PDA

View Full Version : Is the dollar effecting your trip/planning?

wmp.dll
10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Looking at the dollar today..ouch.

$1.21 to buy one US dollar.

Is that effecting your trip/planning? When we went to Disneyland this summer, the dollar was hovering around par in June and we said "well we will wait to get our currency changed over" When it hit 90 cents in August we couldn't wait any longer. 19 cents doesn't seem like that much, but over a whole trip down south it can add up. Were sort of mulling our trip to Disney World. Were still going to go, but we hope the dollar doesn't get any worse. These days its pretty hard to predict where the dollar is going to go.

minnie56
10-21-2008, 09:03 PM
It should be--but it's not
Just back from Italy..off to Las Vegas on Nov 9 and JUST booked WDW for Dec 14-21
I should curtail it..but jeeeeeeeeeez I love going places!!!!!!!!:cool1:

mkmommy
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Yes but in the opposite way. I paid the Spring Break DCL cruise off in June at 1.03 and I am thinking I should cancel it and get the refund at about 1.20 and book a RCCL cruise at Canadian dollars, but then I think at this exchange rate I will not be doing any more DCL cruises and my youngest daughter still loves the characters.

Charleyann
10-22-2008, 06:23 AM
I had all Disney Hotel and most tickets purchased before hand along with plane tickets and the cruise!

I had some money saved as well. Now it is getting more spending money!

Charleyann

Ted in Halifax
10-22-2008, 07:42 AM
For me .. I am thinking of modifying my plans. Perhaps even staying off Disney.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
10-22-2008, 08:13 AM
Our trip is this coming January. Though our package balance was not due until the last week of November, we paid it off early :banana: (my bosses, two financial planners, saw the writing on the wall and said that the dollar would go down the toilet....thank heavens for some good advice :thumbsup2 ).

We are eternally grateful that we got the dining plan. Most of our food is now paid for, and with two very big eaters in our group (husband and son....not me :laughing:) that will definitely mean a good savings for us. Especially when the dining plan was purchased when the dollar was around 96 cents US, and it looks like we'll be paying $1.20 CDN or more by January.

Souvenir shopping will be the biggest cut-back for us. Our son, who is 12, has a paper route and will be taking a sizable amount of cash to spend, but we adults will likely buy very little. Just a few things to remember the trip....maybe a frame or a photo album (oh yeah, and a deck of Mickey Mouse playing cards for my parents :) ). We had the aforesight to order a good deal of Disney wear (t's and sweatshirts) from the online store just a couple of weeks before the dollar's decline, and have put them away until we leave, so those will feel like souvenirs to us.

We were thinking of adding in an extra TS character breakfast to pay OOP....but now we're not so sure. For the three of us, with tax, tip, and exchange, its going to run about $80 for breakfast :scared1: . Not sure my thrifty DH will go for that!

Just hoping for an extra-good discount to be released (for all of us who didn't get a PIN code :confused: ) to help off-set the crappy exchange rate. The better the discount, the more we can spend while we're there!

shydonna
10-22-2008, 08:19 AM
We paid off our cruise in Sept 2007 ( as the dollar was above par) and have been socking away some every pay...so we are in good shape to go without worrying about our dollar. 57 more sleeps!:cheer2:

grover
10-22-2008, 08:25 AM
I may very well be modifying my plans..thinking about it more each day--would love a moderate--but if it is going to cost even more due to the exchange rate-I will do a value resort. I still want a holiday but it will definately affect what we do & how much we spend.

cabmom
10-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Yes, it did affect my families plans. I've just cancelled our 2 week trip after Christmas. With the exchange it's not going to work for our family of 6.

misslissa
10-22-2008, 09:34 AM
It hasn't changed our plans yet. Our final payment is due in Dec and I'm not sure why we didn't just pay it! I'm wondering if I should pay it now or wait and see if there will be a change for the better...
We are staying at Poly, thinking of downgrading to a Mod depending on what codes or promos might come out in Feb.

cvs2kids
10-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Yes, it did affect my families plans. I've just cancelled our 2 week trip after Christmas. With the exchange it's not going to work for our family of 6.

Out of curiosity, why not cut to a 7 day trip and still go?

bunnyfoo
10-22-2008, 09:43 AM
I've booked the Poly for January and probably should change but I'm thinking it's too late since we're going during marathon weekend. I had planned to go again in March but that trip is definitely on hold unless the dollar improves.

chasbos
10-22-2008, 09:43 AM
No, not at all. But I already have my hotel and airfare paid for and did so when the $ was at even par. This is mine and DH solo trip without the kids so it is not really a big deal.

