PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Thanksgiving dinner or a cabin

Goingtoseethemouse
11-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I just found out that grandma and grandpa and other family members are planing on meeting us on Thanksgiving day at the fort. Sounds like fun huh? Well we are happy that everyone is getting together...but we are stressing a bit! How am I going to feed them all a homestyle THANKSGIVING meal out of the motorhome? We threw around the idea of frying a turkey and smoking one......but thought it would just be too stressful ...plus what if it rained....When it was just us and the kids (5 of us) it seemed easy....but 9 people seems pretty overwhelming (especially since we are bringing the 3 dogs too and the motorhome isn't that big!) So here are my ideas:

1. Find a table for 9 at Trails End
2. Find 9 tickets to Thanksgiving at the Fort
3. Rent a cabin for one night and cook the Turkey in the cabin and eat there!

So, seems like I have it covered.....right??? NO! EVERYTHING IS BOOKED SOLID! In fact, I CHECKED EVERY restaurant on Disney property.

SO- If anyone is canceling a cabin or dinner/ lunch reservation at or around the fort please LET ME KNOW! HELP!!!:confused: :confused:

Leyla

4daubers
11-09-2008, 04:54 PM
For the past 10 years, we camp every Thanksgiving with 2 other families and do a complete meal. Now, it's never been at WDW but it's been in 8 different campgrounds. It's a much beloved tradition now and we can't wait. We have fried turkey, ham, dressing, green bean cassarole, fruit salad, yams, special orange jello salad, cranberries, rolls, relish tray and lots of desserts. Over the years, we know who brings what. It' been our tradition to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Thanksgiving Night. We either watch it outside or all pile into 1 RV to watch. We've watched it at least 10 times and all still gather to watch it.

If you have to...
Can you split up who brings what? That lessens the responsibility. I'd delegate as much as possible. Have groceries delivered. You could have a complete meal delivered from Luby's or a nice restaurant. Or have the turkey delivered and just do the sides or visa versa. Maybe get the desserts from a WDW resort or Downtown Disney.

And you know...if it's hamburgers on the grill at the Fort...it's still a great Thanksgiving. pixiedust:

rdrjj5
11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
We cook a turkey every year at the fort in a showtime rotisserie. Ours holds up to a 14 pound turkey. More than enough for 7 people. We put it on in the morning, go out for a few hours, come back and finish up the side dishes and have our great dinner with little hassle. :thumbsup2

2goofycampers
11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I would keep calling for ADR's, but just in case this will cook a 24 lb turkey.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=203384&pCatg=7243

LarryJ
11-09-2008, 05:26 PM
I would keep calling for ADR's, but just in case this will cook a 24 lb turkey.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=203384&pCatg=7243

For around $40 that seems like a real good alternative.

Larry

Goingtoseethemouse
11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! WEll, I have no one bringing nuttin'! It is all falling on me......but having the meal delivered, the showtime rotisserie and the roaster from Sams are GREAT ideas! Thanks! Any one else have any suggestions or ressies to share?
Leyla

fldisneymommyto2
11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
We always hit the honeybaked ham store and get ham and turkey. We just have to add the sides. Usually we have 2 trailers to cook in, but my parents aren't staying the weekend they are just coming for the day. So we will only have 1 oven which might get interesting. Don't stress it, everybody will be together and that is what is important!

LORNADUCK
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
We just had a family reunion at the ft. We were staying there and everyone else stayed somewhere else. I was in charge of feeding everyone for 4 days, give or take a little. There were 14 of us. One day we smoked a turkey, if you can't do it there, cook it and take it with you cut up. I did salad, you can do sweet potates on the grill. I buy flank steaks and freeze them with all the spices a week or two before, so I just put them in the freezer in the rv and cook that night.

musicmama
11-09-2008, 10:34 PM
We camp over Thanksgiving with my 2 sisters and several other families - have done for many years (we are still the newbies after 4 years). We use a combination of that Rival Roaster another poster mentioned, crock pots, gas grills, turkey fryer and our various camper microwaves and stoves. One thing - the turkeys are never frozen. You might want to order a fresh turkey if you are going to have stuff delivered. That would be comparable to our going grocery shopping either just before we get there or the day before Thanksgiving (and more often than not, Thanksgiving day also).

I see that you are the ONLY one bringing stuff. I'd still go with the Roaster. Does your camper have a microwave? Get frozen veggies and zap them - or make veggies before you leave, freeze and zap them. Does your camper have a stove? You can make your mashed potatoes on that - instant is way more practical than fresh. Does your camper have an oven? Sweet potatoes in a glass pan - but be careful not to burn them!

Good luck! And even if you end up with burgers and hot dogs, at the end of the day - it's your family and you're together. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Skyw
11-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Bob Evans has thanksgiving meals to go. Just an idea....it keeps things simple and cheap.

