PDA

View Full Version : Closest beach to WDW

aprilvacation
11-07-2008, 09:12 PM
We want to spend a couple of days at the beach at the end of our WDW week during spring break week. We are a family with two DD. What beach/hotel do you recommend, that would be easy to get to the Orlando airport when we leave? We will have rental car.

CindyKansas
11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Last month we went to one of the public beaches at Cocoa. My brother and his family hadn't been to the Atlantic Ocean and they had a great time. DH and myself went to one of the piers and had a drink while they played. It was an easy drive (we also rented a vehicle) on SR528.

In August, we went to Canaveral National Seashore. I really liked it. A little longer drive but worth it to me.

cjb71870
11-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Cocoa Beach is right.

Shmily1
11-07-2008, 10:38 PM
We love to go to Daytona and it's right at an hour away straight down I-4. We actually love it so much we got married there!!! There is a lot to do there too!!!

BabyRN
11-08-2008, 01:05 AM
We drove from NY and also stopped at Daytona on our way there and then again on our way home...it was awesome! It's an hour away. Someone else recommended Cocoa Beach too, so I think when we do our cruise we will try that one out!

megwilliams
11-08-2008, 01:12 AM
My ILs have a timeshare in Cocoa Beach and whenever we are staying there and drive into Orlando, we always take the Beeline Express. It's a toll road, but not very expensive. Maybe a couple of bucks each way. I just checked the map and the Beeline Express is SR 528. SR 528 takes you right to MCO. We've also taken US 192 to the Space Coast. It's a little longer, as it goes southeast through Kissimmee and St. Cloud, but it's a prettier drive, IMO. It takes you to Melbourne, rather than to Cocoa Beach.

I love the Space Coast. Any of the beaches on the Space Coast would be great for a couple of days away from WDW. If you have a couple of hours, check out the Merritt Island National Wildlife Preserve. It really makes you feel like you are a million miles away from touristy Florida, when in truth, you are just a few miles away from Titusville (also on the Space Coast).