PDA

View Full Version : Do you leave tips?

Lights_Out
11-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Okay so this'll be the first time I go to Disneyland where I'm paying for everything and I was wondering if you had to leave tips at the table service restaurants?
Is this a stupid question? :confused:

pixiewings71
11-18-2008, 09:11 PM
At table service restaurants yes, we leave tips. It's just like eating at any sit down restaurant.

WA Kay
11-18-2008, 09:13 PM
No, it is not a stupid question.

Gisele
11-18-2008, 09:14 PM
If one likes the service that the wait person provides, then I recommend leaving a tip, at least 20%, 15% is fine too. I normally leave 20% or higher. For example when I dine at The Blue Bayou, I always leave a tip. When I just wanted pommes frites (Only served at Cafť Orleans, a P.S.T.S.) I left a tip (I ordered one Pirate Punch too :) ) I had done so, because I especially liked the quality of service that the young server had given. I wish that I had written her name down! I read her name tag, but sometimes, I really need to write names down. Anyway, I gave her far above 20%, but then, that is me. One can leave whatever amount they feel good about,and that fits their budget (Again, a tip is based upon the quality of the wait persons service)

blackssrider00
11-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I agree with tipping anytime we go to a restaurants inside the park we always leave a tip and I go by how good of service I get. As for the maid service inside the hotels I donít tip but thatís just me.

:wizard:

Disneylvrforever
11-18-2008, 11:41 PM
I agree with tipping anytime we go to a restaurants inside the park we always leave a tip and I go by how good of service I get. As for the maid service inside the hotels I donít tip but thatís just me.

:wizard:

I'd leave something for maid service. They have a tough job! But that has nothing to do w/ the op. :p

TheAXIOM
11-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Oh yeah, definitely bring something a little extra for your servers for table service :)

When I go with my aunt, she always leaves a tip for maid service too. I've never thought about it before, but I think it's a good idea!

ylatan
11-18-2008, 11:54 PM
that is the reason most hotel rooms have envelopes...you are supposed to tip the maids.

i never knew that and then when i found out i felt really bad for all the maids i did not tip! hopefully they forgive me. :)

TheAXIOM
11-19-2008, 12:10 AM
There's ENVELOPES?

Oh my... I'm right in that boat of guilt with ya, ylatan :/

TiggerNZ
11-19-2008, 12:39 AM
so I should tip then.....here in NZ we only usually tip for really really good service, over and above - more the norm here is not to tip.

Thanks for the heads-up though, I will remember that!

and Maids too - never even crossed my mind to do that - opps!!!

Krissy Marissy
11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I always leave a tip for the maid, they after all are cleaning up my mess each day! Also tip the bell boy. As for restaurants I always tip because I was a server once and I know what it is like...if the service is really really awful and I can see no logical explanation then I only leave 10% otherwise it is always 20% at least.

LavenderPeach
11-19-2008, 08:08 AM
so I should tip then.....here in NZ we only usually tip for really really good service, over and above - more the norm here is not to tip.

Yes, here in the US tipping is the norm and it is expected (i remember being surprised that i didn't have to tip when I went to Australia).

prettyprincessbelle
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
There's ENVELOPES?

Oh my... I'm right in that boat of guilt with ya, ylatan :/

I made envelopes for both table service tipping and maid service. And I uh, forgot them. I'm going to bring them this time! :rotfl:

But yes, OP, we do tip at table service restaurants!

Sherry E
11-19-2008, 10:22 AM
As everyone has clarified, tips are definitiely expected at all table service restaurants, but it should be noted that at Goofy's Kitchen (and maybe the other character buffets, too - not sure??), they add the gratuity/tip onto your bill for you (even if it is a buffet!). You pay for everything up front, before you are seated. So in that case, you don't need to tip the server (who basically brings your beverages, since the food you get yourself!) anything unless you REALLY feel generous! But it is not expected in those instances!!!

