View Full Version : Question for Canadian Parents

11-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I have a client who's travelling as a single parent. She is taking her 21 yo daughter, 11 yo son and 3 yo grandson. Does she need a letter of consent from her soon to be ex-husband to take her 11 yo son out of Canada to FLA? And will she need another letter from her other daughter for her grandson?


11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Definitely need a letter of consent. Check out the government website, it has a form to print out. Have fun!!

11-07-2008, 03:38 PM
My husband is not my dd's biological father (but is in every other sense).
When flying out of Canada (Toronto) we have needed the letters and they needed to be notarized.
The 3 times we have flown from Buffalo nobody has asked.

11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I travel with my separation agreement, b/c that says I have legal custody of him, and a signed letter of consent from my ex (on Border Services website) so they know I'm not running away with him. No one has ever asked to see it until I came BACK from florida and a guard at airport asked to see for first time ever. (um, I'm coming back.....shouldn't someone have asked when I'm leaving the country?) :confused3

Anyway, he said it should have been notorized,(sp?) but since it was from their own website...he just sighed. So maybe the site has been updated saying it should be notorized.

11-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the heads up!! Here the info I found on The CBSA website

Travelling with Children
Parents who share custody of their children should carry copies of the legal custody documents. It is also recommended that they have a letter of authorization from the other custodial parent to take the child on a trip out of the country. Such a letter will confirm that the child is not being abducted or taken against his/her will. The parents’ full name, address and telephone number should be Included in the letter of authorization.

When travelling with a group of vehicles, parents or guardians should arrive at the border in the same vehicle as the children.

Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the children. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or guardian can be reached.

CBSA officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about the children who are travelling with you.

11-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Something else to keep in mind, if the 21 yr old daughter isn't the mom of your friend's grandson, they should get a letter authorizing them to make medical decisions for the little one, in case something happens. I read that tip on these boards and it stuck with me.