BradyBz12
11-10-2008, 10:08 AM
We were actually on the road heading to FW last Thanksgiving but I didn't want DH to miss out on a "traditional" meal and didn't want to spend hours in a restaurant. So here's what I did...

Instead of cooking an entire turkey whole, I pre-roasted it in parts, then wrapped it in foil and heated it in the oven. You could also micro it, but you'd lose the delicious crispy skin. (yumm) Not as pretty as that big bird coming to the table, but just as delish!

I precooked all our veggies and stuffing and warmed those up. Break out the cranberry sauce and you've got a meal!

I wouldn't worry too much about this needing to be a "perfect" meal. Figure that your family getting together AT DISNEY for Thanksgiving is reason enough to be thankful. :goodvibes

Have a wonderful holiday!!

Mmketeer
11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
For the past 10 years, we camp every Thanksgiving with 2 other families and do a complete meal. Now, it's never been at WDW but it's been in 8 different campgrounds. It's a much beloved tradition now and we can't wait. We have fried turkey, ham, dressing, green bean cassarole, fruit salad, yams, special orange jello salad, cranberries, rolls, relish tray and lots of desserts. Over the years, we know who brings what. It' been our tradition to watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation Thanksgiving Night. We either watch it outside or all pile into 1 RV to watch. We've watched it at least 10 times and all still gather to watch it.

If you have to...
Can you split up who brings what? That lessens the responsibility. I'd delegate as much as possible. Have groceries delivered. You could have a complete meal delivered from Luby's or a nice restaurant. Or have the turkey delivered and just do the sides or visa versa. Maybe get the desserts from a WDW resort or Downtown Disney.

And you know...if it's hamburgers on the grill at the Fort...it's still a great Thanksgiving. pixiedust:

LOL! National Lapoons Christmas Vacation is a holiday tradition for us too!!

PS
This will be our first Thanksgiving in four years at the fort so I am working on my dinner plans too. We use to just go eat at a Disney resort so hubby can get his non-traditional meal (he hates Turkey) and I can get my turkey dinner. But, we just lucked out and got a cancellation for the fort last month for Thanksgiving weekend and of course the restaurants were booked. Oh well, at least I got my campsite!
So, now I am thinking of ordering a Honey baked ham and just picking up some sides to go along with it. Hubby will compromise with a Honey baked ham and maybe this year will be starting a new holiday tradition. If it doesn't work out for DH and I, I'll have to time to make my dining reservations for next year as I already have my campsite ressies. :)

ram101
11-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Although we never used this to make a complete dinner. I am sure that it would help with keeping things ready. It is simular to the PP's roaster but this one has inserts for 3 seperate dishes. We have used ours to keep cooked foods warm while everything else is cooking but you could prob cook all your veggies and stuff in it too. ( as you can tell I dont do the cookin just trying to help out)!!! :lmao:
If you had 2 you could cook the turkey and 3 sides while still using the oven and microwave in RV for other goodies.

http://www.target.com/Rival-18-qt-Stainless-Steel-Roaster/dp/B000WNNACA/sr=1-1/qid=1226347417/ref=sr_1_1/176-8621818-4497255?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Arival%20roaster&page=1

Good luck!

kpatrick74
11-13-2008, 02:34 AM
I loved the comment about National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Our group name this year for our Grand Gathering is the "Griswold Family's Thanksgiving Vacation". Hee hee ha ha. Just look for a group of 4 personal golf carts. One (ours)is a Florida Gator golf cart, a Harley Davidson golf cart, and two golf carts that are racing schemes. One is white with flames etc. The other is yellow and purple. Watch out if you see this group of golf carts and they each only have one man in them driving and no passengers. I have a feeling they are going to try and race late at night (when they think no one will know:idea: ) and see who has the fastest cart. They have been tweaking the carts the past few weeks!

Okay so back on topic - Thanksgiving Food.

They now make oil-less fryers and they are wonderful. We bought one and it is so much easier taking it with us. No oil, no mess. Even if it rains, you don't have to worry about your oil temp dropping.

As for space being limited to make sides, etc. I have a wonderful crock pot recipe for mashed potatoes. If anyone wants it-let me know.Everyone swears they are the real thing! That frees up some space for cooking.

Go easy on yourself. If no one else can contribute, they can't expect you to put on a five course meal out of a motorhome. Order some pies from Perkins, pop some green beans in a bowl and nuke in the microwave (season with some italian seasoning), make up a salad, get some rolls (the nonbake kind), and cook up some stuffing on the stovetop or you could even use your oven (if you cook your turkey another way) and bake it. Pepperidge Farm has a wonderful recipe.

Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy (could always cheat and buy a jar and heat in microwave)
Green Beans
Stuffing
Can of cranberry sauce
Salad
Rolls
Dessert - Perkins
Bottle of Wine - make that two. One to drink while cooking and eating and the other to drink after your guests have left.

