PDA

View Full Version : Here now! Fort is great!

lklasing
11-26-2008, 07:58 PM
We arrived at the Fort this morning at 10:00. Checked in to our cabin with no real trouble. The Fort looks great, especially some of the Christmas decorations. The entrance (or exit?) to Loop 700 is especially impressive.

Got pizza to go from TE tonight, with a stop at Crockett's Tavern of course. It was better than I had feared. We're having Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at TE.

I'll be posting a trip report when I can after we get home, but I thought I'd report in live from FW.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Leslie

OK GRUMPY
11-26-2008, 08:10 PM
:cool1: Cool can't wait to hear more!:goodvibes

2goofycampers
11-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Glad The Fort exceeded your expectations.

popcorn::

njcamper95
11-27-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm SO JEALOUS wish i could be there right now:sad1:

Donna
11-27-2008, 10:24 AM
wow, keep checking in with us to let us know how your trip is going! i love hearing about things live from the fort. what loop are YOU in? how are the other site decorations? pictures if you can!

Shan-man
11-27-2008, 10:41 AM
popcorn:: Pictures, yes, please!

lklasing
11-27-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm back in the cabin for a few minutes before dinner at TE, so I thought I'd check in. Everything is great still, but the parks sure are crowded. The Fort is perfect. We're in loop 2700. I'm the only one with rope lights on our porch, so if you see us, say hey. I went for a run today which was lots of fun - a good way to see a lot of Christmas decorations. There are a few sites in particular that you can see from the main drag that are decorated to the hilt. I'll take pictures on our way to dinner in a little bit and try to post them tonight. I even saw a deer on the exercise trail that goes to WL. She and I just watched each other for a minute. Very fun.

There are a lot of extra people at the Fort today for some Thanksgiving dinner. There are designated busses that go just from the outpost to the dinner and back.

We did HS today - got there about 20 minutes before rope drop. I got FP for TSMM for everyone while they got in the incredibly quick to grow line. I joined them while the line was still outside the building and we waited about 45 minutes to ride. By the time we got out, FPs were for late in the afternoon. I haven't heard whether the MK filled to capacity today or not, but HS was plenty crowded for me. We left around 1:30 when I had just had enough of standing in lines and came back to the Fort. DH napped while I ran and the kids played in my BIL's cabin. Then to DTD for candy at Goofy's. It wasn't crowded at all there - very nice.

So, I'm off to dinner at TE! I'll try to check in later tonight.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope you all have had a wonderful day with your families!

Leslie

Born 2 Fish
11-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Thanks for keeping us up with the reports,,we enjoy them. Despite the crowds,, we hope ya'll are having a grand time :banana: (beats work'n ).
Hope the TE dining is good for ya'll. :thumbsup2

the5coops
11-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Hope you had a great dinner and a Happy Thanksgiving!

Shelley

lklasing
11-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Hey everyone - I'm back from supper. TE was great - exactly what I expected it to be - not fine dining, but definitely serviceable for our party of 9 on Thanksgiving. We had about a 25 minute wait for our 6:40 ADRs, which wasn't too bad given the proximity of the playground and trading post, and more importantly for the grownups, the bar.

I managed to take a few pictures for y'all:

Here is just a tiny sampling of the decorations at the entrance top loop 700, nearest to the marina:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020677.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020680.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020676.jpg

And, then one particularly awesome site in 1100:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020683.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020684.jpg

Both these sites had people other than me stopping in their golf carts to take pictures. They were very popular, and very much deserved to be.

And then, just to prove that cabin people do care about decorating, but that it's pretty hard to fly much more than lights down there, here's me in front of my very fancy porch:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020662.jpg

Hope to have more for y'all tomorrow!

Leslie

2goofycampers
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the pix, exactly what I needed. :thumbsup2

bigdisneydaddy
11-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the pix, exactly what I needed. :thumbsup2

They are making me homesick :thumbsup2

Born 2 Fish
11-28-2008, 05:48 AM
:thumbsup2 pics :thumbsup2

stampin_fool
11-28-2008, 08:45 AM
after looking at your pictures. We usually go to the Ft. in December but can't do it this year but will be going in January instead. I am really missing those decorations. Hope you have a wonderful vacation!!! (We always decorated our cabin as well.)

Ronda

Shan-man
11-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Whoohooo! Beautiful pics and just the joy-boost I needed to get me energized to get my decor all packed! One week from today we leave! yes, Yes, YES! Keep 'em comin'!

On a side note, I may be spending more time at the fort than planned. I was up at 4:30am for Black Friday and guess I was sleep-walking as I came out of CircuitCity and took a bad step off of the curb and twisted my ankle, badly! Nice loud POP! At least I'm hoping it is just twisted. The Santa look is not nearly as convincing from an ECV! Oh, oh, oh!