The envelopes I generally find at the DLR hotels are inside the drawer of whatever table happens to be in the room. However, the envelopes are usually with the hotel stationery and postcards, so I imagine many folks assume the envelopes are for mailing purposes, like if you are staying there for a while and want to send a note to someone. I haven't seen any other envelopes around. But if you are not going to use them for mailing, then, yes, that is the perfect way to leave a little something for the housekeeping staff! And, as a PP stated, we always tip the bell staff if they take our bags for us to storage or come and pick them up from us in our room.

pixiewings71
11-19-2008, 11:51 AM
I tip 10-25% depending on the service of the wait staff. The better the staff/experience the better the tip. But, I always tip because here many of the wait staff is paid minimum wage only.

As for maid service, we don't make a big mess in our rooms, we tend to keep them very picked up so it's not hard to clean up after us. If we have made a big huge mess or asked for extras we do tip the maids extra, otherwise we just leave a little bit for them when we leave. :)

Lights_Out
11-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Interesting...

How much do you tip the maids?

Thanks everyone :)

tzuhouse
11-19-2008, 12:13 PM
At WDW, we tipped $5.00 per day since there were 4 of us. Almost every evening we returned to towel animals on the beds. She went above and beyond, making slides and such for the stuffed animals in the room to play with. We enjoyed getting back to the room to see what had been done almost as much as the parks, themselves.

I think someone had told me $1.00 per person per day. You won't have the same person each day, at least not at WDW, so instead of leaving one big one at the end of the stay, we did it each morning. I made mousekeeping envelopes up ahead of time with our name and the date. It made it easy for me to just whip out the next day's envelope and put it on the table where she would see it when she entered. I also put the $5.00 into each one and sealed them long before the trip. That way I wasn't scrounging for tip money each morning.

Mary

Gisele
11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Just wanted to add to my first post, that for me, it is not just the quality of the service provided, but also how much I really like the servers level of friendliness, helpfulness, character and personality. I have (Not at Dl) encountered very poor servers, but because in the State Of California, in that industry, typically minimum wage is earned, which is $8.00 per hour. I still will leave a small tip, most definitely not 20%, more like 10% or less.
My experience last year, at The Blue Bayou was especially nice with our server, Diana. I do not remember unfortunately the name of my server this past August. She was nice, and efficient, however, she was no Diana. Anyway, I left her a 20% tip. I felt that it was warranted well enough. Diana's service, and friendliness, et al. though was most definitely worth above 20%.

gr8leg8
11-19-2008, 01:04 PM
just an fyi

you can add the housekeeping tip at the front desk also.

If someone has gone above and beyond
Mention it to the Manager.

"We really appreciated <insert name>'s good service."
These comments will be collected in an employee personal file and help with Employee recognition programs.

Of course all hotels are different,
but I think I read that at WDW the housekeeping staff
"pool" their tips. Meaning they split them equally. Your good intent does always reward the person who earned it.
But it does reward the workers you don't see. Laundry, etc.

2 more days...
:dance3:

bonita_babe232
11-19-2008, 01:22 PM

I wish i lived there!!! We ALWAYS tip, but i turthfully don't like that we "HAVE" to tip or its rude..... i mean if someone does something special for us then yea great u should get something special but i don't like that we tip people just for doing there jobs... you know what i mean... i make min. wage at a gas station but i don't get tips for turning the pump on.... :confused: ..... Like i said we tip cause its the way things are but i don't really understand it..... alot of countrys don't tip my fiancee had/has a hard time understanding why we tip here cause in his country it doesn't happen either, inless you get really good service or something...

JenDisneylandlver
11-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes, we always do. Unless it's already been included in the price. Like at Goofy's kitchen. Then we don't.

We've never tipped maids though.

pixiewings71
11-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I wish i lived there!!! We ALWAYS tip, but i turthfully don't like that we "HAVE" to tip or its rude..... i mean if someone does something special for us then yea great u should get something special but i don't like that we tip people just for doing there jobs... you know what i mean... i make min. wage at a gas station but i don't get tips for turning the pump on.... :confused: ..... Like i said we tip cause its the way things are but i don't really understand it..... alot of countrys don't tip my fiancee had/has a hard time understanding why we tip here cause in his country it doesn't happen either, inless you get really good service or something...

