PDA

View Full Version : Meatloaf ????

TreslovesWDW
12-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I thought I would ask this here since everyone gives out good cheap and easy recipes.
I have 4 small packs of ground, turkey ,beef, chicken and pork they are just one pound packs. Well I thought I would make meatloaf, I have not made it for years. Now I was just going to mix with salt,pepper,egg,breadcrumbs and maybe oinion soup mix. Will this even taste ok, with these four meats mixed. Should I forget about it ,take out something or what. Can anyone give me help....Thanks in advance:)

Schachteles
12-04-2008, 12:34 PM
I thought I would ask this here since everyone gives out good cheap and easy recipes.
I have 4 small packs of ground, turkey ,beef, chicken and pork they are just one pound packs. Well I thought I would make meatloaf, I have not made it for years. Now I was just going to mix with salt,pepper,egg,breadcrumbs and maybe oinion soup mix. Will this even taste ok, with these four meats mixed. Should I forget about it ,take out something or what. Can anyone give me help....Thanks in advance:)

I am sure that would work...I used to do it with dry onion soup till I found the recipe that uses Stovetop stuffing...now we use that and LOVE it...one of my kids favorite meals. (HMMM...now I am hungry thinking I could make that for dinner).

wovenwonder
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
I am sure that would work...I used to do it with dry onion soup till I found the recipe that uses Stovetop stuffing...now we use that and LOVE it...one of my kids favorite meals. (HMMM...now I am hungry thinking I could make that for dinner).

Would you please post that recipe. Thanks!

WDWHo
12-04-2008, 12:40 PM
my secret ingredient is a small can of tomato paste. It makes it super moist, flavorful and great! I pretty much add it to any recipe for meatloaf and it really takes it to the next level.

TreslovesWDW
12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
That does sound good,I wish I had a box. Thanks

TreslovesWDW
12-04-2008, 12:50 PM
I am going to use the tomato paste, I thought maybe I would add some ketchup, but I do have the tomato paste. Thanks Oh one more thing is it going to taste ok mixing those four meats together.

2bearsmom
12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I have a crockpot recipe that I use for meatloaf. I had never had meatloaf before and never wanted to try it. Someone gave me this recipe and said I'd like it, they were right! It is very good.

2 eggs
3/4 C milk
2/3 C seasoned bread crumbs
2tsp minced dried onion, I use diced onion
1tsp salt
1 1/2 lb ground beef

In large bowl combine ingredients and mix well. Mixture will be moist. Shape in a round loaf and add to crock pot.
Cover and cook on 5-6hrs or until cooked through.

sauce:
1/4 C ketchup
2Tb brown sugar
1tsp ground mustard
1/2tsp worcestershire sauce
In small bowl whisk together and spoon over meatloaf, cook another 15min. Let meatloaf rest 15min before cutting.

pixiewings71
12-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Mmmmm meatloaf, when you make it put a layer of brown sugar in your loaf pan, then top that with ketchup, add your meat mix (I do crackers, onion, meat and sometimes add an egg if it's dry) and bake it up. The brown sugar and ketchup become a covering that is similar to BBQ sauce but so much better!!!

2bearsmom
12-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I make my meatballs using ground beef and ground pork and they turn out wonderful. I'm sure using all the meats would be fine.

Schachteles
12-04-2008, 01:12 PM
2 pounds ground beef
1 package Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup water
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all the above ingredients and split it into four mini loaves of meat. Place it on a pan (I put down tin foil to reduce the cleanup) and break it on 350 for 30 minutes or till the centers aren't pink anymore.

These are EXCELLENT!!

Vijoge
12-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Your four meats will be fine. Traditionally, meatloaf is made with ground beef and ground pork anyway, although I just use ground beef. I use oatmeal in place of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs. My BFF uses just bread, broken up.
Definitely add a couple of eggs, beaten somewhat, as this will keep your meatloaf from falling apart. Tomato paste, a little milk, and I like lots of onion. Ketchup and brown sugar on top adds a lot of flavor and color.
Good stuff, meatloaf.

lindsmom
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I pour some barbecue sauce on top before baking to add some spice

Aunt Flancy
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup water

Mix all the above ingredients and split it into four mini loaves of meat. Place it on a pan (I put down tin foil to reduce the cleanup) and break it on 350 for 30 minutes or till the centers aren't pink anymore.

These are EXCELLENT!!

I make one similar to this.