OK GRUMPY
11-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Oh Wow! Nothing like the Fort at Christmas Time! It just really gets you in the spirit of the Holidays! Hope you all are having fun and More Pictures Please!;)
Thanks for the Pictures!
Cindy

st225
11-28-2008, 12:01 PM
The place seems to be filled with a great spirit.
:goodvibes

thomasclan85
11-28-2008, 04:54 PM
We're be there Wedneday! Thanks for all the lovely pictures! Can't wait to get there!!

lklasing
11-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Hey everyone! Thanks for checking in on us! The trip is still going great. Having two cabins next door to each other is perfect! It especially works in the early mornings, when some are still sleeping but the rest of us are eating breakfast and having fun getting ready to hit the parks, and in the afternoons when DH wants to have a nap, I want to go for a run, and the kids want to play and watch TV.

The Fort is still packed. I've seen very few campsites which are not occupied. Plus, someone actually moved into a cabin in our loop and totally outdid me on the decorations. It's not even close:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020723.jpg

Compare that to my previous picture of me with my lame rope lights. :sad2: But, I was very happy to see such fun decorations on our loop.

Between Animal Kingdom and dinner, we did some relaxing on the porch:

DH:
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020722.jpg

It was a gorgeous day today - the high must have been close to 80 with bright sun. Hanging on the porch was one of my favorite parts of the day.

Stacktester is apparently here, as I saw his golfcart with his Fort Fiends sign in exactly the same place as mine is on our GC:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020724.jpg

It's getting late, and we have ADRs at 8:10 at CMs tomorrow, so I'll leave you with a few more pics from this evening - we had dinner at CG and it was wonderful as always. But, the sunset we caught on our way there was every bit as impressive.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020725.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020726.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/disney%20thanksgiving%202008/P1020728.jpg

I hope you all had a great day! I'll check in tomorrow with more pictures (assuming technology continues to cooperate!)

Leslie

stacktester
11-28-2008, 10:37 PM
We're over in 1104. I've never stayed in this loop but it's not bad. I always prefer 900 but nobody was checking out over there so we got this. Got to meet TCD today. He and his wife were walking the dog. We actually recognized his site by seeing his daughters. After all the pics we saw of them in the Disney Games TR couldn't help but know who they were.

I've seen Lonestars cart around but no Michael. He parked next to us tonight at the boat area.

MK was so packed that it's not even funny. When we started this little tradition in 04 it wasn't this busy. Next year may be just hanging here and choosing 1 park during the trip.

We ate at Crystal Palace tonight. Great food but it's too much. We're doing the dining plan which for some may be ok but even as large as I am, I can't eat like that. We're gonna make something tomorrow night and maybe do the Luau or HDDR that uses 2 table tickets on Sunday so we don't lose one. I couldn't imagine doing the deluxe dp. I think that's table service every meal.

Thanks for posting my cart pic Leslie. My friend who made it can actually see it on the cart lol since I'm too lazy to post it.

Born 2 Fish
11-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Leslie, you and your camera take nice pics. :goodvibes More ?popcorn::

Donnie, you and I both have good intentions when it comes to the camera,,But........:rotfl2:

lklasing
11-29-2008, 05:30 AM
I'll keep an eye open for everyone whose here - I'd love to meet some Dissers!

We're off to CM in a little bit, then to Epcot. Today is a high of 80 with sunny skies. Amazing weather compared to home. I'll post more pictures hopefully tonight.

Shan-man
11-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Enjoy Chef Mickey's! Never done it. I couldn't get an ADR there to save my life! We may swing by and slip the CM a $20 and see if a table opens up! Loving the pics, keep 'em coming and thanks!

lklasing
11-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Chef Mickeys was great, as was Epcot. But neither compared with the gorgeous day we had today. I'll try to post some pics when I get back tonight. We're off to Osborne lights, and then probably to dinner at Boma.

I met Donnie (Stacktester) this afternoon - great guy with a very sweet daughter. I also met one other couple from the Dis, but please forgive me - I can't remember their names. Hopefully Donnie can help me out.

Donnie, I was serious about getting your daughter together with my girls and niece. We're in 2722. If you see our golf cart in the driveway, we're here - feel free to knock. Tomorrow is mainly a Fort day as we are going to MVMCP tomorrow night so if you want to try to get the girls together, you can either post, or send me a PM and I'll give you my cell # - we could get together at a playground or something.

More tonight!

Leslie

bigdisneydaddy
11-29-2008, 04:57 PM
Chef Mickeys was great, as was Epcot. But neither compared with the gorgeous day we had today. I'll try to post some pics when I get back tonight. We're off to Osborne lights, and then probably to dinner at Boma.

I met Donnie (Stacktester) this afternoon - great guy with a very sweet daughter. I also met one other couple from the Dis, but please forgive me - I can't remember their names. Hopefully Donnie can help me out.