Good luck. And if I can help in any way while we are at FW, since all I am doing is the turkey (which hubby is doing outside) and mashed potatoes, let me know. You can always borrow my kitchen, if need be. Hang in there.

dwluvsdh
11-13-2008, 08:15 AM
I would love your crockpot recipe for mashed potatoes. We will be at the fort for Thanksgiving and that would be one less thing in the oven of our TT. Also what is the name of the oil-less fryer you have. We were thinking of buying a fryer but didn't want to deal with transporting it back home with all the oil. Thanks in advance for the info!!

Goingtoseethemouse
11-13-2008, 02:57 PM
HOOORRRAYYY!! Grandma and grandpa backed out and believe it or not I JUST BOOKED 7 PEOPLE AT THANKSGIVING AT THE FORT!!!!!! JUST NOW!!!!

ITS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!HOORAY!!! CALLING OVER AND OVER DOES WORK!!!!:cool1: :thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :worship: :banana: :cheer2:

KristinU
11-13-2008, 04:04 PM
YAY!!!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
What seating? Maybe we'll see you there!

Goingtoseethemouse
11-13-2008, 04:26 PM
2 pm! HHope to see you there!

kpatrick74
11-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Here ya go "dwluvsdh"

I admit it takes longer than doing them on the stove but the taste is worth it and it doesn't seem like it takes longer because you aren't standing around waiting on them to cook. Mix and go.

Our deep fryer is by CharBroil. It's called the Big Easy Oil-Less Fryer. You can get them at Home Depot and Lowes for about $130. We just bought ours two weeks ago after we saw another RV'er/tailgater with his at one of the Gator games. He was cooking a turkey. When it was done, he brought us some. It was so good. We figured between Thanksgiving and Xmas, it would pay for itself. No oil to buy, no nasty mess to clean up. We cooked two whole chickens in it Sunday night and they were wonderful! We are taking it with us to the game this weekend and doing the same thing. I guess our old oil fryer will be going to the curb on trash day! Here's the link to the website.

http://www.charbroil.com/Consumer/ProductSeriesPromo.aspx?ProductSeriesID=95

Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes

Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 1 hour 45 min
Makes: 12 servings (2/3 cup each)
Ingredients
3 cups boiling water
1 cups milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cut into pieces
1/2 cup sour cream
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups mashed potato flakes (dry)
Gravy or chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Directions
1.Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, mix boiling water, milk, butter, sour cream and cream cheese with wire whisk until blended. Add garlic salt, pepper and mashed potatoes (dry); mix just until blended.

2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 1 hour 30 minutes, stirring once after 1 hour.

3. Before serving, stir potatoes. Serve immediately, or hold in slow cooker on Low heat setting up to 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. If potatoes become too thick, stir in additional milk, a couple tablespoons at a time. Serve with gravy or sprinkle with chopped parsley.

Enjoy and if you see the Blue Gator Golf Cart, stop and say hi! We will be there from Wednesday til Sunday.

dwluvsdh
11-14-2008, 09:21 AM
kpatrick74, Thank you so much for the recipe and info. My husband is going to go today to Lowe's to look at the fryer (my guess he comes home with it :))So now I have turkey and potatoes marked off the list. . . few more things to go! Thanks again!

Go Gators!

KristinU
11-14-2008, 02:11 PM
2 pm! HHope to see you there!

Us too! Hmmm, how to identify ourselves away from our sites??? We could always tape a printout of the lime green mickeyhead name sign to our shirts - front AND back of course :lmao:

Goingtoseethemouse
11-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Us too! Hmmm, how to identify ourselves away from our sites??? We could always tape a printout of the lime green mickeyhead name sign to our shirts - front AND back of course :lmao:

Maybe we can print out our Green Mickey heads on computer paper and put them on our tables!:thumbsup2

4daubers
11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
LOL! National Lapoons Christmas Vacation is a holiday tradition for us too!!

We would be instant friends! I didn't think anyone else did this. At first, one family member seemed a little irritated that we would do this...he now is seated and ready to watch before anyone else. :rotfl:

Sorry...back on topic

KristinU
11-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Maybe we can print out our Green Mickey heads on computer paper and put them on our tables!:thumbsup2

Great idea! I'll print ours out and make a little table tent :thumbsup2

Hope to see you there!

CelticWoman
11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I make regular dressing mix ...(no not STUFFING for your folks from the NORTH.)..and cut up a whole chicken...mix it all together in my crockpot and tun it on....breakfast as usual....dinner time...just nuke some taters..throw some salad together...and warm some rolls...dessert can be made and frozen ahead with other stuff and warmed as needed...I bought a Wolfgang Puck convection oven and use it for large dishes...it can be put outside on the table so room isn't taken up inside...it has 3 shelves so 3 casseroles can be done at one time!!!...