PDA

View Full Version : Medical treatment at FW

LarryJ
11-29-2008, 07:26 PM
I had a medical issue that I won't discuss so don't ask but was leg/tendon/muscle strain trauma that could have been a stroke, but wasn't and just spent the last three days at Celebration Hospital. The purpose of this post is to advise members of the Celebration Hospital, how they work are staffed, etc. so others can make better decisions of where to go if needed.

1. Reedy Creek only goes to Celebration at this point and is something I'm going to try and change to give more optons.

2. I had no complaints over the emergency room except that for a leg issue I was given a chest X-ray and the emergency room if you problem can be solved there might be O.K. Full diagnosis could not be done and I had to wait almost 24 hours for a MRI done at Celebration and never really got the results and never saw a real doctor after the ER.

3. When trying to extract myself from there that was worse than gong to the dentist; I learned several things others should consider when going to Celebration Medical Facilities that I learned from a very nice medical technican.

a. While Celebration is associated with Florida Hospital which I understand is great, it's size and reputation is from the private physicans, not associated with Fl. Hospital and number like 1000 to 5000. The actual hospital has very good facilities such as X-ray, CT-Scan, MRI, etc. the inpatient size is only like 3 or 4 general wards with only 40 beds each. The doctor's at Celebration might do minor or even major tests at Celebration, they don't admit or actually treat patients there IMHO.

b. Because none of the doctors are actually staff at the Hospital side the doctor support is minimal for inpatient care and in my opinion non existent.

c. The tech said the in patient care is quite poor doctor wise and nobody that is a Fl. Resident (i.e. lives at Celebration) gets hospitalized there, it's all tourists.

For those wanting more information please ask, but don't try and put it into the context of what my particular problem was since I won't discuss it except for the fact that I and the initial ER diagnosis was a possible stroke and after 7 X-rays of the affected leg, a chest X-ray, a CT Scan, and a 2+ hour 4 or 5 procedure MRI really told me nothing and I never really talked to an actual doctor before getting released.

I will be happy to talk about facilities, equipment (none of the call buttons on the beds worked .... not a good sign),

One up beat thing was the food wasn't too bad.

Larry

OK GRUMPY
11-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank You for the information! I hope you are ok. This is very good information to know!

bigdisneydaddy
11-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Were you able to request a transfer to another facility ?
Often times the hospitals we use in my area are busy and one or more of them are closed. When this happens the patient gets transported to a facility they dont want to be at. Once the patient is stabilized they can be transferred to another facility, often it will be the one they originally requested.

I suspect that Celebration is their base hospital and that is why they only go there. I can see them limiting the facilities they use due to the distance from WDW. Resources being what they are, it takes them out of service for extended periods if they were to go farther.

LarryJ
11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Thank You for the information! I hope you are ok. This is very good information to know!

Yes I'm doing much better after leaving just 4 hours ago. I may have some sort of leg/muscule issue yet to be determined, but will get those resolvee when I do a follow up at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. which is my normal hospital. I now don't I don't have a brain turmor to any blocked arteries ... LOL so no news can be good news :lmao: .

Larry

Judy Judy Judy
11-29-2008, 07:54 PM
We ended up at Celebration Hospital the last time we were at the fort , another don't ask. We spent over 6 hours in the emergency waiting area and another 9 hours in a room, before we decided to just leave. Two xrays that turned out bad and a change of shift that the new nurse forgot we were there :sad2:

But the bill was there before we even got home good. :eek:

LarryJ
11-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Were you able to request a transfer to another facility ?
Often times the hospitals we use in my area are busy and one or more of them are closed. When this happens the patient gets transported to a facility they dont want to be at. Once the patient is stabilized they can be transferred to another facility, often it will be the one they originally requested.

I suspect that Celebration is their base hospital and that is why they only go there. I can see them limiting the facilities they use due to the distance from WDW. Resources being what they are, it takes them out of service for extended periods if they were to go farther.