Donnie, I was serious about getting your daughter together with my girls and niece. We're in 2722. If you see our golf cart in the driveway, we're here - feel free to knock. Tomorrow is mainly a Fort day as we are going to MVMCP tomorrow night so if you want to try to get the girls together, you can either post, or send me a PM and I'll give you my cell # - we could get together at a playground or something.

More tonight!

Leslie

Uh oh..... now you have done it. Open that door once and Donnie is your friend forever....:lmao:

lklasing
11-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Hey again. We're back from HS - skipped Boma as we were just dead by the time we were done with the Osborne lights. As I said earlier, it was another great day at WDW and at the Fort. Here are a few pics to help bring you all who aren't here a little bit of "home" for you:

A bus stop with Christmas trim (sorry so blurry - DH wouldn't slow down the golf cart enough):

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/P1020742.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/P1020745.jpg

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/P1020746.jpg

And, even though it's not at the Fort, I have to post this. It doesn't begin to show the magnitude of the Osborne lights, but it's the best I could do. If you ever get a chance to go, do!

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q255/lklasing/P1020823.jpg

More tomorrow!

Leslie

stacktester
11-29-2008, 08:28 PM
We went to the Studios tonight too and the lights were beautiful. They're giving out 3D glasses to annual passholders. Why just AP's I have no idea because every patron deserves to see them like that.

We did Cape May for dinner and it was really good but as usual my fat butt ate way too much. I'll need to be places on a deserted isle next week with no food.

Leslie that was Lonestar and his DW who rode up when we were talking. Her name on the Dis is TxTink.

TheFlame
11-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Hi Leslie!

I think we may have passed at the Meadow's TP yesterday. Do one of your daughter's have a cast on her leg?

We got home around 8pm tonight and are beat! Traffic was terrible and it rained most of the way home.

Donnie- It was so nice to meet you and your beautiful daughter. We really enjoyed talking with you and hope to see you again on our next trip. Thanks for the laughs and I hope it works out with Mitch(fender guy!!)!!!:headache: :rolleyes1

Glad to be home and already missing the Fort, BUT NOT THE CROWDS!!!:scared1:

lklasing
11-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Hey Flame - No, it wasn't me as neither of my girls have a cast right now thankfully! I'm sorry to not get to meet you though.

Donnie - I tried to call you about getting the girls together. If you haven't already, check your voicemail on your cell and give me a call.

We're back at the cabin after doing breakfast at TE and then Epcot for the morning. Had lots of fun till the bottom dropped out of the sky. Of course I had forgotten our ponchos, so we all got drenched - I mean really drenched - both going to the bus and in the gc coming back to the cabin. We're here resting now, hoping the rain moves on through before MVMCP tonight!

Even with the rain, I'd still rather be here at the Fort than back at home. I ran again this morning to the WL and this time saw a doe and two younger deer plus another doe and baby on the trail to WL. Amazing. They clearly are very used to being around people - weren't at all scared of me. On my way back to the cabin, I turned right on a road that I knew would loop me back to the cabin area. What I didn't know is that I would pass right by the tee-pee area. I had seen pictures before but it was really neat to see in person. If the weather and timing cooperates, I'll try to get a picture later.

Y'all cross your fingers for the rain to move out by tonight!

Leslie

Mmketeer
11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
We're over in 1104. I've never stayed in this loop but it's not bad. I always prefer 900 but nobody was checking out over there so we got this. Got to meet TCD today. He and his wife were walking the dog. We actually recognized his site by seeing his daughters. After all the pics we saw of them in the Disney Games TR couldn't help but know who they were.

I've seen Lonestars cart around but no Michael. He parked next to us tonight at the boat area.

MK was so packed that it's not even funny. When we started this little tradition in 04 it wasn't this busy. Next year may be just hanging here and choosing 1 park during the trip.

We ate at Crystal Palace tonight. Great food but it's too much. We're doing the dining plan which for some may be ok but even as large as I am, I can't eat like that. We're gonna make something tomorrow night and maybe do the Luau or HDDR that uses 2 table tickets on Sunday so we don't lose one. I couldn't imagine doing the deluxe dp. I think that's table service every meal.

Thanks for posting my cart pic Leslie. My friend who made it can actually see it on the cart lol since I'm too lazy to post it.

Sorry I missed you Stacktester. I knew you'd be arriving on Fri at FW from our conversation at the Labor Day GG and I did ride by your site Friday night, but I did not see your golf cart so I knew you had to be out somewhere. I then tried finding you again on Saturday, but I didn't see your site. Though my neighbor Wilderness Wookie said you came by and chatted with him. What's up with that??? LOL!
Hey where were your Christmas Decorations??

lklasing
11-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Hey everyone - this is going to be short as I'm about dead after having a great time at MVMCP. First, though, we managed to hook up with Donnie and his very sweet daughter for dinner at TE (which, by the way, was much better than the dinner we had there on Thanksgiving night). It was great to get to spend some time with them. Unfortunately, we had to race off after dinner to go to the party, which was lots of fun despite the light rain that we dealt with off and on throughout the night.

