PDA

View Full Version : 5th Wheel or Class A...and why?

Minnie&Mickey
11-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Hi everyone,
Most of you don't know me (:wave2: Hi Donna!), but I am a daily lurker on this board. My husband and I want to buy an RV so that we can camp at the Fort (and other places), but we are having a lot of difficulty deciding whether we should get a Class A or a 5th wheel. We are DVC members and love it, but would like to be able to take our dog along on vacations instead of having to find a dog-sitter. If we get a 5th wheel, my husband will have to buy an new truck (which he desperately needs anyway), but if we buy a Class A, we will need to tow a car when we go on trips. In most cases, it will just be the two of us and the dog, but occassionally our grown kids might want to come along.

The weird thing is that one week we think we should buy a Class A, and we go out looking at them and love them, and the next day someone says something about 5th wheels and then we think we should probably get one of them instead.

So here is my question...if you have a Class A or a 5th Wheel, what do you love about it and why? Regardless of which one we go with, they will both be around the same size.

Thanks for helping us with this decision!

CCIntrigue
11-18-2008, 06:07 AM
There are advantages to either setup, and ultimately you have to decide what's most important for your particular situation.

We camped in a travel trailer for 20 years and went to a MH two years ago after spending years debating new TT vs 5th wheel vs MH. I would never want to go back! MH is so much more comfortable to travel in. DH is one of those people who can drive for hours without a break. If I want a snack, need a bathroom break, or just need to stretch my legs I can do it without having to make a stop. The dog can wander around and play. And the view is great!

MPG is better in our MH than it was with the F-350 towing an Airstream. But mileage in our toad is about 3 times what it was with the F-350. We tow my Miata and a golf cart on a Featherlite car carrier, and it doesn't affect our MPG. We take the car/cart with us about 50% of the time -- depends on where we're going. Occasionally rent a car for a few days.

Setup and takedown are much easier/quicker in a MH. I could go on and on ...

Shan-man
11-18-2008, 06:15 AM
I would normally say that for a couple traveling alone, class As are generally a better fit (for all the reasons CCIntrigue mentioned). Most 5th wheels are designed to maximize sleeping capacity for families. I love my class A, but you have mentioned that you meet the main criteria that would make one prefer a 5th wheel... you have need of a new truck as well as wanting an RV. If you have regular need for a super heavy duty truck anyhow, buying a class A and a dinghy as well (which would sit idle much of the time[?], not good for engines) doesn't make sense (to me, at least).

becky1960
11-18-2008, 06:19 AM
MH would be nice if you financially able to maintain one, we have a 5th wheel. I would argue about Mpg as we get about 12-13 mpg with a Crewcab dually, and a motorhome I once took to Fw got about 7-8. Some of the other people I talk to get more on their 5th wheel setup than I do.

As the previous poster stated the MH is a lot more easier to travel in..

Donna
11-18-2008, 06:53 AM
hi holly! i see you are still deciding what to get! Wish i lived closer; it sure would be fun for us to go RV shopping; I love them all, A's, C's and 5th wheels. For some reason, i see you in an A, just seems easier to me, for 2 people to set up and I think your dog would love going down the highway looking out the window!
Good Luck!

Shaun and Amy
11-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Hey there!

Well what an adventure! I think there certainly are pros and cons to each. Probably the best thing is to write it all out so you can see it on paper. We have a 40' fifth wheel that we tow with a Freightliner. Last winter we were getting ready to purchase a new RV and test drove and looked at motorhomes, but ended up with a fifth wheel again. A couple of reasons why we stayed with a fifth wheel were: I didn't really want to have to tow a car. I just don't care for that idea. Another is that in talking with many motorhome owners we always seem to get better mileage by at least 2-4 miles.

It's a really hard decision. One thing to look at is will you have to sacrifice quailty between the two. You could spend much less on a fifth wheel and get top of the line quality because you won't be buying the chassis for the motorhome to sit on. Also, you can easily keep your truck and change fifth wheels or vise versa if you want to.

Good luck in your search. Either way I would pay alot of attention to quality and structure.

LarryJ
11-18-2008, 08:25 AM
MH would be nice if you financially able to maintain one, we have a 5th wheel. I would argue about Mpg as we get about 12-13 mpg with a Crewcab dually, and a motorhome I once took to Fw got about 7-8. Some of the other people I talk to get more on their 5th wheel setup than I do.

As the previous poster stated the MH is a lot more easier to travel in..

I would caution one about expecting to get anything over around 9 to 11 mpg towing any high profile 5er or TT and that is for a diesel. The older Cummins (5.9 diesel) got the best mpg and could approach 11 or even 12 with some trailers, but I would plan on the 9 to 11 figure. MHs towable RVs especially gassers get less mpg and the 7 to 9 is more in the ball park from everything that I have read.

We've been traveling in a full sized Van since the late 1970's all over the U.S. and would never have anything else for taking road trips, but that's a personal preference and it limits us to regular Travel Trailers. MHs are nice, but we just don't want to spend all our time in the same atmosphere 24/7.

