PDA

View Full Version : Twilight, twilight, twilight....

Zip-A-Dee-Lady
10-18-2008, 01:25 PM
.....I don't get it.

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 01:26 PM
:O:O. You are kidding me, right??

What isn't there to get about Twilight?

ginnygirl102
10-18-2008, 01:28 PM
OMG you NEED to read this book series! It is awesome! It is sooooooo good! Trust me, everyone who reads it falls in love with it.

I Am What I Am
10-18-2008, 01:29 PM
It don't get it either.

valeriesunshine
10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
No offense to people that love it but its just books that make teenage girls want a perfect boyfriend.

Babyjustrun
10-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I used to get it.
I still kinda do.
But I don't like them anymore.

DramaQueen
10-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Me neither.
Never have, Never will.

My sister is OBSESSED and she always would tell me what was going on in the books and I would jsut be like :scared1: :confused: WHAT is so good about them?

I think I will neverrr understand the appeal.

CrazySteph
10-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Me neither.
Never have, Never will.

My sister is OBSESSED and she always would tell me what was going on in the books and I would jsut be like :scared1: :confused: WHAT is so good about them?

I think I will neverrr understand the appeal.

I was the same way!! lol until i ran out of books to read.. and I thought that i would pick up twilight and immediatly not get it.. but i actually love it :goodvibes

Zip-A-Dee-Lady
10-18-2008, 01:49 PM
OMG you NEED to read this book series! It is awesome! It is sooooooo good! Trust me, everyone who reads it falls in love with it.

I have read it....

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 01:54 PM
I have read it....

And you still don't get it?:eek:

OMG. I don't know what i'd do if i didn't have my Twilight books.

I read the whole Twilight series in four days.

acesupercoolme
10-18-2008, 02:02 PM
I used to like them, until I came here and everyone was obsessed with it, that just killed everything.

disneydork409
10-18-2008, 02:25 PM
twilight is one of the best books ever!!! :love: especially edward!!! all the girls in my class had to borrow breaking dawn from me because the school library didnt have it!!!:eek:

Zip-A-Dee-Lady
10-18-2008, 02:27 PM
When I was in my early to mid teens, HP was the big thing.
The difference is, I never found HP to be annoying. It was an original, well written novel that appealed to most everyone.
Twilight doesn't have any of those things.

PurpleDucky
10-18-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm getting sick of Twilight, every girl in my grade has read them.

softball chick
10-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I read all the books.
Got into them but was disappointed by Breaking Dawn.
Guess Harry Potter is still my true obsession and love!

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 02:36 PM
When I was in my early to mid teens, HP was the big thing.
The difference is, I never found HP to be annoying. It was an original, well written novel that appealed to most everyone.
Twilight doesn't have any of those things.

No, Twilight has all of those things...and more.

Harry Potter is good but i consider twilight to be much better.

Zip-A-Dee-Lady
10-18-2008, 02:39 PM
No, Twilight has all of those things...and more.

Harry Potter is good but i consider twilight to be much better.

Twilight's main target is teenage girls. The idea is not original and it is poorly written.
What more does it have?

Babyjustrun
10-18-2008, 02:44 PM
There is no way Twilight is better than Harry Potter.
JK Rowling is a genius. Her writing is much better, she has such a detailed world (all the different spells, creatures, famous wizards etc) that she started working on in 1990. There's this whole other world she created, that kids, teens, and adults everywhere dream of.

Twilight is simply a book about vampires and wolves in a town. She only ever speaks of those two creatures, and it's not all that complicated...

acesupercoolme
10-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Twilight's main target is teenage girls. The idea is not original and it is poorly written.
What more does it have?

Harry Potter is boring and predictable.
Twilight is still predictable, but it's not as boring, and it's a book people can relate to.

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
What more does it have?

How is it unoriginal?
It's not poorly wrtten at all...What makes you think it is poorly written?
It has characters that people can somehow relate to.
It has an awesome plot that people can follow easily.
Its not just for teenage girls. I know others who have read it.
It is the international number one bestseller for Christ's sake. What more else does it need.

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
There is no way Twilight is better than Harry Potter.
JK Rowling is a genius. Her writing is much better, she has such a detailed world (all the different spells, creatures, famous wizards etc) that she started working on in 1990. There's this whole other world she created, that kids, teens, and adults everywhere dream of.

Twilight is simply a book about vampires and wolves in a town. She only ever speaks of those two creatures, and it's not all that complicated...

I admit Harry Potter is great in it's own way. But Twilight is just as good. maybe even better.

