PDA

View Full Version : Can you use pools at Disney Resorts if staying elsewhere?

jopaly
11-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been answered before.

We are going to Tuscana Resort next May, but I just wondered if you can use pools at Disney Resorts, even if you aren't staying there.

We want to spend some time at the Boardwalk area and would like to make an afternoon/evening of it by spending some time at the pool too.

In addition, are you able to park at Disney resorts or do you have to be staying at one of them?

All replies appreciated!

:thumbsup2

Oh yeah, if anyone knows anything about the Tuscana Resort, that would be appreciated too!!

:) :) :)

cheryl.UK
11-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Only hotel guests and DVC members using their points to saty on site may use the hotle pools. Even DVC members can't use the Boardwalk hotel pools unless they are staying there.

Have you considered using a water park instead?

JohnnySharp2
11-27-2008, 03:17 PM
The official line on using Disney Resort pools is no, you are not permitted to use the pool facilities unless you are a paying guest at that specific resort - which when you think about it is fair enough - they do also check IDs from time to time also.

As for parking yes you can but only for a limited amount of time.

tink,too
11-27-2008, 05:20 PM
I would definately recommend visiting one of WDW's water parks - they are both great! :worship:

UKDEB
11-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Only hotel guests and DVC members using their points to saty on site may use the hotle pools. Even DVC members can't use the Boardwalk hotel pools unless they are staying there.
These are the current pool hopping guidelines for DVC members:

You and any Guests staying with you at Disney's Old Key West Resort, Disney's BoardWalk Villas, The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, Disney's Beach Club Villas or Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa are permitted to use other Disney Vacation Club and Walt Disney World Resort hotel pools (in addition to the pool at the Resort hotel at which you're staying) if they are not at capacity.

If the pool you are visiting reaches capacity, you may be asked to leave in order to accommodate Guests of that Resort hotel. Please check with a Host/Hostess at the Front Desk of the Resort hotel you wish to visit to find out about pool-access availability. You must present your current "Key to the World" card with your Disney Vacation Club "Member" designation on it to use other Resort hotel pools. Pool hopping is not available at Uzima Pool at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge and Stormalong Bay at Disney's Yacht & Beach Club Resorts or at the leisure pools of these two Resort hotels. There are no exceptions to this policy.

Resort hotel pools may become unavailable from time to time because of capacity limitations. Due to expected high occupancy, Disney Vacation Club Members may not "pool hop" during the following dates*:
May 23 - 26, 2008
June 28 - July 5, 2008
August 29 - September 1, 2008
November 24 - 30, 2008
December 14, 2008 - January 4, 2009
*Other restricted dates may be added based on projected pool capacity.

To answer the OP's question, with the exception of the special pool hopping perks for DVC members as outlined above, only those staying at a given Disney resort are entitled to use that resort's pool. That said, other than Stormalong Bay and Uzima (where resort IDs are checked), if you have no conscience and balls of brass, you wouldn't be challenged.

Parking for non guests is limited to 3 hours, but the BoardWalk is a slightly different kettle of fish as Disney does promote it as an entertainment district in itself. Certainly if you were spending an evening at the ESPN Club, Atlantic Dance Hall or Jellyrolls, the standard 3 hour pass would be insufficient. As long as you present photo ID to the security guard at the gate when you drive up, no-one is going to be carrying out any further checks as to the legitimacy of your reasons for being there or the duration of your stay.

