PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Great Meal not in Parks

Golden Rose
11-07-2008, 09:22 AM
We have a trip planned in January for a party of five - me, DH, DS (age 3), my mother, and her SO. We are spending the days apart while DH and I take DS to various parks and Mom and SO play golf. We are meeting up every night for dinner at either a hotel or downtown disney location. (We will have a TiW card, so places that take it or have a DVC discount get bonus points!)

I thought we had it perfectly planned and had made all our ADRs in advance... but, now, it looks like we're adding another night to the trip. So I need to add one more meal to our list, and I'm at a loss.

Current dinner plans:
Fulton's Crab House - wanted at least one DD location since we're staying at SSR
Artist Point - haven't tried it, but have heard good things about it
California Grill - a favorite
Jiko - also a favorite
V & A (just for me and DH)

Both mom and her SO are picky eaters. (So's DS, being 3, but I figure we can find chicken or pizza just about anywhere. And if not, there are always chocolate food bars.) They both eat small portions, they prefer healthy, and they aren't particularly adventurous. Buffets don't make sense, and for the same reason, I don't think Ohana makes sense. We had a bad meal at Citrico's last trip, so I've been reluctant to give it another try. They both prefer relatively quiet restaurants. I'd have half a dozen suggestions if they were going into the parks, but I'm running out of ideas! (I'd leave them to cook in the room and have a nice dinner in Epcot if we weren't doing that for V & A the night before...)

Money is no object... well, it is, but we're already resigned to spending it, and we'd rather have quality over quantity. Help!

alyssa810
11-07-2008, 09:44 AM
How about Wolfgang Puck's, at either the west side or the marketplace? They have a huge menu- it's one of our favorites! I am a HUGE fan on the squash soup.

ChelleinNC
11-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Turf Club at SSR :thumbsup2 We've had excellent food & service each time we've been there (and they take TiW). Menu (http://allears.net/menu/menu_turfdin.htm)

edit to add: Yachtsman Steakhouse and Captains Grille--both at Yacht Club or Kona at Poly

cherylp3
11-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd suggest the Wave or the Turf Club

Pakey
11-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club is generally very quiet for a Disney restaurant and the menu is certainly not adventurous.

Personally, I prefer Flying Fish more than most Disney signatures. It can be a bit noisy, certainly not as noisy as Ca Grill. The fish dishes are excellent and I've read other reviews that their non fish dishes are equally good.

CamColt
11-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Before reading the other replies my first thought was YSH. Kona Cafe would be another good choice.

annnewjerz
11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
I would also vote for either Wolfgang Puck in DTD or Flying Fish.

auctionmaster
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Wolfgang Pucks is Awesome!!

You have to go there....

Golden Rose
11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! They give me a few more questions, though...

What is the difference in the different Wolfgang Puck restaurants? Are they all together? (Looks like there is an express, a cafe, and something else?) The menus are different, obviously, but what are the atmospheres like and do they all take ADRs? (Well, obviously, the Express doesn't.)

How dark is the Wave? I seem to recall having heard someone describe it as dark, and that is a huge minus for my mom.

I don't know anything about the Turf Club, although a quick look at the menu makes me think it would appeal to my mom...

Pakey
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! They give me a few more questions, though...

What is the difference in the different Wolfgang Puck restaurants? Are they all together? (Looks like there is an express, a cafe, and something else?) The menus are different, obviously, but what are the atmospheres like and do they all take ADRs? (Well, obviously, the Express doesn't.)

How dark is the Wave? I seem to recall having heard someone describe it as dark, and that is a huge minus for my mom.

I don't know anything about the Turf Club, although a quick look at the menu makes me think it would appeal to my mom...

Wolfgang Cafe and Wolfgang The Dining Room are in the same place. The upstairs is a loft area that is "fine dining" . I'm not a fan of the cafe or upstairs. They are noisy, even the fine dining upstairs is noisy from the noise carrying upward into the loft area. And the food has never wowed me at either. The sushi is okay but there are other places at WDW to get better sushi. I have never eaten at Express.

Turf Club is nothing special. It's okay if you are at SSR and you just don't feel like traveling at all but I would not eat there if I were willing to go out somewhere for better food.

Can't help you on The Wave as we have not tried it yet.