PDA

View Full Version : Would you pay $1k more for AKL-Conc than POR?

Terapin
11-08-2008, 05:41 PM
We currently have two reservations. One is for POR AB with deluxe dining and the other is for AKL concierge with deluxe dining. We loved the DxDP last year and really think that works best for us. (Last time we went for 9 nights and ate at TS restaurants all but 2-3 times. Loved the break, sitting down, and the food was miles better than what we saw on the CS side of things - we like to eat healthy).

We are planning to stay for 7 nights. We have a 10 year old, 9 year old and a baby less than 2, and two adults. Is the upgrade worth it? We'd like to be frugal, and the trip will be mostly paid with cash before we go. The difference is about $1000 bucks. Please help me decide! We will have a van while we are there. We are fine with reasonable bus rides. We stayed at WL last year and liked it a lot. I liked the luxe feel and the room size (we were also upgraded to a fantastic ground-floor room by the pool after booking standard view). I also like keeping my money! Both were booked with the 4+3 special, and otherwise we wouldn't want to spend the extra for AKL unless we had really had a good year!

At AKL concierge you are guaranteed a savannah view, yes? And it is 2 queens or 2 queens plus a day bed? I like all the extra perks of the concierge, but just not sure we should be all spendy. And the mods don't have a fridge, right? We like coffee.

Thanks for your help and input!

Terapin
11-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Actually, it's more like 1200 more. I think I know the answer to my own question! AKL looks like a beautiful lodge, but...

mmmears
11-08-2008, 06:31 PM
A good compromise is AKL without the club level -- since you want to DxDP, you wouldn't really need all that "free" food in the lounge anyway. I would one or the other (IMO).

The rooms at AKL are 2 queens, no daybed. They do have a frig and a coffee maker.

ADisneyQueen
11-08-2008, 06:35 PM
For me, I would not spend it. My trip is not about what we can afford (we could stay anywhere) it is about what seems like a reasonable amount to spend. If you are getting the deluxe dining, I am assuming you don't need all the snacks from concierge? What perks are you looking forward to?
If I was going to spend more, I would get a one bedroom villa so we could have more space. We are spending the 7 nights at CBR and then moving somewhere offsite to a 2 BR condo and doing non- Disney stuff. But, everyone has their own idea of what is important to them.
I always tell my kids that what we don't spend this time can go toward our next trip! I

EnnEss
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Why does it have to be concierge? I think its definately worth the upgrade but you i'd do something other than concierge.

memphismovin
11-08-2008, 06:45 PM
The concierge makes a trip extra special by making you feel at the top of the world. We stayed there concierge a few thanksgivings ago and it allows you an escape from everyone that you can't find outside that level at any of the deluxe resorts. We certainly can't afford it everytime but its a nice treat once in a while. We've also stayed concierge at the Contemporary and found that AK does it better of the two. It is a splurge that you should take advantage of only if you can afford it without taking away from the rest of the trip. Worth the money...just a matter of whether its practical for your family for this trip. I would choose AK against the other any time lol

bookwormde
11-08-2008, 07:12 PM
If it were me, I would keep the AKL concierge and cancel the dining plan. We eat light and healthy and the food available with concierge (WL) was enough that we did not even need anything else.

bookwormde

IWISHFORDISNEY
11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
I would take the AKL CL and the regular dining plan. They have a great spread in the lounge for breakfast and you would be able to book the Sunrise Safari which is really one of the best experiences on all of property IMO. The CL staff at AKL are also some of the best onsite. The evening offerings were from JIKO and Boma and would be enough to fill you for dinner. The wine offerings were fantastic. Can you tell we loved our two stays there. Totally worth it. They fussed over our son, gave him little toys every day. The latte machine and real coffee was awesome. They booked us ressies when we had to change some things around. I really can not say enough about Don in IPO or the lounge staff. Outstanding is the word that comes to mind. If we didnt need so many rooms this time around we would be staying there again. BWI CL is also very nice and second just behind AKL. If it wont break the bank go for it.

MickeyNicki
11-08-2008, 07:35 PM
My answer is no and the reason I say that is because we do not care for the location of the resort...we just stayed AKL CL for 4 nights in Oct (got the 40% off code) and while we really enjoyed the CL service and the Sunrise Safari was amazing and totally worth it I would not pay $1000 more for it....for another deluxe resort sure because of location to the parks but not AKL...we did not like being so far away from the action.

