PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on garden wing Contemporary rooms

tigergirl
11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Just wondering about folks opinions on the Contemporary garden wing - is it nice, does it need updating, worth the money, etc?

Some background - we are thinking about a trip in the summer if the price is right. Have been a 'value resort' family, but would really like to upgrade to something on the monorail line, and have 1-2 days where we relax at the resort rather than go commando all the time. It will be 3 of us (me, DH, and DS4), but may invite MIL and FIL as well. Although I would love to stay at the Poly, I still am in shock each time while looking at the final price. Not saying the Contemporary is cheap, but perhaps is a somewhat more viable alternative for our family. This is why we are thinking of the garden wing rather than the main tower.

I had read on one other post that the garden wing reminded that poster of an old Holiday Inn. Obviously, we normally stay just about as cheap as we can get, but am not opposed to splurging on something that I think will be a great experience (I'm a value-for-the-money kind of gal:) ). I guess I just want to make sure that if I shell out the $$, that it will be something a bit more special.

Just wondering what other's opinions are of the garden wing.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
11-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Even though my family and I have not stayed in the Garden Wing at the Contemporary everything I read about them and seen in person tells me they are a great option. They are the least expensive of the Garden Wing rooms among the Deluxe Resorts and are going to be less quiet then any Tower room if noise from the 4th floor would be a factor.

deide71
11-10-2008, 09:16 PM
The interior of the Wing rooms are the same as the rooms in the tower, so no worries there.

Location wise you have to walk to the main building to use the amenities, catch the Monorail, buses etc.

Also, most wing rooms have no balcony to speak of...the ground floor rooms have a patio though.

I just booked a standard view wing room with the AP rate for $200 with tax. Considering how lovely the rooms themselves are as well as the proximity to the MK I think the standard view wing rooms are an excellent value!

fla4fun
11-11-2008, 03:36 AM
I actually prefer the wing rooms to the tower rooms, because the wing seems a lot more peaceful to me. Plus, I seem to always have elevator challenges in the tower, which I don't have in the wing (plus the wing is only three floors, so I can use the stairs if nothing else). I like having the parking close by, and I like how easy it is to get to the pool and marina. I was all the way out at the lake end of the wing and it took me less than five minutes from room to fourth floor concourse.

I'm not saying I'd never stay in the tower - sometimes it's nice to have a balcony - but I really prefer the wing rooms.

happymommy
11-11-2008, 03:59 AM
We stayed there a few years ago, prior to the remodeling. The new decor looks very nice!

Pros- The room is very large! My kids didn't have to share a bed, as the daybed makes into a nice very comfortable twin. We had a first floor room, so yes, a nice sliding door with patio. Right outside our room was a little playground. The monorail is nice and convenient - and fun!

Cons- The room really was dirty when we first got there, in particular the toilet area. I don't think the toilet had been cleaned well - it smelled yucky. I ended up taking some hand towels and wash cloths, cleaning really well behind it, and leaving them for the housekeeping. It was old dried up yellow stuff. Gross. After that, the smell was gone. In their defense, the rooms had gotten tons of use, as the entire wing was being used by Shades of Green guests. SOG was closed for renovations, and we got the room for $129/night (about 5 years ago).
Also, I didn't think the pool was any big deal, no good theming like the other resorts we've stayed at. And the food court was disgusting. We tried to get a snack there, but honestly it was icky. We have loved the food courts at AKL, GF, the theme parks, but this one was gross.
I do think they renovated the food court, and I think they are planning on doing the pool soon (they need to!).

All in all, for the price we paid, it was great. I would go again, for a good rate, as the rooms are HUGE! The new design looks very nice, and I am sure the toilet dirt was just a fluke. That is why I just cleaned it up myself and didn't fuss.

Mouse Skywalker
11-11-2008, 05:11 AM
I was able to stay in a Garden Wing room in September, and it was very nice. I actually requested to move to the Garden Wing because my lake view Tower room was a little noisy. My wife is very sensitive to noise, she was joining me for a conference I was at, and the noise drifting up from Chef Mickey's definitely would have woken her up. The interior of the Garden Wing rooms was exactly the same as my Tower room.

Here are some pictures I took.

View from the room.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/dparfitt1/Disney%20Sept%2008/DSC02493.jpg

Walking around the Garden Wing
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/dparfitt1/Disney%20Sept%2008/DSC02500.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/dparfitt1/Disney%20Sept%2008/DSC02503.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/dparfitt1/Disney%20Sept%2008/DSC02504.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/dparfitt1/Disney%20Sept%2008/DSC02505.jpg

The Contemporary was nice, but I found it a little too "grown up" for me. Which also could be because I was there for a conference. I didn't get a good "Disney" feel from it, but that could have been just me. I definitely didn't think it felt like a Holiday Inn though.

PoohBear
11-11-2008, 06:28 AM
We have stayed in both and now prefer the Garden rooms. We also requested it after booking a tower room on our last visit there. I think it is worse since the last renovation (different doors, more traffic,more conventions...???). Anyway, we had stayed in the tower several times before the renovations and did not have a problem with noise. The last two times my kids asked if we could leave :scared1:
My DH now prefers the garden wing because he did not have to lug the laundry through the lobby of the main building. And the kids said they felt more comfortable walking to the pool without having to walk through the main building in their bathing suits. I think you will be happy with your choice. :thumbsup2

rcraw45425
11-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Just back last night from the GF and booked a bounceback to WL in June. I just called and converted over to CR garden wing room. Would like for a tower room to come available but the price for wing was good ($260) and the price she quoted me for std Atrium Club was a bit extreme ($575 a night with discount). Before renovations we always stayed at CR, the convenience cannot be beaten. THis last stay at GF DH complained about the walk to the monorail, and we had a long wait for a bust from DHS back to the resort, finally jumped on the TTC bus after seeing two WL buses come.

tripplanner
11-11-2008, 06:52 AM
We love the CR Wing Rooms. We've stayed in the tower a couple of times and the wings many, many times. The rooms are the same size, but soo much cheaper. The building is nice and quiet. The views we've had have always been of nice green lawn with trees and the water. It's a very relaxing location.

MickeyNicki
11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
We stayed there in May of 05 and did not like it at all....other than the Monorail we didnt like the resort. We were in a wing, second floor end unit with a view of the parking lot

ElizabethB
11-11-2008, 09:24 AM
We stayed in the Garden Wing and loved it. We had a first floor room with patio. The room is large and comfortable -- and even bigger if you have a patio. We looked out on some trees with Spanish Moss and a pond. Very pretty. Little animals came by -- bunnies and the like, which the kids enjoyed.

CR is a wonderful location, close to MK, monorail to other MK resorts and Epcot. There is good food at CG and the other monorail resorts.

All in all, we liked it a lot and would stay again. We have never stayed in the tower. Presumably, that's great. But, we'd go for a garden wing room again. They're a good value, given all the advantages they have.