PDA

View Full Version : How bad are crowds Easter week?

krmlaw
12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
We are going down April 10 to 16, and are VERY worried about crowds. Is it going to be horrible? We are staying off property, so no express passes for us ...

Metro West
12-05-2008, 12:52 PM
We are going down April 10 to 16, and are VERY worried about crowds. Is it going to be horrible? We are staying off property, so no express passes for us ...It will be busy that week but unless it's Spring Break, it won't be too terribly bad. Spring Break is a different matter entirely.

drj1950
12-05-2008, 02:53 PM
It is spring break in Tampa

krmlaw
12-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Now our easter week might be different than down there ...

our break is from Apirl 10 to April 17 ...

BuckeyeGuy28
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Very crowded! Let me break it down for you on one of my Easter week daytrips (mind you, this was during Spring Break)

1.) Flying Unicorn-45 minutes
2.) Dueling Dragons--90 minutes (45 with Express)
3.) Cat in the Hat--50 minutes
4.) Jurassic Park--45 minutes
5.) Dudley Do-Right--75 minutes
8.) Popeye--80 minutes
9.) Dr. Doom--50 minutes
10.) Spider-Man--90 minutes
11.) Hulk--120 minutes

:scared1:

If Spring Break lands before Easter though (and this year, I think Orange Country Public Schools break does) then you're safe

krmlaw
12-05-2008, 08:24 PM
how do I find out about the school calendar? ugh ... bad timing!

krmlaw
12-05-2008, 08:29 PM
looks like im ok, spring break is the week before we will be down there ...

blackjackmark
12-05-2008, 09:17 PM
It will be busy that week but unless it's Spring Break, it won't be too terribly bad. Spring Break is a different matter entirely.

That is one of the prime weeks for Spring Break. Keep in mind "Spring Break" is at different times of the "spring" depending on the school system. It can start as early as late February and runs through most of April.

Do a search on the DIS boards and you'll find a poll where others have indicated when their particular school is observing Spring Break and you'll see what I mean.

Metro West
12-06-2008, 05:55 AM
That is one of the prime weeks for Spring Break. Keep in mind "Spring Break" is at different times of the "spring" depending on the school system. It can start as early as late February and runs through most of April.

Do a search on the DIS boards and you'll find a poll where others have indicated when their particular school is observing Spring Break and you'll see what I mean.Yes and that's why I said it wouldn't be too terribly bad UNLESS it was Spring Break. I went during SB two years ago and hated it!

blackjackmark
12-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes and that's why I said it wouldn't be too terribly bad UNLESS it was Spring Break. I went during SB two years ago and hated it!
Don't mean to nit-pick, but Easter ALWAYS falls during "spring break" season. There's no way that Easter falls at any other time. Granted, Easter's actual date changes from year to year, but it's always sometime in March or April....the times that US schools across the country are taking a break.

macraven
12-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Do a search on the DIS boards and you'll find a poll where others have indicated when their particular school is observing Spring Break and you'll see what I mean.

absolutely!

Don't mean to nit-pick, but Easter ALWAYS falls during "spring break" season. There's no way that Easter falls at any other time. Granted, Easter's actual date changes from year to year, but it's always sometime in March or April....the times that US schools across the country are taking a break.

no, Easter does not always fall during spring break.

where i am the grade schools and high schools spring break is the last week of March.
many state colleges in the mid west have the second week of March off for spring break. their terms ends the second week of May therefore, they could no way have spring break around Easter time.

it all depends on what part of united states you live in that determines when the school spring break will be.

blackjackmark
12-07-2008, 07:05 PM
absolutely!

no, Easter does not always fall during spring break.

where i am the grade schools and high schools spring break is the last week of March.
many state colleges in the mid west have the second week of March off for spring break. their terms ends the second week of May therefore, they could no way have spring break around Easter time.

it all depends on what part of united states you live in that determines when the school spring break will be.

Macraven:

I usually just step away from petty, meaningless arguments such as this one, but for some reason I just can't let this one go!

I've never disputed that YOUR spring break does or does not ever, or always, or never, fall during Easter. I've also never stated that any particular person's Spring Break ALWAYS falls during Easter. You are corect, it varies from school to school and does seem to be somewhat regional.

HOWEVER, no matter how much you may dispute it, my statement is correct. Easter ALWAYS falls during SOMEONE'S Spring Break.

Just look at this poll (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1914007&referrerid=93883) on this site. You'll see that there are "spring breaks" starting March 2 and ending May 1. Easter is ALWAYS in March or April. So there's NO WAY Easter falls at anytime other than SOMEONE'S Spring Break. Maybe not yours, maybe not mine. But if someone is visiting Universal Studios Florida anytime over Easter at ANY year in the next 300 centuries, I will stake my LIFE on it that they will run into someone that's on Spring Break!

