PDA

View Full Version : Ft Wilderness & Cabins Accessability

dr28326
11-07-2008, 08:04 AM
We booked a cabin at Ft Wilderness and I use an ECV. They said they will put a ramp up by the steps for the ECV. Looking for opinions and experiences at the cabins & Ft Wilderness regarding using an ECV. Will the rest of the family need a golf cart to get around...it looks pretty large? Also any pics would be great of an accessable cabin.

Cheshire Figment
11-07-2008, 09:34 AM
Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

I can't answer this directly as I have never stayed at FW. However, I am copying this thread over to the Camping Forum with the same title as you may get some knowledgeable responses from the "Fort Fiends" who inhabit that forum.

So look in both places for answers.

becky1960
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
The buses are EVC friendly as they all have ramps and Evc's are first on but last off. Your family will get on with you and you would not need a golf cart as they are used on the roads and the EVC on the sidewalk, but that would be your choice.

Disney is very handicapped friendly, two years our son was in a wheelchair and we had no problems..

pooh4me
11-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Make sure that you had the fact that you have an EVC mentioned on your reservation so that they can give you a cabin that has a ramp. I would also call Fort Wilderness about 7 days before and let them know at 407-824-2900. These ramps are built on the decks and are not something that is added when you get there.
You will not need a golf cart as all the buses are able to take your EVC. When going to the Magic Kingdom you will be boarding a boat which is very easy to just drive it on.
Some of the cabins have a roll in shower instead of a bath tub-shower combination, if you need this option let them know.
Have a great trip. Hope you will love the Fort and the cabins like we do.

mickeyluvr004
11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes we stayed in the cabins in Sept and my DG was in a wheelchair and the cabin that she stayed in had a ramp and roll in shower VERY VERY nice bigger than the regular ones. Very roomy one suggestion if walking for family is an issue ask for a handicap cabin close to the bus stop. the walk isn't too bad but we were like 15 cabins down and after a long day in the parks with little ones that extra walk was alot:). We love the cabins and my DG can't wait to go back in Sept. Have fun:) :) :)

twooley2
12-04-2008, 10:06 PM
This brings up a question I have just thought of If we are bringing an ECV in a small uhaul trailor can we park the trailor with the car at the cabin?

clkelley
12-05-2008, 07:18 AM
As long as they both fit on the driveway comfortably.

If not, there is a large parking lot out at the front of the campground called the "overflow lot" where you can park the trailer. Just be sure to go to the front desk and tell them you need a parking pass for a utility trailer. They will give you one in a large zip loc bag with a zip tie to secure it to the trailer.

twooley2
12-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks.. a bunch.. Now does anyone know if there is something to secure it to as we wouldnt want someone taking off with it. Maybe Im a bit too worried but in this day u can never be too sure. I love the little trailer my husband has a crazy idea to build one later. He likes to build things keeps him busy