PDA

View Full Version : 4 at POR Christmas, No AB for us?

txmomto1
11-10-2008, 08:33 AM
We are booked for POR 12/27-1/3, and there are 4 of us. I requested AB, but as it is the busiest time of year, and AB seems to be held for those with 5 in their family, am I correct in assuming we will probably end up in the mansions?

I just read a horrible review of the mansions, and so now I'm a little worried. I shouldn't be though. We've only ever stayed at ASMo and Pop, so it's still an upgrade, right?

maxiesmom
11-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes, you will most likely end up in the Mansion section, but they are far from horrible! I had requested Alligator Bayou for my last stay at POR, and was bummed to be placed in Mansions. But we still had a great stay! The rooms are nice, they are just a little more formal that the ones in the Bayou section. Plus there is the added bonus of elevator in the Mansion sections, the Bayou sections do not have them.

Try not to worry. Even if you end up in the Mansion section, you will still have a great trip. POR is a beautiful resort!

buzznina
11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I read that report too. This may not make you feel better but might help, as you can see by my signature that we love to vacation at WDW:love: and have stayed at a number of reosrts. Once at POR we were given a room that needed to be recleaned because the only thing done was that the beds were made. At CSR we were given a room that had a decent size spill stain in front of the fridge and spill stains on the bathroom door, called the desk manager and asked for it to be cleaned and instead he had us moved to a waterview room:) . Finally our only stay at GF the room had a slight smell of vomit (DW & DD could smell it more then me) and the desk manager came up himself and said it was unacceptable (his exact words) and had us relocated. That is only 3 times out of the last 20 stays, would we go back to these resorts? In a heart beat, actually been back to POR and CSR since then. Here's a tip, if you have a problem with your room cleaning etc..., call the front desk and ask to speak to the manager directly. The manager at CSR told us that if you talk to a CM at the front desk that it rarely gets to the manager level and that we should ask to speak with the manager. I hope this helps.

n2mm
11-10-2008, 04:17 PM
OP, we have stayed at POR (Dixie Landing) 20+ times and always request the Mansions. We love the quietness and cleaness of this side of the resort. Several times we have been put in AB, and just don't like it. I could never understand why they would put a couple in an AB room with a trundle bed. I'm not sure why anyone would think the Mansions are horrible, I guest it's all a choice. I find the AB side to be woodsie and overgrown. I like the fresh and neat look of the Mansions. Please don't fret over where you might end up, it's all good.

Disgirl83
11-10-2008, 10:21 PM
My DH and I honeymooned at POR in October 2006 and it seemed like the resort was very busy but we were placed in a king bed room in AB. After reading posts prior to our trip I felt for sure we would be in the mansions. We really enjoyed AB though we are all for the "rustic" theme. We walked around the mansion area and they seemed really nice too!

kaytieeldr
11-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Just pointing out that you read ONE bad review of this section of the resort - keep in mind, there are over a thousand rooms in that section, and typical occupancy rates are at least 72% - so over 700 rooms occupied each night, and, again, you read ONE bad review :)

HugsForEeyore
11-11-2008, 01:40 AM
I have twice received mansions even when I requested for AB, since I was not in a group of five. Even when asking politely at check-in, each time I got a very firm "No, sorry". The mansions were OK, but I was bored of them so I wasn't too happy to be there (and I got the back parking lot corner of Parterre Place both times, not exactly a central location). I really liked the look of AB and would love to stay there, but nope. :(

But sometimes I think me and Maxiesmom are the only ones this has ever happened to! :confused3 Everyone else and their mothers here on the DIS always seem to get AB (and in Building 14, too) without even trying! Why oh why couldn't that be me! :faint:

aubriee
11-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Three of us went down in Sept, stayed at PORS, and made a request for AB when we booked, requesting buildings 14, 18, or 27. At check in we were told our room was on the back side of Acadia House with a parking lot view. We very nicely asked about being placed in AB and the great CM said to let her see what she could do. She left for a few minutes, came back, and told us she had us a great room in building 18. It was perfect for us. My point is, if you don't get in AB, just ask nicely at check in and see what happens.

carmiedog
11-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Well, if you are booking room only and not doing a package, you could always add an imaginary friend to the reservation to bump you up to 5. (I'm not condoning it...just speaking theoretically.) However, with a limited number of mods/values that can fit a family of 5, I think I'd feel a little guilty wondering if I bumped a family that really NEEDED the room.

I've read negative reviews about ALL the resorts, AB section included. Go and have a great time. Don't worry about the little things and don't go with the expectation that things will be bad.

Funny how I read people worrying that they can't be guaranteed AB because they don't have 5 people. A lot of us 5 people families feel like we're stuck there with no other mod options. To us, the grass is a little greener on the Mansions side...or something like that. :rotfl:

auroralark
11-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Last year I stayed at POR with a party of 4 adults and we were given a room in one of the mansions. Anyway, we all loved it. I didn't find it a far walk from anything, the room was great and the surrounding landscaping and everything was beautiful. We loved it so much we were going to go back there on our upcoming trip before we decided to upgrade thanks to the buy 4 get 3 free promo.

Anyway, don't go by one bad review. I love the mansion section of POR and we'll definitely stay there again in the future. (Having said that, I stayed on the other side of the resort as a kid and I love it then, too.)