If you beleive a 120 to 160 bed hospital with little to no staff or on duty doctor sufficient for something the size of WDW :rotfl2:

IMHO Celebration is to treat broken legs, spains, bad lacerations and about nothing more than that.

Larry

Shan-man
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Wow Larry, sorry to hear about the trouble. So what exactly was the nature of your leg problem? LOL, JK, sorry I couldn't resist! Glad to hear you're doing better!

bigdisneydaddy
11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
If you beleive a 120 to 160 bed hospital with little to no staff or on duty doctor sufficient for something the size of WDW :rotfl2:

IMHO Celebration is to treat broken legs, spains, bad lacerations and about nothing more than that.

Larry

Dont get me wrong, thats not what I am saying at all, Those decisions are made WAY above the pay grade that I am at. Obviously your experience shows just how inadequate the hospital is. What you describe is obviously unacceptable especially for someone trying to rule out a stroke, in those events time is very important. Sad that you had to find out the way you did but I am glad to hear you are doing better.

stampin_fool
11-29-2008, 09:02 PM
your trip to the hospital and hope that is nothing serious and you are able to get it resolved quickly when you return home. Your information about the facility was very informative and helpful as every time we go away my son ends up sick. Thank goodness his doctor has always been able to treat him by calling something in to a local pharmacy but you never know about the next time.

Again hope you are doing better asap.

Ronda

auntie
11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Is there another medical facility that is available locally for someone to go to..if they want to steer clear of Celebration?...

Hope your feeling better, and that you're able to get the care you need when your back home.

TheFlame
11-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Larry-

Sorry to hear about your hospital trip. I will keep all of your info for future reference since I am the world's biggest klutz, except maybe for Donnie as I found out today;)!

We got home this evening but it was nice to meet you this past week. I hope that you are able to leave and get home safely as scheduled! I hope it didn't ruin your trip and that you have some good memories and good news when all is said and done!:hug:

LarryJ
11-29-2008, 10:40 PM
We ended up at Celebration Hospital the last time we were at the fort , another don't ask. We spent over 6 hours in the emergency waiting area and another 9 hours in a room, before we decided to just leave. Two xrays that turned out bad and a change of shift that the new nurse forgot we were there :sad2:

But the bill was there before we even got home good. :eek:

Well here are two direct experiences that go to the staffing and working/admin of Celebration Hospital. :scared1: so take it for the spirit in which it was given and if you go there don't expect a first or even second rate hospital experience and forget it for a child with with a high fever or illness again IMHO. After they had taken like 7 Xrays of my leg that went limp and I couldn't stand on or get up and had the CAT Scan about 30 min later a lady walked in with a portable X-ray machine for a chest X-ray and when I asked why since I came in for a leg problem and could I speak with the doctor she left and came back a few minutes later and basically said he wants it before we can go any further ... not my idea of emergency medical treatment.

I will say based on my past extensive scanner monitoring for well over 10 years before Disney went digital they also used Orange County Paramedics for a lot of stuff outside the parks and for more serious stuff like traffic accidents, etc.

Not sure where it is, but IIRC I think Sand Lake Hospital is were Orange County Paramedics go.

Larry

We4mickey
11-30-2008, 12:18 AM
I couldn't agree with you more Larry. My Dsil had a bad experience in Florida as well. After going to urgent care they transferred her to Celebration. She was there for hours with a broken hip and nobody doing anything. No on staff doctor to look at her xrays, pain killer only after being there several hours and not transferred to another awful hospital until about 7 hours later. I can't remember the name of the hospital she got transferred to after Celebration, but it was on the other side of Orlando and very old. She was there for 3 days before they finally did surgery on her broken hip. She discharged herself the next day. She figured she could take better care of herself in the camper than what they were doing. Oh, and the kicker to the whole thing, they did the surgery wrong and she will have to have it done again.

des1954
11-30-2008, 06:06 AM
If you don't have to be transported to a hospital by ambulance and can stand a little driving, Heart of Florida on US Hwy 27 in Davenport is a great facility.

