PDA

View Full Version : What to wear to V&A

jenfur
11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
DH and I have an ADR at V&A in 21 days (:woohoo: ) but we are at a total loss as to what we should wear. DH is planning on a sport coat but the information here states dinner jacket so I am thinking more formal?

ROEDISNEY
11-10-2008, 02:18 PM
On the night we where there all the men I saw had on suits and all the women were dressed nice.

Lmichele
11-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Suit and tie for your DH and a nice cocktail dress for you will do! Enjoy!

BCV23
11-10-2008, 02:24 PM
His sport coat will be just fine. My husband usually wears a blazer or sports coat. He does wear a tie although they are optional.

Women dress up but it doesn't need to be a cocktail dress. A dressy pantsuit is my usual choice although next time I'm planning on wearing a long dress...mother of the groom type.

Pakey
11-10-2008, 03:05 PM
DH wears suit/tie and I always wear a dress. I have seen some women in dress slacks there but it's mostly dresses.

Gixer
11-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I never wear dresses, each time we have dined at V&A I have worn a pant suit and sparkly sandals, the type of thing you would wear to a special Christmas party, DH wears a suit and tie, all the other men we have seen have also worn suits and tie (not Tuxedo, just regular suits) although I think the tie is now optional. The women have been in either black trousers with a sparkly top or evening/cocktail dresses. I have never seen anyone at V&A who doesnt look like they have made a real effort to dress nicley for the experience, and V&A really is an experience, not just a dinner! :goodvibes

webray
11-10-2008, 07:15 PM
DH and I have an ADR at V&A in 21 days (:woohoo: ) but we are at a total loss as to what we should wear. DH is planning on a sport coat but the information here states dinner jacket so I am thinking more formal?

Sport coat and pants are fine. A tie is not required. My hubby wears his suit with one of those dressy tees. I usually do the little black dress, but a pant suit is fine for women also.

onelilspark
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
As long as he has a jacket, I'd say he's fine.

engle
11-11-2008, 08:15 AM
If you call V&A or when they call you to confirm your ressie, they are very clear that a collared shirt is now required as well. No more dressy tees or even a nice shirt if it doesn't have a collar. I always think wedding reception guest when I dress for V&A. Most people are dresed to the nines!!

But to answer the OP, a sport coat IS fine, but it must be over a collared shirt AND dress pants, not jeans!

Uncleromulus
11-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Uncleromulus always wears a blue sportcoat, tan slacks, brown loafers, light blue collar shirt. Almost always used to wear a tie, but last trip went w/o one. I'd say about 75% of the men have ties-25% don't. And aside from a personal preference, it dosen't really matter.
In the early days I used to wear a suit, but too much trouble to pack. Same for Mrs U--she used to wear a dress, but too hard to pack. Now its a pants suit and flats.

snykymom
11-11-2008, 09:35 AM
I hope that a pants outfit (what has been called "country club casual") will be sufficient! I really don't want to have to pack a dress! Particularly because I can't wear hose with the shoes and it may be cold in January! :sad2: Maybe I'll just pick up a fancier blouse. Lots of stuff out for New Years already anyway.

Maybe I'll go shopping on Black Friday and get some bargains? :scared1:

engle
11-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't know, anything called "casual" when it comes to V&A makes me say NO.

BCV23
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM
I hope that a pants outfit (what has been called "country club casual") will be sufficient! I really don't want to have to pack a dress! Particularly because I can't wear hose with the shoes and it may be cold in January! :sad2: Maybe I'll just pick up a fancier blouse. Lots of stuff out for New Years already anyway.

A dressy blouse and slacks will not cut it, IMO, if that's what you mean by a pants outfit/country club casual.

In fact, the dress code now specifies dress or pantsuit for women as I recall.

I don't know, anything called "casual" when it comes to V&A makes me say NO.

I agree.