Pegasus928
11-28-2008, 02:39 AM
I think it's only right and fair that only those paying for the amenities get to utililise them. I don't think I would be too impressed if the guests of the villa next door to the one I am staying at turned up one day just because our pool was bigger, or they just fancied a change of scenery for the afternoon.:eek:
As for parking, we have used the parking lot at the Yacht Club a couple of times (when visiting for a Kitchen Sink and when we went on our Illuminations cruise) and, as was posted previously, we had our ID checked and that was about it.
All in all I think that the Disney hotels, restaraunts and surrounding areas are extremly accommodating places. They welcome non-paying guests with open arms and allow us to have a look around the buildings and grounds to see what we are missing, and it would be a shame if some people started to abuse this hospitality.

jopaly
01-16-2009, 02:52 PM
So 'no' then.:offtopic:

torsie24
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
I think it's only right and fair that only those paying for the amenities get to utililise them. I don't think I would be too impressed if the guests of the villa next door to the one I am staying at turned up one day just because our pool was bigger, or they just fancied a change of scenery for the afternoon.:eek:
As for parking, we have used the parking lot at the Yacht Club a couple of times (when visiting for a Kitchen Sink and when we went on our Illuminations cruise) and, as was posted previously, we had our ID checked and that was about it.
All in all I think that the Disney hotels, restaraunts and surrounding areas are extremly accommodating places. They welcome non-paying guests with open arms and allow us to have a look around the buildings and grounds to see what we are missing, and it would be a shame if some people started to abuse this hospitality.
I totally agree Kenny - what are you paying for if not the use of the facilities of your hotel?

I wouldn't be pleased at all to find out non guests were getting something I've saved and paid for.

CustardTart
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Exactly...

dc1964
01-16-2009, 07:24 PM
we were at Universal last week and had a look round the hard rock hotel, we went to the pool and bought a cocktail and a beer ($20), we sat round the pool and sunbathed for an hour, we were not challenged but i guess they were happy to take our money, would this not be the case at Disney hotels, can you not use a pool bar to purchase a drink and if you do is there anything wrong with using the facilities.

Beth__WDW23/6/02
01-17-2009, 05:14 AM

Excatly.
I think it's only fair people pay to stay onsite and to use the facilities.I'd be very annoyed if I saw other's popping by just to use the pool so on.

Martinbez
01-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Couldn't agree more, what's the point of paying the extra to stay in Disney, if anyone can use the facilities. :confused3

Frances999
01-17-2009, 12:41 PM
That said, other than Stormalong Bay and Uzima (where resort IDs are checked), if you have no conscience and balls of brass, you wouldn't be challenged.
The Polynesian and Grand Floridian (to name just two) are also starting to carry out random guest ID checks around the resort swimming pools. I think it won't be too long until other resorts follow suit.

heatherbelle
01-17-2009, 01:07 PM
We stayed at OKW, and used various Disney Pools on our last visit, but I did check with reception that we could, first. The only one we couldn't use was the Beach Club.

At the beach club, all the guests had to show their card to access the pool and were given wristbands to wear.

dc1964
01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
just playing debils advocate here....so is it acceptable for non residents to visit hotels and look at trees and decorations,gingerbread houses etc, or are we saying just the pool area

paulh
01-17-2009, 02:33 PM
just playing debils advocate here....so is it acceptable for non residents to visit hotels and look at trees and decorations,gingerbread houses etc, or are we saying just the pool area

anyone is entitled to vist any disney resort,even if staying ofsite
You are alowed to vist to look around,and to eat and shop
To use the pools you have to be one of the folowing
Staying in that resort (all stars clased as one resort) to use that resorts pools only ie main pool or quiet pool
To pool hop you have to be a dvc member staying at a dvc resort ,except for Stormalong bay and the pools at AK lodge(this might change when vilas open)and at bussy time ie thanksgiving,xmas,easter and some bank holidays
Paulh

anthony2k7
01-17-2009, 03:19 PM
anyone is entitled to vist any disney resort,even if staying ofsite
You are alowed to vist to look around,and to eat and shop
To use the pools you have to be one of the folowing
Staying in that resort (all stars clased as one resort) to use that resorts pools only ie main pool or quiet pool
To pool hop you have to be a dvc member staying at a dvc resort ,except for Stormalong bay and the pools at AK lodge(this might change when vilas open)and at bussy time ie thanksgiving,xmas,easter and some bank holidays
Paulh

what happens with parking for ofsite guests though? I know you're allowed a couple of hours parking if you have an ADR, but what if you dont have an ADR and arent eating there?

wayneg
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM
what happens with parking for ofsite guests though? I know you're allowed a couple of hours parking if you have an ADR, but what if you dont have an ADR and arent eating there?

