PDA

View Full Version : Why Do The Disney People Hate Us?

Timmy Boy
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM
I found this on another board and it makes me think. It talks about people's visits to WDW.

"My sister and her family are headed home from Disney in the morning, after a week of fun. When I talked to her yesterday she and her DH were a little mad about some of the rides being down during the week. They were at AK and EE was down as well as Dinosaur ride. Earlier they had a problem at MK with BTMRR being down and the audio was not working on Splash Mtn. She also said that there was some kind of problem at Soarin too. What's going on? Are they cutting back on the repair guys?

She also said that it was very crowded. She said that they have had a great time, but it kind of made them mad about all of the break downs."

Everything broke down, and it was crowded, yet they had a great time? If this were to happen at IOA (in fact, it could be even less, such as Hulk being down for 5 minutes while they add a train) the people would go crazy and call it the worst park in the world. Why do they do this? :confused3

jenny105
10-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't get it either. I love Disney but some people act like US/IOA are evil. And some have the mentality of 'If you like Disney, you can't possibly like those other parks' Why can't you enjoy both?? :confused3

Metro West
10-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I don't know Tim...it's a never ending saga. Some people think Disney can do no wrong and will forever be in love with the Mouse. These are people who don't live here and probably don't know anyone who works for Disney. If they lived here or knew people who worked there, they would see Disney isn't all it's cracked up to be. I think too that so many Disneyphiles hide behind the majority here because they know they will be defended should someone try to flame them. Both resorts have lots to offer but they seem to ignore the papers when dealing with accidents and injuries and the number of incidents at WDW as opposed to Universal...but who really knows.

hack2112
10-16-2008, 04:12 PM
The answer is plain and simple. Disney does an amazing job brainwashing the populace. Now this sounds very harsh, and it is, but when there are people who won't leave the WDW Resort, there really is no other explanation.

And no, I don't mean the evil villian brainwashing, just the years of propaganda type.

DeblovesPoohbear
10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Metro, I have a friend that lives in Orlando and did work for Disney before and she says the same thing, she can't stand them now :lmao:

I love them both, and personally, let them stay away, more from for us to run wild in US/IOA :goodvibes

AllieKat
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Disney people hate us cause we're awesome and we have more fun. You know, that whole jealousy thing. :cool1:

Just kidding, I love both Universal and Disney. I've never quite understood the Universal hate that I seem to see/read/hear so often. To each their own. :)

Seewhatimesdone
10-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Uhh I love both. Is that a problem? :rotfl:

donaldduck352
10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Uhh I love both. Is that a problem? :rotfl:

No not at all.(sorry my homies)Epcot has always been my fav park..

But the only downfall is that DW has not kept up with the times (they still got Ellen,she was doing this 7yrs ago)!!

Now with USO they switch it up.They are coming out with a rollercoaster next year at US and HP in 2010!!!

The theming at DW has remained the same since I was a kid..
With IOA there is so much eye candy that everytime I go I see something diff..

The debate will never end cause evryone was raised on Disney!!
Universal(if peeps would go with a open mind)would find a wonderful-laid back pace to take in the sites,sounds and atmosphere that DW has never offered...IMO

damo
10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
If you're going to spend that much money year after year after year, you'd better think it is the best thing ever!!!

rebecca06261
10-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I have a couple of Disney snob friends and I can tell you exactly what they're thinking:

Disneyphiles remind me of the holier than thou crowd at the after-church picnic. You know the types... the do-gooders who don't drink, don't swear, and certainly don't venture to us/ioa ;)

They see a distinct class difference between the guests of the two parks and refer to the wdw guests as "family" and us/ioa as the "dreaded inlaws." While I've always stated that I can see a difference in the types of people that prefer one park over another, I prefer it that way, personally.

donaldduck352
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
The answer is plain and simple. Disney does an amazing job brainwashing the populace. Now this sounds very harsh, and it is, but when there are people who won't leave the WDW Resort, there really is no other explanation.

And no, I don't mean the evil villian brainwashing, just the years of propaganda type.

::yes:: ::yes:: Very well put!!Once your there there is no leaving..
Incgonito said it best.Once your in they lock the gates!!!!!

I spelled it wrong I know

EPRV We love Disney
10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
We're a family who believed that the ultimate family trip would be the "perfect" Disney trip. Visiting all the parks, our perfectly mannered children would skip ahead, holding hands and laughing while sparrows flew about their heads.

Well, needless to say, our vacation (11/06) was not perfect. And while nothing is, I chose to plan our next trip to a place that would offer at least the opportunity to relax. So, we'll be trying US/IOA in a little more than a year.

I for one, cannot wait. The park offerings sound fabulous, the hotels seem awesome and the very IDEA of FOTL, utterly scrumptious.

We do love Disney - BUT we're choosing US/IOA (and RPR!).

:goodvibes

the Dark Marauder
10-16-2008, 08:19 PM
You will enjoy the RPR. I'd go back there again. But the HRH is my next onsite goal.

ADP
10-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, we love both. EPCOT is our favorite park, but we've been visiting UO since 1997 and IOA since 1999. In fact we were there the very first week it opened. IOA is an amazing park. The amount of detail that went into that park still amazes me today. IOA has the best attraction I've ever experinced in any park and I've visited quite a few living in the midwest. Spiderman Rocks!