Larry

LORNADUCK
11-18-2008, 08:45 AM
My DH and I have had 8 units, one of them was a 5th wheel all the rest either class C or A. We prefer the Class A. He loves driving it and hated driving the 5th wheel. I like traveling in the A. We ususally don't take a car. I pack enough for where we are going especially the FT. We are going to get a tow dolly soon, but have been fine without it. We have a trailer for our golf cart and take that to the FT.

clkelley
11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Here are some cons to a Class A vs. a 5th wheel.

If the engine goes bad on your coach, then it's possible you have to get rid of the entire coach.
If the truck goes bad you just replace the truck and you still have your 5th wheel.

If you are on the highway and have mechanical troubles, then the entire coach has to go to the repair shop and you have to stay in a hotel/motel.

If you have a 5th wheel, then the truck can go to the repair shop and you and your 5th wheel can be towed to a campground and can relax in your "home"

loveDmouse
11-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I love our Class A. (We started with a Class C.) I like the ability on long trips to get up to go to the bathroom or grab a snack or drink. My husband drives until we need gas so usually when we stop for gas I fix us a quick bit for lunch and we are on our way.
Our dog has room to stretch out. It is just the two of us and our one dog who loves to travel. (other one is a homebody)

We have never had a trailer or 5th wheel and we wouldn't. We enjoy our motorhome too much.

I am sure everyone has pros and cons to both. The question really is, What fits you?

Have fun deciding.

stacktester
11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Deciding what camper is best can be a hard decision. If it's going to just be the two of you like you said, then a Class A probably would work fine. If the family you mentioned comes often then a 5th wheel would fit better.

One thing I've noticed about moho's is that they'll be like 10 years old and have only 50k miles or so on them because they're a point A to point B driver. The bad thing is unless you're really going to use it a lot is the thing sitting. Engines weren't built to sit up. The valve seals, gaskets, hoses and other parts weren't designed to get heated up and then sit for weeks. This is just my opinion I'm not a mechanic.

Minnie&Mickey
11-18-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh my gosh! Thank you so much for all the replies!!! You guys have given me so much to think about. Originally, my husband wanted a Class A and I wanted a 5th wheel. Then we went to a RV show and suddenly I wanted a Class A and he wanted a 5th wheel. We've gone back and forth like this for months. I've found a used 2005 Pace Arrow online that looks great (for a great price) and I want to go look at it this weekend, but after looking at another 5th wheel at a dealership yesterday, I'm thinking maybe we really should go that route. I've been begging my husband to buy a new truck for a couple of years now, and if we get a 5th wheel, he will be forced to buy one. By the way, would he have to have a dually to pull one, or will something like an F-250 work?

Once again, thanks for all the great advice! I'm going to read all of the responses to my husband so that we can discuss this a little bit more. I guess I am just so afraid of making a big expensive mistake.

Minnie&Mickey
11-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Wish i lived closer; it sure would be fun for us to go RV shopping;

Yes, I think you definitely need to go on a little mini-vacation to Georgia to help us decide! I think you are right about Jazz...he would love looking out that great big window! I wish that motorhomes and 5th wheels weren't so expensive...I wouldn't be stressing over my decision so much if they were cheap! LOL!

MadFF
11-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I've been begging my husband to buy a new truck for a couple of years now, and if we get a 5th wheel, he will be forced to buy one. By the way, would he have to have a dually to pull one, or will something like an F-250 work?

You've been begging your husband to buy a new truck and he hasn't yet?? :upsidedow Actually, it probably has worked out best for you, as the deals on new trucks are incredible these days.

Single rear wheel or dually? Depends on the weight of the 5th wheel and the capacity of the truck. But you can get single rear wheel trucks that have almost the capacity of duallys... Most people I've talked to like pulling with the duallys better.

Class A or 5th wheel?

Well, if you need a new truck anyways, getting the 5th wheel means less maintenance (no engine) and less taxes (usually!). Depending on the model, usually 5th wheels will have more "living" space, including possibly two bedrooms and / or bunks for extra people.

Class A is much better for extended driving, because as many have said you have your bathroom and room to stretch. You can even switch drivers (should be done at a rest stop! ;) ) and one person can take a nap in a real bed. A lot more comfortable than a reclined truck seat.

After saying all this, I have not owned a 5th wheel or Class A, so take all this with a grain of salt!

Have fun shopping!

loveDmouse
11-18-2008, 05:54 PM
A good thing to do is spend lots of time in each kind. Visualize yourself "living" in that unit. See how functionable it is for your needs.
I went back and forth and back and forth between two Class As. Even sitting on the toilet to see how the room was in the bathroom. :lmao:

I wouldn't have to beg my husband to get a new truck. He would be all over that. :rotfl:

Shan-man
11-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I just wanted to reiterate that since you say you need a new truck anyway, a 5th wheel seems to be a natural choice. We would not have a daily need for a truck, much less a heavy duty truck. We have a class A, but we do not tow, and our used MoHo cost less than most tow vehicles. If we do add a dinghy, it will be a compact car that we will use as a daily driver. In your situation, it sounds like if you got a class A, you would want to add a dinghy, and you would still have an old pickup you'd still want updated!