You just tell them at the gate you are going to look around the resort. We did it again at Xmas, drove around to about 6 or 7 resorts and told them we were going to look at Xmas decorations.
All the times we have done it we have never been given a time limit, all they do is ask for photo ID then open the gate for you.

paulh
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM

as wayne said you just inform guard you wish to look around/shop or eat at resort.You will be let in to do so,can be at any time of year
Paulh

Cinderella
01-17-2009, 07:09 PM
*** - No wonder there's so many problems in the world today - this really is common sense. Think of it this way. After your nice day at the parks, you decide to take a swim at your resort and thousands of non-paying guests turn up. If you want to spend time at the Boardwalk, pay to stay there.

Pegasus928
01-17-2009, 11:22 PM
*** - No wonder there's so many problems in the world today - this really is common sense. Think of it this way. After your nice day at the parks, you decide to take a swim at your resort and thousands of non-paying guests turn up. If you want to spend time at the Boardwalk, pay to stay there.

I'm not really sure we can blame the problems in the world on a few people who want to use a Disney pool without paying for the privilege.
I have already said in this thread that I enjoy looking around the Disney hotels and grounds, and having the occassional character meal when we are there, but have never expected access to the pool areas, or any other areas that should be the preserve of paying guests only.

Ware Bears
01-18-2009, 05:21 PM

I think it's acceptable to have a look at the pool area. We've done this when we've been visiting AKL, the Poly, and Beaches and Cream for a meal. Having a look is very different to actually using their facilities! :rotfl:

Graeme
01-18-2009, 07:13 PM
so is it acceptable for non residents to visit hotels and look at trees and decorations,gingerbread houses etc, or are we saying just the pool area

I don't recall disney hotels allowing people in 'just for a look round', and in fact the year before our first OKW stay we went there to do just that and were politely asked to go away. The same happened last year when we went to see what Horizons by Marriott was like, and we were staying over the road at another Marriott.
Since then, whenever we've gone to a Disney hotel to use the restaurant without a Disney hotel parking pass we've been asked for the reason for the visit and on occasions our ADR number.

It's actually one of the reservations I would have about the AKL and WL, all the sightseeing restaurant guests. Every time we go to either of them for dinner we join the hordes of people wandering round the pools waiting for the bleeper to go off.

wayneg
01-18-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't recall disney hotels allowing people in 'just for a look round', and in fact the year before our first OKW stay we went there to do just that and were politely asked to go away.

I am shocked you were asked to go away.
All Disney hotels are open for anyone to look around. At Xmas we went to Poly, WL, Contemp and others to see all the tree decs, another was Beach club to see Gingerbread Carousel, also GF to see Gingerbread house. All you do is drive upto the gate and tell the Cast memebr you want to look around, they will let anyone in with Photo ID.
Other was AKL but we did also have an ADR there.
They actually create the gingerbread House & carousell to attract people there to look at. The Gingerbread house at GF also has a shop inside it to sell gingerbread items.

SammieG
01-19-2009, 06:26 AM
like Wayne.. we have always said we are here to look around and they happily let us in every time ... :)

dooledoo
01-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I have to agree with the above posts.

At our last visit we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge and went on the monorail to go and look at the Contemporary, Polynesian and the Grand Floridian.

Admittedly we were not arriving by car but nobody queried us as we wandered round looking like a pair of gormless visitors!!!! We even bought drinks using our KTTW and it wasn't an issue.

I can understand that you may be queried if you arrive by car but how could they stop you if you arrived on the Disney Bus or monorail?

Cinderella
01-19-2009, 08:56 AM
@ Kenny - I think a lot of problems are caused by folk who want something for nothing, regardless of how it affects others.