Now we did use the AKL CL for breakfast every day, that was great for fruit and bagels and such and we did tea time for a cookies and stuff and once for dinner and actually made a full meal out of the offerings...all was amazing

The Savanah room was terrific, despite the ongoing construction we saw a ton of animals starting at 9am until 5pm...it was great. We had a room on the third floor on the Zebra Trail, king bed but it was a handicap room so it was a super humongous bathroom and the bedroom area was a bit small.

The AKL lobby is non stop craziness from early morning until noon then it gets nice and quiet until around 4 and then it is nutso again. When you are chilling on the 6th floor lounge you do not hear anything so you feel completely removed from the madness

The IPO's were fantastic, they helped me out a ton with planning.

MKFan-PR
11-08-2008, 07:37 PM
I would also vote for AKL without CL, since you're doing the DxDP. That money is the one that would be more likely to be wasted. What would be the difference with just Savannah view instead of CL? Maybe that would be more reasonable.

You'll love both, but if for a reasonable amount more you can get a Savannah view (especially during the 4+3 promotion)... that's a chance that doesn't come often!

kaytieeldr
11-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't know if this will have any effect on your decision, but just to clarify: You have a reservation at POR, with a request to be located in the Alligator Bayou section. Alligator Bayou isn't a bookable category - and since your fifth person is under three, you count as a party of four, iow, not necessarily in need of a five-person room.

bgirl29
11-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh and the mods do have fridges and coffee makers. Just so you know.

mbanks21
11-08-2008, 08:42 PM
Just so I understand... youre double booked? Meaning the same people have two reservations for the same time? I sure hope Disney doesnt cancel BOTH your reservations or that a family isnt looking to go at the same time you are but cant find a room available

ABCanada
11-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I would go with the AKL concierge and either the regular dining plan or consider one of you getting an annual pass and the DDE (now Table of Wonders?)
I much prefer the hotel style of AKL to the motel style of POR. Beds are much more comfortable at the deluxe. Also AKL has lots of activities for the kids.

With the concierge we have breakfast there, eat one TS and snacks and then the "free" nibbles (with wine or beer) in the evening. The nibbles are only out at certain times so if you are not at the hotel then you will miss them but I suspect with a < 2 yo you take breaks during the day.
The concierge lounge would give the older children a place to read or watch TV while the younger one is napping.
Also remember to include the cost of tips in your comparison when including the DxDP. Tips on 3 TS / day can add up.

auntie
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
I don't know if this will have any effect on your decision, but just to clarify: You have a reservation at POR, with a request to be located in the Alligator Bayou section. Alligator Bayou isn't a bookable category - and since your fifth person is under three, you count as a party of four, iow, not necessarily in need of a five-person room.

You are absolutely correct. They are NOT guaranteed an Alligator Bayou room. That area of the resort is also nicely refurbished, and MUCH nicer than the Magnolia Bend area. We were there last week, and had an absolutely horrible room in the Magnolia Bend area. We had requested Alligator Bayou. They told us those rooms were ONLY for families of five. I was traveling with my older son. He asked the clerk.."you mean to tell me that all of those rooms in Alligator Bayou are only occupied by families of 5?" Clerk shakes her head "yes". Long pause..and she gets a manager. Manager says that there wasn't one availabe that day..but would be the following day. Gave us a room in Magnolia Bend area (which we didn't get into until 5 pm..we arrived at the resort at 9;30 am). Okay..the room was FILTHY..DISGUSTING. In desperate need of refurbishement. Old worn chipped furniture. Soda stains dripping down the walls..dead bugs smashed on the bathroom ceiling. Slimy,moldy shower heads, stains on the rug..stains on the mattreses. Turned down the bed to find graffiti on the comforter. Yep..it was actually signed "jeana was here". Makes ya wonder what else was there. This HAD to be seen everyday by the housekeeping staff. We checked out the following morning and went to the Wilderness Lodge. My advise to you is to go to AKL or ANYWHERE else than POR. You are absolutely NOT guaranteed a room in the Alligator Bayou section, and will have to fight to get one. You don't want to start your vacation off like that.
We did visit the Caribbean Beach food court a couple of times..and that resort appeared freshly painted, and the rooms appeared bright and cheerful. The new pool was also fabulous. They have a terrific play are for kids seperate form the pool. If I were choosing a moderate..I'd go with Caribbean..and stay far away from POR. I hope to be able to get pictures of it on the computer by tomorrow. I have been visiting Disney since '91..and I couldn't believe this was a Disney resort. Just horrible.
While I'm not huge fan of AKL due to the location..and frankly I'm not into the whole animal theme for my vacation. I'd choose it over POR in a heart beat. I'd also recommend the WL for it's proximity to the MK, and for what it offers in amenities. You also have the water launch to MK..and water craft to rent on Bay Lake. Also the Electric Water pagent on Bay Lake is nightly..and the kids love it. RUN ..don't walk away from POR.

