PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian or Poly?

mom2threecuties
11-07-2008, 05:17 PM
I really want to take advantage of the special, and I've narrowed our choices down to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian. We've toured each of the resorts in the past, and love them both. We're a family of 5, three kids ages 11, 7, and 6.
Thanks!
Tricia

momtobrynncess
11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
OMG!!!! We love Poly!!!! We have stayed at both, and our first time at Poly was just last month. I can't even tell you how much we LOVED Poly!!! It is lush and tropical, and peaceful. I know there are a lot of people who are loyal to GF, but frankly it does nothing for me. I don't really care for the victorian theme, and it is just very un-Disney to me. I know everybody has their favorites, and what is un-Disney to one person might be very Disney to someone else. I totally respect that, I am just speaking for myself. We LOVE the atmosphere at Poly, the pools are great, the beach is great, the food is great. We just can't say enough good things about it. I can't really find anything that is a positive for me at GF. Good luck!!!

tripplanner
11-07-2008, 06:44 PM
I've stayed at both and truly love both. Either is great, really. I lean towards the Poly just for the atmosphere. I love those lit tiki torches at night and hawaiian music. That being said, some of my best trips have been at the GF. It's really a wonderful resort.

DisCopper
11-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I've stayed at both, and I'm all for the Polynesian.

I love the island atmosphere.. relaxed, lush, tropical. The rooms were cool... we walked in and went, "whoa!".

The Floridian... eh... it was a great hotel, but not a fun hotel. The Victorian theme was a little much for me. A little too formal. A little less "fun." I enjoyed being there: it made me feel wealthy- it made me feel like I was John Rockefeller in the early 1900's.

The Polynesian made me feel relaxed. It was soothing. It was informal.

I pick the Poly.

Luvamouse
11-07-2008, 07:57 PM
I prefer the Poly primarily for the comfort level I personally feel there. We are very casual. T-shirts, shorts, jeans, etc. While I know we would be welcome at the GF, I would feel woefully underdressed. If you felt like it fit you, then I'd say go with the theming you preferred. I love the tropical feel of the Poly and the lovely grounds to meander around. Just my .02.

Enjoy whichever one you choose!!

T-i-double-g-err
11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Another vote for Poly. We feel very relaxed and comfortable there. We've walked through GF, but the Victorian theme really didn't click with us.

cjb71870
11-07-2008, 08:40 PM
It would be if you like prim and proper, or more laid back. The two have totally different themes. With kids I would also suggest Poly.

pepe2123
11-07-2008, 08:44 PM
GF, I have stayed in both resorts and I love the GF, the service there is so much different compare with other disney deluxe resorts. The rooms are wonderful, the amenities in each of the GF rooms are so much different, for example all deluxe resorts have their own toiletries except for the GF they have an upscale toiletries from H2O created specially for the GF only. I will recommend the GF is so much different and the difference in price between the poly and the GF is not too much. Trust me , go for it!!!!!!!

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa ( DISNEY'S FLAGSHIP RESORT)

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
11-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I would go with the Polynesian.

AGentlRose
11-07-2008, 11:11 PM
I vote for the Poly too. Very warm, welcoming and relaxing. Beautiful grounds.

I originally booked the Poly for our December anniversary trip, then switched to the Grand Floridian. Then yesterday, my DME luggage tags came in, with Polynesian on them, so instead of worrying about will my luggage get to the right place or not, I phoned Disney and changed back to the Poly. Luckily it was still available. Guess it was meant to be.

mom2threecuties
11-08-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for all the input!! It looks like the Poly wins :). My first thought was to book the Poly; I love the tropical feel and the great restaurants there. Then I started thinking about the the GF, which (without this great promotion) we normally would not have the $$$ to book. I think I'll stick with my first instinct. Thanks again!
Tricia

Seewhatimesdone
11-08-2008, 01:46 PM
The Poly is just so relaxing! The GF is beautiful but it's so stuffy. It feels like people are turning their noses up at you