PDA

View Full Version : Camp or Cabin HELP

Bens mom
11-13-2008, 07:47 PM
We have a trip planned for January 09 (First timers). We have a 37ft FW and have rented a premium site. Which we are wondering about the construction their doing on the campsites. And now they are running the buy 4 get 3 deal.
With this deal we can stay in a cabin for a $100.00 more than camping,gas ect. And pullilng the camper we're estimating 2 extra hours on drive time.(coming from birmingham,AL with 3yr old).
Please just someone give me an opinion which is best campsites or cabins?
Thanks

LONE-STAR
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Campsite wins in my book. Only done cabin once. But had our trailer at FW many times.

F4disneyfan
11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
After having just camped in Oct and leaving after 3 days if my only choice was the campground or cabins and no other resort I would choose the cabins hands down.

njcamper95
11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
we were just there last month my inlaws stayed in the cabins the cabins are really nice but if i already have a trailer then i couldn't imagine not using it unless you can save lots of money or your trailer is in rough shape and the cabins are a upgrade to your stay me i would stay in my camper over the cabin any day

2goofycampers
11-13-2008, 09:54 PM
The campground will always be there, this deal won't, I'd try the cabin this time and come back and camp next time.

Tri-circle-D
11-14-2008, 08:51 AM
The campground will always be there, this deal won't, I'd try the cabin this time and come back and camp next time.

I agree. As much as I love camping, the cabins are really nice. You have a full kitchen, and mousekeeping comes in everyday to make the beds and do the dishes. If it is really only going to cost you $100 more to stay in a cabin, I would say it's a no-brainer. Do the cabin.

TCD

becky1960
11-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I just did a search online (Disney.com) and WL and SSR actually came up about $25.00 cheaper than Cabins for June 09. When I did the cabins a Popup came up and said to compare, and WL Woods view was cheaper than Cabins. This was the 4 and 3 offer....

auntie
11-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Cabins are comparable to Deluxe resorts as far as rates. Choosing the cabins should be based on the resort..not just that one might need extra space. While you may be paying Deluxe rates(even with the current promotion..that's why it comes up with a WL comparision)..you are still in a campground. WL is not a campground. The decision to stay in the Fort should be because you like and enjoy a campground experience. More to consider than just rate...otherwise some guests set themselves up for disappointment.

As far as OP..if the difference is only $100.00 then you may want to take advantage of the offer. As mentioned earlier the campground will be there for you to take your camper on another trip. Only I did find the cabins were not nearly as convenient to the campground amenities as the camping loops are. I'm not sure that will influence your decision any, but thought I'd let you know. If you are planning on bringing your bikes..then that's a plus..if you have to rent a golf cart for the entire week..it's going to increase your expense, and the site might be a better option.

F4disneyfan
11-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Seeing WL and SSR pop up cheaper I would take SSR I do not like WL feels like a dungeon to me. I would forego the campgrpound all together and take the room at SSR the place is great and nice and close to DTD and the themed pools are awesome same with the zero entry main pool.

greenchief
11-14-2008, 01:41 PM
OP don't forget to consider the $200 GC for staying in Jan with the stay 4, 3 free. That is also money not coming out of your pocket.

Skyw
11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I have read good reviews on SSR. We haven't stayed there because there is more to do with 5 year old at the Fort. And we don't do the parks "commando" style. So we are at the Fort "hanging out" a lot. On the other hand, the campers on this site really love to go back to their own bed and their "stuff" each night. And that has a certain appeal to me. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will have a great time. That is part of the fun of staying on Disney. You know what to expect. :goodvibes ...a good time.

jkthorstad
11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I would pick the cabins hands-down. We were there in Oct and stayed in the cabins. We were going to camp at first, but also got a great deal. We have 2 children, 7 and 5. The benefits of the cabin were:

Didn't have to haul camper down. Saved on gas and stress, and wear and tear..
Had a full kitchen
Had our own bathroom. Didn't have to go to comfort station
Could enjoy FW as soon as we got there . No setting up involved
We took our bikes and did not use golf cart. Worked great
Mousekeeping left us "towel animals" every day

Fort Wilderness is awesome. We spent 2 days at magic kingdom, and the fact that it is a boat ride away is awesome. We enjoyed it much more than the buses.

The free campfire is a great perk. My kids LOVED it.

Let me know if you have any questions

dtum
11-15-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm very confused on how you got $100 more than camping. I just priced for cabins vs. camping for June and four nights (getting seven) is almost double the cost of camping seven nights (not including tickets). I looked at the other seasons and cabins are so much more than camping, I can't figure out how you got your price. Was that the real price for the whole package or did they mean $100/day more than camping? Sorry, just trying to figure out how it came out so much cheaper. :confused3

Bens mom
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
We are going in January 2009 and Premium campsite is costing us $1430. Golf cart rental $287. Estimating gas there and back pulling camper $450. Total $2167 give or take a little. But now with the buy 4 get 3 free for the same dates in January a cabin would cost $2018. Gas in suv there and back estimateing $225. Total $2283 give or take. And their giving you a $200 gift card with the deal (figured we could use it toward the golf carts) With that said I guess its more of $200 difference.
We're just not sure which we would enjoy the most. We've never been to Disney World, we've never seen Ft. wilderness(but difinetly want to stay there), not to mention we've never been camping outside of Alabama.
My husband says hes in a no win situation if we get there and I don't like the campsites I'll wish we were in a cabin. And if we stay at the cabins and their
not what we thought I'll wish we would have brought the camper. God love him. I hate to say it but hes right.
So I really need you guys who have stayed in or seen both to let me know which you like better? (i'm not really worried about the better deal just the better place)

thanks,
Debbie

dtum
11-16-2008, 08:04 AM
We've stayed in both. The cabins are really nice. Mousekeeping comes in every day and cleans up (even runs dishwasher for you). It's really like a lilttle house. Just bring your food and clothes and you're set.

That said, we love our 5er and sleeping in our own bed and having our own bathroom (or the shower house if you prefer--they are really nice). It's truly like being at home with our own stuff and we find that more relaxing.

I'm sure that doesn't help at all. It's six of one and half dozen of another. Either way you go, it's a win IMHO. $200 is $200 and maybe instead of spending that on a cabin you could spend the extra on things around the parks...maybe that helps.