PDA

View Full Version : Online Dating...

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 06:32 PM
What do you guys think about it?

Ms.Squeakers
10-14-2008, 06:33 PM
I could never understand it.

I really couldnt, i mean...i can..but i cant, i mean..i would have needed to at least called them or seen them...AT LEAST.

crazytp93
10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I think it depends on what you personally feel.

If you think you really like that person and your willing to have an online relationship then sure.

But if your the type of person that would rather just have a bf/gf in person, then its probably not for you. (me.)

acesupercoolme
10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
I could never understand it.

I really couldnt, i mean...i can..but i cant, i mean..i would have needed to at least called them or seen them...AT LEAST.

Yea it makes no sense to me....
Why would you want to date someone you never actually met?
It just don't get it.

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, I'm not asking for advice or anything lol just wondering what all of you good people think about it :P

I personally don't see anything wrong with it...just be careful.

Ms.Squeakers
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
It just don't get it.

Me either.
I need to KNOW them, i mean if they like..moved..or..you met up with them more then once, and you really like each other and you arent TOO far apart, then i think thats okay..but still.

I would need to be able to see them on the weekends..or..even more.

Thats just my opinion.
All though, im all for online friends :)

acesupercoolme
10-14-2008, 06:42 PM
Me either.
I need to KNOW them, i mean if they like..moved..or..you met up with them more then once, and you really like each other and you arent TOO far apart, then i think thats okay..but still.

I would need to be able to see them on the weekends..or..even more.

Thats just my opinion.
All though, im all for online friends :)

Yea, I also think it's weird like.. sharing your feelings and stuff over the internet and just everything about it is weird.

Ms.Squeakers
10-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Yea, I also think it's weird like.. sharing your feelings and stuff over the internet and just everything about it is weird.

I agree.

"I love you pookey bear"
"i love you too snookie bunches"

Like...its just not right.

You have no idea what i could REALLY be thinking.

I could be like "I love youuuu" *god hes so annoying! why wont he leave me alone!?*

i dunno, its a risky one for me..

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, it's an opinion and I respect what everyone has to say :P

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM
I agree.

"I love you pookey bear"
"i love you too snookie bunches"

Like...its just not right.

You have no idea what i could REALLY be thinking.

I could be like "I love youuuu" *god hes so annoying! why wont he leave me alone!?*

i dunno, its a risky one for me..

Well, you're right. It is a risk. And life's about taking risks right? If you're willing to online date, you gotta be willing to get your heart broken, sadly.

Em&Em
10-14-2008, 07:12 PM
My personal opinion it does not work for me, but for some people it just might work. I really think the two people involved must be really mature and be able to deal with the distance of their relationship and work through those obstacles. For me I am NOT mature enough for that and I would go nuts not seeing my BF on a regular basis.

DollfieDreams
10-14-2008, 07:13 PM
i think..if people are being completely honest, its a way to get to know someone on a more personal level. over the inernet you cant see a physical appearance save for maybe a picture. all that youre really talking to is who the person really is. appearance set aside.

but then again. half the time no one can tell the truth in person, so what makes you think theyre going to tell the truth online?

but im a sucker for love. im all for happily ever after. no matter how it is you get to that point.

but i do not trust those stupid eharmony websites. just for fun, i took the test. i was told that i was a certain type of personality that cant be matched up. :/

imabrat
10-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Anne, you seem offended or irritated by other posts. If I hadn't known before, I'd know now you met a guy online.

I don't like online dating. I like the physical parts of a relationship (no not sex). When you have an online relationship, you're not able to cuddle up with your SO, you can't kiss them when you want to, it makes for some very awkward meetings.

inlalaland
10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I would never have an online relationship, I think I would actually need to physically know the person. But if it works for some people, then good for them! I know of a lot of people who met over the internet and got married and love each other just as much as any other couple.

acesupercoolme
10-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Anne, you seem offended or irritated by other posts. If I hadn't known before, I'd know now you met a guy online.

I don't like online dating. I like the physical parts of a relationship (no not sex). When you have an online relationship, you're not able to cuddle up with your SO, you can't kiss them when you want to, it makes for some very awkward meetings.

That's pretty much what I was trying to say earlier, I just didn't know how to say it.

DollfieDreams
10-14-2008, 07:19 PM
a lot of people are saying how they dont understand how love can be conveyed via writing over the internet.

how is typing something that you truly feel for someone any different than sliding a love note that you wrote for someone into their hand?

Mandy91
10-14-2008, 07:19 PM

Yeah I agree. I love hugs and cuddling, and you can't exactly do that online.

Ms.Squeakers
10-14-2008, 07:21 PM
a lot of people are saying how they dont understand how love can be conveyed via writing over the internet.

how is typing something that you truly feel for someone any different than sliding a love note that you wrote for someone into their hand?

because youre there
and the look on their face..
i passed notes with my crush the entire day on friday.
That didnt mean we didnt see each others facial expressions, it was just because we werent allowed to talk.

and if you wrote a love note and left it for someone you obviously know them, and will probably see them again.