One funny thing - while waiting on the boat to the MK for the party, I heard someone saying something that sounded a lot like "Disser". Of course, my head whipped around and it was Dirtslinger - Shannon I believe. At first I thought he must have seen my LGMH on my bag, but then I figured out he recognized my DH from the post I did earlier of him sitting on the porch of our cabin. So, we got to say hey briefly before he and his wife headed out for dinner at WL.

Well, before my eyelids close for good, I'll say goodnight. I'm sure I'll post at least one more time, hopefully with more pictures, about our time here at the Fort, and then I'll also let y'all know when I get my TR started.

Leslie

mikmouse
12-02-2008, 09:36 AM
We went to the Studios tonight too and the lights were beautiful. They're giving out 3D glasses to annual passholders. Why just AP's I have no idea because every patron deserves to see them like that.

We did Cape May for dinner and it was really good but as usual my fat butt ate way too much. I'll need to be places on a deserted isle next week with no food.

Leslie that was Lonestar and his DW who rode up when we were talking. Her name on the Dis is TxTink.

Very nice to mee you on Monday. Sorry we didn't get to say hey sooner. Wish we could have connected with others as well. We'll be back on Feb. at the Boardwalk though and at the Fort again Dec. 5, 2008 for 10 days.

lklasing
12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Well everybody, here's the sad truth: We're home. :sad1: The trip back was uneventful, which is always a relief, but it was so different waking up in my bed this morning to about 25 degrees, rather than back at our cabin in 65 degrees. But, it was an amazing trip and I'm having fun working on my pictures and trip report. As soon as I get the photopass CD, I'll be posting a regular report, and I'll try to update here when it's ready.

One thing that was so nice about this trip was getting to meet so many Dissers! Everyone was very nice and it was very fun getting to meet you all. For those of you who are still there or are going back anytime soon, I'm so jealous!

By the way, the tee-pees are now gone! I was going to take a picture yesterday, just one day after I found them, and they were gone. Also, for those of you who follow loop renovations, it looked like everyone was cleared out of loop 1200 yesterday and the entrance was blocked off, so I'm guessing work has started there now.

Well, that's it! Hope everyone has a great week!

Leslie

PolynesianPixie
12-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Sorry you've got the home again blues! The pictures and a TR will help for sure!! Can't wait to see them!

bama_ed
12-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Leslie,

Sounds like you had a great trip. I've met Donnie at the Fort before and he's nice in person (not like he is on the boards - :goodvibes ).

We made a ressie over the weekend for next year's thanksgiving. I mean, who can pass up a Tgving week at WDW at an avg of $54/night? I imagine getting a roaster oven and cooking a big turkey at my site, mashed potatoes, <fade out here>, stuffing, punkin pie, and a little football on tv. :happytv:

Sounds like heaven to me!

Maybe I'll bump into you running around Mountain Brook.

Bama ED

lklasing
12-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Leslie,

Sounds like you had a great trip. I've met Donnie at the Fort before and he's nice in person (not like he is on the boards - :goodvibes ).

We made a ressie over the weekend for next year's thanksgiving. I mean, who can pass up a Tgving week at WDW at an avg of $54/night? I imagine getting a roaster oven and cooking a big turkey at my site, mashed potatoes, <fade out here>, stuffing, punkin pie, and a little football on tv. :happytv:

Sounds like heaven to me!

Maybe I'll bump into you running around Mountain Brook.

Bama ED

Congrats on your upcoming trip! Only about 360 days to go, which sounds great to me since I don't have one currently planned. :eek:

I'll be looking for you running around town. Make sure to run while at FW - it's my favorite running spot!

lklasing
12-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey everyone - I've got the first installment of the TR up now. Click on the last link in my signature. If you've been reading this thread, you'll recognize some of the pictures.

bigdisneydaddy
12-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Hey everyone - I've got the first installment of the TR up now. Click on the last link in my signature. If you've been reading this thread, you'll recognize some of the pictures.

You are seriously raising the bar for trip reports....

Born 2 Fish
12-04-2008, 06:38 AM
I agree with Scott,,:thumbsup2 Great First part report !

It was nice to meet your family. Aren't surprizes great (like hold'n back on tell'n the young'ns !)

Part two....popcorn::

lklasing
12-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll have the next installment up within a day or so.

It was great to meet so many Dissers at the Fort!

Leslie

lucy_love
12-04-2008, 08:39 AM
wow that's a trip report! I can't wait to read the rest popcorn::

PolynesianPixie
12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Looking forward to the rest!