All I can say is we love choice. We love the fact we can choose between Disney, Universal and Sea World; plus all of the other parks. I can't imagine anyone would complain over having choice. In the end, it's the customer (us) who wins. Competition helps keep prices in check and attractions fresh.

We are extremely happy Universal is in Orlando and that we can visit periodically from Indiana and experience everything they have to offer. It's great to have both! :) In fact, we are visitng Universal next week for 5 days after spending 2 days at Disney World. We are really looking forward to it.

Tinker-tude
10-16-2008, 11:14 PM
I don't think there's one simple answer that fits every UO/IoA hater. We used to be so in love with Disney that we just couldn't pull ourselves away long enough to go to Universal. We'd wanted to check it out, but it never fit the time available or the budget to do both places. Then we had a horrible vacation at Disney and decided to do five days at UO the next year. We fell in love and haven't wanted to go back to Disney yet. We still really love Disney, it just seems they will squeeze every last penny out of you for as little return as possible. But I digress....

Here are a few patterns that I seem to pick up on from the UO/IoA haters.

1. Adament Disney Lovers is a club. Not an official one, but a club nonetheless. You can only be seen as a true blue Adament Disney Lover (ADL) if your love ONLY encompasses Disney. Their loyalty is rabid and a little frightening. You can only maintain membership by repeatedly proving to all of the other ADLs that your loyalty to Disney is as deep as theirs. These ADLs have missed the Disney message that there is beauty and goodness in many things and many places, as well as the Disney message, "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all".

2. "Disney is just more magical." As Tricia has said (and a few others), magic is something within you. Kudos to Disney marketing for steeping, soaking, surrounding, and pounding us with Disney culture. There are many more Disney commercials on t.v. than there are Universal commercisls, by a long shot. And they ALL mention Disney Magic several times. Plus all the merchandise available to put in every room of your home. It gives people the impression that Disney and Magic are one and the same, and they simply don't/cannot exist anywhere in seperate spheres.

We had a wonderfully magical trip to UO/IoA because we prepared for it. We watched the movies they showcase, listened to the soundtracks, read comics, checked out books about dinosaurs and mythology, read Seuss books, and a number of other things. It was pure magic for us, with nothing Disney thrown in. We loved all the details, the planning that obviously went on out of sight, the theming, the TMs, the food, and everything about it.

3. "I want to look wealthier than I am." These are the people who talk about UO guests being trashy and scary, uneducated, and low-class. It cracked me up when fans of both parks were posting pictures of families at both parks. THEY LOOKED EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There were more groups of young adults and teenagers at IoA, but they looked like tourists, not gang members that some Disneyphiles claim to see in abundance. These people always talk about UO being cheaper, and how Disney is well worth every penny to keep away from the thugs and rif-raff crawling all over Universal. Paleeze....

I still love many things about Disney, but for us, they are the "other" park now. We may venture back some year, but we're just having too much fun discovering all the details at UO/IoA to bother yet. Can't wait for January and HHN 2009!

Tam

keishashadow
10-17-2008, 08:29 AM
imo, depends on ur mindset, if u truly luv amusement parks u can find something good in all of them, ranging from local parks to the big boys in MCO
I have a couple of Disney snob friends and I can tell you exactly what they're thinking:

Disneyphiles remind me of the holier than thou crowd at the after-church picnic. You know the types... the do-gooders who don't drink, don't swear, and certainly don't venture to us/ioa ;)

They see a distinct class difference between the guests of the two parks and refer to the wdw guests as "family" and us/ioa as the "dreaded inlaws." While I've always stated that I can see a difference in the types of people that prefer one park over another, I prefer it that way, personally.

channeling adam ant;)

With the heartbreak open
So much you can't hide
Put on a little makeup makeup
Make sure they get your good side good side

Don't drink don't smoke - what do you do?
Don't drink don't smoke - what do you do?
Subtle innuendos follow
There must be something inside

We don't follow fashion
That would be a joke
You know we're going to set them set them
So everyone can take note take note

No one's gonna tell me
What's wrong or what's right
Or tell me who to eat with sleep with
Or that I've won the big fight big fight
:goodvibes

[quote=Tinker-tude;28208290]
Here are a few patterns that I seem to pick up on from the UO/IoA haters.

1. Adament Disney Lovers is a club. Not an official one, but a club nonetheless. You can only be seen as a true blue Adament Disney Lover (ADL) if your love ONLY encompasses Disney. Their loyalty is rabid and a little frightening.

ADL - wonder if they have a pill for that:lmao: imo many r just looking for validation that they r choosing/spending wisely...the pack mentality

2. "Disney is just more magical."

it is for many (certainly a subjective opinion)
im not going to try & figure out what floats anybody's boat . There is a totally different vibe between the 2 parks & that is one reason i like to split our trips:confused3

i freely admit that: yes, i do get the warm & fuzzies when i enter the MK...course, im goofy;)

3. "I want to look wealthier than I am." These are the people who talk about UO guests being trashy and scary, uneducated, and low-class.

we'd all have more $s under our mattresses if we elected not to vacation in the 1st place.

Can't say that i equate living the lifestyle of the rich & famous with visiting a theme park though:confused: ...if money was no object believe i'd be selecting more exotic locals:laughing:

Todd hit the nail on the head, the debate is the true never-ending story in MCO:confused3 ; yet the competition is a great thing in that the parks will continue to strive to offer the next best thing!

imo, it's just such a shame that the very things that are intended to bring people joy, can morph into controversy

inkkognito
10-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, WDW really did embrace top-notch quality. When I married DH, who was used to Six Flags-style parks, he didn't get it till I dragged him to WDW for the very first time. But over time we watched the quality decline...the "show" gets worse even time we visit. The parks are dirty, the bathrooms are filthy, and there are plenty of rude people jumping lines, running others over etc. That's a big reason why we started taking so many Disney cruises...the cruise line has still retained the quality (at least for the most part).