Well IMO no one HAS to tip anytime. A tip is
To
Insure
Prompt
Service

Seriously, if I don't get good service I'm inclined not to tip, it doesn't happen often tho and when it does we address it with management so it normally gets "fixed" while we are there. 10% is my minimum, I will always leave that unless my service is terrible then I will leave nothing. DBF has higher standards so many times he gets upset with me because I leave a tip after he's decided not to. My sister was a server for years tho so I think that's why I am more inclined to tip no matter what.

TiggerNZ
11-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Here in NZ most waitresses/maids also make minimum wage, and I don't think I've ever ever ever tipped housekeeping - sadly I also only tend to tip in good restaurants with excellent service (where I guess the servers make more money anyway) - rather than standard places - but thats just the norm here.

I personally (and not wishing to start a fight) think that tips should only be given for good service! I feel that the money I pay for food/wine should more than cover the costs of the restaurant including staff - if they don't make enough to pay their staff better thats not really my problem, I'd probably rather pay $2 more for food than be expected to tip all the time!

Anyway - thanks for the heads-up - don't want to make anyone mad at me while on holiday :)

kellynz
11-19-2008, 05:17 PM
TiggerNZ, the tipping can get confusing, I'm glad my dh is american, so I just leave it all to him. I hope you have a great trip!

I didn't realise the minimum wage was only $8 an hour, YIKES! No wonder you need to tip everybody. Here it's a little over $12.

TheAXIOM
11-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I know that whenever I go to restaurants, generally I always tip well, at least 20%, unless the service is so amazingly terrible I can't even tolerate it or I can sense that the server is apathetic to my needs.

After being a server myself, I see how tough it is to please every single table and every guest, and it's definitely a tough job. Here in VA, minimum wage is still around $6.55, and eventually it will pop to $7.25 by this coming year. However, as servers, they only make $2.13! So for servers in VA, we rely on tips to make the bulk of our paycheck.

Because of my experiences, I always tip pretty well :)

Gisele
11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
It is in Ca. that the minimum wage is now $8.00 per hour. That is not the federal minimum wage. That is still only $6.55 per hour. $7.25 per hour effective July 24, 2009. In either case, an adult cannot live properly on these wages. But then, that is another story.

pixiewings71
11-19-2008, 08:24 PM
When my sis was a waitress she made less hourly because they figured her tips as part of her wages. It was crazy, what if business was slow, then tips are bad and she didn't make as much. That just seemed so wrong to me.

Gisele
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
That is why there are laws now. If an employer wishes to disregard the law for the state, then they need to be reported to the labor board.

TheAXIOM
11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
When my sis was a waitress she made less hourly because they figured her tips as part of her wages. It was crazy, what if business was slow, then tips are bad and she didn't make as much. That just seemed so wrong to me.

That's EXACTLY how I felt as a server!
When business was really slow at my old restaurant, closing up the day making only $2.13/hr didn't sound like such a good deal to me :/

Davids-Coco
11-19-2008, 09:39 PM
TiggerNZ, the tipping can get confusing, I'm glad my dh is american, so I just leave it all to him. I hope you have a great trip!

I didn't realise the minimum wage was only $8 an hour, YIKES! No wonder you need to tip everybody. Here it's a little over $12.
This varies too... Minimum wage does not apply in some places to tipped positions. My friend in Arkansas was making $2.50/hr plus tips.

Wingles
11-20-2008, 02:02 AM
The whole tipping thing is confusing for those of us not used to it ( another Kiwi here lol)
I had no idea that it was the norm to tip housekeeping staff oops.

Krissy Marissy
11-20-2008, 02:12 AM
At WDW, we tipped $5.00 per day since there were 4 of us. Almost every evening we returned to towel animals on the beds. She went above and beyond, making slides and such for the stuffed animals in the room to play with. We enjoyed getting back to the room to see what had been done almost as much as the parks, themselves.

