PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Animation Inn & Suites

crazy4wdw
11-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Walt Disney World recently filed a construction permit to develop model rooms for "Disney's Animation Inn & Suites". If the resort is constructed, the rumor is that it will be be located accross the lake from Pop Century, where phase II of the resort was planned to be built. It will be interesting to see if Disney actually proceeds with another resort given the current economy.

Anyone have further info?

Edit: Here's a link to the permit: http://or.occompt.com/recorder/eagleweb/viewDoc.jsp?node=DOC338S11052

Minnesota!
11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Sweet!

crazy4wdw
11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
A little more info on the "Animation Inn & Suites". The rumors are that Disney is going to rebrand the entire Pop Century Resort. The new section accross the lake would be all suite units and the original Pop Century buildings would be rethemed to different Disney and Pixar animated movies. Supposedly, Pop Century's occupancy levels do not come close to those at the All Stars and Disney is looking for a way to improve reservations at the resort.

Lilolvr
11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
A little more info on the "Animation Inn & Suites". The rumors are that Disney is going to rebrand the entire Pop Century Resort. The new section accross the lake would be all suite units and the original Pop Century buildings would be rethemed to different Disney and Pixar animated movies. Supposedly, Pop Century's occupancy levels do not come close to those at the All Stars and Disney is looking for a way to improve reservations at the resort.That sounds awesome!

DebbieB
11-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Could this be DVC? Wondering why they would have a model room.

RustManFan
11-10-2008, 09:14 AM
And I have heard that people LOVE to stay at POP Century. The suite idea is fantastic. There is little place on property for groups of 5 or more to stay unless at DVC properties or FW cabins (6 max, I believe).

The people that love Alligator Bayou section at POR and have less than 5 people have often been disappointed to get a Mansion room. I'm hoping not to be one of these next November.

Now that my kids are grown and I probably someday will have a SIL and DIL and grandkids along, a suite would be amazing!!!

disnut8
11-10-2008, 09:18 AM
From another board -

Just because a room model is being mocked up does not mean that actual construction will be proceeding, yet it's still very interesting and something to keep an eye on.

bkelly65us
11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Check out this article I found about the animation inn:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2008/11/10/monday-mouse-watch-will-pop-century-be-rebranded-as-disney-s-animation-inn-and-suites.aspx

dburg30
11-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Supposedly, Pop Century's occupancy levels do not come close to those at the All Stars and Disney is looking for a way to improve reservations at the resort.

That pretty much amazes me. I found that very suprising, if true.

edit: Now that I read the Jim Hill article, it does make sense. but I dont know of any of the resorts that are really 'disney themed' If you know what I mean, so that part I didnt quite go along with.

ElizabethB
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Pop Century was 99% sold out when we stayed there, according to the CM we spoke with. Of course, it was during the free dining promotion.

crazy4wdw
11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Bumping up!!

Momto3Girls&Max
11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
It sure would be nice to see them do SOMETHING with the forgotten ..er classic years.

DisCopper
11-10-2008, 04:25 PM
The Jim Hill Media article was pretty interesting.

Pop Century has always had zero appeal to me. It's the only resort at Disney that I've never even taken the time to look at. Maybe I'd change my mind if I did. But I remember looking at pictures of (then) Dixie Landings and saying, "Wow... I gotta go see that." I look at pictures of Pop Century and they just have no such appeal.

The animation theme? Maybe. They'd have to dress it up right... not just fill it with giant plastic Lady & Tramp statues. How about making each area actually look like it's from the animated film? Make the buildings look like you're in Lady & The Tramp, Beauty & The Beast, etc...

Then try to blend them together, so it's an easy segue from each area (like in the Magic Kingdom). In other words, you shouldn't go directly from the cobblestones of Hunchback to the carpet of Buzz and Woody's bedroom.

I also like the suite idea. Disney needs more larger "rooms" for groups of 5 or 6 (other than DVC).

deej696
11-10-2008, 04:59 PM
While I dont put a lot of stock in what Jim Hill thinks is going to happen, I saw the filing on another site as well. While I'm sure Disney builds "test" things all the time, like a mock room, my guess is this is a little further along in the process than what he usually reports on. Going through the time and expense to construct a mock room is a little more credible than reporting that one imagineer said to another "What do you think about "Disney's Animation Inn" which is often what ole Jimmy seems to report on...;)

Lilolvr
11-12-2008, 12:21 PM
It would be good since there are not a lot of options for larger families.