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1 can tomato sauce
1 box stove top stuffing mix

mix it all together and put divide into muffin tin
350 fir 30 min

very easy

andysgirl360
12-04-2008, 02:39 PM
All the meats together will be really good....currently I use a Martha Stewart recipe (Meatloaf 101 if you want to look it up on her website). It uses beef, pork and veal, but your combo should work just as good. I find using fresh bread instead of bread crumbs makes it even more moist. Just take a slice or two of bread, cut off the crusts, and pulverize in your food processor. It also has a brown sugar/ketchup glaze that is really good! I just made this on the weekend and it was gone in a flash.

stephgles
12-04-2008, 03:06 PM
I use the three meats (veal, pork and chop meat) along with McCormick meatloaf seasoning, rice, eggs, milk and breadcrumbs. In fact we just had it last night.

pjlla
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I put mashed kidney beans or a can of fat free refried beans in my meatloaf. It adds moisture and lots of fiber. My kids don't notice and it helps the meat go further......................P

CTdiznymom
12-04-2008, 06:35 PM
I use the recipe from Bobby Flay's Thowdown. He was up against some brothers in Cape Cod. Bobby lost. :rotfl:

Sautee some onions, celery and shredded carrot in veg. oil. Add to the meat along with some bread and egg. The loaf is then covered with Ketchup. You can find the recipe on the Food Network site. Yummy.

hambirg
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM
My favorite is an Italian style one.

1 egg
1 can (14oz) diced Italian style tomatoes
chopped onion
1/2 C oats
1/3 C grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb ground turkey (I make it with beef too)

Bake at 375 for about an hour, top with spaghetti sauce and bake for about 20 more minutes.

Yum!

intheworks
12-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Try using salsa as your tomato base. It works great and has your chopped peppers, onions, and tomatoes all in one.:thumbsup2

Vijoge
12-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Try using salsa as your tomato base. It works great and has your chopped peppers, onions, and tomatoes all in one.:thumbsup2

Good idea!

DisBride2007
12-04-2008, 08:27 PM
My DH had an allergic reaction to the breadcrumbs I was using in mine, so I remembered that my mom used oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs. I ground up dry plain oatmeal in my food processor and used the same amount that I would for breadcrumbs. Well, it actually tasted better than the original recipe! Just thought I'd share :)

cndij
12-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I put mashed kidney beans or a can of fat free refried beans in my meatloaf. It adds moisture and lots of fiber. My kids don't notice and it helps the meat go further......................P

I love this, "healthified" meatloaf and a budget stretcher too. I am definitely trying this next time. You should add this to the budget/save money thread.

Lots of other good ideas here, thanks of OP for starting this Meatloaf thread, love the chopped up oatmeal too.

Jaycey'smom
12-04-2008, 09:18 PM
My DD LOVES meatloaf and loves to help make it!! So one of the first times I was making it and she was old enough to help me we added the eggs into the meatloaf. When it was done she did not understand where the eggs went!!:rotfl: It was soo funny! She said mommy this is good but where are the eggs!:lmao:
I just use Ground Beef
ketchup (I know but it is good)
eggs
breadcrumbs
onion soup mix
salt, pepper, garlic powder, crushed red peppers, seasoned salt
mix all together and put ketchup on top before baking!!

dakcp2001
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup water

These are EXCELLENT!!

Same recipe I use, w/o the cheese! DELISH! And easy peasy. And to make it healthy, it can be made with lean ground turkey & egg whites, comes out just as tasty. I top with brown gravy instead of anything tomato

mana_liz
12-04-2008, 09:59 PM
breadcrumbs
garlic
meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal) I think...comes prepackaged
ketchup
parsley
eggs
milk
mushrooms...can be left out

I rub ketchup on the top when I cook it.

I find the ones with onion soup mix are too muchy.

caribear
12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Yummmm!! I make meatloaf and mashed potatoes about once every other week. My secret is to put thinly sliced ham and swiss cheese in the middle of the loaf. My grandma made it this way and it is sooo good!

1 1/2 lbs ground beef (or combo of ground beef and ground pork)
1 cup milk
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
big squirt of ketchup

1/3 lb thinly sliced deli ham
1/3 lb swiss cheese

Mix all together (except ham/swiss). Spread half of mixture in pan....mold into a loaf. Place the ham and swiss on top. Use the rest of the beef mixture and place it over the ham/swiss....mold again into a loaf so the ham/swiss is in the middle of the meatloaf.

Coat the top of the loaf with a mixture of:

1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tbs mustard
2 Tbs brown sugar

Cook at 350 for about 45-60 minutes....uncovered.

Vijoge
12-05-2008, 07:17 AM
I ground up dry plain oatmeal in my food processor and used the same amount that I would for breadcrumbs. :)

Three generations of oatmeal users here. There's no need to grind the oatmeal, though. Just toss it in right out of the box!

MichiganKris
12-05-2008, 07:59 AM
I make my meatloaf using grapenuts cereal instead of bread crumbs. Other than that the recipe is the same. You can't taste the grapenuts in the meatloaf and they are nut crunchy after they have been cooked. My family likes this better than bread crumbs.