And how complicated does it have to be? In actual fact a book shouldn't be complicated otherwise you get bored and put the book down.

acesupercoolme
10-18-2008, 02:50 PM
How is it unoriginal?
It is the international number one bestseller for Christ's sake. What more else does it need.

It actually is pretty poorly written.
It's only a mediocre book, it really isn't the most amazing thing in the world.
Read Gone With The Wind, then we'll talk about amazing books.

Babyjustrun
10-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I disagree. Twilight is horribly boring. I almost put the first book down it was boring me to tears.

diva122094
10-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I like the books.
They arn't the best books i ever read but they are good.

Babyjustrun
10-18-2008, 02:52 PM
I admit Harry Potter is great in it's own way. But Twilight is just as good. maybe even better.

And how complicated does it have to be? In actual fact a book shouldn't be complicated otherwise you get bored and put the book down.

Twilight is so simple, that it bored me.
I don't give a crap about her doing laundry. There is parts in the first book where all it is, is her listing everything she did in the run of a day.
I. Don't. Care.

It's definitely not better. While JK maybe have ruined the seventh book with that horrible epilogue, that was like four pages.

Stephenie ruined the entire series for me (and quite a few other people I know) by basically writing it. It basically contradicted EVERYTHING she said.

::Snow_White::
10-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I'm not going to comment on the Twilight vs HP thing, because everyone should know which one I'm in favor of.

Anyways, the first chapters of Twilight was really boring.
I really do like Twilight, New Moon was good, Eclipse was bleh, and I did not like Breaking Dawn.
But since all the huge fangirl uproar over Edward at my school, I haven't been real big on them.
It's alright, but it's not the best. IMO.

Princess victoria
10-18-2008, 02:58 PM
okay
so maybe it's not written all that great
but, it's still amazing....

that's my opinion

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I dont care. I didn't come on this thread to listen to you whining about how much you hate the book or to have some petty arguement about how good it is'isn't. If you don't like the book go and tell someone who aslo hates the book or chat with those others who find the book boring. I'f you can't respect other people's view on the book then is there any point telling them how you feel?

IMO i loved the book and in all seriousness i think Stephanie is an awesome writer. I understand that some of you may not find the story thrilling but to be honest that is your opinion. I'm going to talk with those who like it. If you don't like it and can't say anything nice about the story then please don't talk to me. I can't take listening to people who can't take other people's point of view and who can't talk nicely about something.

So yeah...i love the book...those who also love it...yay us :)

I Am What I Am
10-18-2008, 03:03 PM
I dont care. I didn't come on this thread to listen to you whining about how much you hate the book or to have some petty arguement about how good it is'isn't. If you don't like the book go and tell someone who aslo hates the book or chat with those others who find the book boring. I'f you can't respect other people's view on the book then is there any point telling them how you feel?

IMO i loved the book and in all seriousness i think Stephanie is an awesome writer. I understand that some of you may not find the story thrilling but to be honest that is your opinion. I'm going to talk with those who like it. If you don't like it and can't say anything nice about the story then please don't talk to me. I can't take listening to people who can't take other people's point of view and who can't talk nicely about something.

I agree with the first part of what you said. I've never read the books so I don't know anything execpt what people tell me. And, to me, It sounds like it's not all it's cracked up to be. I'll just have to wait till I read a book. JMO.

PurpleDucky
10-18-2008, 03:06 PM

This thread wasn't created in favor of the Twilight loving group..

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-18-2008, 03:14 PM
I know it wasn't. But we Twilight fans wanted to know why you guys didn't get it. We tried to cnvince you otherwose and it turned into a huge fight. We were just expressing our feelings on here. But not many teen disers like listening to people putting downer on things

I wasn't trying to start and arguement or anything i just came on here to give my views and then it turned all nasty.

PigletGurl
10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Twilight rocks wohoo!!!

Babyjustrun
10-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Well I'm just as welcome as you are to express my feelings.
I did like the books, at least the first three. I did love them, and I still like them to an extent, but I find more things wrong with them than I like.

DramaQueen
10-18-2008, 04:20 PM
I started to read the first one, and I barely got past the first chapter.

In all honestly, I would compare the writing that book to a well-written fanfic.
That's what it reminds me of.

I'm not going to get too much into the HP vs Twilight battle, because in all honesty, there will be no comvincing twilight fans that it ISNT the best book ever written, and vice versa.
I'm (obviously) on the HP side, because, frankly, I find Twilight to be absolutley putrid (and no twilight fan, unless you are a personal friend/relative of stephenie meyer should take offence to it, because though you may like it YOUUU did not write it.!! lol)

Babyjustrun
10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
I started to read the first one, and I barely got past the first chapter.

In all honestly, I would compare the writing that book to a well-written fanfic.
That's what it reminds me of.