For the people who defend WDW to the death, it's almost like that Shakespeare quote that they "doth protest too much." WDW could be burning to the ground around them and they'd still claim it was the best. They're afraid to look at USF/IOA with objective eyes because that would force them to face the truth, that they're pretty darned cool parks.

When we first went to USF and IOA, we were awed by the theming and loved the rides. Mind you, I live next door to WDW and adore Soarin', but other than that USF/IOA rides and shows whip WDW's butt. I'll take MiB over Toy Story Mania any day, Hulk is the ultimate coaster (Rockin' ain't even close and Everest is more of a "scenic ride...Mummy is much superior), and Terminator is so much better than any 3-D romp at Disney. That's not to say that I don't enjoy Disney rides, but the last really innovative thing they did was Turtle Talk. Even my beloved Soarin' is just a fancy Imax/motion simulator hybrid. WDW doesn't even have anything on the level of Spidey!

I love both WDW and USF/IOA for different reasons and I visit both regularly. Even tho' I was indoctrinated with movies, books, and the Wonderful World of Disney, somehow the programming didn't completely "take" and I'm glad it didn't...it allows me to actually enjoy both.

macraven
10-17-2008, 11:32 AM
i do both parks on each yearly visit.
i start with the motherland and then switch to the darkside.
stay on site at both places.

i enjoy both of them for different reasons or i wouldn't be doing my vacations this way since 1992.

i did get bored at disney on my recent trip. this year i skipped many of the rides as the thrill was gone for them. maybe someday the script for the jungle cruise will change. transportation by their bus system is not the best way to get around at that park, very time consuming.

Planning is necessary in advance for dining options, shows, etc.
there are certain shows and park rides that i do enjoy at disney and i hit them all. when they have a good ride, i do repeats on them. there are rides and shows that keep my interest and i look forward to each year.
the food and wine event lures me to epcot each time when i go in the fall.

at universal, my thoughts are the same as yours.
the parks there are set up where you don't have to waste time walking to get to one great ride to another. both parks are close enough together to avoid the need of busses to get to them. city walk is a plus as it is so close to the theme parks.
i find more variety of meals at universal than disney.
my last trip there, i never had a hamburger in the parks.

the themes for each section in the islands at ioa are unique. all originals and no way could be compared to other parks. you can go from one section, have a change of colors, scenery and music and go to the next area for a complete change. most of the time, guests don't notice that. music is different in each section.
the hard ticket events are the greatest imo at universal. HHN draws me there each fall. it changes theme each year. it entertains me to the fullest each year. mnsshp at disney is always the same. no changes, even their parades are predictable from the years past.

i find more changing around at universal. of course my heart broke when ghostbusters and king kong left, but their replacements i have grown to adore. universal does update and add on/or replace some of the movie themed rides they have.
i'm not a parry hotter fan at all..........can't stand the books or movies of it but, am looking forward to new rides/attractions that will come to universal for that new island area. whatever universal does, they do it up right. they have a marvelous creative team that brings mummy dust to the guests.

just think of all the disney fans that will be coming to see parry hotter when it opens.......i'm sure they will write about how impressed they were with it but you know the "but.............." will be included in their trippies.

i don't compare the parks to where i won't do just one of them.
i prefer universal hands down but i stay open to spend time at disney. i've had ap's for both parks at different times.

i doubt that very many disney fans know that many TM's also work as a CM.
when the talk starts up about employees at different parks, i try to post to let them know they are off base on that.

my experience is the TM's and UO's guest services do more for guests than the other park. they are more flexible in working with you in order to have a trip that will be remembered and keep coming back in the future.
disney will lure you in with the advertising and the speil on the phone with you but it sometimes falls short once you are there.

i feel if you are at a park and there is an issue, talk to the people in charge there. don't come to a message board and complain and rant. do something about it when it happens.

when we read negative comments about a trip to universal, it could have been corrected during that stay.
some people have a blind loyalty to specific parks and just want to influence others to have the same opinion.

you know that old saying "there is strength in numbers" ?
the only thing it does is scare future guests away from a new park to try.

except when harry potter comes to town.

BuckeyeGuy28
10-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Like my social studies teachers have always said; everything is about MONEY

Universal is not as expensive to go to. That's why people don't have a need to brag about going there and having a well-spent vacation. If you bought a 16" TV, would you say you enjoyed it and tell people about it as much as you would have if you'd bought a 64" TV???

When people spend that much money, they're determined to have a good time because wasting moeyis probably the worst feeling in the world. Everyhing comes down to money in some way. People rave about Disney more because they want to tell people they spent a lot of money and had great results. It's more comfortable to complain about Universal when you haven't spent as much on it, and its lack of publicity makes it a less-desirable destination among some other people.

buildabear
10-17-2008, 05:25 PM
I DONT GET IT EITHER I USED TO WORK FOR WALT DISNEY WORLD AND I LOVED GOING TO UNIVERSAL I THINK ITS JUST A JEALOUSY THING :rolleyes:

Metro West
10-17-2008, 07:14 PM
Like my social studies teachers have always said; everything is about MONEYAnd that...my friend...is why all the local parks raise their ticket when others do it. They don't want to look like too much of a "value" lest people think it's a cheap place to go.

eyckmans
10-18-2008, 04:21 AM
I think that this anology is wrong as it is saying that one is inferior to the other when as far as I'm concerned the quality is the same and it is just the price that is different. It's more a case of buying a similar TV at a lower/higher price.