Kimberle
11-09-2008, 08:26 AM
I have stayed at both AKL concierge (last year) and POR(this Aug). I would choose AKL over POR if you can comfortably afford it.

All concierge rooms are savannah view. They face the large interier savannah. Ours was on the zebra trail. They are also on the 4th floor. The lounge is on the 6th floor. You do get quite a bit of food here as well. It might be overkill to do the deluxe dining plan.

POR is a very large spread out resort. In my opinion, it really needs a makeover as it's showing it's "age". We, too, had housekeeping issues. I found the outside hallways rather strange. It felt like we were in a cave as we didn't open our shades. (Don't like people looking into our room.) The buses generally have 5 stops, as well, which adds to your transportation time.

All mods and deluxes have fridges and microwaves.

Terapin
11-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. You've given us a lot to think about. We loved the DxDP last time - but we have to figure out our priorities I guess. I loved the luxe feel of nice hotels, and if I were in a shabby room I would be very disappointed.

Yep, we are double-booked at this time. It's a short-lived situation until we figure out what we are doing and I paid the deposit, and so am within my rights to do so. Both resorts have our dates available still, I know because I have been plugging in different combinations (dining, concierge, etc) and availability is still there.

I went to bed last night thinking that I was definately going save the bucks and go POR, but now I am not sure!

My one concern is sleeping. My baby sleeps with us, so I would be in one bed with him, and that leaves one bed for the two kids and Papa. Maybe we need to bring an air mattress. POR-AB appealed to me for the trundle bed, but if we couldn't be guaranteed that two doubles would be mighty squishy. I am concerned that the room size at POR would also be an issue as we'll have a stroller and it seems a bit tight when you come in the door. And there are no elevators. At AKL that won't be an issue.

Anyhow, thanks for considering my options! I appreciate the feedback.

Loverly
11-09-2008, 09:19 AM
We had a king room at AKL with a sofa that turned into a double bed. That might help you? There was also a port-o-crib in the closet

milmore104
11-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Before the new package came out I had a trip booked @ POP w/ the DxDDp for $3900. When the package came out I wasn't able to switch it over because the values were booked. So I opted for AKL for $4900 $1000 more than I had intended to pay. I am having hesitations as well making this leap. Although it is our families favorite resort $1000 is a lot of $. However POP and AKL are very different resorts. I feel your pain in making this choice. I'm actually considering moving our dates so we can have it all. Good Luck!

Terapin
11-09-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm liking the king/double sofa idea. On the website it says king/day bed. But it's a sofa bed? Otherwise concierge it is queen/queen or queen/bunk? Do I have that right?

I am leaning towards AKL-club with regular dining now. My poor dh thinks that I am obsessed - it's true. I just like planning and thinking about our terrific vacation to come.

One question: does the concierge morning food stuff have any protein, or just plain bagels and fruit? Dh likes a lot of protein in the morning and believe it or not, this is a point of contention against AKL for him!

cheerforchelsea
11-09-2008, 12:35 PM
It would not be worth the extra $1K to me....AKL is nice but not that nice.

MerissaAndMomLoveDis
11-09-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm liking the king/double sofa idea. On the website it says king/day bed. But it's a sofa bed? Otherwise concierge it is queen/queen or queen/bunk? Do I have that right?

I am leaning towards AKL-club with regular dining now. My poor dh thinks that I am obsessed - it's true. I just like planning and thinking about our terrific vacation to come.

One question: does the concierge morning food stuff have any protein, or just plain bagels and fruit? Dh likes a lot of protein in the morning and believe it or not, this is a point of contention against AKL for him!

MickiNicki posted on the previous page of this thread. Look at her October 2008 LIVE report--she posted tons of pics of the food offerings at the AKL concierge lounge. I think you will find your answer there and really help out with your decision. With all of that food in the concierge lounge(lots of choices morning noon and night) I think you could easily downgrade to the regular dining plan, save that money, still be plenty full, and the cost difference would be much less between AKL with regular dining vs. POR with deluxe! And if he did not find enough "protein" in the lounge in the mornings for breakfast, he could run down to Mara food court and get some "protein" for his breakfast and bring it back up to the lounge to eat with the rest of the family, thereby only costing your family one counter service credit for breakfast. Just some thoughts, hope it helps!