To get there you take I-4 west from Disney, get off on US Hwy 27 and go south about 5 miles.

I've known too many FtW Snow Birds that went to Celebration and experienced the same bad treatment Larry received.

I hope you're doing better Larry.

Flametamr
11-30-2008, 06:48 AM
The chest xray thing must be something the doctor gets a kick back on or maybe they own the company. I took my DD in to Celebration for an alergic reaction and the doc ordered a chest xray. I got the same lame excuse. To rule out other things. To top it off after a 4000 dollar 6 hour visit they did not properly diagnose her illness. She had a virus causing her hives. Her doctor at home found and fixed it right away with some antibiotics.

Now I'm home fighting the bills. Each dept bills seperately and none of them know what they are doing. We have two insurances and they are only billing one and sending me the remainder demanding payment. This is the Disney trip that truely keeps on giving.

ftwildernessguy
11-30-2008, 07:58 AM
I certainly am not going to defend the practices of a hospital I know nothing about, but often times it is difficult for a patient to understand why things are done (or not done) but are based on sound medical judgement. Emergency rooms can be very hectic places, and every patient there is focused on their particular problem. Nobody seems to feel that things move fast enough. I may not know much about towing, Larry, but I do know a little about hospitals.

kmurawski
11-30-2008, 08:31 AM
A few years ago when my gramma was still alive she wasn't acting quite right while we were vacationing at WDW. Front desk suggested Sand Lake Hospital. Good experience although we learned she had a TIA (mini stroke).

2goofycampers
11-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Geez Larry, I thought you were just in a turkey coma since you hadn't posted in a few days. :)

Sorry to hear of your troubles with health and the hospital, hope all turns out well, and thanks to you and everyone for the heads up on Celebration Hospital. Hopefully if one of us gets hurt we can drive ourselves to another ER.

kpatrick74
11-30-2008, 01:37 PM
on Thanksgiving night that went to the ER? We were traveling through loops looking at decorations and I thought that the RV looked like your pics. There was a truck parked in the middle of the loop, a sweet woman jumped out and told us it would be a few minutes b/c she had to call 911.

You might also want to complain about Disney's response time. It seemed like it took a while for EMT's to get there considering they are on-site. Disney staff got there right away (parked at the end of the entrance to those four loops), put on his night vest and had his light ready to direct the EMT to the site.

When we pulled back onto the main road, here comes EMT just traveling along at a regular pace, no lights, nothing. Everyone in our group said pretty much the same thing "I hope I never need an ambulance while I am here". From the time, we left your loop, we went through the other 3 loops looking at decorations at a very leisurely pace before we got back on the main road and saw the ambulance finally coming.

I do hope you are ok and that they have figured out the problem and you will not have any long-term effects from this experience.

bigdisneydaddy
11-30-2008, 02:35 PM
on Thanksgiving night that went to the ER? We were traveling through loops looking at decorations and I thought that the RV looked like your pics. There was a truck parked in the middle of the loop, a sweet woman jumped out and told us it would be a few minutes b/c she had to call 911.

You might also want to complain about Disney's response time. It seemed like it took a while for EMT's to get there considering they are on-site. Disney staff got there right away (parked at the end of the entrance to those four loops), put on his night vest and had his light ready to direct the EMT to the site.

When we pulled back onto the main road, here comes EMT just traveling along at a regular pace, no lights, nothing. Everyone in our group said pretty much the same thing "I hope I never need an ambulance while I am here". From the time, we left your loop, we went through the other 3 loops looking at decorations at a very leisurely pace before we got back on the main road and saw the ambulance finally coming.

I do hope you are ok and that they have figured out the problem and you will not have any long-term effects from this experience.