I'm not going to get too much into the HP vs Twilight battle, because in all honesty, there will be no comvincing twilight fans that it ISNT the best book ever written, and vice versa.
I'm (obviously) on the HP side, because, frankly, I find Twilight to be absolutley putrid (and no twilight fan, unless you are a personal friend/relative of stephenie meyer should take offence to it, because though you may like it YOUUU did not write it.!! lol)

Well, my friend says she's read fanfiction was better than the books. And that's pretty sad.

Ms.Squeakers
10-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I never could get into Twilight or Harry Potter...EVER.

Ive tried..and i dont get the hype of it.

Its so silly, plus..isnt it a LOT like Buffy the Vampire slayer? Thats what my friend told me.

Anyway...

I am so sick of hearing about twilight.

EDIT:

Steph Myer, REALLY needs to stop writing. Seriously.

diva122094
10-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Also,i never could read the harry potter books.
I felt like i could read the twilight books and i couldn't read the harry potter ones.

:confused3

RaggedyAnnPrincess
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM

I didn't...

Zip-A-Dee-Lady
10-18-2008, 08:18 PM
How is it unoriginal?
Think Buffy.
It sounds like a 13 year old fangirl wrote it.
I wanted to punch all the characters in the face.
True, it is easy to follow. Awesome plot? ehh.
Key word- TARGET audience is teenage girls.
My opinion.

Ms.Squeakers
10-18-2008, 08:33 PM
My opinion.

Yeah, it is kinda like buffy.

XxCuriosityxX<3
10-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I just think Twilight is for some people, and not for others.
Not everyone is going to like the same thing.
Personally, i'm sick of the books.

PurpleDucky
10-18-2008, 08:49 PM
I just think Twilight is for some people, and not for others.
Not everyone is going to like the same thing.
Personally, i'm sick of the books.

Yes, thank you!!

Aimbier31
10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
i just started reading the books and i love them i'm on eclipse right now and these are the best books ever but the thing is i dont read at all until i started twilight so i cant really compare to other books

JulielovesDisney
10-19-2008, 10:47 AM
I didn't understand the whole appeal either. So I was really curious and I borrowed my friend's copy of Twilight. They definitely aren't the BEST books out there, I have read many other books that are much better. But they are just fun, easy books to read. I don't know. lol It's hard to explain. I don't know what all the craze is about, per se. I guess it's just the appeal of the "perfect boyfriend" or whatever. But they are fun books to read.

I'm more crazy about the movie, but that's because the actors are HAWT!! lol

AliceinHalloweentown
10-19-2008, 12:09 PM
Okay, so I don't often post on the teen board, but here goes: I really really wanted to like Twilight. I have a friend who is downright obsessed- wants to read any books mentioned by Bella in the first book, wants all the cars they have, etc.
So I read the first one, and because the writing is so incredibly.. simple?, I finished it in like 4-5 hrs. It was OK. I didn't fall in love with anyone and I certainly didn't get why there was no real plot for the first like 300 pages and it was all thrown together quickly at the end. I know, I know- disagree with me if you want but that's what I felt like.

So then I read the second one (again, 5 hrs), although, by now I had kind of guessed what story she was going to elaborate on. It was good. I found it better and more well-developed then the first, but on the other hand there was a different feeling to the book compared to the first one. I can't explain it; something didn't feel right.

And, I haven't read the last two, they've been sitting on my desk for about 3 mos. Honestly? I think they were overhyped. If my obsessive friend hadn't gone crazy over them or had I not been reading about them being the most amazing book in the world- then I would have probably liked them more.

The writing is simple, it has a charm, but Stephanie often gets repetitive in her descriptions of her characters. Yes, I did read and love Harry Potter- but I'm not obsessed with it either.
I will be seeing the movie. I don't know if I'll ever read the last two books.

Haha sorry my first post on the Teen Boards had to be so negative... ;)

RaggedyAnnPrincess
10-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Okay, so I don't often post on the teen board, but here goes: I really really wanted to like Twilight. I have a friend who is downright obsessed- wants to read any books mentioned by Bella in the first book, wants all the cars they have, etc.
So I read the first one, and because the writing is so incredibly.. simple?, I finished it in like 4-5 hrs. It was OK. I didn't fall in love with anyone and I certainly didn't get why there was no real plot for the first like 300 pages and it was all thrown together quickly at the end. I know, I know- disagree with me if you want but that's what I felt like.

So then I read the second one (again, 5 hrs), although, by now I had kind of guessed what story she was going to elaborate on. It was good. I found it better and more well-developed then the first, but on the other hand there was a different feeling to the book compared to the first one. I can't explain it; something didn't feel right.