Universal is not as expensive to go to. That's why people don't have a need to brag about going there and having a well-spent vacation. If you bought a 16" TV, would you say you enjoyed it and tell people about it as much as you would have if you'd bought a 64" TV???

UKDEB
10-18-2008, 06:05 AM
All I can say is we love choice. We love the fact we can choose between Disney, Universal and Sea World; plus all of the other parks. I can't imagine anyone would complain over having choice. In the end, it's the customer (us) who wins. Competition helps keep prices in check and attractions fresh.

We are extremely happy Universal is in Orlando and that we can visit periodically from Indiana and experience everything they have to offer. It's great to have both! :)
I couldn't agree more. We've been visiting Central Florida from the UK since 1992, sometimes up to 3 times a year, and I still can't imagine a trip without taking in both the WDW and UO parks. Even in the days when UO consisted of just Universal Studios, it was an equally important element of our trips and, with the addition of IoA, CityWalk and the resorts, it really does give Disney a run for its money.

We've been Annual Passholders of both for as long as I can remember now. We're DVC members, but I can't imagine wanting to stay onsite at Disney for an entire trip. We like to get out and see everything on offer in the incredible vacation wonderland that is Orlando and we've stayed in some fabulous accommodations (check out my signature :) ) including twice at each of the Universal Resorts. Our upcoming trip in November will see our third stay at RPR. Proportionately, we do spend more of our time at WDW, but that's simply because there's more of it.

Epcot is our favourite park and we adore the International Food and Wine Festival. Our next trip is one of several which have been planned around it. UO doesn't have anything remotely like it. And it never seems to have got to grips with night-time entertainment the way Disney does. If ever Disney announces the end of Reflections of Earth, I'll be booking my flight :teeth:. Universal, though, has Halloween Horror Nights with which Disney will never be able to compete because there's no fit. MNSSHP (as well as MVMCP and P&P) are just excuses to charge extra for the privilege of being in MK during the evenings, in my opinion.

As far as attractions go, both have plenty of "not to be missed" offerings. One thing Disney does have over Universal is the sheer amount of research which goes into much of what they do - Expedition Everest is a prime example. Its biggest issue at the moment seems to be that the Imagineers are being stifled by the "Suits". It hasn't made any exciting announcements about new attractions since EE (American Idol, anyone? :bored: ) and the new celebration replacing YOMD is lame in the extreme. Universal pulled of the biggest coup in securing the rights to Harry Potter - Disney definitely got caught sleeping on that one.

None of this answers the OP's question, I know - others have covered that better than any attempt I could make. :teeth:

inkkognito
10-18-2008, 10:26 AM
One thing Disney does have over Universal is the sheer amount of research which goes into much of what they do - Expedition Everest is a prime example.
Problem is, they put in the detail up front and then don't bother to maintain it. The Yeti hasn't been working correctly for probably months now, but they cover up the fact that he doesn't move with strobe lights.

And while EE is indeed themed in a wonderfully detailed way, it doesn't have anything on the Mummy queue! (Well, okay, Mummy doesn't have examples of poop patties, but other than that...)

tink,too
10-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Some folks just like complaining. :snooty:

And that's the bottom line! :laughing:

I'm from Scotland and have been visiting Florida for almost 30 years. I don't visit every year, we like to go to other places in the world, too. :) On our first visit Orlando consisted of MK, Disney Village, Church Street Station, Wet 'n' Wild and Sea World. We also visited some other parks which were in the area - Busch Gardens, Circus World and Cypress Gardens.

Over the years, it has amazed me how much Orlando has grown. Some parks have faded away while others have sprung up and thrived, but all have evolved. :goodvibes

We are always really excited to visit the new offerings in the area. Heck, if I'm taking a day to travel from my home to my hotel in Florida, I'm gonna get my money's worth and see as much as I can! :thumbsup2

It always gets me how folks who have never set foot in UO can pass comments on it. :confused3 It kinda makes me laugh, but feel sorry for them at the same time - those poor, unfortunate souls! :rotfl: Which brings me back to my opening comment... :hippie:

FayeW
10-18-2008, 06:14 PM
We love the Universal Parks...Disney is just something else we do when we are in Orlando. We have a few favourites in each park, but the problem is, I have to go to 4 parks to find them all, and in most cases, Universal or IoA has a similar ride that's better, faster and more thrilling. Notable exceptions are Soarin', Spectromagic and the Kilamajaro Safari. The only rides/shows that I think Disney does better are Tower of Terror (Dr Doom is just not in the same league) and Mickey's Philharmagic. Shrek is good, but Philharmagic is AWESOME! World Showcase is my favourite part of Epcot, and I think I could spend half a day just in Morocco, so there are definately some things we look forward to at the Disney parks.

The hardcore Disneyphiles talk alot about "the magic". I have to say that there is a reason that Magic Kingdom is always the first park we go to. I actually understand "the magic" when you get your first glimpse of the castle, and walk up Mainstreet. But that is the only park that I would describe as "magical". I also feel that same magic when we walk through the Port of Entry and hear the wind howling around the tower (or maybe that's just the noise from the Hulk, but it sounds eery) and when we visit Island's of the Lost Continents, and see the lanterns hung in the trees and hear the tinkling music.