Terapin
11-09-2008, 01:15 PM
You're right. The difference between POR + DxDP and AKL-club is only about 450 which is doable. Thanks!

livie1205
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
I would do AKL club and reg ddp....I LOVE AKL and would think it is well worth the extra money over POR! We are staying AKL club level in dec I got it for 200.00 a night!!!! I cant wait to go....I hope you have a great trip.
oh and you ARE right you paid for your deposit so you have every right to be booked in both places...:)

3amigos
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
We have stayed at both places though not in concierge. I would pick POR over AKL. AKL is beautiful but I much preferred POR, much more to do for outside activities etc... I am sure you will be happy with whatever you pick.

uconn01001
11-09-2008, 04:53 PM
We currently have two reservations. One is for POR AB with deluxe dining and the other is for AKL concierge with deluxe dining. We loved the DxDP last year and really think that works best for us. (Last time we went for 9 nights and ate at TS restaurants all but 2-3 times. Loved the break, sitting down, and the food was miles better than what we saw on the CS side of things - we like to eat healthy).

We are planning to stay for 7 nights. We have a 10 year old, 9 year old and a baby less than 2, and two adults. Is the upgrade worth it? We'd like to be frugal, and the trip will be mostly paid with cash before we go. The difference is about $1000 bucks. Please help me decide! We will have a van while we are there. We are fine with reasonable bus rides. We stayed at WL last year and liked it a lot. I liked the luxe feel and the room size (we were also upgraded to a fantastic ground-floor room by the pool after booking standard view). I also like keeping my money! Both were booked with the 4+3 special, and otherwise we wouldn't want to spend the extra for AKL unless we had really had a good year!

At AKL concierge you are guaranteed a savannah view, yes? And it is 2 queens or 2 queens plus a day bed? I like all the extra perks of the concierge, but just not sure we should be all spendy. And the mods don't have a fridge, right? We like coffee.

Thanks for your help and input!

Why do you have two different reservations booked for the same time period? That in my view is kind of greedy and is actually preventing someone that might want to either have the AKL concerige or POR from booking a room if they really want one because it is completely full. I think you should cancel one and let someone else have a chance to even Disney.

Terapin
11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Why do you have two different reservations booked for the same time period? That in my view is kind of greedy and is actually preventing someone that might want to either have the AKL concerige or POR from booking a room if they really want one because it is completely full. I think you should cancel one and let someone else have a chance to even Disney.

Nope, it isn't. Neither resort is full for my dates for the categories I booked. :goodvibes

uconn01001
11-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Nope, it isn't. Neither resort is full for my dates for the categories I booked. :goodvibes

But still why book two resorts in the first place I really think that is greedy.

Terapin
11-09-2008, 05:16 PM
But still why book two resorts in the first place I really think that is greedy.

I don't understand your point of view. In what way greedy? Sometimes when my mom orders clothes from Sears she orders sweaters in two sizes, and sends back the one that doesn't fit. Is that greedy too? :confused3

uconn01001
11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
I don't understand your point of view. In what way greedy? Sometimes when my mom orders clothes from Sears she orders sweaters in two sizes, and sends back the one that doesn't fit. Is that greedy too? :confused3

You only plan to stay at one resort right? So what is the point in booking 2 resorts for the same time?

livie1205
11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
As long as she pays for her deposit then disney thinks it is ok then its ok,if she cancels when she decides then someone else can snatch it up...there are always people that decide to go at the last minute.I booked 3 rooms when I made my resi then later gave a room to my parents as a gift (because I had a 40% off code) and let are friends take the 3rd and they just put their name on the resi with no problem.If she has the money to book two rooms then they are hers she got them first.I do not think it is greedy at all.

uconn01001
11-09-2008, 05:44 PM
As long as she pays for her deposit then disney thinks it is ok then its ok,if she cancels when she decides then someone else can snatch it up...there are always people that decide to go at the last minute.I booked 3 rooms when I made my resi then later gave a room to my parents as a gift (because I had a 40% off code) and let are friends take the 3rd and they just put their name on the resi with no problem.If she has the money to book two rooms then they are hers she got them first.I do not think it is greedy at all.

If she is giving away the second room to family/friend, then that is different. But if she is holding both rooms and is only planning to occupy one, then she is still preventing some other family the opportunity to have that second room that more then likely not going to occupy. Plus you have to have it paid in full 45 days before, so how would she get the deposit back on the room she cancels.

anthony2k7
11-09-2008, 05:45 PM
If it were me, I would keep the AKL concierge and cancel the dining plan. We eat light and healthy and the food available with concierge (WL) was enough that we did not even need anything else.

bookwormde

That would be my recomendation as well.