@ Wayne - I guess it would more likely be folk driving there who would use the pools or leave their car at BW or BC to visit Epcot or MGM, so I'm not surprised they turn them away.

If people want to look at the decorations and stuff, it's easy enough to use the Disney transportation system. It would really suck if you were staying at BC and couldn't park your car because non-residents had parked there to go to Epcot.

wayneg
01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
@ Wayne - I guess it would more likely be folk driving there who would use the pools or leave their car at BW or BC to visit Epcot or MGM, so I'm not surprised they turn them away.

If people want to look at the decorations and stuff, it's easy enough to use the Disney transportation system. It would really suck if you were staying at BC and couldn't park your car because non-residents had parked there to go to Epcot.

I totally understand the concerns at parking free to goto the parks, that is why they issue short term parking permits to visitors if they think you are trying to abuse the system, personally I have never been issued a permit, just asked to show ID and waved thru.
What I am saying is I am shocked someone has been turned away at all, The resorts ARE open to anyone and everyone, car or monorail, onsite or offsite guests. The resorts are not just hotels, they are shops, places to eat, pin trade + other activites open to everyone.

UKDEB
01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Almost without exception, hotels are open to non-guests. It's in their interests to encourage use of facilities such as restaurants, bars and shops. Disney is no different in that respect and actively promotes such activity. It follows that some abuse of non-chargeable facilities, particularly pools, will occur (and I'm not just talking Disney; there are some fabulous pools at the upmarket hotels around Orlando). Luckily, most people don't misuse the pools or parking and, on the whole, the scale of the problem is minimal and has no discernible impact on paying guests. At those resorts where it is more widespread, Disney has put in the necessary controls to prevent it. Universal has apparently had to introduce similar measures recently, albeit I think the issue was with locals rather than tourists.

When Animal Kingdom Lodge first opened, there was a policy of not allowing access just for "looking". You had to have some kind of reservation (either room or restaurant). I can understand that - the place would have been mobbed. It didn't take long for the novelty to wear off, though, and the policy was revised. Like others here, we've visited most of the resorts (whilst staying both onsite and off) with the stated purpose of "having a look around" and we've always been welcomed.

ETA: Almost all hotels in the area offer free valet parking for those visiting to eat - that's how much they value the custom of "outsiders". Disney offers the same incentive for those with the Tables in Wonderland card. Without this income stream, the rooms would be a lot more expensive.

Frances999
01-19-2009, 10:11 AM
as wayne said you just inform guard you wish to look around/shop or eat at resort.You will be let in to do so,can be at any time of year
Paulh
This isn't strictly true. At the particularly busy times of the year, i.e. 4th July and Thanksgiving/Christmas, access to the hotel parking lots is usually reserved exclusively for those staying at the hotel or for those with an ADR arranged.

wayneg
01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
This isn't strictly true. At the particularly busy times of the year, i.e. 4th July and Thanksgiving/Christmas, access to the hotel parking lots is usually reserved exclusively for those staying at the hotel or for those with an ADR arranged.

I was suprised they let us park at GF at Xmas, although no problems parking at any resort. GF did have a board out saying limited parking was in force.

Netty
01-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I
It's actually one of the reservations I would have about the AKL and WL, all the sightseeing restaurant guests. Every time we go to either of them for dinner we join the hordes of people wandering round the pools waiting for the bleeper to go off.

and me being one of them wandering around ther pools :lmao:

we went to WL for a meal at whispering canyon and then went to have a wander outside...

Graeme
01-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I am shocked you were asked to go away.
I can't remember the exact details of the conversation but we weren't going to eat or shop, just to look at the place before we put in for a timeshare exchange there. The security guard told us that they valued the privacy of their guests and if we wanted to we could arrange a tour through a DVC rep.
The guard at the Marriott gave more or less the same response to the same request.

and me being one of them wandering around ther pools :lmao:

And us:thumbsup2

Note.. I've edited this because I misread the post I quoted. Sorry!!

paulh
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
:furious: :firefight popcorn:: :rotfl2:
Paulh

mikki.young
01-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Strange, I've been to both Marriott and DVC resorts saying I wanted to look around as I was considering staying there and never had a problem. This last trip was especially easy if you were staying at another Disney hotel as all they want to see is a room card. no photo id. Different from previous trips.

