PDA

View Full Version : Switched from WL Deluxe CL to GF Sugar Loaf

liane89
11-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Due to the promotion we switched resorts. I was so looking forward to the nice big room in WL for my husand and I and our 3 children (8, 6, 5). I thought it would be a wonderful change from the Poly CL for the last 5 years.

Now I am faced with trying to get excited about GF. We always wanted to stay there, just never any Club level rooms available when we booked.

So I need some help......
Help me feel at ease with our decision to change to the GF from WL. I could have changed to Poly again, but we really wanted something different.
DS5 is very excited because we again have the monorail, he told me when I showed him the WL "where is the monorail?" I explained, we would use the boat and buses this time, he said "Nope, I'm not staying there". Guess he gets his wish.....

jemgumby
11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Wow, for me it's hard not to be excited about The Grand!!! First of all, it is absolutely beautiful!!! My DD loved the pool with the slide. Also, the beautiful floral arrangements, the sound of the band and the piano player. The rooms are sooo nice and CLEAN! Oh and we really enjoyed the Sugar Loaf CL. THe food presentations were very nice. For breakfast, cereals, muffins, pastries, toast, etc. Afternoon snacks much like scones and such you would find at afternoon teas. The evening snacks, the beef skewers, chicken skewers, asparagus and fresh veggies. Wine, beer in the evenings. Any kind of soft drinks, juices etc. Wow. I am sooo jealous! The little bunnies that wonder around the resort grounds and let you get just close enough and then run away. It is just such a calm, peaceful, elegant but not snobby at all resort. I hope I helped ease your fears. Have fun!

mmmears
11-08-2008, 11:42 PM
The GF is a great place, and staying in the main building will be so convenient. We love the place, and so does our DD.

We're trying Poly LVCL simply because we want to try something new, so I understand what you're feeling. I still keep thinking we should move back to the GF because we know we love it there, but I think it's great to try new places, too.

The feature pool at the GF is really nice, and it's never been crowded when we've stayed there. And the "quiet" pool used to be the main pool, so it's huge.

You'll still have the monorail, the EWP & fireworks from the hotel, and the beach.

I really think you'll be happy there!:cloud9:

lvloopingbag
11-09-2008, 03:53 AM
The transportation alone is worth the switch. We stayed on the club level at the WL this past summer. It was nice, but not like the GF club level. They offer a lot more food out in the Sugar Loaf building.

GailT
11-09-2008, 06:02 AM
I have never stayed there but I would be really excited about that switch, I don't think I'll ever be staying there and I am shooting for staying at every Disney hotel before I, well you know what I am thinking. Have a FUNtastic time, what more could you ask for, get excited , that is so worth it, you are lucky :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

HARASW
11-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Those are the 2 resorts at which I have stayed. They are both wonderful in their own ways.
You are going to love the elegance of the GF, Sugar Loaf Concierge is really nice with lots of food and drinks available all day, monorail, nice shops in hotel, lots of photo ops all over the grounds, 2 pools, beach, view of fireworks and electric light parade, great restaurants and so much more!

Alicnwondrln
11-09-2008, 06:21 AM
the gf is awesome !!
What type of room did you have at the WL?

liane89
11-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone for the reviews!!
We are excited about GF, but I guess since I haven't seen very many reviews from the people on the Sugar Loaf club (mostly on the main building) I was feeling a bit off. I think also, since we aren't the type of family that gets "dressed up" for disney, I felt that it might be a bit to stuffy for us, we are a jeans type of family, not khakis and izods. :)
We were supposed to stay in the Deluxe Room at WL (which is basically a suite), so I guess I was excited about having a bit more space for us and our 3 children....but you are all right....it's the GF...I am excited !!

Thanks again

HARASW
11-09-2008, 08:22 AM
We are excited about GF, but I guess since I haven't seen very many reviews from the people on the Sugar Loaf club (mostly on the main building) I was feeling a bit off. I think also, since we aren't the type of family that gets "dressed up" for disney, I felt that it might be a bit to stuffy for us, we are a jeans type of family, not khakis and izods. :)
We were supposed to stay in the Deluxe Room at WL (which is basically a suite), so I guess I was excited about having a bit more space for us and our 3 children....but you are all right....it's the GF...I am excited !!

Thanks again

We stayed in SLC for 8 years. It was a wonderful experience.
Don't let the hotel fool you. You can dress as comfortably as you'd like and still fit in just fine. Everyone dresses differently.

DonaldDoleWhip
11-09-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks again
1. Sugar Loaf concierge is really great, don't worry about the lack of reviews. In fact, during my July 08 trip we were given the special privilege of access to both lounges every day. SL and RPC have exactly the same food all the time, and Sugar Loaf is probably the second closest outer lodge to the main building, so it's a great location.

2. Don't worry about having to be too "dressed up" at GF. I walk around in cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, and there's always people in jeans and a mickey mouse t-shirt. Maybe the hotel doesn't seem as "casual" as Poly or WL, but you can definitely dress as you like and you'll totally fit in. GF is still very Disney.

3. GF is my favorite hotel. You'll love it! Sugar Loaf is as good as the main building (besides different locations), you're literally one monorail stop away from the Magic Kingdom, and the location on the Seven Seas Lagoon is great. If you still want to check it out, you can take the boat from MK to Wilderness Lodge.

mmmears
11-09-2008, 10:39 AM
We stayed in Sugar Loaf and loved it. It's quieter than the main building (and I like it quieter). The building is right next to the main lobby and very close to the old main pool (which is now the quiet pool) which is huge!

In SL, the concierge desk & the lounge are in lobby of the SL building. That makes is extra convenient to ask questions on your way in or out, as well as grabbing a bite to eat or drink on your way to or from your room.

We really liked it. I know some people say it's not nice, but I think it is. The food service is good, the CMs we had there were so helpful, and it felt like a tiny hotel within the hotel.

I would stay there again, happily.

As for the GF being formal or anti-family, it just isn't. We've stayed there with a toddler a couple of times. People wear the same clothes that everyone else in the theme parks are wearing. In the lounges, people drop in after a day at the parks, on their way to their rooms. You can imagine that they are not dressed formally at all.

You will see people in the main lobby all dressed up. They are either going to V&A's for dinner, or most likely there for a wedding (they get lots of wedding parties there). It's Disney, there's no dress code, and people are on vacation -- dont worry about what you're wearing!:)

mickey2minnie1
11-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Enjoy the Disney Magic there! I am excited for you!!!!