Sooner or later you have several and then they should turn up reasonably frequently. Oh yes, when you buy socks, buy a large quantity all the same so finding two alike will be easy.

12-16-2008, 12:24 PM
If you go to the office to request a new one, the office can give you a print out that is signed by the SS office that states it is proof of your ss number.

12-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you everyone. I went down today and they gave me a printout. She said it should be all they need...thanks, again