It would have really added to the cost of our family summer vacation - we toured the southwest (Texas, New Mexico, Arizona & Nevada) with the 6 of us and it was a cheap trip compared to travelling within Canada.

I think this just levels the playing field when it comes to Canada and the US in terms of travel $ that are going to be spent. Canada is expensive to travel in and a low $ makes the US hotels and airlines more in line with our own.

cabmom
10-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Out of curiosity, why not cut to a 7 day trip and still go?

Lots of different reasons, but thanks for asking.

fivebyfive
10-22-2008, 10:24 AM
I still went when it was $1.60, so there's no way I'm not when it's only $1.21. ;)

Even with the exchange rate, WDW is still cheaper than a lot of other vacations. :)

photomama
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
YES :scared: we were supposed to go in April/May now my husband want to delay. All cause of the dollar!!

maxie
10-22-2008, 10:32 AM
We only have food to pay for our February trip. We may have to do more counter service meals and less sit down meals.

emmsmama
10-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Thankfully I paid for our tickets and half of our villa rental back when exchange was excellent so that is a load off, but wow is it hurting to pay what is left for the trip now. We are definitely still going though. I just might cancel a couple of ADR's and we'll have to pack a lunch for the park some days. At least gas prices being lower is a bit of an offset, but yeah, it hurts to have the exchange change so quickly. I'm kicking myself for not buying our Universal tickets and paying off the villa in full a couple months ago.

I Run Long
10-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Definitely! We were going to go next year but everytime the dollar drops it keeps pushing it back. Now I can't see us being able to go before 2011. :sad: It's expensive enough coming from the west coast and then with a low dollar . . . well let's just say that lottery win can't come soon enouhg.

BellyBaby
10-22-2008, 11:30 AM
It would cost an extra $800 exchange for our trip. :teacher: To put it in perspective for us, that's one month mortgage plus a car payment. Disney would have to offer at par to get us back there anytime soon.

When the exchange is crappy, that's when we travel our own country - plus it helps our economy when we need it most. When the dollar is good - we go elsewhere.

Buuuuut, looking for Disney to offer a par deal. :cheer2:

drag n' fly
10-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Fortunately everything was paid off before the dollar nose dived for us. Now it will just be food and souveniers and cruise tips and excursions that we pay for now.....sucky but what does one do?

Susan2771
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
:scared: Ummm yes. Last week we were 80% yes to going at the end of May, then we got the 40% off pin code on friday and we were 90% yes on going. But with the dollar going the way it is, we are now going to make the decision in March since the code is good until the end of that month. The dollar is what's holding us back to calling them up and making the ressie.

glenpreece
10-22-2008, 12:49 PM
I too paid off my balance early because of the dropping dollar now I just need to start getting money changed over.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an at par deal soon. They are even offering specials deals for us agents for the remainder of the year. Since their fiscal year ended Sept 30 if they can get the 1st quarter up then the rest of the year won't hurt as bad.

joech
10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
NO.

We are so glad we bought DVC back in May this year. It would have cost us over 3k if we were to buy it today.:banana:

slg
10-22-2008, 07:55 PM
I have an ABD booked for next July and I'm freaking out. Its $15,000 US for our family of 5, so every day that trip is costing us more and more! I'm hoping the US dollar will drop a bit before we have to make our final payment.

I also have a DCL baltic cruise in 2010, but that's a long way away.

Does it affect my plans? YES! I'll still go on the ABD (unless they cancel due to poor bookings) but I'm cancelling my one night pretour and doing it on my own. I can save about $800 that way.

I will also cut corners in other ways. Cruise, less excursions or cheaper ones, or just on my own...

We will probably still go and less the dollar disappears, but definitely will be getting less money from us overall.

I'm just so nervous about this economic crisis...if I didn't have a non-refundable deposit on my ABD I would cancel.

Teresa Pitman
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
We're going in December, and back when we booked the trip the dollar was pretty much at par. The room (cabin) and tickets are paid for, but we are driving down and will need to buy food and souvenirs once there, so our budget is looking pretty tight now - the exchange rate means everything will now cost 20% more than we'd planned. We're kinda unhappy about it but don't think we'll cancel.

Teresa

NashBridges
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
:scared: Ummm yes. Last week we were 80% yes to going at the end of May, then we got the 40% off pin code on friday and we were 90% yes on going. But with the dollar going the way it is, we are now going to make the decision in March since the code is good until the end of that month. The dollar is what's holding us back to calling them up and making the ressie.

