PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best Tuna in tuna in the world?

aaronlisar
11-06-2008, 05:30 PM
We are planning on going to Kona, Coral Reef & Hollywood Brown Derby all have Tuna on their menus but which one has the best one? I was already thinking of having the prime rib at Kona and possibly the duck at HBB. What;s everyone opinions???

Thanks in advance...

Edited to add that this will be my first try of having Tuna other than in a sandwich, I hear it is really good and am excited

jdvm
11-06-2008, 05:51 PM
The really good tuna is at California Grill and Flying Fish
John

aaronlisar
11-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up, I'll try and fit them in next trip.

Uncleromulus
11-07-2008, 05:02 AM
Really can't compare since I've not had tuna at theat any of those spots. But the Ahi Tuna at Coral Reef was pretty good, according to Mrs U.

aaronlisar
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM
OK, thanks. I was leaning towards having it at Coral Reef.

Pakey
11-07-2008, 11:31 AM
I have had the tuna at CR and HBBD and HBBD is by far the best of the two. I have not tried it at Kona.

Personally, I think the HBBD tuna is some of the best I have had, better than at CG (and as good as FF).

BriarRosie
11-07-2008, 11:58 AM
We are planning on going to Kona, Coral Reef & Hollywood Brown Derby all have Tuna on their menus but which one has the best one? I was already thinking of having the prime rib at Kona and possibly the duck at HBB. What;s everyone opinions???

Thanks in advance...

Edited to add that this will be my first try of having Tuna other than in a sandwich, I hear it is really good and am excited

I think the best tuna (that isn't in my favorite sandwich at the Columbia Harbor House, that is) would be served more rare, as in sushi grade style. You'll find that there's a sushi bar outside of Kona, and you should be able to get sushi inside the restaurant, too.

But since you wanted opinions, I wanted to share my opinion about the prime rib at Kona. I enjoyed mine, but I would give serious consideration to the pomegranate glazed pork chop. It was outstanding and put my fairly good prime rib to shame.

Pakey
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
I think the best tuna (that isn't in my favorite sandwich at the Columbia Harbor House, that is) would be served more rare, as in sushi grade style. You'll find that there's a sushi bar outside of Kona, and you should be able to get sushi inside the restaurant, too.

The tuna at HBBD, FF, CG etc is seared which means lightly cooked on the outside of the piece, completely raw on the inside. My last one at HBBD was a huge chunk of tuna, barely seared. It was excellent.

tarheelmjfan
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I have had the tuna at CR and HBBD and HBBD is by far the best of the two. I have not tried it at Kona.

Personally, I think the HBBD tuna is some of the best I have had, better than at CG (and as good as FF).

Good to know! :thumbsup2 I'll have to talk my DH or DS into ordering it. I had the salmon a couple weeks ago, & can't wait to have it again on the 28th of this month. I'm not sure I can convince myself to order anything else. :p Although, we had 4 in our party & everyone enjoyed their meal. It seems like every dish there is a hit. It's a welcome change. We ate there a few years ago, & didn't have a good meal. It took me this long to get my DH back there, & now he's up for 2 meals there in a little over a month. This is proof that change can be good. ;)

OP,
As I noted above, the salmon dish at HBD is delicious. My only complaint was the olives overpowering the rest of the dish. I do like olives, just not with this combination. I pushed them to the side, then enjoyed the rest of this delectable dish. Next time, I'm going to ask them to leave off the olives.

monami7
11-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I LOVE the Tuna Oscar at Kona. It is am absolute must for me. Also the rolls at the sushi bar are great too. The Tuna at Chefs was a great steak but I didn't care for the sauce, it was on the side so I didn't eat it.

allyphoe
11-07-2008, 04:22 PM

I like seared tuna much more than tuna sandwich tuna. That said, the seared tuna salad at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is a perfectly respectable piece of tuna - not quite as high quality as you'd get at a TS place, but when I've had it, the flavor has been very good. So if you don't want to give up a can't-get-anywhere-else dish at your TS meals, you can try the tuna at a CS.

The only TS place I've had tuna was at Chefs de France, and it was horribly overcooked.

alan_renfroe
11-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd have to agree with previous posters that the best tuna would be at the California Grill. But, my real comment is that you should definitely get the Prime Rib at Kona. It is 'melt in your mouth' good. Here is a link to my review of Kona and pictures of the prime rib:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=25755015&postcount=597

(I know that doesn't answer your tuna question, but I just wanted to share that Kona is definitely the place for prime rib!)

matthew_hull
11-07-2008, 10:18 PM
blue zoo at the Dolphin resort.

Simply the best Tuna meal I have ever had ever.