The thing with Disney magic is that it seems almost frantic. Everyone is soooo determined to have a magical time, to heck with everybody else. You are always rushing through the crowds. At IoA, we can sit on a bench by Flying Unicorn and wait for the kids, and the "magic" just sneaks up on you!

Our trip is in a little less than 7 weeks, and I wasn't feeling excited about it. Actually thought about cancelling, but thinking about all of this today has made me really start looking forward to our trip!

missesdisney
10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
I must admit, I drank the Disney Kool aid - I am a die hard bonafide disney nut. However, we go every year and we always go to both Universal and SeaWorld also - generally one day each now since our son is 7 and there is a lot that is not really his style at UO/IOA. We happen to enjoy both UO/IOA - DH and I went to Universal in I think it was 1991 when you parked in a flat parking lot (like seaworld) and WALKED to the gate. When there was a psycho house and Hard Rock Cafe where things now stand otherwise. When BTTF was in testing mode. We loved it! Still do, but with a small child it is a different experience. They do a much better baby swap than Disney, no doubt, but there is not enough all over for very small kids IMO. We spent a lot of time split up when we went when he was smaller but we enjoyed it still.

This year he is tall enough for more (he and I skipped last year and sent DH and DFIL - we had a mom and me date). We are very excited for this one - although we'll still do it in one day.

One thing I've found at UO/IOA (and Seaworld for that matter) is since we go off season, we feel like it's off season. Many trips in oct/nov on a weekday and we couldn't find an open soda cart before 10 or 11am at UO/IOA. Things are noticably closed. I don't get that at Disney - just short hours and less CM.

Anyway I love them all - the whole Florida trip experience is part of our annual tradition! I don't get why some people skip one or the other - and I will never get why people find being trapped on disney property to be a good idea - even if they don't go to any other parks (and I drank the kool aid but it must not have included the trap me on the propery sugar!)

bubba's mom
10-20-2008, 09:48 PM
The OP asked 'why do the Disney people hate us'??

Only reason I can think of is FOTL :confused3

:teeth:

southernbelle5672
10-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Personally, I love both.
Sometimes I even find more stuff for adults to do at US/IoA.

the Dark Marauder
10-21-2008, 11:20 AM
The OP asked 'why do the Disney people hate us'??

Only reason I can think of is FOTL :confused3

:teeth:

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

disneydeb
10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I dont think it has anything to do with hate, i feel it has to do with ride quality. when my daughter was small we loved wdw, it felt like a safe haven , it was all about the fantasy, for a long long time no one ever got killled there and you never heard about anyone getting hurt. young and naive as i was i remembered telling my daughter you dont have to worry theres nothing there that can hurt you. there was no drinking in mk so you didnt have to worry about drunks, and the place was immaculate, i remember smoking a cigarette and dropping the butt, and within a minute it was swept up. that was walt disneys dream to have a clean safe place for families to go together, then came universal, which when i visited it , i thought was going to be like hollywood. then i didnt go for a few years and went back this past year and feel they have alot of rides if your a roller coaster person or amusement type of ride, but i am not and neither is my daughter, but my grandson loved it. he doesnt like wdw but he loves uo. i still think it stems from what kind of rides you like:confused3

Purseval
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
In answer to your question, they don't. This board has almost 200,000 members. In any population that size you are going to get a few snobs and a few smart aleks but, by and large, the people who come here either like both parks or could care less about USF/IOA.

macraven
10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
disneydeb, i know exactly what you mean about mk being a safe place to take children. it is no longer a safe haven there.
we really had our eyes opened a couple of years while at mk due to the drunks there.
my boys and i had to leave some of the lines for the rides due to the guests that had been drinking. their behavior became so obnoxious.

with the resorts being so close by and the resturants there serving alcohol, you do see a lot of adults that have had way too much.

you would think disney would do something about that.
the cm's just ignored the loud, crude behavior those people had.

jenny105
10-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Once upon a time, a long long time ago, WDW really did embrace top-notch quality. When I married DH, who was used to Six Flags-style parks, he didn't get it till I dragged him to WDW for the very first time. But over time we watched the quality decline...the "show" gets worse even time we visit. The parks are dirty, the bathrooms are filthy, and there are plenty of rude people jumping lines, running others over etc. That's a big reason why we started taking so many Disney cruises...the cruise line has still retained the quality (at least for the most part).

Compared to Six Flags though (at least the one in Jersey), WDW is palatial. Local parks still don't have anything on them or Universal.

Purseval
10-22-2008, 08:55 AM

I remember reading years ago that you never saw a burnt-out light bulb at a Disney park because they replaced each bulb when it hit 70% of its projected life, just to keep everything loking perfect. Obviously that policy has changed as the corporate folks look for ways to cut expenses. It still looks pretty impressive to people who visit the place infrequently or for the first time, we took a visitor to MK and DHS and he really enjoyed himself. He was too overwhelmed to look at the little things, that's probably the best way to enjoy your experience.

dis75ney
10-23-2008, 03:08 PM
I love both Disney and Universal. Would have gone to both this year, but DS8 is quite the thrill junkie, but not yet tall enough to ride a good chunk of rides at Universal, and I didn't want to spend the entire day saying, "No, you're not tall enough yet." I have to do that every time we go to our local Six Flags...