Be careful when doing that, each hotel has only a certain amount of rooms available with that discount, and they might be gone long before the end of march.

Debbie
10-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Yes, I have the 40% as well. I want to book a room before the code comes out in the US. I may end up losing due to the $$ if I cancel, but that will be a chance I take. I am just trying to decide what I want to book. Luckily, I DO have a US $$ account through ING, so I take advantage of the $ when it is high(er) Who'd have thunk that the 91 was going to be a good rate, when I traded some a few weeks ago? :confused3

If DD continues on her quest to go to Dalhousie for marine biology, I may be one of the Canadians headed east next summer. :) If so, I'll need LOTS of help next spring/summer with planning!

Remmy
10-23-2008, 08:25 AM
We are going in January and didn't yet pay off our trip. We were waiting for any deals. So this huge drop in the $ will affect us.

We will now be doing much less and no extras like BBB or any extra meals that are not covered by our credits on the DP. I want to postpone our trip but we promised the kids and DH said we can't break our promise, as well that is the only time we can truly go without much problems from our workplaces.

If Disney doesn't come out with any good codes and the Canadian $ keeps going down we may have to cut our 13 day trip down to a week. We keep hoping for a good deal to come out.

johde
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Even though I'm a U.S. citizen I can feel your pain. I was planning a trip to Toronto this past June. Between the high Gasoline prices everywhere, the economy, and the weak US dollar, that trip got canceled. Now that the US dollar is gaining strength, I am looking at going in June 2009. Unfortunately, I will need to apply for either a passport or passport card before going. Last time I went to Canada was in 2005 and the exchange rate was about $1.20 The time before that it was $1.45.

SydneyFalco
10-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Even with the exchange rate, WDW is still cheaper than a lot of other vacations. :)

Great googly, what other vacations are you taking?

Me, I'm a spending wimp. I'd love to at least change hotels, but the wife and mother-in-law say no.

chasbos
10-23-2008, 10:37 AM
I agree with fivebyfive. We have taken the kids (we have 4) for a week at Disney and on a Disney cruise and they have been 2 of our "cheaper" vacations! For what you all get, it is a well priced vacation IMO.

drag n' fly
10-23-2008, 10:49 AM
I agree with fivebyfive. We have taken the kids (we have 4) for a week at Disney and on a Disney cruise and they have been 2 of our "cheaper" vacations! For what you all get, it is a well priced vacation IMO.

I absolutely agree! We took a 10 day holiday to Vancouver Island this summer and it cost 6000.00. That is staying in Best Western's etc also!:scared1:

It is cheaper for us to drive to Disneyland and spend a week there than it is to go to Vancouver Island. The kids had never been there so we took them. Our dollar will be travelling in other directions now.:goodvibes

thelindysix
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM
We only do a trip like this every 3 or 4 years, so we're going ahead and doing everything we've planned to do, even though it's definitely going to cost us more.

Melmac
10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
When DH and I went in 2004, the USD was around $1.55 CND - that was one expensive trip and there was no dining plan back then! We were not planning to go next year but received a 40% off code which is enticing. It is hard to decide though and there are no guarantees that our dollar is going to rise again anytime soon. We are going to Australia next March and the nice thing is that our dollar is worth more than theirs, however, the airfare kills you (plus, it is in USD)!

leaffan
10-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Just an FYI. Tickets are still being sold at par at the Disney store so even though they are more expensive than some of the discount brokers in the states with the exchange right now it is actually cheaper to buy them here. Just in case anyone needs tickets

Ted in Halifax
10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
The exchange rate is making me rethink where I will stay and what I will do ..

I notice that disney hasn't updated the Canadian website .. they still are talking about the strong dollar.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_CA/special/specialindex?id=CanadianDollarAffordablePage

fivebyfive
10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Great googly, what other vacations are you taking?

Have you ever priced out a family to an island? My SIL booked a trip to Jamaica last year, ran her just shy of $9,000 for her family of 5. This year, she's staying at the Poly for a LOT less.

For what you all get, it is a well priced vacation IMO.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. Compare WDW prices to places such as Niagara Falls and WDW IS cheap. :thumbsup2

chasbos
10-27-2008, 02:21 PM
No kidding fivebyfive - a weekend, yes a weekend for my family of 6 would be over $2000 at Great Wolf Lodge.

5 nights and a 5 day hopper pass at Disney is $3000.