LukenDC
11-12-2008, 12:27 PM
It's interesting that Disney would be thinking of a resort themed to its animated classics while at the same toning down the Disney elements in the decor of its Deluxe resort rooms.

goofy4tink
11-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Could this be DVC? Wondering why they would have a model room.
I would tend to doubt it. I have to think that Disney would do all family suites there in order to fill a need that has existed for years. Many families head to WDW but have trouble finding good accomodations, for a decent price, for their families if there are more than 4 in the group.
I can see Disney doing something with the other side of the lake at POP. It has stood half finished and empty for too many years now. But, I seriously doubt that POP is going to be rehabbed because it has not reached full capacity in the past. POP always seems to be bustling with people. If it wasn't full, or at least a good percentage full, they would just close down a bldg rather than put a few guests in it. That's what they have done at other resorts. POFQ was shut down due to renovations, but it seems that it remained closed due to much fewer guests.

Here's hoping they put in some kind of family suites at POP-the Classic Years.

Cinderumbrella
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I have only stayed at Pop once, but we had a lake view of the unifinished section. There is so much potential over there and this sounds like a GREAT way to finish it and still be in theme with the current side of Pop. Based on what I read here, the ASMu suites seem VERY popular and that would be a great idea for that section as well. :thumbsup2

Laugh O. Grams
11-12-2008, 02:07 PM
FTR, all large hotel and hospital construction projects incorporate a "mock up" room into their plans. The interiors are typically paid for by the subcontractors and the designers/end users make final decision based on the way those rooms look. It's easier to change the finishes if only one room has been completed.

marsrunner
11-12-2008, 02:15 PM
If you read the Jim Hill article, you'll notice he doesn't say they definitely are going to do this, just that they will most certainly do something with the undeveloped area, and this is one possibility.
He points out that they made mock ups of the Animal Kingdom lodge rooms seven years before the resort actually opened!

sharadoc
11-12-2008, 03:07 PM
If you read the Jim Hill article, you'll notice he doesn't say they definitely are going to do this, just that they will most certainly do something with the undeveloped area, and this is one possibility.
He points out that they made mock ups of the Animal Kingdom lodge rooms seven years before the resort actually opened!

How can he be sure it was seven years before it was built? His rationale is that the All-Star room is in the background, right? Maybe they never tore down the All-Star room and used the interior for the Pop decor.

I'm very excited about this possibility. We're staying in a Family Suite in January and I'd love to have more so we can get discounts and be involved in some of the major promotions. I got locked out of the 4/3 one because we're in a family suite, which stinks!

CanadianGuy
11-15-2008, 06:17 PM
First off, I take everything Jim Hill says with a big (grain), (handful), .. no wait.. BLOCK of salt...

That said, I think there's something here..

I'd really be surprised if "low bookings" is the real reason for this move..

But one last thought to keep in mind, it'll take at least 2 years or so to build and finish the other half and at least six months to a year to rebrand and refurb the existing half.

If Disney started this work in 6 months .. they still wouldn't be done before 2011 or maybe 2012 ... Disney will definitely time this such that the work is done while the recession rages on..

Why? In part because it's easier and a whole lot cheaper to get construction work done.. when nobody else is doing any!

:)

Knox

edolyne
02-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Just found this thread and also a follow up to Jim Hill's original article.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2009/01/13/are-disney-world-s-recession-worries-starting-to-recede.aspx

This looks very promising and I am hopeful that this will come to fruition. Myself and DW have really enjoyed staying at Pop and with our expanding family the possibility of suites would be fantastic.

MiaSRN62
02-21-2009, 12:16 AM
Checked out of POP on 2/11 and got into a chat with a CM on the engineering services staff (he was working on all the rooms on our floor in bldg 3). Something with the vents and air filters.

But he told dh and I that a re-themeing would be done starting by the end of this year. Also mentioned the unfinished construction across the lake and he told us that the buzz they were all hearing was it would be DVC family suites.

I take all this with a grain of salt....but just figured I'd pass it along.........

Maria

edolyne
02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Checked out of POP on 2/11 and got into a chat with a CM on the engineering services staff (he was working on all the rooms on our floor in bldg 3). Something with the vents and air filters.

But he told dh and I that a re-themeing would be done starting by the end of this year. Also mentioned the unfinished construction across the lake and he told us that the buzz they were all hearing was it would be DVC family suites.

I take all this with a grain of salt....but just figured I'd pass it along.........

Maria

Grain of salt taken, seems kind of odd to me that they would build a DVC resort in conjunction with a value property. Excited to see what the next year and a half has in store for Pop as we are headed back there in October of 2010.