And, I haven't read the last two, they've been sitting on my desk for about 3 mos. Honestly? I think they were overhyped. If my obsessive friend hadn't gone crazy over them or had I not been reading about them being the most amazing book in the world- then I would have probably liked them more.

The writing is simple, it has a charm, but Stephanie often gets repetitive in her descriptions of her characters. Yes, I did read and love Harry Potter- but I'm not obsessed with it either.
I will be seeing the movie. I don't know if I'll ever read the last two books.

Haha sorry my first post on the Teen Boards had to be so negative... ;)

No no, I thought that was a very respectful post.
Couldn't have said it better myself, lol.

RaggedyAnnPrincess
10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Woops, double post. :O

AliceinHalloweentown
10-19-2008, 06:48 PM
No no, I thought that was a very respectful post.
Couldn't have said it better myself, lol.

Thanks, I was trying not to say anything "offensive" to anyone :goodvibes

I still wish I liked it better than I did though! For a while there I was thinking there was something wrong with me.:confused3 I'm strange because I think I actually wish I had become :love: crazed about it.

valeriesunshine
10-19-2008, 07:31 PM

I respect your opinion but in order for others to except your opinions you need to accept theirs. You need to respect that some others dont think these books are the best.

MuskratSusie
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
No offense to people that love it but its just books that make teenage girls want a perfect boyfriend.

ITA.

But, I like the series, I'm still reading the second one. I'm not all lovey-dovey over the book like some/most people are. I don't get why they really are so lovey-dovey about it, either. Its quite annoying. Lol.

AmandaSparks730
10-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Here's my brief synopsis of Twilight:

Girl moves to new town
Girl meets guy
Guy seems to hate girl
Girl falls for guy
Guy falls for girl
Girl learns guy is vampire
Guy and girl fall in love and start dating
Girl almost dies
Guy saves girl
Girl and Guy live happily ever after, for time being

valeriesunshine
10-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Here's my brief synopsis of Twilight:

Girl moves to new town
Girl meets guy
Guy seems to hate girl
Girl falls for guy
Guy falls for girl
Girl learns guy is vampire
Guy and girl fall in love and start dating
Girl almost dies
Guy saves girl
Girl and Guy live happily ever after, for time being

Spoilers:

Dont forget that girl sacrifices her whole life and drops her family and friends and has a baby at 17 with no consequences. :)

PurpleDucky
10-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Spoilers:

Dont forget that girl sacrifices her whole life and drops her family and friends and has a baby at 17 with no consequences. :)

haha

Disney Dork
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
I like Twilight. Now, I've only read the first three...still waiting for my younger sister to finish the fourth so I can read that too, but I think that over-all the series is pretty good. The writing isn't that bad. Honestly, I've read books for school that were about 100,000,000 times worse than that. The writing styles of the authors irked me to no end and compared to those Twilight was like breathing in the scent of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. All authors write in a different way though. It's kind of like a finger print, really. I doesn't mean that they're any better than the others...it just means that you prefer one style over the other-which is perfectly fine.

I've read all of the Harry Potter books as well and I wouldn't really compare it to Twilight much. HP isn't so much of a love story. He doesn't have to worry about the consequences of falling in love with 2 people at once and having to choose which future he wants to live. Really, Harry's future is pretty set in stone from book one.

The only thing that irks me really is the whole...babying thing, I guess you would call it. It just felt to me like they were all "Bella does no wrong", when she did mess up sometimes. And then, if she did mess up, everyone was just like "Awww, it wasn't your fault! It was mine!" when really, I thought that some of the things she did were just plain stupid. But! Again, if one thinks realistically...people do those things all the time. So I can't really complain about it all that much.

Over-all, I think Twilight is a good book. Is it "ZOMG! NO WAY! IT'S SO AWESOME I CAN'T BREATH!" material? Not for me it's not....but for someone else it may be. Kind of depends on how much people love the whole sickly sweet love story type thing.

OneTreeHill
10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
I, obviously, love the books.
I completely understand you not liking them though. That is your opinion, and everyone is entitled to that.

StitchfansJr
10-20-2008, 06:15 PM
I haven't finished Eclipse. I still like the series and all. I'm just not obsessed with them.