We generally had a late-ish breakfast in the lounge and then hit the parks and then paid for a table service meal for around 4-5pm, and then hit the parks again or downtown disney afterwards in the evenings. If we were hungry again later then we'd have more in the lounge. So all we really paid for was one table service meal a day, but we had the flexibility of eating offsite (citywalk usually!) for the odd day without feeling like we were wasting DDP credits. However, we are light eaters.

Terapin
11-09-2008, 05:59 PM
If she is giving away the second room to family/friend, then that is different. But if she is holding both rooms and is only planning to occupy one, then she is still preventing some other family the opportunity to have that second room that more then likely not going to occupy. Plus you have to have it paid in full 45 days before, so how would she get the deposit back on the room she cancels.

I'm still not sure where you are going with all this, but I'll give it one more try. We are planning to go in March - I've paid a deposit on both rooms. As long as I cancel one before the end of January I will get my deposit back. My plan is to decide this week and cancel one this week. That leaves 3+ months before we go for that room to be available to other families. At this time neither resort is full and so my actions have *zero* effect on any other family trying to book at this time. Morally, there is no issue here. By policy, there is no issue. My intention is to book the resort that works the best for my family, and in temporarily keeping both reservations, I have the ability to choose.

Anyhow, I hear you that you think it's "greedy" to temporarily hold two rooms. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - that's the way it goes.

Terapin
11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
That would be my recomendation as well.

We generally had a late-ish breakfast in the lounge and then hit the parks and then paid for a table service meal for around 4-5pm, and then hit the parks again or downtown disney afterwards in the evenings. If we were hungry again later then we'd have more in the lounge. So all we really paid for was one table service meal a day, but we had the flexibility of eating offsite (citywalk usually!) for the odd day without feeling like we were wasting DDP credits. However, we are light eaters.

Thanks! All the suggestions are in my inventory. Dp and I are discussing this tonight or tomorrow. I suggested the upgrade would be my xmas present - I think that's the way we are going to lean - AKL Club with the regular dining plan. With the kids we like to have a sit down place in the parks at least once a day and plan on spending a good portion each day away from the resort, so we need some kind of dining plan, or "eating plan" as I like to call it! :cheer2:

LindaBabe
11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
My vote is AKL concierge and down grade the dining plan. There are lots of activities for kids at the lodge, and with a baby you may be spending more time at the resort so the extra space will be welcome. The pool is wonderful, and the concierge is the best, imo.

livie1205
11-09-2008, 08:47 PM
:thumbsup2 I'm still not sure where you are going with all this, but I'll give it one more try. We are planning to go in March - I've paid a deposit on both rooms. As long as I cancel one before the end of January I will get my deposit back. My plan is to decide this week and cancel one this week. That leaves 3+ months before we go for that room to be available to other families. At this time neither resort is full and so my actions have *zero* effect on any other family trying to book at this time. Morally, there is no issue here. By policy, there is no issue. My intention is to book the resort that works the best for my family, and in temporarily keeping both reservations, I have the ability to choose.

Anyhow, I hear you that you think it's "greedy" to temporarily hold two rooms. Everyone is entitled to an opinion - that's the way it goes.

megwilliams
11-09-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd go with AKL concierge in a heartbeat. When we stayed there in 2004, I liked PO-R okay. However, lately I've heard more bad than good about the resort. So much so that it's made me glad that we upgraded to AKL for our Nov/Dec trip. If CL were available when we booked, I would have definitely considered it. As it is, we have standard view as that's all that was available when we booked. I'm considering asking the cost of the upgrade to CL (if available) when we check in.

MiaSRN62
11-10-2008, 07:04 AM
I'd also go with AKL. I love that resort.

And it's nice to have a room connected to a lobby. If you are there and it's a bad weather day outside, you can always walk around the lobby and shops with the kiddies. You can take them to the animal viewing areas to occupy some time. At POR, if it's bad weather, or someone is taking an afternoon nap, you pretty much have to walk outside. Not to mention, for us, a balcony is worth it's weight in gold ! Even if it doesn't have a savanna view, I'll take a room with a balcony any day if I can afford it.

webray
11-10-2008, 07:24 AM
AKL Concierge is the best on property...we love it and would definately do it.
You have to know that we do not like POR at all either. AKL is fantastic!

Terapin
11-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Thanks all - dp and I talked briefly last night and he is on board. What swayed me is that after little one is a bit older, we'd have to book two rooms at AKL and that would be out of our price range. So this is our one opportunity to stay there. Also, the reality check that we could want POR-AB but get the mansions which so wouldn't work for us.

I am thrilled to be going to AKL and have started to set things up there. We will make our final decision tonight and then cancel the things we don't need. Thanks for all of your help!