PDA

View Full Version : Nassau swimming for free?

My~Rumbly~Tumbly
05-02-2002, 11:08 PM
So I've been debating as to whether I should even get off the ship in Nassau. I've read Barb's posts, who suggests to get off at least once. That was my original thinking, just get off once to say you did. I have no desire to shop. I am a shopaholic, but I don't want to be bugged. I have two children who at cruise time will be 3 and 1 1/2. Is there any 'free' swim opportunities? If I plan to get off ship for a 1 or 2 hour swim, how much time should I expect to be off ship. We're going on the 4 day Wonder. I have NEVER been to the Carribean and this is our first cruise. Knowing there is little time on this ship, I don't want to waste my time on shore if it's not worth it.

Dave_from_Marietta
05-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Yes, just ask the taxi driver to take you to the Public Beach, and they will take you to a nice spot with free access.

Things to keep in mind...

1) Agree on your taxi fare before you get in the taxi. Avoid unpleasant surprises.

2) Don't do business with any of the jet-ski operators at the public beach. I've heard several horror stories about their business practices.

3) The surf at Nassau can be a little on the rough side. If you're traveling with small children, you might have more fun staying on the ship and using the pools while the ship isn't so crowded.

My~Rumbly~Tumbly
05-03-2002, 07:56 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. We would definitively spend time on shore at Castaway Cay, but think we just may take advantage of pool on Nassau day.

DawnL
05-03-2002, 02:44 PM
Don't miss swimming in the crystal clear water!! As soon as you get off the ship there will be taxi's lined up. Our driver took us over to the public beach on Paradise Island for $5.00 each. Very easy access, not very far down the beach from the Atlantis. Our driver asked us what time we wanted to be picked up and we just met him at our designated time. Very easy and a great beach day!!

sandee
05-03-2002, 03:29 PM
DawnL, do they have public restrooms or did you have to go in and use hotel public restrooms? You don't happen to remember the names of any of those hotels, do you? Where you pestered non-stop about buying things? I know this constant begging got old fast at Great Bay beach in St. Martins. Everyone was very polite, but if I said no thank you once I said it 1,000 times to the same group of women selling things.

atigeg
05-03-2002, 05:27 PM
Most people at the public beach just use the restrooms at the hotel next door.
I will second what Michelle said...BEWARE of the jet ski operators! We rented jet skis a few times without incident, and then hubby rented one that conked out on him in the middle of the ocean. There was no one around to help him, so he had to wait until he drifted to shore. It was a FAR walk back to the public beach, and he foolishly told the operator where he had left it before demanding his money back...of course, they took off and we never got a refund. Even tho' they are near Atlantis, they are all independent operators with no oversight.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.*****************

DawnL
05-06-2002, 10:28 AM
We also used the restrooms in the hotel lobby right next to the public beach access (don't remember the name) but it is right next to the Atlantis. We had no problem walking in their rear beach access door. We didn't do any jet ski rentals, but we did do the banana boat - lots of fun - no problem at all. There were women that walked by offering hairbraiding, selling cover-ups, etc, but we just said no thanks and they walked on. They did come up and down the beach quite a few times. We definitely didn't leave any of our valuables on the beach unattended, when we did the banana boat, one person in our group stayed behind to watch everything and we took turns going in the water with the kids.

MikeBW
05-06-2002, 11:45 AM
Tammy,

My 2 cents: we (with 2 kids 7 and 6) got off in Nassau and did a carriage ride and shopped at the straw market for souvenirs - nothing great!! With young kids, it will probably be a hassle going to the beach especially when you will be a CC the next day. Staying on the boat and enjoying the pools without the crowds is probably a good idea.
Just my opinion (from a fellow New Englander). Have a great trip!

My~Rumbly~Tumbly
05-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Yes, I'm feeling it would be best to just hang out on the ship and take advantage of the facilities. I just can't be bothered with all the haggling when I'm only with my preschooler and toddler. Nope.

Thanks guys!