MiaSRN62
02-21-2009, 12:25 AM
I agree it does seem odd edolyne. But perhaps, in an attempt to get another DVC audience attracted, they would go with a "value type" DVC ? This isn't the first time I've heard this rumor, but it is the first time I've heard it from a CM's mouth. I've read rumors on the internet. The CM told us the construction would not renew for at least 18 months on that side.

edolyne
02-21-2009, 12:31 AM
I will say that it would make DVC much more attractive for me and my family. We have stayed at Pop many times and after pricing out the complete cost of DVC we decided to forgo it as we have been more than happy with the value resorts and 50 years of value resports are much, much less than owning DVC. So if this is the case it should be quite interesting to see how they promote it and what the price to buy in is.

CanadianImagineer
02-21-2009, 05:57 AM
The thing that would seem most logical for me would be for them to keep Classic Years as it is and then make Legendary Years into the Animation Suites. They 'd be sister resorts.. much like the Allstars or POFQ+R. Just my two cents.

redrosesix
02-21-2009, 06:53 AM
DVC at Animation Suites? I'd buy in! None of the other DVC places is for us -- too much like the other hotels we stay in throughout the year, and way too $$$.

Even if they aren't DVC, I know a lot of people who stayed outside WDW this year so that they could have a suite (and they weren't large families) -- WDW must be aware that they are losing those guests. It makes good financial sense to find a way to get them back.

MariaElleršoš
02-21-2009, 07:05 AM
What would happen with All Star Movies?? Would they then change the theme?

Colleen27
02-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Grain of salt taken, seems kind of odd to me that they would build a DVC resort in conjunction with a value property. Excited to see what the next year and a half has in store for Pop as we are headed back there in October of 2010.

I don't know... I think the fact that the newest DVC resorts will sleep 5 in a 1 bedroom tells us that Disney is hearing the complaints about poor options for larger families and realizing that they're losing a certain demographic to off-site lodging simply because of the difficulty/expense of getting a room on Disney property for a family of 5/6. They already have options for bigger families at the higher price points. A lower-cost DVC or moderate-level suites make sense as a next step.

redrosesix
02-21-2009, 07:25 AM
What would happen with All Star Movies?? Would they then change the theme?

Interesting point. I hear from the boards that it's overdue for a rehab anyway. Maybe it will get a make-over too?

KSG'sDisneyMem
02-21-2009, 10:20 AM
I absolutely agree that they need more options for larger families. But if they do a DVC there, and POP changed theming and was re-named a "moderate", what happens to the rest of the folks who really need to book values? THe value resorts were the best idea Disney had as far as making it more reachable for families to take a trip to Disney World. But I personally hope that POP remains a value with the new area being suites, but a value rate suite. Maybe I misunderstand. If it was to become a DVC would it be more affordable to families to buy into this? I guess there is just a lot of speculation out there but when I have booked values, I have often been told no rooms at POP but we could take ASSp or ASMo instead as their were rooms available at those locations. So how can it be that POP is only running at about 80% capacity and the All Stars are running at 95%? I will be watching and waiting to see what happens with this. Thanks for the info OP and others who have posted info here.

MiaSRN62
02-21-2009, 10:55 AM
None of the other DVC places is for us -- too much like the other hotels we stay in throughout the year, and way too $$$.

Really ? I can see the $$$ part....but the themeing is awesome at most of the DVC resorts. AKV and VWL are impressive in it's themeing to us. Not many resorts have animals right outside your balcony.

And did I miss something, did they say they would make POP a moderate ? I agree that making an all-suites resort (whether it's DVC or not), will be a welcome addition. The lack of rooms for families over 4 is why we purchased DVC back in 2000. For years we had to get two rooms and many times they couldn't accomodate us with connecting or even adjoining sometimes.

So I could foresee suites booking up quickly if they're priced appropriately.

tiki23
02-21-2009, 11:12 AM
We love it just the way it is! :lovestruc

I agree with the pp who said that it seems to be POP that always sells out first during promotions. Anything that helps to provide for bigger families is great :thumbsup2 but I hope they don't change the Classic Years theme.:hippie:

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

redrosesix
02-21-2009, 11:57 AM
Really ? I can see the $$$ part....but the themeing is awesome at most of the DVC resorts. AKV and VWL are impressive in it's themeing to us. Not many resorts have animals right outside your balcony.