I am sure that Reedy creek takes their calls seriously, they are professionals. Whatever they were doing, or in your mind not doing, I am sure they had good reason for it.

ftwildernessguy
11-30-2008, 03:18 PM
I am sure that Reedy creek takes their calls seriously, they are professionals. Whatever they were doing, or in your mind not doing, I am sure they had good reason for it.

Sometimes it's like talkin' to the wall, Scott.

leanan
11-30-2008, 03:33 PM
As a local I can tell you that yes people who are local do go to celebration. Although an overwhelming number of people come in from the parks. No you do not want to go to the next closest hospital it sucks even worse than celebration.

There are two main groups of hospitals. One is Florida and the other is the group that are tied to ORMC. My Dad walked off the operating table and checked himself out AMA last Christmas because South Lake which is an ORMC group hospital was so bad.

I am not saying your opinion is not important but just that in the scope of things the care just plain SUCKS in the Orlando area.

ftwildernessguy
11-30-2008, 04:07 PM
My Dad walked off the operating table and checked himself out AMA last Christmas because South Lake which is an ORMC group hospital was so bad. .

Now that would be something to see.

bigdisneydaddy
11-30-2008, 04:55 PM

I am not a big fan of Monday morning quarterbacking Jim, especially when its something I know very well.

kpatrick74
11-30-2008, 05:16 PM

Yes, I know they are professionals and I also know that Disney has one the best Emergency Services operation in the U.S. In fact, Disney was the first place to utilize 911 in the State of Florida.

It just seemed like 15 mins was a little long considering where they are located but then again, it was Thanksgiving. Maybe they were busy dealing with people who were choking on turkey legs at the parks.

kpatrick74
11-30-2008, 05:19 PM

I am not a wall and I am sure that those who have also expressed their thoughts on this thread about Reedy Creek and the hospital aren't either. All we are doing are expressing our viewpoints about what we have seen or experienced.

Of course, I shouldn't expect beer-loving, Monday night football couch potatoes to understand that -- hee hee.

2goofycampers
11-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Maybe they were busy dealing with people who were choking on turkey legs at the parks.

:lmao:

bigdisneydaddy
11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I am not a wall and I am sure that those who have also expressed their thoughts on this thread about Reedy Creek and the hospital aren't either. All we are doing are expressing our viewpoints about what we have seen or experienced.

Of course, I shouldn't expect beer-loving, Monday night football couch potatoes to understand that -- hee hee.

I wasnt talking about what others have said, just you.

Larry brought up some excellent points.

bigdisneydaddy
11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Yes, I know they are professionals and I also know that Disney has one the best Emergency Services operation in the U.S. In fact, Disney was the first place to utilize 911 in the State of Florida.

It just seemed like 15 mins was a little long considering where they are located but then again, it was Thanksgiving. Maybe they were busy dealing with people who were choking on turkey legs at the parks.

I agree that 15 minutes is a long time. How do you know it was 15 minutes though ? do you have the dispatch records ? studies have proven that many peoples concept of time is skewed while waiting for an emergency response.

If you want to throw acusations around then you should be prepared to defend them. he he

LarryJ
11-30-2008, 06:08 PM

:rotfl2: Yeppers that was me causing all the commotion ... just thought I would add some adventure to FW for those not going into the parks that day:lmao:

No Celebration really didn't solve anything, but ruled out a lot and actually made things worse IMHO by not allowing me to even get out of bed basically for over two days so all the progress to get my right leg back in shape (see below paragraph ended up setting me back mobility wise). I'm not questioning some of what they did since a possible minor stroke can cause the exact issues I developed in almost no time at all. Any way we have a back up plan if we can't get all the way back to the D.C. area. I'm retired military and won't go into the details but am a TRICARE PRIME member so if needed we can always hobble over to NAS Jax and stay either at a KOA or on station at NAS Jax and I can go to the hospital and get everything I need at zero cost to me. Now that I can do what I want I have made tremedous progress in just the last 24 hours. I'm not ready to run a marathon and still have a swollen and painful to bend right knee so I can't walk normally yet, but can stand and once I get up and with quite a bit of discomfort and shuffle around the trailer as long as I don't bend my right knee. I don't have normal mobility yet, but I can now put all my full weight on either leg, when I was discharged this was not the case basically IMHO I got no exercise at all so things never improved.