Tinkerbell424
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
It's personally not for me.
I think a big part of a relationship is being able to hold and hug your GF/BF. Like...I dont know, but people can be waaay different in real life then they are via internet.

DollfieDreams
10-14-2008, 07:24 PM
i honestly just dont see the difference.

i get it. "i want physical closeness. i want to touch. i want to feel."

but some people just dont need that. they'd rather get to know someone else's heart before they got to know their appearance.

Mandy91
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't think online dating is wrong, I just don't think it's for me personally.

imabrat
10-14-2008, 07:29 PM
i honestly just dont see the difference.

i get it. "i want physical closeness. i want to touch. i want to feel."

but some people just dont need that. they'd rather get to know someone else's heart before they got to know their appearance.

It's not appearance at all.

Traditional relationship - Typically you're "drawn" to one another, you have that body chemistry. That spark in your eyes, that tingly feeling when you touch.

What happens when you meet your online SO, and that spark is dead? They're a nice person, but physcially there's no connection between you two at all?

DollfieDreams
10-14-2008, 07:31 PM
than that obviously means that they arent your SO.

im not sayin its wrong or right.

but if people find happiness and love online, then good for them.

imabrat
10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
than that obviously means that they arent your SO.

im not sayin its wrong or right.

but if people find happiness and love online, then good for them.

I'm not saying it's wrong or right either, I just don't understand it.

And your first sentence confuses me. A SO is your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife/life partner/whatever. If you agree to go out, you're dating. What do you mean "they aren't your SO"?

PigletGurl
10-14-2008, 07:36 PM
if two people are meant for each other, any type of relationship (online or in real life) will work. but they will eventually be together in real life.

Grateful Mickey
10-14-2008, 07:41 PM
I met a girl on yahoo.com in 2002. The stars were aligned. We've been dating and living together in Miami, FL for 6 years. We're in love.

Scott & Hope

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Sonya, I seriously didn't mean to sound offended of anything lol. I'm totally fine with what you all have to say, that's why I made the thread. And yeah, I have met someone...but that's another story lol. I can't explain it to someone who hasn't gone through the same thing...they just won't understand. That's why I just keep the deeper things to myself. But, I agree with what some of you said, that if you're meant to be together, you will be. And I also really love hugs and holding hands..and let me tell you it SUCKS in plain english to not be able to do that...but we are both pretty mature for this relationship and I know when we do get to do those things together, it will have been totally worth the wait.

AmandaSparks730
10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Well...

Been there, done that.

It's good for emotional love/connection, but for physical love...doesn't work out. And sometimes, it doesn't work out at all.

2/3 DIS couples broke up.

And surprisingly, the guy broke up with the girl both times.

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Well, I broke the DIS couple chain haha.

notokay
10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I met a girl online and talked to her for months before we ever met. We started dating a couple of months after we first met face-to-face. We only see each other every couple of weeks, so I guess most of our dating is done online.

I think it's a good way to make a connection and meet people you might never have come across IRL. I know of a few adults that have met their wives/husbands online and had an online relationship for months or even a year before they met each other in person.

life of the party
10-14-2008, 08:12 PM
i think you can have crushes over the internet , but dating would be difficult.

but if you can safely meet eventualy it could work .
i think it is possible , but not easily .
and if you love the person enough . it can be worth it :thumbsup2

because youre there
and the look on their face..
i passed notes with my crush the entire day on friday.
That didnt mean we didnt see each others facial expressions, it was just because we werent allowed to talk.

and if you wrote a love note and left it for someone you obviously know them, and will probably see them again.

offtopic.. how did it go ?!
thats really cute !

lpe_bratz
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Well...

Been there, done that.

It's good for emotional love/connection, but for physical love...doesn't work out. And sometimes, it doesn't work out at all.

2/3 DIS couples broke up.

And surprisingly, the guy broke up with the girl both times.

i just realized that.

face it meg, we're too good for them :p

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 08:15 PM

I agree :P

and dating is hard..but totally worth it.

inlalaland
10-14-2008, 08:16 PM
i just realized that.

face it meg, we're too good for them :p

::yes:: :p

swimmingneno
10-14-2008, 08:19 PM

I totally 100% agree with this statement!!

Disney.Ears
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
It just don't get it.

I don't understand it either. It's just...weird.

Same here.
You can't look into the person's eyes and tell them EXACTLY how you feel..

but i do not trust those stupid eharmony websites. just for fun, i took the test. i was told that i was a certain type of personality that cant be matched up. :/

Wow. That's so weird. There's someone out there for everyone!?

Well, I broke the DIS couple chain haha.

...How? Your boyfriend isn't on the DIS lol.