However, we are currently in the beginning stages of planning a trip for 2010 with friends of ours, and we will DEFINITELY be hitting both WDW and Universal...even if DS isn't tall enough by then, HP will be open!!!

inkkognito
10-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Compared to Six Flags though (at least the one in Jersey), WDW is palatial. Local parks still don't have anything on them or Universal.
Yep, that's exactly what hubby didn't get. He had been to many parks like Six Flags, Kings Island, Cedar Point etc. so he had no idea what I meant when I tried to explain that WDW was more like a self-contained "city" in a way. Now, of course, he fully understands. For the first several years we went to WDW, we didn't even drive...we just took Mears or a towncar and stayed on property (although we did -gasp!- visit Universal and later added IOA on almost every trip...we just took the Mears shuttle). It's fun to see someone who has never been to WDW and who is used to Six Flags style parks get their first view of Disney. Pretty cool to show people how Universal has evolved too if they haven't been there in years...we just had the pleasure of visiting there recently with friends who'd never visited since the original USF-only days. It has really evolved nicely.

DMMarla07860
10-24-2008, 07:52 AM
I love both WDW and Universal for different reasons. I love WDW more because of Epcot. I just love that park the most, but I love Citywalk more then Downtown Disney so I have to go to both WDW and Universal everytime I go to Orlando, next time I can't so I'll go to WDW, but I will deff miss going to Citywalk and going to NBA City to eat

inmyis
10-26-2008, 07:50 PM
First let me say i am a proud DVC Member and also Love USF. It is where my DW took me on my surprise homneymoon (yes, I had no idea).:rotfl2:

OK, Here is what I believe after extensive research on the topic....Without WDW, Universal could not survive. That is not true the other way around. Disney people can be snobs :snooty: and Universal people tend to have an inferiority complex that makes them feel they need to defend themselves ALL the time :sad2:

We enjoy both and hopefully that will continue. We do do Disney 3 to 4 times more often. But this Feb should tell you that people can enjoy both. We are spending 4 nights at Royal Pacific and then taking a Diney Wonder Cruise. And we may even go to Sea World on our last day after getting off the boat. We are toooo crazy :banana: :banana:

Metro West
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
OK, Here is what I believe after extensive research on the topic....Without WDW, Universal could not survive. That is not true the other way around. Disney people can be snobs :snooty: and Universal people tend to have an inferiority complex that makes them feel they need to defend themselves ALL the time :sad2: I don't think that's entirely true. We feel like we have to defend Universal because the Disney snobs (your term...not mine) feel there is nothing good at Universal and tend to post untruths. That's when we have to say something...it has nothing to do with inferiority...it has to do with setting the record straight.

Also...we all know Universal was built to give Disney competition and to provide an alternative to Disney. Disney has been here a lot longer than Universal and we can't change that. But...if Universal wasn't here, I doubt you would see Disney doing a whole lot in terms of thrill rides. If it were just Disney and Sea World, I seriously doubt you would have seen any of the Expedition Everest, ToT or RnR coaster type rides since Disney wouldn't have to keep up with Universal and guests wanting something more exciting than Snow White or TSM. Plus...Disney seems to be taking money away from the parks and concentrating on DVC properties and selling land off for outside companies to build on. Also...they close PI because they want to be landlords and not fool with spending the money within the property on upgrades. Just look at what's coming down the pike in the next two years. Sea World is adding Manta...the first flying coaster in FL and Universal is adding the HR3 coaster next spring and HP in 2010. What is Disney adding? An American Idol show next spring. :rolleyes:

The bottom line is this...Disney and Universal need each other to keep raising the bar and being a local...I'm all for it.

Laurabearz
10-27-2008, 08:27 AM
We have enough love in our hearts to love all parks... Just like we love all 3 of our children.

I feel sorry for people with closed minds.

marsrunner
10-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, I prefer Disney, but love Universal, especially IoA. Wasn't so crazy about Universal Studios itself. Last time I went all they (2002) all they had that was stellar was Terminator and Men in Black. Those two attractions were worth the price of admission by themselves, but after riding those two over and over again I ran out of stuff to do. Granted they have newer rides now, but with me now having a five year old daughter, there just isn't nearly as much stuff of interest at Universal. There is one ride at WDW that she can't ride, and that's Rock and Roller Coaster. At Universal, she can't ride Revenge of the Mummy, Doctor Doom, Hulk and Dueling Dragons due to her height, and can't ride Disaster!, Jaws, Terminator, Twister and Jurassic Park River Adventure for the intensity or fear factor involved. That's pretty much all of the better attractions, with the exception of Men in Black, Shrek 4-D and The Simpsons Ride. Now, I won't do the Simpsons Ride because I don't handle those simulator rides very well (not counting Spider-Man). There's just not much there that she's interested in.
At Disney, she can't ride ONE ride for height reasons, and three others (Everest, ToT and Dinosaur) for scariness reasons. Disney is just more geared towards children, but not to the exception of adults (at least not the adults in our family). Universal, in my opinion can't make the same claim. For our family, there just isn't enough there.
Now, before I got married and had a small child, I actually felt that IoA was the best park I'd ever visited, and I still believe that for myself. Its a beautiful park, and you sure won't hear any Univeral-hate from me. When my daughter gets a little older, I'm sure Universal will return to the radar.
Problem is, I think a lot of these Disney devotees (to the exception of all else) don't like a lot of the thrilling type rides. These are the people who think Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain are "intense". They are great, great fun, but they certainly aren't intense!

digitalsiren
10-29-2008, 01:10 AM
That makes me laugh because the first and only time I went to IOA 5 DIFFERENT rides "broke down" on me in a row as I was in line. It can happen anywhere. Doesn't mean I won't go back as the rides I did go on were enjoyable.