DollfieDreams
10-22-2008, 01:41 AM
i find it quite lame. :/
and fanfiction-ish.
if i want dark, depressing, romantic and gothic that includes vampires/other mythological creatures i'll go read anne rice. perhaps expand my vocabulary or something. :>

@hilary : lulz! i actually have read miraculous fanfiction that i seriously wanted to note the author and tell them to switch up character names / ideas and get it published. it is out there, buried underneath mary sues and smut, albeit. 8]

wilmabride'sdaughter
10-22-2008, 05:06 AM
I didn't understand the whole appeal either. So I was really curious and I borrowed my friend's copy of Twilight. They definitely aren't the BEST books out there, I have read many other books that are much better. But they are just fun, easy books to read. I don't know. lol It's hard to explain. I don't know what all the craze is about, per se. I guess it's just the appeal of the "perfect boyfriend" or whatever. But they are fun books to read.

I'm more crazy about the movie, but that's because the actors are HAWT!! lol

ITA. It is generally the guys charachters that appeal to the girls that read the book. Each guy is kinda cool. The book is a way of living the fantasy without really living it. It's a way to escape.

But I can understand why people don't like it. I mean not every book is going to appeal every single person, right?

Btw, I apologise for ranting earlier on in the thread. I just guess i got so caught up and then later, I contradicted myself. I was rather unreasonable. Sorry.

GoofysOnlyGirl
10-22-2008, 05:39 AM
I know this one girl at my school, who is seriously moving to washington[I guess that is where edward lives?] and going to find a vampire there like him. She is so obsessed it is crazy. & she has a boyfriend soooo, wonder how that makes him feel :lmao:

I honestly don't see the hype. I read probably three chapters out of the first one, thought it was incredibly boring and poorly written, nothing to really grasp, and predictable. I will probably see the movie, just because it will probably be a cute movie, and I know a few people who are going.

ginnygirl102
10-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Well I love the Twilight series but I'm not obsessed with it. I don't spend all of my time talking about it (and i know my siggy has all Twilight but just bear with me). I think that Harry Potter and Twilight are two totally different stories so I have no clue why people keep comparing the two. twilight is a love story and Harry Potter is....not. I also really love Harry Potter. I'm not going to choose between the two but I am going to say this:

Stephanie Meyer is an awesome writer.

JK Rowling is an awesome writer.

And I think people shouldn't judge Stephanie on ONE book series she wrote. She also wrote another book (i cant remember the name at the moment) granted it is about vampires but it has nothing to do with Bella or Edward.

And about the "perfect boyfriend" stuff.... I have a boyfriend and Um you don't see me comparing him to Twilight. I think my boyfriend is better than those characters anyway. So don't make Twilight-Lovers a sterotype like that.

Cassidy
10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Twilight is a way of life.

luvdisney77
11-08-2008, 08:21 PM
And you still don't get it?:eek:

OMG. I don't know what i'd do if i didn't have my Twilight books.

I read the whole Twilight series in four days.

I'm with you!!!! 4 books in 7 days. I was in love, and I am a mom of four. lol no teeny bopper here.;)

angelcake170
11-08-2008, 09:52 PM
I really like Twilight.
It's very romantic, right up my alley. ^.^

inlalaland
11-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I just started reading the first book a couple days ago. It's good, but I'm not obsessed. But then again, I'm only on page 200 or something, so I don't know. Almost everyone at my school is soo obsessed with these books. xD It's crazy. I don't think I'll ever be obsessed, but I do think they're good books.

seaturtledude
11-09-2008, 01:33 PM
twilight=love <3

K-Shong99
11-09-2008, 01:54 PM
i don't get it either.
i read the first one and thought it was really lame.

Aimbier31
11-09-2008, 03:30 PM
twilight is love

I Am What I Am
11-09-2008, 03:39 PM
I just started reading Twilight and so far I kinda like it. It's thicker then I expected.

seaturtledude
11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
i'm going to read some more twilight tonight =)

CastawayJ
11-09-2008, 05:46 PM
my friends "sweet 16" (it's gonna be big ike the TV show... stupid rich kids.... that throw great parties XD. nah, I emma is really cool) is the same night as the twilight premere, so a bunch of us are leaving early to see it XD

angelfire
11-09-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm with you!!!! 4 books in 7 days. I was in love, and I am a mom of four. lol no teeny bopper here.;)

four books in 3 days a record!!

CastawayJ
11-09-2008, 08:01 PM
XD I don't have any of my copies, they have all been borrowed

I Am What I Am
11-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I Love Twilight!!!!!!!!

Go Team Edward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiinkerbelle
11-10-2008, 06:34 PM
I think it is for all ages really. I used to think it was juvenile and just another feeble book like atonement - which I detested and was not at all what I thought it was. I did not really understand what twilight was about. I detested it, for the reason that everyone loved it, just to be different.
Yesterday afternoon I decided to buy the book and see what it was really about, since the movie is coming out in a few weeks. I started reading it at 11pm last night and could not put it down. I've read it between my classes and driving and am almost half way through.
This I must say is a very good book. No wonder it was a number one seller. This book has great sensory details that makes you feel and see from the eyes of Bella, almost as if you were her. You feel what she is feeling.
I believe people dislike this book because of the reason that everyone likes it. Or possibly because you might see it as just another love story. I can see from the first half it is a struggle of a young teen in a new small town. I believe this struggle for acceptance and wanting more from life relates to a lot of young, and older women. That is why it pulls in readers.