I would spend the extra $1000 for 2 more nights, WAY more activities and the Florida sun any day!

cndnchicky
10-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Yeah I really want to book a trip for November 09, but im not sure what to do yet. I went last in May of this year and it was pretty much at par, so its burning my butt to have to pay for it when the dollar is so low. I guess I will just put down my $200 deposit and hold off and watch the dollar and hope that it goes up!!!!

dis_guy
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
That's where we're at too. We booked Christmas 09 with the $200 deposit back in September. Right about now I regret not paying for it outright. I'll wait and see what flights are looking like before finally deciding. I'll be watching and if the loonie improves, I'll slap a bit more on it later.:confused3

slg
10-27-2008, 03:33 PM
Every day I see our dollar dropping by 2 cents. Where will it stop? I keek thinking that "today it'll stabilize.." but not so far.

Hmmm.

snickerboo
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I think it'll keep dropping for a bit longer then come back up. So long as commodities keep dropping, so will the dollar. I read a report from the Bank of Canada, that they expect it to drop a little further and then come back up, but they don't expect the kind of levels we've had in the past year or two. It's bad for Disney trips that it's low but good for our economy. American companies will want to keep businesses here if they're paying their staff 75 cents on the dollar.

shaycamp21
10-30-2008, 10:30 PM
I am still hoping to go to WDW next summer, but the weak dollar has definitely cut down my regular shopping trips to Buffalo. :goodvibes

disneynovic
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, the dollar is starting to go back up a bit everyday! We leave in two weeks, and are thankful that gas is getting cheaper and cheaper! It will now cost us half the amount I had originally planned for driving down. I still need to change some money, and buy 4 adult tickets, but will wait till after the US election to do that.

F4disneyfan
10-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Nope it isn't affecting our planning at all we just got home and we are allready planning our July trip and then our next Dec trip.

rewok
10-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Yes, it is affecting my vacation planning for next year. I had hope to take 3 separate vacations, just like this year (not all Disney!).

A beach vacation (thinking about Jamaica, but might have to go back to Cuba)
Road trip in the West USA in the summer, which could prove quite pricey now
And I was hoping to sneak a Disney Birthday vacation in September for free dining on my boyfriend! I already booked it on bounceback, at least I'll make money on my refund if we don't go...

ubermama
11-01-2008, 05:49 PM
The dollar has really made us rethink everything. We go every year to WDW. Last year a 7 night Disney cruise and then 10 days in DisneyWorld. Between the increase in the rates for the cruise, there being No great deals for air fare from Manitoba and the dollar we may really NOT go this year. I figured out that the exact same trip at the exact same time of year the same trip is $3000. more this year. That's over my budget. We also were planning to take the Med. cruise but with the dollar I was terrified to commit to a $15,000. holiday.

momlady
11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Well, our flights and the 30% deposit on our condo were paid before the dollar dived the way it did, and I got park passes today from the Disney Store at par so while we still have some expenses to deal with before March, the grand majority of the trip is paid off. What we won't be doing while down there is outlet shopping and other misc shopping!

cndnchicky
11-04-2008, 11:21 AM
:goodvibes The dollar is almost up to 86 cents!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would be happy if it just went to about 90 and stay there!!!

BellyBaby
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Me too! I've been checking the rate almost twice daily :surfweb: ...such an addict! We (I) want to buy a house down there! This rate is costing an extra $20,000 on our downpayment! :sad2: Hubby says....wait!

I can't wait....he says it has to hit at least 90 b4 we proceed!

Oh please keep climbing, poor Cdn dollar! :wizard:

Wazzo
11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I still need to change some money, and buy 4 adult tickets, but will wait till after the US election to do that.

Me too!

Are we thinking (and not just wishing ;) ) that the dollar will go further up because of the election today?

disneynovic
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I was hoping to do alot of my Christmas shopping at the outlets this year when I go down next week, BUT I probably won't because of the dollar. Last year I did ALL of my Christmas shopping in Buffalo, that won't be happening this year. The only thing I need to buy are our MYW passes, and I don't think it's worth an hour drive for me to try to find passes at par. OH!! I do need to buy gas for our drive down, and right now the fuel cost calculator says $370 US, half the price it was in the summer!!

riu girl
11-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Ok , so would someone like to give me their thoughts/opinions on what they think the Cdn $ might do in the next couple of weeks?

I have to pay for a 14 day vacation home rental soon (entire cost since security deposit was not required at time of booking) and not sure if I should pay it now or wait a couple of weeks. Payment is due beginning of December.

Any opinions would be really appreciated.
Thank you

dis_guy
11-04-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know what the dollar will do but I did put $350 on our Dec 2009 vacation today with the dollar around 87 cents. It seemed like a good idea considering its recent levels. :confused3