I didn't want to get into the specifics or turn this thread into a medical issue one, but basically what happened is that I have been having some right leg issues. Pulled a hamstring early not real bad and trying to work that back out sort of favored that and walked funny and since I have feet as flat a boards got shin splits. O.K. both those are fixable, but when resting between exercise periods I didn't realize my cushions were so flat I was sitting on basically a board and added a knotted muscle in my right that pinched my sciatic nerve :rotfl: ... talk about adding insult to injury and I've had the shin split issue and the sciatic nerve issue on an infrequent basis, but never those two plus the hamstring all while trying to do Disney so it ended up being a comedy of little things. After getting all those finally resolved I was basically walking normally, albeit not my normal run off and leave folks and X-giving night decided to walk up to the bus stop and go down to the beach and watch the Fireworks. Absolutely no problem walking from the 1800 loop to the bustop and sat down. Then when I got up I must have twisted my right knee funny and down I went and couldn't get back up so that's why this didn't make sense because it was so sudden so being the worrier I am I decided to seek medical attention and so the Saga began. :cool1:

I didn't mention it but in Celebration's defense there was nothing significant found before the MRI and our issue was getting the MRI results reviewed by a doctor to tell me there were or were not any issues. I had the full 4 procedure MRI and finally got ahold of the head nurse honcho who IMHO realized I wasn't getting told anything called another FLORDIA HOSPITAL and thru his equilivant there got a doctor to read the MRI results and nothing showed there so they got me released. At least after a combined MRI cost close to $2500 (won't pay that much since I do have the equilivant of military HMO coverage and not to get into details I'm a TRICARE PRIME member) I know I have no brain tumors, clots in either the brain or major artery issues and a clear spine (so slipped disks, etc.) so there was some positive out of all this and once I get back home all the procedures and results can be re read at my home military treatment facility which is the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md. since they are available to them thru the FLORIDA HOSPITAL system and this system is also a member of the same military HMO (for lack of a better word) organization. I could have check myself out, but would have had to give a waiver that treatment was not complete and couldn't have gotten a Discharge Summary which most likely prevent me from recouping any of the costs of treatment thru TRICARE.

My biggest complaints were the admin, MD staffing, lack of doctor/patient communications and what appeared to be stonewalling of the Celebration Hospital.

To all expressing concern and support I truly appreciate it.

Larry

rdrjj5
11-30-2008, 06:14 PM
We were wondering what sirens we were hearing about 5pm on thanksgiving. We have had to take our young son twice to a walk in facility on 535 a branch of Florida hospital I believe. Care was ok but my husband said years ago next time we should just go to the hospital at celebration as it was probably closer. Thank you for the information on your experience. Hope you are feeling better.

bigdisneydaddy
11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
The fact that you are better is all that really matters now.

LarryJ
11-30-2008, 06:42 PM
I agree that 15 minutes is a long time. How do you know it was 15 minutes though ? do you have the dispatch records ? studies have proven that many peoples concept of time is skewed while waiting for an emergency response.

If you want to throw acusations around then you should be prepared to defend them. he he

In defense of any time issues you have to realize, I was lucid, awake, and really not under what I would call serious medical distress, but simply could not stand and it was me that agreed to have things checked out by a medical facility. What happened simply made me think this is not right and in this case I don't want to self medicate so to speak myself.

Larry

medic9016
11-30-2008, 07:08 PM

Before this post turns bad and opinion start flying, I am going to defend the EMS side of this. The closest ambulance may have been on a call. The call may have be put in the dispatchers system wrong, miss coded, or wrong information given. What you may think is 15 mins may be 5 to 8 min of actual response time. Federal and state guidelines are set for 911 call taking, dispatching times, and response times. Third party dispatching take a little extra times also. Which means a call goes into a call center then transfered to a fire, EMS, or police dispatcher.