DollfieDreams
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
so, they did a piece on the movie release of twilight on the news tonight.

and wow. i really think i have never been more friggin sick in my life. some girl is wailing on the news "oh ma gawd he signed my paper and i said "THANK YOU!" and he said "no problem" i think i like, about like, died!"

....youre kidding me.

and then they are calling meyer the "literary mother of all vampires" after she quotes "no, i didnt do any research on vampires" 8D

uhm... no.

sorry, but if that didnt encourage me not to read/see anything to do with twilight, i dont know what can.

i did like how robert patterson said "out of all of this i have learned that girls really just want a gentlemanly type of guy."

sorry for the rant. but that little bit about her being the literary mother of all vampires made my inner anne rice fangirl cry in shame.

PurpleDucky
11-11-2008, 10:32 PM
underworld = way better than twilight

chisnpeke
11-12-2008, 12:28 AM
I'll never understand what could possibly be attractive about a vampire.

Disney Princess Elli
11-12-2008, 08:38 AM
i've never read it... it doesn't look that interesting.

Zanessa4ever
11-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Twilight is the best you should read it. It gets interesting fast.

DollfieDreams
11-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Twilight is the best you should read it. It gets interesting fast.

no, thank you. :]

i think the twilight ship has sailed and im deffinitley on land.

Cinderelli16
11-14-2008, 03:43 PM
I don't really understand what's so great about them either. Almost every girl in my school obsesses over it, and all I ever see is girls wearing Twilight shirts, and having purses that say Twilight on them. I was going to read them, but I've lost interest after all the commotion about it. It gets annoying REALLY fast.

OneTreeHill
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
I don't really understand what's so great about them either. Almost every girl in my school obsesses over it, and all I ever see is girls wearing Twilight shirts, and having purses that say Twilight on them. I was going to read them, but I've lost interest after all the commotion about it. It gets annoying REALLY fast.

Yeah, there is a huge commotion about it, and I agree, it gets old.
But, honestly, minus all of that, the book itself is good.

AliceinHalloweentown
11-14-2008, 10:05 PM
They're decent quick books, but maybe I've just never gotten /obsessed/ over a book.
Obsessions can be unhealthy. Some people I see have unhealthy obsessions.

I Am What I Am
11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I really really really like the books but I'm not obsessed with them. It's not something I think about every moment of the day or anything. They are books I enjoy along with like 5000 other books I have read.

I'm serious. I read like 100 books a year. Ask anyone in my family.

Tiinkerbelle
11-15-2008, 08:23 PM
My point exactly. People don't read the book before making their assumptions on whether they like the book or not. Most people detest this book(or movie)for the fact that everyone else makes a big hype about it. They make their judgements from other people.
People are being somewhat close minded when they do this.
It's like judging a "book by it's cover".

Disney Dork
11-15-2008, 08:49 PM
I'll never understand what could possibly be attractive about a vampire.

Awww, really?! I can give you a list if you'd like! :D

1. They sparkle in the sun...like a gleaming diamond. <3

2. They's UBER! ZOMG! strong and can pick up cars and stuff. Kind of like Super Man...only a lot more graceful. <3

and!

3. They have the ability to make you immortal, therefore ensuring that the two of you will live happily ever after until the end of time. <3

But, then again, Werewolves, Wizards, Evil Master-Minds of Destruction and Giant Fluffy Bunnies are also thought of as attractive by some people. So I guess it just kind of depends on the person, really.

I mean, come on! There was a story somewhere....of a princess kissing a FROG!!!! D:

Sure, it did turn into a handsome prince eventually...but it just sounds so disturbing.....and slimy. :crazy2:

DollfieDreams
11-15-2008, 10:41 PM

2. They's UBER! ZOMG! strong and can pick up cars and stuff. Kind of like Super Man...only a lot more graceful. <3

and!

3. They have the ability to make you immortal, therefore ensuring that the two of you will live happily ever after until the end of time. <3

But, then again, Werewolves, Wizards, Evil Master-Minds of Destruction and Giant Fluffy Bunnies are also thought of as attractive by some people. So I guess it just kind of depends on the person, really.

I mean, come on! There was a story somewhere....of a princess kissing a FROG!!!! D:

Sure, it did turn into a handsome prince eventually...but it just sounds so disturbing.....and slimy. :crazy2:

is..that seriously the description of a vampire given by the author?