JohnnySharp2
10-29-2008, 03:32 AM
From a visitor's point of view I have never understood the 'rivalry'.

We have been visiting Florida since 1990 and like Disney AND Universal.
If I had to make a choice as to our favourite park it would be Magic Kingdom because as a family that's what we enjoy the most.
However, the 2 Universal parks come next on our list and every time we visit Orlando we enjoy our numerous visits there.

You will find most of us on the UK forums on this site like both WDW and Universal and the 'rivalry' (not sure if that's the right word), is not as intense.

There is an element on the DIS who seem to look at everything through 'Mickey Mouse sunglasses' and if it doesn't have Disney on it they are just not interested.

Many of the rides for instance at Universal would be raved about a lot more if they were at the Disney parks, such as Spiderman and Shrek to name just 2.
The car parking facilities are also much better - *one of my current gripes being as a disabled badge holder (through our son) you can barely make out the blue lines on the very worn Disney car parks*.
I also think US are much more pro-active in updating the parks and bringing new attractions, something Disney could learn from.
Though there are many reasons Disney has the 'magic touch' being able to stay on-site a short monorail ride away from MK is in theory a great experience we are hoping to indulge in next April.

Sure if you thought long and hard about everything you could pick out little faults and things you just don't like but I think overall the more attractions in Orlando the better for everyone. :)
If it means more people like us from outside America visit Florida that has to be a good thing surely?

Dax
10-29-2008, 04:00 AM
Wanna throw in my 2cents..

Being a "local", I have seen the dark sides of both parks...heck, all 3 companies(Wdw, US, AB). They all have issues. They all have positives too.

Honestly in the last few years, I have been disapointed with Disney. Many years ago I was a PAP holder. We went almost every weekend, and were never bored. PI was a popular place for us, and we were frequent "stop and smell the roses" fans. Today, I would not pay to have passses. I now get to Disney once or twice a year, and honestly, am glad I am not paying for it, as the service and the general look and feel of the parks has been lacking.

Universal however, and even SW/BG, have stepped it up a notch, and I always have great service, clean parks, and generally good experiences.

DH has worked for all 3 companies over the last 10yrs, and by far, his favorite was Universal. They were the only company that treated him as a human being, not just another #. While his job was not super glamerous, he was an overnight custodian, we reaped the benifits. Disney employees pay almost normal prices, if not a tad more in the employee lounges. Universal, deeply discounted, and he could get it at any time. He got a hotdog and soda for less than $3.

So honestly, the Disney people can have there parks. I am sticking with US/BG/SW

tttessa
10-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Hiya - another Brit here - we get there every ten years or so and can agree with the other British posters - we love both "sets" of parks.. Probably the 9hour flight to get there means we like to fit it all in.... Disney/US/IOA/Busch Gardens/seaworld/Kennedy/everglades/beach/gatorland.... I could go on (and on, and on)

It is a fun holiday destination - but what i don't get is the 3 times a year thing a lot of folks have going on... there is a big wide world out there to be seen....

Tessa

the Dark Marauder
10-29-2008, 11:25 AM
It is a fun holiday destination - but what i don't get is the 3 times a year thing a lot of folks have going on... there is a big wide world out there to be seen....

TessaI must agree with this statement. I have many destinations I must see in my lifetime. Many are not theme park related, except for Cedar Point. Most are overseas: Italy, Greece, Japan, England, and Egypt are on the top of my list.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :rolleyes1

inkkognito
10-29-2008, 12:49 PM
I too am a theme park junkie who did the whole "Disney/USF three times a year" thing, but I also made it a priority to see other destinations. DH and I have been to dude ranches all over the west, to Canda, Alaska, the Bahamas, various parts of the Caribbean, Mexico, Spain, and the Canary Islands to name just a few. In 2010 we are hoping to do the Northern European capitals Disney cruise. Just 'cause we've slaves to the Orlando attractions doesn't mean we don't love to get out there and do everything else too!

SanFranciscan
10-29-2008, 01:23 PM
We do not hate you. I look at the list of attractions for Universal Studios and the list of attractions for Disney and cut on over to Disney. I have never been to Sea World, but I can tell that there are some things that I would love to see there. Disney fans do not hate Universal Studios. We just know what our interests are.

Do any of you seriously believe that Disney fans believe that Disney can do no wrong? When I found out that they were planning to make a movie lionizing a sadistic nutcase I consider a waste of air, I was mad enough that I was ready to spend my money elsewhere.

I do care very much about how workers are treated. Walt Disney made the list of the top 100 best places to work. I liked that.

I would be reluctant to support prohibition in this country, but I do not drink. I do like that I can escape alcohol in Disney parks because I think that nine times out of ten there is alcohol involved when ugly fights break out in public. When the liquor starts flowing so do the tongues and that too often send fists flying. I want a more congenial environment.

the Dark Marauder
10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Do any of you seriously believe that Disney fans believe that Disney can do no wrong?You need to lurk around the Theme Parks/Attraction Strategies board more. It's not uncommon for threads with a heavy "diznee rox, uni sux" theme to be brought to life.

macraven
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
W
Do any of you seriously believe that Disney fans believe that Disney can do no wrong?

