PDA

View Full Version : ULTA store has an odd take on coupons

rapmarks
12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
ULTA sent me a $3.50 off a $10 purchase coupon. I bought $12 worth of things and presented the coupon. the clerk would not take it because after they took off the coupon , my purchase would be less than $10. she claimed that it was corporate policy. The problem is that i have done it there before and it always worked. I have never ever heard of this take on coupon use and wondered if anyone else had everencountered this.

LIFERBABE
12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
That is just stupid! I think that was her take and not policy. At least I hope not!

If it said 3.50 off a $13.50 purchase that would make sense. Otherwise you are right.

Nlbnikki
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
I just spent $11.25 & used my $3.50 off coupon without any problem. Sorry they gave you such a hard time

SUSIEQ
12-14-2008, 04:30 PM
ULTA sent me a $3.50 off a $10 purchase coupon. I bought $12 worth of things and presented the coupon. the clerk would not take it because after they took off the coupon , my purchase would be less than $10. she claimed that it was corporate policy. The problem is that i have done it there before and it always worked. I have never ever heard of this take on coupon use and wondered if anyone else had everencountered this.

That is ridiculous! Did you ask to speak to a manager?

pixie921
12-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately, I think you just got a clerk that didn't understand her own store's policy. How frustrating!! :(

LanaJae
12-14-2008, 05:43 PM
I used to shop at Ulta every time they had a coupon like that and it was always hit or miss with the employees. They would randomly say that an item was excluded, even if it wasn't excluded on the coupon. I never heard the line about the total having to be $10 after coupon though.

The last straw at Ulta for me was a coupon for a free trial beauty product with no purchase necessary that came from a fashion magazine. I purchased $60 of Bare Essentuals (of course no coupon for that) and I presented the beauty product coupon. The cashier didn't know how to ring up the item and use the coupon because it didn't have a UPC so she called a manager. The manager said "I'm not giving this to you, you didn't have a consultation for it." I said I would have a consultation, but then she said, "we don't have anyone here for that product line so I'm not giving it to you." The coupon didn't require a consultation, it even said "no purchase required." I told this to the manager and she rolled her eyes and walked away. Haven't been back. Since then I've heard a lot of the same stories, I think they have terrible management training.

pixie921
12-14-2008, 07:30 PM
The last straw at Ulta for me was a coupon for a free trial beauty product with no purchase necessary that came from a fashion magazine. I purchased $60 of Bare Essentuals (of course no coupon for that) and I presented the beauty product coupon. The cashier didn't know how to ring up the item and use the coupon because it didn't have a UPC so she called a manager. The manager said "I'm not giving this to you, you didn't have a consultation for it." I said I would have a consultation, but then she said, "we don't have anyone here for that product line so I'm not giving it to you." The coupon didn't require a consultation, it even said "no purchase required." I told this to the manager and she rolled her eyes and walked away. Haven't been back. Since then I've heard a lot of the same stories, I think they have terrible management training.

:eek: That's horrible! I'd never go back, either!!

*Flower*
12-14-2008, 08:22 PM
In the past they'd let you double up on coupons (using their coupon plus manufacturer's coupons).

Of course now they don't let you do that anymore- but today I went there to use my 20% off postcard that I received last week.

I didn't try to use any additional coupons- but didn't have any redeeming problems. One of my items was marked $1 less on the shelf, and I got that corrected.

Other than that I had no problems. This time....... :banana:

wendylady36
12-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I can't believe that they wouldn't take the coupon. I was reading the ad today and the coupon said nothing about how much you had to spend, as long as it was $10. The Ulta near me has absolutely horrible customer service, and it's sounding like other Ulta's have the same problem. Luckily for me, a Sephora just opened up across the street. :banana:

TotalSnowWhite
12-14-2008, 09:09 PM
I used to work at Ulta and much, much, much prefer Sephora in terms of quality and product selection. I don't buy drug store make-up, so half of Ulta was a big bore for me. In fact, we had to have clear purses at work, and I carried a clear Sephora bag.

On the flip side, we had horrible customers. I had a man throw his license in my face because I wouldn't accept his two year old (used with dried product) curling iron even though he had the receipt (with the very clearly stated return policy).

carmie3377
12-14-2008, 09:54 PM
I just used an Ulta coupon today. It was $5 off $10 purchase and my pre-tax total was exactly $10. Had no issues at all.

dragonfly18
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
I had a $3.50 off coupon AND a coupon to get $10 worth of free Ulta brand cosmetics when you buy any other Ulta cosmetic purchase. They had their Ulta brands on sale - BYGO so I bought my DD and her best friend each a bronzer ($14 each, but one was free). I picked out a mascara (worth $8), took it all to the counter and they took both coupons without even batting an eye. I was worried they would only let me use one, but I got $37 worth of makeup for $11!