...are you kidding me?

ThePin Princess
11-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Do you think i can finish the book by the 28th thats when my friends and i are going to see it. It was also the first day we could get tickets for!!! I just finished the first chapter and i just started today well yesterday if you are were i live or anywhere past England lol what is the part when you really started to like it??

PrincessKally
11-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Twilight is something else...its the newest obseesion after HP ended. I read the book over the summer after my sister did, they were good fiction. They are not in the least bit realistic, very easy quick reads. I do not se a reason to be obsessed, its fiction, as in not real. Many girls are obssssed with the idea of having true love with the perfect man, which every girl dreams about and now they have that "perfect man". The books aren't appealing to alot of people because can be cheesy, predictable, and aren't challlenging. I guess to me it seems it depends on your age, personality, type of books you like to read. Those who want a more intellectually challenging book should stay away. I didn't find them terrible, they were a bit ridiculous in parts though.

Disney Dork
11-16-2008, 12:38 AM
is..that seriously the description of a vampire given by the author?

...are you kidding me?

Not exactly, no.

In the book, they are extremely strong and their skin does shine in the light. That's the reason she gives for why they can't go out into pure sun, because if they did their appearance would give them away to those who are 'human'.

But honestly, who cares either way? If you think it's dumb and want to read something more realistic and 'complicated' then that's fine. I personally don't like reading books that are too realistic because I have to deal with enough of 'reality' in my everyday life. I like to be able to 'escape' into some place far away from all the mess and issues that come with the 'real world'. And I really don't want to have to sit down on my free time, after writing 5-10pg. essays and looking up answers to research questions, and read a book that's 'challenging'. Sometimes...simple is a good thing.

Tiinkerbelle
11-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I personally liked how she changed the description from your "typical vampire", to something that opens up many possibilities.
You no longer fear just the night, fear lurks during everytime of the day.

She was very inspiring when she did this, I give her props. I love to write myself, and for a writer to put her mind into aciton and let that kind of creativity come out is what writing should be about.
Most books are all the same; vampire eats this person and gets killed by a stake, poor servant falls in love with a rich girl. They're all so repetitive.

This is possibly why I like these books so much. It brings in something new, something to explore.

DollfieDreams
11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
so, how many other vampire books have you read?

im not saying reading a simple to read book is bad. and i know more about "escaping reality" than someone could possibly imagine. but im sorry, when people are calling the author something that she is not when she herself admitted she did no prior research into the main topic of her books, thats a little i dont know, aggrivating.

Tiinkerbelle
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I've read a few. I've also seen plenty of movies. I'm a big horror fanatic.

I don't think it's so much about escaping reality. Writers write because they want to tell a story to entertain. There is a difference between escaping reality and being entertained.
I did read how she knew nothing about vampires. I also gave her props for this. The more you know about a subject, the less creative you can be and wonder on your own path.
Somewhat like when...hmm, when you know the answer to a problem that you didn't figure out yourself. It's hard to solve it on your own after that since you already know the answer.

Personally when I write (and my fellow class write) we brainstorm, then we freewrite. We don't research anything, this helps us work our brains further and be more creative.
I'm not saying this method is great for all writers. If you are writing about an event or story in the past you would possibly want to research about the time era.

DollfieDreams
11-17-2008, 10:25 PM
yes, but from what i've heard that you all have told me; the stuff that she has come up with isn't all that imaginative. a friend of mine has read them all, likes the books, and still tells me that the stuff she has about "her vampires" arent really all that creative at all. and frankly, just not well thought out.

honestly, with something like a vampire that has been a legend for many, many, many years. some dating back to oh, i dont know, egyptian mythology; that stuff is pretty hard to steer off the path from. a vampire is a vampire. they suck blood to live. they are not allowed to be in the sun light. they all have fangs, and they are all un-dead. but if you read/watch/whatever something like, say van hellsing, you'll see there are different sorts of vampires based on their age and strength.

im not trying to step on people's toes with the "your kind of vampire belongs on the disney chanel" way of thinking, but honestly. you cant be all that original with vampires anymore because it has all been done or it has all been said before. adding sparkling skin just raises a couple eye brows and gets a few laughs out of people who have been reading and researching about vampires for years.

people research things when they like a topic, by the way. just because im about to write something, doesn't mean i want to run off to the library for 6 days to brush up on my knowledge about a mythological creature. but the more you know the more real it is to believe. heck, you never know what you can find that is "true to the legend" or "true to the mythology or history" that fits so well with what you may already be writing.

a friend and i write fanfiction together. yeah, fanfiction. and we have spent hours over books at borders, just researching on egypt with an already thought out storyline. we found so many things that interlaced with what we already had come up with, that it made it sound like we were telling a true story from egyptian mythology and history because we were linking names and places that were real.

we believe that if you love the topic you are writing about that much, there is nothing wrong with looking in to where the topic came from, why it originated, what legends and mysteries surround it, or what are they like in different countries. just taking the basic knowledge that everyone knows and adding a little sparkle, if i may, to your story, doesnt make you original or creative.

what im trying to say is, i think she has a long way to go before she can call herself the "literary mother of all vampires".