I agree -- the theming is great at VML -- I'd feel just like I'm at my brother's cottage. :rotfl: I'll give you AKV. But we like the All Stars and Pop because they are a fun place for us. We travel a lot throughout the year, and we stay in a lot of hotels. For us to buy into something, it has to be something different. And it has to be closer to the price we pay to stay at WDW in the places we like.

I agree with you -- making the Animation Suites a DVC wouldn't necessarily make it a moderate. But it would allow WDW to compete with the time shares and suites outside WDW.

dairyqueenmom
02-21-2009, 12:23 PM

And did I miss something, did they say they would make POP a moderate ? I agree that making an all-suites resort (whether it's DVC or not), will be a welcome addition. The lack of rooms for families over 4 is why we purchased DVC back in 2000. For years we had to get two rooms and many times they couldn't accomodate us with connecting or even adjoining sometimes.

So I could foresee suites booking up quickly if they're priced appropriately.

Same reason we bought DVC, we are a family of 6 and with our kids getting older the two rooms, and the family suites where even getting to expensive and too small. We love our two bedroom.

Vickis3js
02-21-2009, 12:28 PM
If they made Pop or the newer section of Pop I should say a value DVC I can't see the price per point cost being lower then anywhere else. If so then they would probably make it non interchangeable with the other DVC's. I's like to see if they are just making a whole new DVC product which it seems they would have to do to make it work. It will definatly be interesting to see.

WALTSAGOD
02-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I would tend to doubt it. I have to think that Disney would do all family suites there in order to fill a need that has existed for years. Many families head to WDW but have trouble finding good accomodations, for a decent price, for their families if there are more than 4 in the group.
I can see Disney doing something with the other side of the lake at POP. It has stood half finished and empty for too many years now. But, I seriously doubt that POP is going to be rehabbed because it has not reached full capacity in the past. POP always seems to be bustling with people. If it wasn't full, or at least a good percentage full, they would just close down a bldg rather than put a few guests in it. That's what they have done at other resorts. POFQ was shut down due to renovations, but it seems that it remained closed due to much fewer guests.

Here's hoping they put in some kind of family suites at POP-the Classic Years.

I can see more suites going over very well.

edolyne
02-22-2009, 12:59 AM
We love it just the way it is! :lovestruc

I agree with the pp who said that it seems to be POP that always sells out first during promotions. Anything that helps to provide for bigger families is great :thumbsup2 but I hope they don't change the Classic Years theme.:hippie:

It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

I have to say we love Pop just the way that it is too, in fact when Pop was sold out I called there atleast once a day waiting for an opening as we didn't really want to stay somewhere else on property. There is just something about the themeing that really seems to draw us there. I am hopeful that they keep it as it is and add the suites across the lake and finish that part of Pop off.

As far as POP DVC is concerned that idea really sounds interesting to me. Right now for the price that they are looking for DVC is not really an option unless they came out with a more "Value" rate. I would say that a way to make it very attractive to families would be to offer a lower point per night price(possibly 4 on the weeknights and 6 on the weekends for a studio during value season) and a buy in of 80 point minimum. Also instead of locking you just to Pop DVC they could allow you to use your points at other DVC resorts but only allow bookings at other resorts 4 or 6 months in advance; this way their higher paying population would have first dibs. The combination of the lower buy in price(effectivly half of what is required now) and a lower maintenance fee per point would make it very attractive to families who are on a tight budget.

Well hopefully Disney is reading these posts and takes this idea into consideration because this would certainly "force" my hand into signing DVC papers, as long as the DW agrees.

RMAMom
02-22-2009, 06:29 AM
I think the "low bookings" theory is way off base! We are staying at Sports next week because we have to stay value this trip and it was the only value with availability!

I love the idea of suites with a value price but I hope they aren't DVC. If they are DVC families will be right back where they are now with very limited choices.

MiaSRN62
02-22-2009, 06:50 AM
I think the "low bookings" theory is way off base! We are staying at Sports next week because we have to stay value this trip and it was the only value with availability!

I wonder about this too ? I had trouble getting POP for this Feb when I tried to book in Oct. Had to stay one of our nights at SSR (nothing wrong with that, just would have preferred to save my dvc points for another trip) and adjust my dates to get 5 nights in a row at POP. Also, in early Dec 2007 had to stay at the Movies because no rooms at POP. When I was at POP in Feb 2007 (Feb 10-14), the resort was sold out. Heard a few CM's state this.