BTW, I think if I had a 5er, I'd feel more comfortable towing with a dually if for no other reason that if there was a blowout there is another tire to control the load. But I seem to attract blowouts!

Minnie&Mickey
11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't have to beg my husband to get a new truck. He would be all over that. :rotfl:

LOL! I know, my husband is really weird about his stupid pickup truck. It's a 1998 Ford Ranger, the paint is pealing off of it, and it has almost 150,000 miles on it. It's really embarrassing because I've had several new cars over the past 10 years, and he just keeps driving his little truck! Every time we go out to look at a new truck for him, he looks at the gas mileage on the sticker and says "Never mind!" :confused3

Minnie&Mickey
11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I just wanted to reiterate that since you say you need a new truck anyway, a 5th wheel seems to be a natural choice.

I think you might be right. My problem is that the 5th wheel that I have fallen in love with is a little pricey. If I add the cost of a truck to that, I'll be paying more than the used Class A that I found which is a bigger RV. The only possibility is that if my husband buys a truck, it can be purchased through our business (we own a liquor store). I'm just not sure if he would be willing to do that.

BTW, I think if I had a 5er, I'd feel more comfortable towing with a dually if for no other reason that if there was a blowout there is another tire to control the load. But I seem to attract blowouts!

LOL! Remind me never to ride in a car with you! ;)

MadFF
11-18-2008, 06:37 PM
I went back and forth and back and forth between two Class As. Even sitting on the toilet to see how the room was in the bathroom. :lmao:

That is a very legitimate thing to do! Our TT has a very tight bathroom... so from experience, I tell people to sit on the "pot" to see how everything works! (need a smilie "reading the paper" here!)

njcamper95
11-18-2008, 09:31 PM
My opinion is if you will use it a lot then a class a would be a consideration if you will only use it 2-3 weeks a year then i would really think more about the 5 er worst thing for a motor is sitting around so unless you get lots of vacation time or are retired i would steer away from the MH sitting for long periods isn't great on either but alot worse on the MH plus sounds like your DH could use the new truck i just got a 08 chevy 2500 they are having some great deals on them right now they took over 12,000$ off the sticker price its only 13 $ more then my leased truck that i'm turning in and this one i'm buying leasing prices are getting crazy they use to be cheaper but not anymore well good luck and the single or dual wheel thing isn't much more then a weight rating dual wheel trucks are 1 ton or a f 350 or a 3500depending on ford,dodge or chevy we just had a blowout on our Oct 08 trip from NJ to the Fort while in Va just made some thumping noise but we have a good weight dist.and sway bars system so was no problem other then changing the tire on I 95

clkelley
11-18-2008, 11:24 PM
The truck you need totally depends on the 5th wheel. My parents have an ultra light 5th wheel that they tow with an F-150 5.4 Triton.

bradisgoofy
11-19-2008, 04:09 AM
Okay I would like to weight in on this....We have owned both and now have a motorhome. ( Click on the word Motorhome in my signature to see it ) I found pulling the 5er to be more stressful then driving a MH. We had a 36' 5er weighing 11,000 plus pounds and pulled it with a 1 ton Dodge diesel, single axle, without any trouble for two years. ( I still have the truck ) We now have the 38' MH in the picture. Both were setup, interior wise, about the same. Something no one has mentioned is setup time. It took at least 1/2 an hour to setup the 5er ( level, which is not a problem at FW, unhook, run out the slides and hookup the electric and water ) whereas the MH takes about 10 minutes. I'm not young any more so that has been a big difference to me. A couple have mentioned a MH setting around, if you check the rv forums you will find many full timers who have their coaches sitting for 6 to 9 months without reporting any problems. Last, most MH will tow anywhere from 5000 to 10,000 lbs so your DH could get his new ( or newer ) truck and there is no reason you couldn't tow it behind you. Plus, you could put a golf cart in the bed to go with you. :thumbsup2

Oops, one more, spontaneous trips are a lot easier with a MH, just start it and go. :cool1:

Minnie&Mickey
11-19-2008, 05:37 AM
A couple have mentioned a MH setting around, if you check the rv forums you will find many full timers who have their coaches sitting for 6 to 9 months without reporting any problems. Plus, you could put a golf cart in the bed to go with you. :thumbsup2

Just when I think we've finally made a decision (leaning heavily toward a 5th wheel now), you throw in the part about the golf cart in the truck bed! That's such a good idea! Believe it or not, we have had a few discussions about bringing a golf cart, but never thought about doing it that way!

I wonder if the problems with MH sitting around not being used causing problems is more of a regional thing. We live in Georgia, so we don't get very harse winters (although we get very hot summers), so I'm wondering if that would be better for the MH???

njcampers - thanks for the info on the truck. With deals that good, it looks like we should go truck shopping regardless of what type of RV we choose!

loveDmouse
11-19-2008, 06:59 AM
I wonder if the problems with MH sitting around not being used causing problems is more of a regional thing. We live in Georgia, so we don't get very harse winters (although we get very hot summers), so I'm wondering if that would be better for the MH???