Tiinkerbelle
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I don't believe that she is the "mother of all vampires".
I find her creative, and I like it. So basically that is all that matters to me. Personally I like this type of vampire than the others I have read about and seen on the television.
It's all about peoples preferences and I don't think it is right for anyone to come down on a persons writing, no exceptions. It's their own creative expression and output; If someone doesn't like it, put down the book simple as that.
Obviously you are a"vampire" fan and are not a person who would accept some change to the facts. There is nothing wrong with taking a fictional being and completely changing it around. I live and breath for those kinds of stories. I persue the new and creative, rather than the old and boring.

DollfieDreams
11-19-2008, 06:32 PM
so youre saying the literature or art that the modern day "paranormal/mythological" crap comes from is boring?

mmkay. im sorry, but saying "i only like modern twists on things that have been around forever" sounds a little uncreative, unimaginative, and quite unculutred if you asked me.

but who am i, because apparently im boring.

or is it too hard to understand? all that stuff they make you read in art and history classes?

and yes, i am a vampire fan. i am a fan of a lot of mythological creatures. do i think its wrong that someone writes a story about a vampire? no. do i actively seek out to step on all of those little toes of fangirls that squeal over said person's fictional vampires? no.

i really would rather not argue about why you think this book is the greatest thing since the invention of the light bulb. i dont like it. you do. fantastic.

im stating my opinion as much as you are stating yours.

inlalaland
11-19-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm halfway through Eclipse now...:eek: They're way too addicting! xD

Tiinkerbelle
11-19-2008, 08:31 PM
That they are.
I'm a little skeptical about the movie on friday. It looks different from the book in some aspects.
The filming industry always has to have their "upgraded" over the top epic book-to-movie films.

gymnastgirlflips
11-19-2008, 08:57 PM

lol I know what you mean- I started reading Twlight this summer, and I ended up finishing all four books in six days, maybe seven. That's all I did was read, they were just too good to put down! I felt much better after reading them, I hope you finish soon!

chisnpeke
11-19-2008, 09:01 PM

and!

Haha, I give you an A for effort but I prefer my guys as mere mortals. ;)

gymnastgirlflips
11-19-2008, 09:01 PM
That they are.
I'm a little skeptical about the movie on friday. It looks different from the book in some aspects.
The filming industry always has to have their "upgraded" over the top epic book-to-movie films.

Well... everyone knows movies are never as good as the books. I know alot of my friends will just be rolling their eyes during the whole movie because of how much is different. The closest movie to book I have seen was probably the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. They only changed a couple of things in that movie. Ever seen Eragon and read that book? Wow. Sorry- boys dont rescue the world during the weekend, and dragons dont go from babies to full grown in a minute lol. That was weird... yeah. I hope Twilight does ok.

inlalaland
11-20-2008, 04:34 PM
That they are.

Yeah I know what you mean about the books to movies. Sometimes a lot of people who never even read the books judge them by the movies too. I hate that. :headache:

lol I know what you mean- I started reading Twlight this summer, and I ended up finishing all four books in six days, maybe seven. That's all I did was read, they were just too good to put down! I felt much better after reading them, I hope you finish soon!

Haha I'll probably have them done by next week sometime! We're driving to New Orleans so I'll have plenty of reading time. xD

As of now, I'm totally Team Jacob. :laughing: -hides-

Zip-A-Dee-Lady
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Well... everyone knows movies are never as good as the books. I know alot of my friends will just be rolling their eyes during the whole movie because of how much is different. The closest movie to book I have seen was probably the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. They only changed a couple of things in that movie. Ever seen Eragon and read that book? Wow. Sorry- boys dont rescue the world during the weekend, and dragons dont go from babies to full grown in a minute lol. That was weird... yeah. I hope Twilight does ok.

There was a lot more wrong with Eragon than just that.
They may as well had called it "The Dragon Movie".

wannabetink95
11-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I love Twilight! I just finished reading New Moon, and can't wait to read Eclipse! I didn't think that it would be that good, until my friends started reading them and told me about them now I can't wait for the movie!