Graeme
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Must be the way I look then :crazy2:

:rotfl2:

wayneg
01-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Must be the way I look then :crazy2:

:rotfl2:

You need to change your look :rotfl2:

If I ever know where we are going for our next trip while we are out there I go look and ask to see a room, did it last Easter, went to look at Country Inn and suites as I had booked it for August, Just went in and asked to see a room and their facilities, first the guy on the desk gave me a keycard to an unmade room but manager came running after us with another for a clean room. Told us to take as long as we wanted and look around. They just kept my Driving License while we had the keycard.
Never a problem onsite or off. I would possibly cancel if I was told I couldn't look.

Graeme
01-19-2009, 04:32 PM
You need to change your look :rotfl2:

Seriously! I'm getting quite worried :sad1:

The bloke at the marriott was quite firm. I was hoping at least someone else had been blacklisted.
And I'm not even going into the time we got thrown out of Curious George's water bit at IOA for not being kids!!!

Ware Bears
01-19-2009, 04:41 PM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

wayneg
01-19-2009, 04:54 PM
And I'm not even going into the time we got thrown out of Curious George's water bit at IOA for not being kids!!!

NOOOOO!!!!!! you are not serious, that is the main reason we buy AP's for Universal. I would be gutted being kicked out of there we spend at least 4 hours in there every time we go, about once a week while we are there.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/wayneg1/IMG_2195.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/wayneg1/IMG_2194.jpg

Netty
01-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Seriously! I'm getting quite worried :sad1:

The bloke at the marriott was quite firm. I was hoping at least someone else had been blacklisted.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Graeme
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!! you are not serious

Deadly. Now I'm REALLY upset.

wayneg
01-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Deadly. Now I'm REALLY upset.

I would be, we go in there instead of a water park, DW goes to watch a movie while we spend about 4 hours there. I usually try soak the staff as they go thru, maybe I should avoid them in future.

royal99
01-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi all, new member, enjoying the site very helpfull.

Was going to start a new thread but this one relates to what i was going to ask. Hav'nt been to orlando for five years or so but before that made around sevon visits, in my mums villa (now sold) and four times staying in disneys port orleans.
this time my mum, sister and nephew are staying again in port orleans and me and my girlfriend are staying just outside in marriot world center, so we can do our own things as well.
I am planning on visiting them and them to us at the hotel as well as going straight to parks with them. So questions i would like answered are:

1.We planning having odd breakfast dinner and maybe a few drinks in the bar with them surely this is ok as we adding dollers to the disney pocket??

2.As we may be going in and out a few times do suggest we be straight with security as if we unlucky enough to get the same guard with amazing memory he/she may get a bit sused on our fifth visit to look around?

3. like the first guy i was thinking having odd dip late at night after a park with the family, when pools are deserted any views?

4 . Also on my prevous four visit i can never remeber showing my disney card to any of the bus drivers, as on this visit i plan to on occasion leave the car at port orleans and catch bus with them, do there check them now?

and finnaly can anyone with experience of the marriot center inform me of rules for non guests?

sorry its a long first post just would helpfull to get the info, and just to point out this wont be a daily thing just a few times on the holiday and there will doing the same to us. thanks

Pegasus928
01-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Personally I think you would have been better off posting an original thread as this may get lost amongst this one.

To answer most of your questions I think - and this is only my opinion - that you would have to have very thick skin to go to a hotel and use their facilities, whether it is the pool or the bus, without paying for them. I wouldn't do this - not through fear of getting caught, thrown off and publicly humiliated - but because it isn't right.
If you have made the choice to stay off-site, hire a car and go it on your own then stick with it. If you want to meet up with your family for a swim and lounge around a pool then go to a water park.