I would be reluctant to support prohibition in this country, but I do not drink. I do like that I can escape alcohol in Disney parks because I think that nine times out of ten there is alcohol involved when ugly fights break out in public. When the liquor starts flowing so do the tongues and that too often send fists flying. I want a more congenial environment.

i have seen more drunks at disney than any other park.

you can buy alcohol at all the parks with the exception of the magic kingdom but mk doesn't escape from the drunks at all.

i posted on another thread of dealing with the obnoxious drunks at the magic kingdom.
you can go to one of the 3 hotels that are in the mk area, drink all you want and then hit the mk. (take the hotel monorail and you don't have to worry about driving. )
you can get any drink you want at the parks' resturants at the 3 of them.

have you ever read the thread of "drinking around the world at disney"?

inmyis
10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
If nothing else this is very interesting with many opinions. Disney wouldn't be as good, with as many attractions without US. I agree competition is important. Also, personal experiences, whether a family member wasn't treated fairly as an employee or you ran into some drunks at MK, have profound effects on how we view things. I will say I have seen many more drunks at Universal during HHN than at any other single venue (concerts included). But that said, I have also seen those Drinking Around the World at Epcot. Then again I have done the Monorail Bar Tour :drinking1 on occassion as well. But I have never seen a drunk person in MK, not that it doesnt happen from time to time. I do believe that there are Disney snobs and that many US supporters do feel they need to rant and rave as the clear #2 in central Florida.

Also, I bet most all on this thread would enjoy Realityland. It is a great history of Walt Disney World from inception until today, with all the warts along the way. :thumbsup2

sha_lyn
10-29-2008, 09:50 PM
We do not hate you. I look at the list of attractions for Universal Studios and the list of attractions for Disney and cut on over to Disney. I have never been to Sea World, but I can tell that there are some things that I would love to see there. Disney fans do not hate Universal Studios. We just know what our interests are.

Do any of you seriously believe that Disney fans believe that Disney can do no wrong? When I found out that they were planning to make a movie lionizing a sadistic nutcase I consider a waste of air, I was mad enough that I was ready to spend my money elsewhere.

I do care very much about how workers are treated. Walt Disney made the list of the top 100 best places to work. I liked that.

Yes they are out there
We run into them all the time on these boards.

Timmy Boy
10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
^ Yea, the ones we look out for commonly say things like this:

"We tried Universal and the height requirements were too high for my daughter! Disney rides are smaller."

Yes, but the height requirements are posted on the website, on the map, and even outside the front gate at both parks, so you know what your kids can not ride.

"You could see many backstage areas."

Yes, when you ride Dragons you can look to your left and see a high school. Big whoop. Universal does not have the blessing of size Disney has.

"Universal employees have facial hair."

sha_lyn
10-30-2008, 03:50 PM
Or they will say things like:
There are no sit down restaurants in US/IOA

I remember one really heated thread from awhile back. The guy's complaint about US/IOA was full of lies. He said there was absolutely nothing in the either park that his kid could do and that there weren't any characters (I also believe he said there weren't any sit down restaurants or kids meals)

When we pointed out where he was wrong he had one excuse after another.
He even said he refused to waste his time on Shrek, Jimmy Neutron etc

I believe the biggest problem is that Dr Seuss, Marvel, Barney, Fival, Shrek, ET Jimmy Neutron, Curious George etc aren't "sentimental" for those who complain that there is nothing for their kids to do. Therefore they refuse to do those and then complain that all did was walk around with their kids trying to find something to do.

Metro West
10-30-2008, 05:43 PM
"Universal employees have facial hair."You know what's funny about that statement? Walt himself had a mustache in 99% of the pictures I've ever seen of him. I wonder who made up that rule? :confused3

RockNRollerGator
10-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Well Disney employees can have mustaches, but Universal employees can have(at least from I've seen) *GASP* beards. Oh noes!!!!1111

SanFranciscan
10-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Anytime I read a glowing report about Disney World and a horrible one about Universal Studios or the other way around, I just figure that I am reading the words of marketing personnel because it is just so suspicious.

There are arguments over Disneyland vs. Disney World too. It is highly credible to me that people would love Universal Studios for being more pedestrian-friendly if indeed it is. What I like about Disneyland is that getting around without automobiles is so much easier.

I am not in a position to compare Disney World to Universal Studios Orlando. I have been on an Orlando-area vacation only once. I went to Disney World and Kennedy Space Center. My only trip to Universal Studios was in California in 1991 while I was there to see E.T. What I can tell you is that Disney is better at packaging its parks, so to speak, than Universal Studios.

Think about it. Do you really think that Leggs pantyhose would have sold as well if they hadn't come in those little egg containers? I think not, and I am someone who dislikes all pantyhose. Pixar Animation is the horse that is pulling the plow now while Disney is still getting the oates due to the Disney brand. Disney is going to have to compete with Pixar when Pixar has no contractual obligations to Disney because Pixar Animation now has their own gift wrap in a manner of speaking.

If Universal Studios played their cards right, E.T. would now be the classic "guilty pleasure" that It's A Small World is to so many in my opinion. E.T. is the ultimate ambassador for universal understanding;right?

donaldduck352
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
All I got too say about this is:

How many licks does it take to the middle of a Tootsie Pop??One may never know!! :laughing: