PDA

View Full Version : Foods That Can Be Made with Only Hot Water

Julia M
12-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi,

I am looking for foods (especially specifics, including brand names) of foods that can be made by just having boiling water. For example, hot chocolate.

I know I could go to the grocery store and just read the labels of products, but thought that people here might have some good suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Julia

Danemom
12-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I always get oatmeal for our trips. Target sells Quaker Oatmeal in a bowl, ready to add water and eat from.
I know others do ramen noodles and cup of soup.

SnowWtch
12-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Instant grits is good and I love hot tea to go with it.

Jsme
12-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Instant cream of wheat is made with hot water.

There use to be some dry soups you add hot water too. It has been years since I thought of those but I use to eat a cream of something soup.

Instant coffee and Russian Tea.

FSUDisneyGirl
12-14-2008, 07:32 PM
Easy Mac
Ramen Noodles

richmond282
12-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Some pancake mixes only require water to make.

Jsme
12-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Hi,

I am looking for foods (especially specifics, including brand names) of foods that can be made by just having boiling water. For example, hot chocolate.

I know I could go to the grocery store and just read the labels of products, but thought that people here might have some good suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Julia

Do you mean with only hot water and not a microwave or stove? I ask because you did not say and you are getting a lot of answers now that include things you would cook with some type of oven or stove.

nena
12-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Kraft Mac N Cheese
Cambells Soup
Quaker Instant Oatmeal
Top Ramen
Chow Mein

nena
12-14-2008, 07:57 PM
Some pancake mixes only require water to make.

Bisquik comes in a bottle. All u have to do is shake it! They have them at Walgreens for $1.:thumbsup2

Julia M
12-14-2008, 08:01 PM
Do you mean with only hot water and not a microwave or stove? I ask because you did not say and you are getting a lot of answers now that include things you would cook with some type of oven or stove.

Ooops.

yes, that's what I mean, just using boiling water. Not with a microwave or stove.

It seems that alot of things use water, but then have to be microwaved.

ANy suggestions are appreciated

Julia

aquaticmom
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Bisquik comes in a bottle. All u have to do is shake it! They have them at Walgreens for $1.:thumbsup2

I took it from the OP's post, that she ONLY had hot water available. Pancake mix, and Bisquick mix wouldn't be very appetizing unless you had a way to cook the pancakes after mixing them up.

Jennifer823
12-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Idahoan mashed potatos evelopes only need hot water, no microwave required, and there are lots of flavors - we had the "loaded baked potato" last night and they are pretty good :)

jsmith
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
REI or any other outdoor store should have a large selection of "freeze dried" back packer foods that can be reconstituted with just hot water. The caviots would be they are quiet expensive and usually very high in calories.

angeleigh
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Ooops.

yes, that's what I mean, just using boiling water. Not with a microwave or stove.

Julia

Cup of Soup or Cup of Noodles

BusyMom2Three
12-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Quinoa ("KEEN-wah" is a grain sort of like rice but more like cous-cous that you find in a box in the ethnic/international section of the grocery store) - you just add boiling water, and cover until water is absorbed, about 10 min

Along the same lines would be instant rice

Baked beans or any beans don't require anything if you don't mind room temp

Same with canned veggies

ZPT1022
12-14-2008, 10:42 PM
ANything canned could be cooked by surrounding the can with boiling water inside of another dish, then opening when hot. That would open you up to things like spaghetti-o's, that already made rice in a package, etc...

if you're trying to have easy meals for a trip or something, we usually find we do best with easy things like peanut butter and jelly, lunchmeat and cheese, and bagels and cream cheese, and more snacks than we would normally eat at home ;)

mommycrawford
12-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Look for "Heat and eat" items that come in pouches you pop in water...I've had some lentil dishes like that...perhaps use that serch enginne thats like giggle...:rolleyes1

Jsme
12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Ooops.

Julia

That is how I replied to your question but then I noticed others posting things where you would need an oven of some sorts.

Zandy595
12-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Couscous
Stove Top Stuffing (if you like it without the butter)

Imzadi
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Look for "Heat and eat" items that come in pouches you pop in water...I've had some lentil dishes like that...perhaps use that serch enginne thats like giggle...:rolleyes1

They used to be called "boil-in-bag" meals. I loved them. :love:

OP, you didn't mention if you have a refrigerator to store foods. If you do, and can borrow a Foodsaver sealer, you can make some great "boil-in-bag" meals of your own. Pretty much anything in a liquid or sauce can be sealed & then boiled. :cool1:

Here's another thread on it. It discusses the need to use real boilable bags:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1998536

Jsme
12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
They used to be called "boil-in-bag" meals. I loved them. :love:

OP, you didn't mention if you have a refrigerator to store foods. If you do, and can borrow a Foodsaver sealer, you can make some great "boil-in-bag" meals of your own. Pretty much anything in a liquid or sauce can be sealed & then boiled. :cool1:

Here's another thread on it. It discusses the need to use real boilable bags:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1998536

All she is going to have is hot water. She will not have a microwave or oven. She only needs things that use hotwater and nothing else.

winnapooh
12-15-2008, 10:23 AM
In the organic section at Wegmans they have soups in a cup that you just add water to, cover, and wait for a couple of minutes. They have a bunch of different kinds (split pea, thai kinds, etc.) I'm sure other stores have them as well, but I've only seen them in the organic section.

Imzadi
12-15-2008, 10:25 AM
All she is going to have is hot water. She will not have a microwave or oven. She only needs things that use hotwater and nothing else.

I didn't ask about a microwave or oven. I asked about a refrigerator. If she even has a cooler & is willing to keep (free) ice from the hotel in it to constantly keep the foods chilled, she can boil IN bag items.

briarrose
12-15-2008, 10:46 AM
If you have a cooler or refrigerator , you can do hot dogs in hot water and rice.

Jsme
12-15-2008, 10:52 AM
I didn't ask about a microwave or oven. I asked about a refrigerator. If she even has a cooler & is willing to keep (free) ice from the hotel in it to constantly keep the foods chilled, she can boil IN bag items.

Sorry I was only trying to be helpful. If that upset you then you need to get a gripe.

englishteacha
12-15-2008, 11:36 AM
What do you need these "water only" ideas for? That might help us make suggestions. Where are you getting the hot water? If there is no stove or microwave, are you using a coffee pot or hot pot? I have a hot pot from college and still use it for lunches at work. You can cook things in it like spaghetti, soup, chef boyardee, ramen, etc.

SplshMtn99
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't know if the OP is asking for in a hotel room or for at home with power outage, but I know people make omelets in baggies that they boil. They make a bunch & they last for days. Reheat in baggie in boiling water.

Again, sorry if its not what you are looking for. We still have lots of people here in Northeast without power, so I wasn't sure of the reason. Reason would help with answers.

Also, is this hot water from faucet OR will she have a hot pot to boil the water? If hot pot, all soups are great. Canned stews.

If just hot water from faucet, I don't know if it will get hot enough...and you'll still need something to mix these foods in. Hotpots are like $10......assuming you have electricity to use it.

I didn't know if she was using a woodstove or a campfire to boil the water in a pot if no power.

bopper
12-15-2008, 03:13 PM
I took it from the OP's post, that she ONLY had hot water available. Pancake mix, and Bisquick mix wouldn't be very appetizing unless you had a way to cook the pancakes after mixing them up.

Does she have a travel iron? :rotfl2:

Imzadi
12-15-2008, 03:20 PM
Does she have a travel iron? :rotfl2:
Well, then she can make grilled cheese sandwiches, :rotfl2: but now we are really getting away from the question she asked. :teeth:

Aristomommy
12-15-2008, 03:21 PM
Instant mashed potatoes, only some brands though you pour the mix with the hot water and let it sit. Same thing with some Asian style noodle soups I usually buy at Trader Joes. DH also used some dried soup mixes that you use hot water. They come in variety of flavors and he thought they tasted good.

SHAYMARAYSMOM
12-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Go to a army navy store and buy the meals from them.
I think they are called MRE.
:rotfl2:

Julia M
12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Hi, it's me, the OP.

The info is as follows: I plan to have a hot pot. I don't know yet about a fridge. I don't really want to do things like heating up canned chili or spaghetti in a hot pot, since I don't think I have the capacity to wash things well.

DD and I will be traveling to Australia for a competition, and I wanted to have some ideas of food that could easily be fixed in our room, for 2 reasons....1 is that I want to save some money and #2 is that some days after a competition, you just don;t want to go anywhere....you just want to collapse in your room

I purposely avoided giving info, since I didn't want this to turn into an entire discussion on why what I was looking for is inappropriate, and if you can't afford to go out to eat you shouldn't be going and so on........you know how threads like this can deterioate!!! But, I can also see why the extra info is needed.

I appreciate the suggestions....I never even thought of cous cous, for example, and I make it at home!!

SO, I guess it would be more accurate to ask for ideas for meals made with hot water, and also shelf stable things like PB or canned tuna, for example.

Julia

ZPT1022
12-15-2008, 07:37 PM
well, the info helps because now it gives more of a clue, like I doubt you want to pay to lug a bunch of canned soup from the US to Australia. ;) Also helps to know that you won't be bringing a cooler or any way to cool things off.

I totally understand the feeling of after a long day not wanting to go anywhere else and just wanting to make life easy. What about things like Luna Bars and peanut butter crackers? Sometimes some snacky stuff is enough. Applesauce containers might work too, a package of bagels, etc...

Try contacting your hotel and finding out if there will be a fridge and if they have grocery delivery. DH and I have stayed in suite hotels before and they offered grocery delivery and the price was even pretty reasonable.

If you bring a small thing of dishsoap and a sponge you could do things like mac & cheese in the hot pot.

SplshMtn99
12-15-2008, 08:10 PM
We did a 2 week road trip in CA earlier this year & stayed in 5 hotels. We flew out there & then started the road trip. Every hotel had microwave for use either in lobby or in room. That said, we bought a bunch of food when we arrived just to have since we had no idea where we would be when we got hungry. Kept bread, peanut butter, jelly, chips & drinks in the car. We had brought a collapsible cooler. Lots of water & protein type snacks like nuts.

englishteacha
12-15-2008, 09:28 PM
If you plan on bringing an American hot pot, make sure you bring a power converter for Australian power. :) Have fun on your trip!