LarryJ,
I hope everything work out for the best for you. I don't know how FL EMS transports works, but you should of had an option of which facility you were transported to within reason. Here in SC our patients do have an option, if the facility is appropriate for their level of care and within a local area.

Shannon
Firefighter/Paramedic
911 dispatcher

bigdisneydaddy
11-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Before this post turns bad and opinion start flying, I am going to defend the EMS side of this. The closest ambulance may have been on a call. The call may have be put in the dispatchers system wrong, miss coded, or wrong information given. What you may think is 15 mins may be 5 to 8 min of actual response time. Federal and state guidelines are set for 911 call taking, dispatching times, and response times. Third party dispatching take a little extra times also. Which means a call goes into a call center then transfered to a fire, EMS, or police dispatcher.

LarryJ,
I hope everything work out for the best for you. I don't know how FL EMS transports works, but you should of had an option of which facility you were transported to within reason. Here in SC our patients do have an option, if the facility is appropriate for their level of care and within a local area.

Shannon
Firefighter/Paramedic
911 dispatcher

I have been a driver/engineer/paramedic for just shy of 20 years.

ftwildernessguy
11-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Alot of time lapse occurs because EMS personnel are not notified right away by witnesses. Despite all the hype about 911, it only works if someone calls. A couple of months ago a young girl was hit by a car in front of my office. On the way out the door, I told my office manager to call 911. After several minutes of treating the girl, I noticed a fairly large crowd forming, many on their cell phones, several complaining about how long it was taking for emergency personnel to arrive. I asked if anyone had called 911, and I looked at a crowd of some of the stupidest expressions I have seen. After the emergency personnel arrived and took over, I talked to one of the police officers there who told me the call from my office was not only the first to come into the 911 dispatcher, BUT THE ONLY ONE!!!!! I wonder, too, if a patient were to expire in the ambulance going to an ER farther than Celebration if the comments might be "why didn't they go to Celebration - it's the closest ER." There are a lot of comments here being made condemning the emergency response system, ER's and hosptal staff by people with an obviously close personal experience. My experience, however, indicates that many of these observations may be in error.

RNmomnFL
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
We were wondering what sirens we were hearing about 5pm on thanksgiving. We have had to take our young son twice to a walk in facility on 535 a branch of Florida hospital I believe. Care was ok but my husband said years ago next time we should just go to the hospital at celebration as it was probably closer. Thank you for the information on your experience. Hope you are feeling better.

I had to take DS to the FL Hosp. Urgent Care on 535 last Friday for an earache. It is 2.5 miles from the Fort and we got detailed directions from the Disney staff which was nice. Turns out we found Walgreens and a bunch of shops too closeby (always good to know about). Anyhow, here at home the nearest hospital is 15 miles away and frankly they don't do a lot of pediatrics so care is questionable. Plus invariably the pharmacy at home doesn't have my child's medicine in stock but the Walgreens on 535 certainly did. The FL Hosp. Urgent Care was very efficient and wonderful with DS. I'm sure it's because they see a lot of sick kids. Now, I'm waiting for the billing statement. Expecting it to be a lot.

des1954
12-01-2008, 06:11 AM
Larry- I'm glad you're on the mend & that a stroke was ruled out.

I've had 2 tia's & you were very correct in your possible stroke theory. In my case, one second I was working just fine & the next, not. No pain, no warning, just lost abilities. I had a thought that if there was no neurologist on staff that evening at Celebration, it could explain the delay. I'm not defending them by any means, but it could explain why things took so long.

Now, like I tell my brother Al...you're not 21 anymore, so SLOW DOWN!!! We need someone to harass on this board, Larry.:thumbsup2

Take it good & easy on your way home & stop often - walk much!! Drink a lot of water too, to make sure your body stays hydrated.

Safe travels.

kpatrick74
12-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I have been a driver/engineer/paramedic for just shy of 20 years.