JMHO....
I would say a lot of the problems are caused by people not doing the proper maintenance they need to on their rigs. Even with cars/trucks a lot of people don't do what they are suppose to. Checks your fluids, check you tire pressure, check the belts, change the oil, etc, etc. My husband is a mechanic and is very meticulous (sp?) about making sure things that are suppose to be done get done. But it really isn't hard for someone who isn't a mechanic to do some or most of these things.

It is amazing to me all the people who do nothing and then are shocked when their motorhomes or cars/trucks break down. What is that saying... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

When we aren't going on a regular basis we will run the motorhome for a while. Sometimes driving it around. Just to keep it happy.
We usually get to go once a month for a weekend (sometimes a hair longer) from say March-April (according to the weather) to December when we head to the Fort.

Donna
11-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Just when I think we've finally made a decision (leaning heavily toward a 5th wheel now), you throw in the part about the golf cart in the truck bed! That's such a good idea! Believe it or not, we have had a few discussions about bringing a golf cart, but never thought about doing it that way!

njcampers - thanks for the info on the truck. With deals that good, it looks like we should go truck shopping regardless of what type of RV we choose!

holly,
whatever you decide, be sure to let me know when your first trip will be. I hope its when i'm there so i can see your new "whatever you decide", lol.:laughing:

NLPRacing
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I have had experiences with pop-up campers, TT, 5th wheels & motorhomes. Out of all of them, I like the motorhome the best. We've had ours for a little over 4 years now and it was the best investment we ever made. We chose to buy to MH because we like to take a lot of long trips. Having the option for the kids & DW to get up and stretch out, sleep in a real bed, use the bathroom, watch DirectTV, play video games, etc. while we're going down the road. That's a big plus for us since we have 3 kids. Before we had the third child, I set-up my 01 Mustang GT as a Toad, but now that we have 3 kids, I now have a tow bar & driveshaft disconnect for our 07 Expedition and use it as a Toad (and as a cargo trailer;) ). I also find that driving the MH even with a Toad is easier then pulling a trailer with a truck. Also, I found that my truck pulling a 28' TT got about 9 mpg and our MH pulling our Expedition Toad gets about 7 mpg, even with the generator running.

I have a pick-up & and SUV capable of pulling a big TT or 5th wheel, so for us, it came down whether we wanted to use it while traveling or only use it when we got there. For us, it was a no brainer.

CCIntrigue
11-19-2008, 05:20 PM
In the MoHo we get 9-10 MPG even when towing. With the F-350 with a golf cart in the bed and towing an Airstream we got 8-9 MPG. All depends on your setup.

Minnie&Mickey
11-19-2008, 06:10 PM
holly,
whatever you decide, be sure to let me know when your first trip will be. I hope its when i'm there so i can see your new "whatever you decide", lol.:laughing:

LOL! You'll be the first to know! And I'm sure our first trip will be to Fort Wilderness!

Thanks again everyone for all of your replies. You have all given us a lot to think about!

Shaun and Amy
11-20-2008, 05:43 AM
You know it's very hard to compare mileage. You have to take an overall idea of what people say. Mileage varies a lot just is how someone drives and where they drive. I took a trip up through the mountains in Vermont and got 5 mpg and then the next week we were out towards Syracuse, NY and got 8 mpg. So, it does change. Another way I look at it all this is, is that once you've decided to buy and own one of these things, you shouldn't even worry about it. If you're going to be concerned about the mileage, then you should buy a Honda and a tent. :lmao: But that's just my opinion.

Just another thought.........if you do go with a fifth wheel. Be sure to get a large enough truck to not only pull it, but stop it as well. Way too many times you see these huge fifth wheels being pulled around by these little 3/4 ton trucks. Someone else said they would only pull one with a dually truck. That's a good idea. Bigger truck, better stability, and other pluses. Obviously, I agree, since we pull ours with a freightliner.

You guys are certainly doing the right thing. Asking lots of questions and talking to everyone. That's the best way to learn about it all.

Again, good luck!

Minnie&Mickey
11-20-2008, 03:23 PM
If you're going to be concerned about the mileage, then you should buy a Honda and a tent. :lmao: But that's just my opinion.

No, gas mileage really hasn't been a consideration in all of this. Gas mileage only seems to matter to my husband when he goes out shopping for a new truck, and I think that is just an excuse...he really loves that ugly little pickup truck that he is driving now! I have no idea why! :confused3

I'm hoping that we will get to go shopping for an RV this weekend, and maybe be able to decide what to do now that I have read everyone's opinions. I'll even be sure to sit on the toilet! :)

Donna
11-20-2008, 03:41 PM
No, gas mileage really hasn't been a consideration in all of this. Gas mileage only seems to matter to my husband when he goes out shopping for a new truck, and I think that is just an excuse...he really loves that ugly little pickup truck that he is driving now! I have no idea why! :confused3

I'm hoping that we will get to go shopping for an RV this weekend, and maybe be able to decide what to do now that I have read everyone's opinions. I'll even be sure to sit on the toilet! :)