For the record I have never stayed on-site, and can only imagine how frustrating it must be for hotel guests to have to battle with non-guests for the services they have paid a lot of money to enjoy.

Cinderella
01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I'm kind of shocked that the Marriott wouldn't allow Graeme to look round either - maybe he just looks dodgy :)

The only time I've visited another resort in a car, without an ADR was WL at night. We got lost going back to Saratoga after dinner, so we called for a drink and to shop and they let us through no problem.

I guess that if you mention that you're going to spend money while you're there, it probably helps. But it was quite late at night, so I'm wondering if also having a parking permit helped?

UKDEB
01-21-2009, 03:34 AM
Hi, royal99, and a very warm welcome to the DIS. :goodvibes

All you need to tell the guard is that you are visiting/picking up/dropping off your relatives who are staying there. We've done this at various onsite hotels. There's no need to make up a story.

Having a few drinks at the bar is not only possible, it's positively encouraged, so have no fears there.

As far as the pools are concerned, I'll repeat my earlier observation that, if you have no conscience and balls of brass, you probably wouldn't be challenged (other than at those specifically singled out). I'm certainly not condoning it and neither would I contemplate doing it, I'm just stating the facts as I see them. Having said that, I might consider spending spending time at a pool with friends or family if they were staying there.

Disney transportation is free to all, whether staying onsite or off, so there is no requirement to show anything. As discussed ad infinitum in this thread, other than temporary permits, parking at resorts is reserved for guests staying there. I'll undoubtedly get flamed for this (I have thick skin ;) ), but in your circumstances I'd have no qualms in leaving my car at Port Orleans on the odd occasion to travel with my family.

wayneg
01-21-2009, 03:39 AM
Welcome Royal99
As with Kenny, this is my opinion, I guess the answers will be split down the middle. If you have friends/family staying there and the pools are quiet then I see nothing wrong with it, but end of day its your choice if you get asked to leave you have to deal with it, not us, I have never been in that situation.

Kenny, as for the buses, they are not just for resort guests, the whole Disney transportation network(buses, monorail & boats) are for use free by all guests onsite or offsite

Pegasus928
01-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Kenny, as for the buses, they are not just for resort guests, the whole Disney transportation network(buses, monorail & boats) are for use free by all guests onsite or offsite

Thanks Wayne.

Having never stayed on site I wasn't aware of this. Not sure we will ever have a need to, but it is nice to know that if we did we could hop on one to get about.

paulh
01-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Welcome Royal99

not quite corect wayne,its only free for ofsite guests,if using ticket media for admision for that day,you carn`t just just park at downtown disney and use the bus transportation to go to the hotels,
Though some do
Nor can you park at downtown disney walk to SSR and walk to SSR and get a buss to parks to cucumvent parking fee
Though some do
Paulh

wayneg
01-21-2009, 03:14 PM
not quite corect wayne,its only free for ofsite guests,if using ticket media for admision for that day,you carn`t just just park at downtown disney and use the bus transportation to go to the hotels,
Though some do
Paulh

Yes sorry Paul, I was going to put that in the post, never got around to including it. But in reality who has ever been asked to show a ticket on transport? Maybe they have on boats, never used them.

paulh
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Yes sorry Paul, I was going to put that in the post, never got around to including it. But in reality who has ever been asked to show a ticket on transport? Maybe they have on boats, never used them.

i rember those days
Paulh

Dimplenose
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
We were once (in 2005) asked to show our tickets at the TTC to get to the monorail. People were even being asked to sign theirs if they hadn't done so. But this was the one and only time in 3 trips.

wayneg
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
We were once (in 2005) asked to show our tickets at the TTC to get to the monorail. People were even being asked to sign theirs if they hadn't done so. But this was the one and only time in 3 trips.

You are right, we were asked to show tickets and they were getting people to sign, don't remember which trip but I guess it was around 2005.
Wonder if they would have actually stopped you getting on monorail with no ticket. All you have to say is someone has my ticket at the gate. :confused3