I knew it!!! I knew you had to be in some way related to this field.

As far as defending my thoughts, we have a clock on the radio in our golf cart and I had just happened to look at it when we came upon the woman making the call. I looked at the time b/c we had our two young kids with us and I wanted to make sure we didn't keep them out too late, before we proceeded to the next loop. Then we saw the ambulance I checked the clock again.

It was just one of those things for me, since I had just read an article about my town's response times. The city I live in has one of the best response times around and considering it is under 7 mins, with a population of over 130k, I just happened to notice it.

tim5055
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I don't know how FL EMS transports works, but you should of had an option of which facility you were transported to within reason. Here in SC our patients do have an option, if the facility is appropriate for their level of care and within a local area.It has been a few years, but the last time I dealt with the Florida systems - EMS was required to take you to the closest appropriate facility. i.e. if the facility was in the system accredited to handle the type of emergency, then you were transported there. Again, things may have changed but that was the way things worked.

bigdisneydaddy
12-01-2008, 02:58 PM
It has been a few years, but the last time I dealt with the Florida systems - EMS was required to take you to the closest appropriate facility. i.e. if the facility was in the system accredited to handle the type of emergency, then you were transported there. Again, things may have changed but that was the way things worked.

I think it depends on the medical control authority and how they decide to handle that issue, some require "closest appropriate" and some allow the patient (and family) to chose assuming the facility is within a reasonable distance and the transport time is not going to be an issue. In the municipality I work in we have a County medical control board that makes those rules. We have 6 hospitals that we use depending on factors such as choice, type of injury and type of illness. 2 of them are in a neighboring county and our Level 1 trauma center is a solid 25 minute run.

LarryJ
01-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Just an update ... had the MRI on the right knee on 5 Jan and today the wife had an appointment and her doctor pulled up the MRI results for me and I have a torn tendon in my right knee cap joint. Really doesn't bother me much now, but still need to get the appointment with the Orthepedic (SP?) specialist and see what I need to do now and in the future.

Larry

Cindy F
01-07-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm glad you're okay and would like to take the opportunity to say the best way to get quality care is to stay home. LOL! I'm kidding...kinda ;)

I thought the paramedics at Animal Kingdom were professional, personable, pretty quick, and not pushy--no disapproving looks as I waited to see if I actually NEEDED my Epi-pen....typically I like to make sure that death is imminent before using my instant shot of misery. :laughing:

I know I'm probably a horrible patient....most folks in the medical field are...but they never acted like I was...good acting on their part I'm sure ~grin~

BradyBz12
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Jeepers... sorry you had such a lousy experience!

Someone asked if there was another hospital nearby...
My aunt and uncle were with us our first week (11/30) and my uncle had to have bloodwork taken several times during that week (long story - testing cumadin levels). My aunt had looked up hospitals near WDW and they were going to go to one in Kissimmee. The concierge at the Double Tree where they stayed told them that was a horrible place (sorry, don't recall the name) and referred them to Dr. Phillips - about 10 minutes away on Turkey Lake Rd.

Since we had a car and they didn't, I drove them there each time. Now he wasn't admitted, so I can't speak to that, but I can say that the staff there was very helpful and accommodating, even when he needed testing done on a Sunday and the lab was closed.

They just added a huge, brand-spankin' new building to the place (amazing) and it seemed the staff was still getting used to what was where, but everyone went out of their way to make sure my uncle got what he needed to be and they phoned/faxed his test results back to his Dr. at home right away.

The hospital itself is very close - from DTD take a left on Apopka Vineland (?) take first right onto Palm Parkway and follow it until it becomes Turkey Lake. Hospital is on the left. It's a full medical campus with several buildings of doctor's offices, ER, etc.

BradyBz12
01-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Just an update ... had the MRI on the right knee...and I have a torn tendon in my right knee cap joint.

:scared: Ouch!!
Hope you're on the mend soon!