LOL! also, don't forget to stand in the shower and see if you can shave your legs, lol. Try doing this------> :yay:
:rotfl2:

stacktester
11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=Shaun and Amy;28814686]Just another thought.........if you do go with a fifth wheel. Be sure to get a large enough truck to not only pull it, but stop it as well. Way too many times you see these huge fifth wheels being pulled around by these little 3/4 ton trucks. Someone else said they would only pull one with a dually truck. That's a good idea. Bigger truck, better stability, and other pluses. Obviously, I agree, since we pull ours with a freightliner. QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would buy this line. I happen to have a 31' 5th wheel and a crew cab 3/4 ton Silverado with a Duramax Diesel. First of all, the difference between a dually and a 3/4 ton is the 3/4 ton has single rear wheels and most I see are short wheel bases. NOT ALL, but most. I don't think it's necessary to have a Freightliner to pull a 5'er. If I could afford one or one of those big Chevy's with the Kodiak looking front end and regular dually bed, heck yeah I would.

They make many 5th wheel models now that can actually be pulled by a 1/2 ton. My truck has weight left over when I pull my camper. I bought a new dually in 93 to pull a horse trailer and it was also my daily driver. You got 2 more tires to maintain plus they're a pain to park because you need more room. Throw some good (load range E) tires on that baby and go. One suggestion I will give on no matter what you do. Make sure you've got a good set of tires and keep them properly inflated and make sure you inspect them a lot for signs of cracking or damage.

Shaun and Amy
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure I would buy this line. I happen to have a 31' 5th wheel and a crew cab 3/4 ton Silverado with a Duramax Diesel. First of all, the difference between a dually and a 3/4 ton is the 3/4 ton has single rear wheels and most I see are short wheel bases. NOT ALL, but most. I don't think it's necessary to have a Freightliner to pull a 5'er. If I could afford one or one of those big Chevy's with the Kodiak looking front end and regular dually bed, heck yeah I would.

They make many 5th wheel models now that can actually be pulled by a 1/2 ton. My truck has weight left over when I pull my camper. I bought a new dually in 93 to pull a horse trailer and it was also my daily driver. You got 2 more tires to maintain plus they're a pain to park because you need more room. Throw some good (load range E) tires on that baby and go. One suggestion I will give on no matter what you do. Make sure you've got a good set of tires and keep them properly inflated and make sure you inspect them a lot for signs of cracking or damage.[/QUOTE]

Well I truely believe there is a difference between single wheels and duals. You have a much more stable truck in respect to a side to side and rocking issue. You are very right in that there are MANY fivers made to be less weight to match up with half ton and 3/4 ton trucks. I see too many times though that trucks are overloaded. I think a lot of the time it's the salesperson's fault though. If you don't know they'll try to sell you anything. In my case I would NEVER tow my fifth wheel with anything less then a medium duty truck. The trailer itself weighs a little 21,500 pounds. That's WAY too much weight for a pickup truck. BUT....you don't need to have a trailer that heavy.

Your trailer and truck combo sound like a perfect match. You did it right in my opinion. Also in your case you probably don't need dual wheels. These are all things to consider.......if you drive your truck as a daily vehicle then yes you probably would rather not have to be driving around something with dual wheels. I can understand that. Luckily, I don't have to drive that Frieghtliner around to work. :scared:

Well anyway.......it's all a real learning curve. There's SO many different things out there these days. Seems like the choices are endless.

lisa8200
11-21-2008, 04:19 AM
Our first camper was a 38' fiver pulled with an F-250 powerstroke. We had decided that we didn't want a Class A or C because a motor was additional maintenance. We had a blast with the 5'er and regret that decion but, now we have a class A. The reasons have all been mentioned already. Fuel cost have actually went down with the MH. Everyone is not crammed in the cab of the truck for the drive.Easier and faster to setup, Golf cart transport is easier,and spontaneous trips are easier.
The fifth wheel was less maintenance and had more room and storage.

Unfortunately it still comes down to what fits you. Some people sell class A's to go back to 5'ers because thats what works for them.Good Luck.

stacktester
11-21-2008, 08:51 AM
Shaun is right. There are many ways to look at it and your comments are respectfully submitted without a cat fight lol. You are also correct when you say salesman will try to sale you anything. I would say my 5'er is a good match for my truck but I've seen 38' Raptors going down the road with the same truck and those bigger one's really do need a DUALLY.

loveDmouse
11-21-2008, 10:01 AM
LOL! also, don't forget to stand in the shower and see if you can shave your legs, lol. Try doing this------> :yay:
:rotfl2:

I forgot about that. That is something you should do to. Especially if you are tall, which my husband is. Most of us short people aren't going to have to much issue but I still get in and make sure you will be comfortable for a shower in there.
:)

loveDmouse
11-21-2008, 10:04 AM
You are also correct when you say salesman will try to sale you anything.