Maria

poggs
02-22-2009, 08:58 AM
The Only way the POP could be a DVC is if the point price was the same but with a slightly hight rebate. ie Ģ115 a point with a $12 per point rebate, but there would be a lower point minimum say 60. Then they could make the points per night lower.

this would be the only way to accomodate a value DVC into the chain. otherwise, disney allows 2 levels of points. If that was the case, I would buy 250 pop points and use them to book whatever 'real' DVC was available at 6 or 4 months out, as I suspect would many others!

All DVC points must cost the same, with only the points per night controlling the value.

Jupiter&Wolfe
02-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Most folks I talk to say POP is their favorite value resort!

I loved POP, and it was my first resort. I'll be a little sad if it goes....even though the new theme doesn't sound so bad at all. Depending on when they start construction...maybe I'll have to plan a quick stay there for one last hurrah.

A little weirded out by the idea of it becoming a Moderate though? It's still a good distance from the parks compared to the other, more expensive resorts. And it just seems to fit the theme of the Values....I'm not sure how that would work out? :confused3

hearts8701
02-22-2009, 09:59 AM
pop has more rooms than the all stars but sells out quickly so someone is staying there
i love it i asked my adult children to pick any resort to stay for christmas all three picked POP

Colleen27
02-22-2009, 10:25 AM
If they made Pop or the newer section of Pop I should say a value DVC I can't see the price per point cost being lower then anywhere else. If so then they would probably make it non interchangeable with the other DVC's. I's like to see if they are just making a whole new DVC product which it seems they would have to do to make it work. It will definatly be interesting to see.

I would assume that what they would do is have the same per point cost, but lower points per night for booking and probably a lower minimum point purchase. That way it would be less expensive but still interchangeable with the deluxe DVC properties.

MiaSRN62
03-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw
Supposedly, Pop Century's occupancy levels do not come close to those at the All Stars and Disney is looking for a way to improve reservations at the resort.

That pretty much amazes me. I found that very suprising, if true.

edit: Now that I read the Jim Hill article, it does make sense. but I dont know of any of the resorts that are really 'disney themed' If you know what I mean, so that part I didnt quite go along with.

Well....not sure how telling this is in relation to the above discussion, but I tried to book AS Movies, Music or Sports just now for March 19-22. Nothing available. I then inquired about POP and sure enough there were both standard and preferred rooms open. Hmmmm.....I did end up booking POP.

Maria

edolyne
03-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Well....not sure how telling this is in relation to the above discussion, but I tried to book AS Movies, Music or Sports just now for March 19-22. Nothing available. I then inquired about POP and sure enough there were both standard and preferred rooms open. Hmmmm.....I did end up booking POP.

Maria

Thats interesting, when we were booking our last trip Pop was booked to capacity, however All Star Sports was available. I guess maybe it just depends on the time of year?

BrerRabbit_fan
03-04-2009, 06:14 PM
I found the Pop theme very Disneyish but we were right by the Mickey phone. What do the Southwest or Mardi Gras have to do with Disney? Pop was super crowded both times I was there. My only recommendation to the engineers: better soundproofing. I never realized how loud everything is at the values until I stayed at CSR.

MiaSRN62
03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
edolyne : Thats interesting, when we were booking our last trip Pop was booked to capacity, however All Star Sports was available. I guess maybe it just depends on the time of year?

I know Sports fills up for large spring break groups and senior high school trips. My dd's class went there last year----there were about 600 of them at the Sports the end of March into the first couple days of April. So maybe Sports is booked with large groups ?

Maria

JerseyGirl53
03-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I know Sports fills up for large spring break groups and senior high school trips. My dd's class went there last year----there were about 600 of them at the Sports the end of March into the first couple days of April. So maybe Sports is booked with large groups ?

Maria

My DS's senior class trip was at Sports also. There were 650 students from his
class.

MiaSRN62
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
was at *** also

:lmao: I'm pretty sure you have to abbreviate the AS Sports another way so it doesn't get filtered out. Maybe ASSp ? But I know what you meant JerseyGirl53 :thumbsup2

Maria

JerseyGirl53
03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
:lmao: I'm pretty sure you have to abbreviate the AS Sports another way so it doesn't get filtered out. Maybe ASSp ? But I know what you meant JerseyGirl53 :thumbsup2

Maria

Thanks! I realized what I did too late, but went back to edit it. Still getting
used to all the abbreviations.

MinnieMommy07
05-22-2009, 01:58 AM
With the rumor of the Animation Inn, it seems a little redundant to keep the small ASMovies resort down the road... what would they do? All Star Books resort? :idea: All Star Food Resort? (yum)