I think someone had told me $1.00 per person per day. You won't have the same person each day, at least not at WDW, so instead of leaving one big one at the end of the stay, we did it each morning. I made mousekeeping envelopes up ahead of time with our name and the date. It made it easy for me to just whip out the next day's envelope and put it on the table where she would see it when she entered. I also put the $5.00 into each one and sealed them long before the trip. That way I wasn't scrounging for tip money each morning.

Mary

I find that to be true as well, they seem to go all out for you. The things they make out of towels and pipe cleaner never ceases to amaze me! And I agree about doing it each morning since the maids will be different :) Good tip about making the envelopes ahead of time!! :thumbsup2

kiwitravel
11-20-2008, 02:33 AM
Here in NZ most waitresses/maids also make minimum wage, and I don't think I've ever ever ever tipped housekeeping - sadly I also only tend to tip in good restaurants with excellent service (where I guess the servers make more money anyway) - rather than standard places - but thats just the norm here.

I personally (and not wishing to start a fight) think that tips should only be given for good service! I feel that the money I pay for food/wine should more than cover the costs of the restaurant including staff - if they don't make enough to pay their staff better thats not really my problem, I'd probably rather pay $2 more for food than be expected to tip all the time!

Anyway - thanks for the heads-up - don't want to make anyone mad at me while on holiday :)

Tipping is hard when you just aren't used to having to do it. I found it really confusing but did the best I could and most seemed happy. We didn't tip housekeeping as we didn't know that we should and didn't know how and how does it work tipping once for the whole stay when you have had different people doing your room...

We gave the busdriver $1 per bag and rounded up the restaurant bill by roughly 15%. Only problem we had was on the last day, flying out our plane was delayed and so Qantas gave us vouchers to have a meal at the airport. Our waitress upon showing her the vouchers before we ordered said loudly and rudely that they were fine but they did not include her tip.

The service was rude and abrupt, the food very average, I resented the earlier remark and I had no more US currency left so I didn't leave a tip. As we walked out she loudly and sarcastically thanked me for not leaving a tip, I equally loudly and sarcastically said thats OK thanks for the bad service. There was a ripple of applause so I think their were a lot of kiwis and aussies who were on the same plane in there! I don't recommend it though, my daughter was so embarassed.:eek:

Krissy Marissy
11-20-2008, 02:36 AM
Qantas gave us vouchers to have a meal at the airport. Our waitress upon showing her the vouchers before we ordered said loudly and rudely that they were fine but they did not include her tip.

The service was rude and abrupt, the food very average, I resented the earlier remark and I had no more US currency left so I didn't leave a tip. As we walked out she loudly and sarcastically thanked me for not leaving a tip, I equally loudly and sarcastically said thats OK thanks for the bad service. There was a ripple of applause so I think their were a lot of kiwis and aussies who were on the same plane in there! I don't recommend it though, my daughter was so embarassed.:eek:

Dont be embarrassed! If someone were that outwardly rude in the beginning she must be used to not receiving tips and therefore usually provides her guests with awful service. I wouldn't have tipped her either...just rude! :eek:

pouncingpluto
11-20-2008, 06:56 AM
So... I know tipping housekeeping seems to be very common on this message board, but do you guys really think it's that common in the U.S. otherwise? I'm an American, and I travel a lot and sometimes room with colleagues, etc., and I have never heard of someone tipping a maid outside of the context of the DIS.