That is 100% true. Do not trust a salesman. :headache: Do your own research and talk to other Rvers. They will tell you whatever vehicle you have will be fine to tow. That is what they did to us when they were trying to talk us into a travel trailer. Luckily we got online and found some great rv forums with knowledgeable people to help us out.

disney4dan
11-21-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't see any reason why they can't just get a 5'er and tow it with the Ranger. Heck, that puppy has a good 100,000 miles left in it. Just throw in a couple of air bags on the rear suspension and yer all set:cool1:

Lots of great advice on here. I'm thinking you'll be happy either way but we want to see some photos!

Got any models, sizes in mind? Love living vicariously through other peoples camp photos.

We have an arctic air blast settling in for the weekend and I wish we were connecting to the trailer and heading to the Fort!

Minnie&Mickey
11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
I don't see any reason why they can't just get a 5'er and tow it with the Ranger. Heck, that puppy has a good 100,000 miles left in it. Just throw in a couple of air bags on the rear suspension and yer all set:cool1:

Lots of great advice on here. I'm thinking you'll be happy either way but we want to see some photos!

Got any models, sizes in mind? Love living vicariously through other peoples camp photos.

LOL! I don't think the Ranger would even be able to get up my driveway towing a 5th wheel!!! Sometimes I am amazed that it makes it up the driveway with nothing attached to it at all!:rotfl:

I have fallen in love with a 2009 Cameo by Carriage, but since we will have to buy a new truck too, I think it might be out of our price range. It had really nice leather chairs, an island in the kitchen, granite countertops, a fireplace, etc... It was gorgeous! We looked at a few Sierra 5th wheels this afternoon, but they didn't really have what I wanted. They are supposed to get more in two weeks from now, so we are going to go check them out when they come in. Tomorrow we are going to try to get to another RV dealership if my husband can get off of work in time.

dtum
11-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Just my two cents. I'd recommend a fifth wheel. Had a TT, but we'd always wanted a 5er. We got around 14 MPG towing to FW from Ohio. There are just two of us and our Titanium only sleeps two (it was the smallest model made at that time), but we love the higher ceilings, the "two story" feel of a real house. As previously posted, the Titanium makes a model that can be towed with a smaller truck; although I would never recommend that. While Class A looks really fancy, there is so much more that can go wrong with them-- to us the 5er is more practical. Towing is a dream (both DH and I take turns towing). Don't want to sway your views, but take a look at a Titanium. Go here: http://www.titaniumrvowners.com/ and ask a few questions. We actually found our Ti on E-bay for a price that we couldn't pass up and have never looked back. You can also look at RV.net, but in the end I think we all have our own biased opinions based on what we drive/tow. :lovestruc

njcamper95
11-22-2008, 09:17 AM
I was just re reading thru these and you mentioned a golf cart ?????
here is a new thought you could go with a TT then the cart could go inthe bed of the truck SORRY if this makes more confusion but something to think about we have a cougar 295 it is setup like a 5er inside just no step up to get into the bedroom area and the shower is one of those angle type so even a 230 lb man like myself can shower with no problem it has the 2 chairs in the rear with big windows the dinnette makes a bed and the couch pulls out into a queen size bed so if you have guest there is room for others

Agian sorry for putting a monkey wrench into the works but this may be a option you can consider also good luck and hopefully you can find the right match for you

Shan-man
11-22-2008, 09:35 AM
I was just re reading thru these and you mentioned a golf cart ?????
here is a new thought you could go with a TT then the cart could go inthe bed of the truck SORRY if this makes more confusion but something to think about we have a cougar 295 it is setup like a 5er inside just no step up to get into the bedroom area and the shower is one of those angle type so even a 230 lb man like myself can shower with no problem it has the 2 chairs in the rear with big windows the dinnette makes a bed and the couch pulls out into a queen size bed so if you have guest there is room for others

Agian sorry for putting a monkey wrench into the works but this may be a option you can consider also good luck and hopefully you can find the right match for you

Or, you can get a MoHo and a tandem tow dolly... this is my dream rig! A medium size MoHo (35' Pace Arrow?), a cart on a tandem tow, and a small dinghy (maybe a RAV).

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w359/SLSettles/01.jpg

Just to stir the muddy waters! LOL

2goofycampers
11-22-2008, 09:57 AM

I like that, :thumbsup2 throw in a way to take a boat along and it would be a perfect set up.

Shaun and Amy
11-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I like that, :thumbsup2 throw in a way to take a boat along and it would be a perfect set up.