Your turn!:confused3

GaSleepingBeautyFan
12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
It's going to be very crowded unfortunately. It's spring break for alot of Georgia that week too.
We went that time period in 2006 and stayed offsite. We were unable to do half the stuff we wanted to do because of the crowds. The lines were long and the streets were hard to move around on.

We swore if we ever went again during a crowded time, we'd stay onsite. So when I took the kids back in July 2007, we stayed onsite and had a great time even though it was crowded then too.

You may want to consider buying express passes. They'll at least get you one ride on each major ride so you can experience them all. They sell out early during busy times though so you'll need to decide early in the day if you want them.

the Dark Marauder
12-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Yay for school breaks being tied to holidays that are based on lunar cycles!

Tis true.

Anywho, Easter week (regardless of what month it is) is ALWAYS slam-packed. And the dates in question, April 10-16 are in the CRUNCH of the season. Park hours are here:
http://www.universalorlando.com/hours-information/theme-park-hours.html?month=3&calendar=uo_park_hours&template=uo_park_hours.html&year=2009&month=4&year=2009

10pm close = superbusy :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded:

krmlaw
12-13-2008, 08:45 AM
I just cancelled our trip ... switched to the mountains of VA. I was kinda bummed, but now we dont have to shell out the $1200 for airfare!

jsfein
12-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Unlike the OP who canceled his/her trip, my family is planning its first trip to Universal April 9-11 which I am certain will be very crowded park days. We plan on staying at one of the Universal hotels for this very reason with the idea that this will substantially reduce attraction wait times. Buckeyeguy's post upthread of his waits during a past Easter week visit has me concerned (although I assume those wait times were not with fotl privileges). Should I be prepared for waits in excess of 20-30 minutes with fotl during this period? May cause me to rethink our visit. TIA.

Metro West
12-16-2008, 07:38 PM
Unlike the OP who canceled his/her trip, my family is planning its first trip to Universal April 9-11 which I am certain will be very crowded park days. We plan on staying at one of the Universal hotels for this very reason with the idea that this will substantially reduce attraction wait times. Buckeyeguy's post upthread of his waits during a past Easter week visit has me concerned (although I assume those wait times were not with fotl privileges). Should I be prepared for waits in excess of 20-30 minutes with fotl during this period? May cause me to rethink our visit. TIA.It's possible but unlikely...especially with your unlimited Express access...I would think 20-25 mins tops but that of course can change.

tcolling
01-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Park hours are here:

10pm close = superbusy :crowded: :crowded: :crowded: :crowded:

Thanks for the link to the hours. I am also going to be there during the week before Easter. I am staying on Disney property and hesitant to rely on a shuttle, if we don't rent a car (and pay for valet parking) we may just take a taxi.

I am going to hit IOA first. I see that the park opens at 9:00, but really when should we be there to get in with the first groups of people. We are planning to purchase the express plus pass.

tcolling
01-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Unlike the OP who canceled his/her trip, my family is planning its first trip to Universal April 9-11 which I am certain will be very crowded park days. We plan on staying at one of the Universal hotels for this very reason with the idea that this will substantially reduce attraction wait times. Buckeyeguy's post upthread of his waits during a past Easter week visit has me concerned (although I assume those wait times were not with fotl privileges). Should I be prepared for waits in excess of 20-30 minutes with fotl during this period? May cause me to rethink our visit. TIA.

Even with the on site resort benefit and/or express plus, you should plan on being in the park at opening to minimize waits. Make sure to get your most important headliners out of the way before noon.

macraven
01-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the link to the hours. I am also going to be there during the week before Easter. I am staying on Disney property and hesitant to rely on a shuttle, if we don't rent a car (and pay for valet parking) we may just take a taxi.

I am going to hit IOA first. I see that the park opens at 9:00, but really when should we be there to get in with the first groups of people. We are planning to purchase the express plus pass.

when the garage opens at 8:00, be there by 7:45.
you should be about the 5th car in line then.

if you plan to wait and hope to be at the parking garage around 8:40, you will have a long wait in order to enter the garage then.

once the garage opens, you will be in there and on your way thru city walk by 8:07.

if you are buying the epp before the park opens, do it at the outside guest service window. if that line is long, you can buy the epps inside the park at the main store on the left of port of entry before entering into ioa.
be at the entrance gate asap.

the lines are let in if they are long.

start at the IOA park as they do have more rides open when guests are let in.
the studio side does not open all rides at the official park opening time.