LavenderPeach
11-20-2008, 07:54 AM
So... I know tipping housekeeping seems to be very common on this message board, but do you guys really think it's that common in the U.S. otherwise? I'm an American, and I travel a lot and sometimes room with colleagues, etc., and I have never heard of someone tipping a maid outside of the context of the DIS.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I don't travel a lot now but we traveled fairly often when i was a kid and I don't remember my parents leaving tips for housekeeping so I never have as an adult. It wasn't until we were planning a trip to WDW and I started reading these boards that I heard about people doing that. I think I did leave tips for the housekeepers while on that trip but that's the only time. I thought maybe it was just me but I have to agree that I don't think it is necessarily a common thing to do. I don't know. :confused3

trodrigue
11-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Just wanted to chime in. I do tip, and fairly generously when someone has invested themselves in making my experience be the most that it can be I tend to be thrifty and share meals and use coupons, but I also like good food and good service. I always tip on an amount equal to two meals, if we have shared one, and of course on the full prediscounted price, provided the service has been reasonable or better. In addition, I have worked in the serving industry for years. That is what put me through college, and allows me not to wait tables now. It is true that the slow times can be tough, walking out with just your hourly wages, but...the opportunity is huge and it is possible to make as much as $50 or more per hour with tips. So, it is a law of averages, and you have to take the bad with the good.

I also did not know about tipping housekeeping though. But, I can certainly see why it makes sense and would love to see some of those towel animals. Half the time, we don't even have our room made up because it is too much of a mess.

techno
11-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Decent Article on Tipping Etiquette in the US. Again, remember you're tipping based on the quality of the service you receive. Poor or non-existent service deserves no tip, regardless of the situation or establishment. That being said, I highly encourage tipping 20% (or more if you are so inclined) when service is outstanding.

One other thing to keep in mind, always tip on the pre-tax amount. There is no need to tip on top of what Uncle Sam decides to tax you with.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Krissy Marissy
11-20-2008, 11:56 AM

I think pretty much everyone I talk to that travels often always tips the maid staff. Unless you are staying at a really cheap place, which I try to avoid.

Peri
11-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Yes it is VERY IMPORTANT to note that wait staff do NOT usually make minimum wage! They make much less and they are "expected" to get tips to make up the difference! I think the system is awful, but it is the reality here in the states.

We tip 20 percent unless the service is horrible. If it is that bad, you should talk to the manager in any event.

We leave a dollar PER PERSON per night for housekeeping. I leave the money on the pillow.

Peri
11-20-2008, 01:32 PM
And yes, I tip wherever we are staying - Vegas, Disneyland, WDW, Tennesse, Simi Valley, Flagstaff, Tucson, Phoenix, New York, EVERYWHERE - for housekeeping too!

kiwitravel
11-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Yes it is VERY IMPORTANT to note that wait staff do NOT usually make minimum wage! They make much less and they are "expected" to get tips to make up the difference! I think the system is awful, but it is the reality here in the states.

We tip 20 percent unless the service is horrible. If it is that bad, you should talk to the manager in any event.

We leave a dollar PER PERSON per night for housekeeping. I leave the money on the pillow.

One thing that has always confused me...

Bus drivers, maids etc get tipped on a per bag or per person basis, I have no issue with that but why is the server tipped on a percentage basis rather than say number of courses/people? Also doesn't this mean that the more expensive restaurant you work in then you will earn correspondingly more? Even in a medium priced restaurant they could be earning big dollars, I have heard of servers that have to pay the restaurant to work there because of the size of the tips so in the end not all of what you are paying the server goes to them but ends up going to the restaurant. Sorry but this system just doesn't seem right to me....

So is a tip for service (good or bad) or an extra for good service? Seems to me it is now the former when it used to be the later.

SeattleTink
11-20-2008, 03:18 PM
And yes, I tip wherever we are staying - Vegas, Disneyland, WDW, Tennesse, Simi Valley, Flagstaff, Tucson, Phoenix, New York, EVERYWHERE - for housekeeping too!

I totally agree.

I have converted my "cheapo" dh to tip as well. When we stayed at the GCH a few years ago I left $4.00 per day. $1 per person. You should have seen our room everynight...chocolates by the handfuls, free toothbrushes, free sewing kits and lots of lots of towels.

When you think of it, that $2 or $3 is making someone's day! It is pretty powerful.

Even if I don't get the freebies, I know I am making someone really feel appreciated for a job well done.