That's pretty clever. I've never seen anything like that. Depending on the size of the boat, you could strap it to the rack on the roof of the car.

bradisgoofy
11-22-2008, 10:45 AM
....I have fallen in love with a 2009 Cameo by Carriage, but since we will have to buy a new truck too, I think it might be out of our price range. It had really nice leather chairs, an island in the kitchen, granite countertops, a fireplace, etc... It was gorgeous! ....Way cool, that was the model we traded in for our MH. :thumbsup2

LONE-STAR
11-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Toy hauler. You can bring everything. We had a fifth wheel and went to a bumper pull toy hauler . I can put 2 golf carts inside and still have the bed of my truck to haul other stuff.

bord1niowa
11-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I know this question was about the differences in a 5er and MH but I noticed many have mentioned they had TT's also. I am curious as to what moved you to a 5er or MH or what it is you felt was lacking in a trailer? We are looking into retiring in 4 years and are looking at all this now. We did buy a Trailer, for in between, but are looking for any input from those who have been down this road.
Thanks

dtum
11-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Went from TT to 5er for several reasons. One ceiling height. Our Ti is 2 1/2' taller than our TT. That makes for so much more light and openness. More of a home feeling. Second, towing. Towing a 5er so so much better. Totally no sway. We had several white knuckle rides with our TT. With our Ti, we have an extra 4' that comes up over the truck cab, so we actually have a 29' 5er that tows like a 24' one. That extra length is great! Also, remember that a 29' 5er is really 29', but a 29' TT is actually 26' because they count the trailer tongue that takes up 3' of unlivable space. If you're going to retire and live in something a 5er is definitely the most livable rig. Would never trade my baby for anything (except a bigger Ti!) :love:

Cockburn Family
11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
GO FOR THE A CLASS....ITS THE PERFECT SET UP!!

Keep in mind my wife and I have 2 kids, and pull a 12' tent trailer right now...but when I retire baby this CANUCK is spending his winters in the lovely US of A in nothing but an A class towing a nice SUV behind it....and hopefully spending lots of time at the FORT.....mmmmmmmm.....retirement.

Minnie&Mickey
11-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I know this question was about the differences in a 5er and MH but I noticed many have mentioned they had TT's also. I am curious as to what moved you to a 5er or MH or what it is you felt was lacking in a trailer? We are looking into retiring in 4 years and are looking at all this now. We did buy a Trailer, for in between, but are looking for any input from those who have been down this road.
Thanks

The reason that we are not considering a TT, is because we have a good friend that has a TT and he recommended that we don't go that route. He said that he has difficulty towing his TT with his Ford F-250. He said that his next RV will be a 5th wheel. The reason we can't decide between the two is because we have seen a lot of MHs that we liked and we currently don't have a big truck like we will need to tow the 5th wheel. We're still trying to decide!

Minnie&Mickey
11-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Or, you can get a MoHo and a tandem tow dolly... this is my dream rig! A medium size MoHo (35' Pace Arrow?), a cart on a tandem tow, and a small dinghy (maybe a RAV).

Just to stir the muddy waters! LOL

I just spoke to my daughter and asked her if we could borrow her new RAV if we got the Pace Arrow...for some reason she said no (she just bought the car yesterday)! I told her that you said it was your dream rig, but she still refused! LOL! Oh well, I guess I need to keep on shopping!

fortcampers
11-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi----We bought a used 5th wheel and really love it--although we usually have 2-3 kids with us when we camp and need the bunk space. We like being able to tow it and have the truck to go places in. Currently we have a 1992 F-250 2 door and I have to follow my husband around in our minivan wherever we go. Our camper weighs 7,400 lbs and can hold an additional 1,700 lbs of weight fully loaded. We like the 10ft ceilings and the layout of our 5th wheel. There are less mechanicals to worry about on the 5th wheel and we need a truck anyway. We are now in the market for a newer truck that is 4 door, diesel and a dually. Driving around in the mountains would be easier! A lot of couples buy a class A, but you have to do what you feel is right for you. If you find a 5th wheel you really like and it just have that feel of home to it--then buy it. If you find a class A that has that feel to it, then buy it. I swore i would never buy a used camper, but when we stepped into this one, it felt like it was meant to me and we fell in love with it right then and there and we still love it. You'll know it when you walk into it, around in it and sit on the couch---you'll know that it's meant to be.

njcamper95
11-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Can't say why your friend with the f 250 has problems with his TT swaying but i have had 2 different TT's pulled by a 1500 2wd dodge then a 2500 2wd dodge the first TT was a springdale with bunks and weight about 6000 dry never had a problem but i had a weght distributing hitch with sway control then i bought a 05 cougar which i pulled with the 2500 dodge for a year then a 1500 4wd dodge all with the same hitch setup never had a sway problem just went to the Fort from NJ in Oct no sway even with the 1500 dodge i would ask what type of hitch he has does he have weight dist and sway control??????

Minnie&Mickey
11-27-2008, 07:05 PM
i would ask what type of hitch he has does he have weight dist and sway control??????

I know that they tow their TT up into the mountains a lot and they have had several TTs over the years (they are lifelong campers). They just recommended a 5th wheel to us and said that they are easier to tow. I know that the TT that they have now is huge, so maybe the length has something to do with it.

As of right now, we have decided to go with a 5th wheel. My biggest problem is that every time I start looking online, I find one that I like more than the one before! I don't think I will ever be able to decide!

dtum
11-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Take a look at Glendale Titanium. You get "extra" length because of the cab-over design, floor plans are great if you don't need a lot of sleeping space for a large family. We love ours...tows like a dream!

You can go here: http://www.titaniumrvowners.com/ and ask any questions you may have. :lovestruc

njcamper95
11-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Yes it can be tough to choose you have to just go in the camper try everything stand in the shower sit on the tiolet look at where the tv goes is there a place to sit and enjoy it on those rainy days make sure you love it its like a house you bring with you If your happy and it works then its the one just make sure your tow rig can handle the trailer weight at max load plus don't forget what you put in the tow vechicle it all counts toward that weight if you have extra people or load it with extra's they can add up quick and this can make any vechicle become a white nuckle trip up and down the highway best of luck and it sounds like you are doing your homework so you should do fine

Minnie&Mickey
11-28-2008, 12:50 PM
Take a look at Glendale Titanium. You get "extra" length because of the cab-over design, floor plans are great if you don't need a lot of sleeping space for a large family. We love ours...tows like a dream!

You can go here: http://www.titaniumrvowners.com/ and ask any questions you may have. :lovestruc

I checked out the Titanium RVs and really like them. The closest dealership for us is almost 200 miles away. If I decide to go with a Titanium, I will need to try to find a used one. Thanks for the link.

dtum
11-28-2008, 02:20 PM
DH found ours on e-bay. It was at a dealer in GA and we drove from OH to pick it up. The let us camp for a couple days to try it out and fixed any bugs we found. The price was too good to pass up and the GA dealer was wonderful to work with. Friends found one on e-bay that was in IN and they drove from OH ( a little closer) and another friend found one in NC (he also drove from OH). Just keep looking and things will work out with whatever brand you decide on. Good luck!

Shan-man
11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
I bought my MoHo on eBay and drove from NC to OK! The price was that much less than I could get it for locally though, so it was worth it. I am not recommending this approach, but encouraging you to keep your options open, and to say that driving 200 miles to get the right rig at the right price is really not too unreasonable (in my book... which admittedly is authored by a very silly man)!

Minnie&Mickey
11-28-2008, 03:02 PM
DH found ours on e-bay. It was at a dealer in GA and we drove from OH to pick it up. The let us camp for a couple days to try it out and fixed any bugs we found. The price was too good to pass up and the GA dealer was wonderful to work with. Friends found one on e-bay that was in IN and they drove from OH ( a little closer) and another friend found one in NC (he also drove from OH). Just keep looking and things will work out with whatever brand you decide on. Good luck!
Which dealership did you get yours at? We live just outside of Atlanta. There is actually a 5th wheel on ebay right now that I have been watching for two days...it is just beautiful though!!! I want it bad!!! But I am just really hesitant to buy it since I have never seen it up close and personal. The auction is ending in less than an hour, but we aren't going to bid on it. It is about $7000 cheaper than any place else online. Of course, that is where the bidding is starting, but so far no one has bid on it.

dtum
11-29-2008, 06:14 AM
We found our on e-bay, but the dealer was Sun Coast RV in Valdosta, GA. I e-mailed the dealer, told them I didn't like the bidding thing and what was the "best" price they would take. It was thousands less than the blue book so I e-mailed them back and told them we wanted it. Through several e-mails we ordered the hitch, etc. They had a KOA on the same property and we stayed there for two days working with their service dept to get the little things (drawer slides, etc.) fixed. They are a great bunch of people to work with and we were very happy to make the trip. They aren't a Titanium dealer, just had one in on trade. Don't think I'd have done the e-bay thing had it been a person, but with a dealer (I did some research on the dealership online also) I felt pretty good about doing it, but, again, I was working with them through e-mail long before we left to pick it up. If it's a dealer, go ahead and contact them, ask questions.

Minnie&Mickey
11-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I am pretty sure that we drive past Sun Coast RV on our way to WDW. I'll have to check out their website and see what they have. They are only about a 3 1/2 hour drive from here. I agree with you about the whole bidding thing. I don't like it either. The one that I kept watching yesterday ended up going without anyone bidding on it, and I think it was because of the lack of feedback on the seller.

bigdisneydaddy
11-29-2008, 02:28 PM
The reason that we are not considering a TT, is because we have a good friend that has a TT and he recommended that we don't go that route. He said that he has difficulty towing his TT with his Ford F-250. He said that his next RV will be a 5th wheel. The reason we can't decide between the two is because we have seen a lot of MHs that we liked and we currently don't have a big truck like we will need to tow the 5th wheel. We're still trying to decide!

Most will tell you that a 5er will tow better than a TT, like others have said the weight and length are distributed differently and each have a different feel. I will say that with the right truck AND the right hitch properly adjusted a travel trailer is not the white knuckle ride some people portray it to be. The trick is to do your homework and know what you need before you need it.
My trailer is rated as 32 ft, the body alone is 32, add on the back bumper and the tongue and its well over 35ft. My entire truck and trailer are about 57 ft long. I have experience driving large trucks and have been doing it since I was in my teens (a long time ago) so a lot will depend on your comfort level and amount of experience.
5ers are not without their pitfalls either, my Aunt and Uncle bought a new ext cab SB GMC pickup and a 5er last year and managed to jacknife it trying to turn around at my Moms house, this is a man that drove large trucks and had a class 1 CDL with a hazmat rating so he wasnt a newbie either, just wasnt used to the 5er.