Babyjustrun
10-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I don't do online relationships for my own reasons. But I cannot say I'm for or against them. They have their pros and cons. Some people can make it work, and the more to them if they can.

But for me, I'm very easily infatuated. A person could trust me to not cheat, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want that person I would actually know. I would feel guilty if I was flirting with guys all the time when I've never really done it with the other guy.

There's also, I have issues with not seeing a guy I like. If he's not in that class, or even not in school at all I get sad. If he doesn't speak to me, I get sad. They control my happiness, it's horrible, but I find myself happiest with them.

And not having actually had a real relationship, I don't plan on having one online. I need that physical part.

PurpleDucky
10-14-2008, 08:44 PM
It's not appearance at all.

Traditional relationship - Typically you're "drawn" to one another, you have that body chemistry. That spark in your eyes, that tingly feeling when you touch.

What happens when you meet your online SO, and that spark is dead? They're a nice person, but physcially there's no connection between you two at all?

Not true, for me, at least lol.

I met a girl on yahoo.com in 2002. The stars were aligned. We've been dating and living together in Miami, FL for 6 years. We're in love.

Scott & Hope
That's so good for both of you!
But you guys were over 18 weren't you?

I don't understand it either. It's just...weird.

Same here.
You can't look into the person's eyes and tell them EXACTLY how you feel..

Wow. That's so weird. There's someone out there for everyone!?

...How? Your boyfriend isn't on the DIS lol.

Haha, that's what she was trying to say.
She broke the DIS chain of dating by talking to someone else on another forum.

PurpleDucky
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
In my opinion, no one can understand how people can love each other over the internet unless it actually happens to them.

Disney.Ears
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Haha, that's what she was trying to say.
She broke the DIS chain of dating by talking to someone else on another forum.

Ohhh! :lmao:
Blonde moment.

PurpleDucky
10-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Ohhh! :lmao:
Blonde moment.

We all have them :p

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Haha thanks for clearing that up Devan. I didn't know how else to put it lolol.

::Snow_White::
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't do online relationships for my own reasons. But I cannot say I'm for or against them. They have their pros and cons. Some people can make it work, and the more to them if they can.

Ditto.
Definately not for me.
I have trust issues as it is and there is no way I'd be able to handle an online relationship.
Anyways, works for some, others it doesn't.
If someone finds their love online, then good for them.
But I won't be one of them.

And I know I act differently online (Not intentionally, just by the way I talk and such.), and people view me different than they do IRL.
So I have a feeling if I did meet someone online, we might not get along as well as we do online as we would in person.

PurpleDucky
10-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Haha thanks for clearing that up Devan. I didn't know how else to put it lolol.

Anytime :thumbsup2

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I agree completely with you too, Devan.

PurpleDucky
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, thanks.
Just to clarify,
Yes, there's no physical part of the relationship but you don't always need that. Like Becca said, it's a good idea to get to know someone's heart before their appearence. You can't trust them, but after 2 years, I think I'll start to trust someone. The way you keep these relationships is unexplainable really. I know most of you think it's weird, it is, but not for people who are in them and are truly in love with this person.

DramaQueen
10-14-2008, 10:17 PM
It's definitley not something I could do, I am a very physical person and I wouldn't be able to stand not being about to touch my BF.

I have a best friend though, who met her BF on myspace about 3 yrs ago, he's from England, I don't know how but somehow they've managed to make their relationship totally work!!
She goes there twice a year and he comes here twice a year.
Next year he's moving to Canada.
They are definitley in it for the long haul and they are living proof that you can find love online.

I couldn't do it though, I've never even expirienced having a crush online, it's just not something that has ever happened for me. But from seeing my friend with her BF, I really believe that you can find true love online. But you have to be a really strong and commited person to make it REALLY work.

llamasrcool
10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
It's definitley not something I could do, I am a very physical person and I wouldn't be able to stand not being about to touch my BF.

I have a best friend though, who met her BF on myspace about 3 yrs ago, he's from England, I don't know how but somehow they've managed to make their relationship totally work!!
She goes there twice a year and he comes here twice a year.
Next year he's moving to Canada.
They are definitley in it for the long haul and they are living proof that you can find love online.

I couldn't do it though, I've never even expirienced having a crush online, it's just not something that has ever happened for me. But from seeing my friend with her BF, I really believe that you can find true love online. But you have to be a really strong and commited person to make it REALLY work.

I totally agree :P

GoofysOnlyGirl
10-14-2008, 10:46 PM
I have nothing against it as long as its safe. And I also think they should be able to text/talk on the phone and be able to have at least that much trust to actually be considered dating.[if there are no extra fees and such...]

I personally would never do it. Its not just about the whole physical thing. I need to be able to see there reactions when I say something, and I need to be able to actually hang out with them, flirt, and tell jokes in real life. I also of course need the hugs, kisses all those signs of affection as well.

I think everyone should have there own choice though, and I know some people do fall in love and are able to have stable relationships online. Its just not for me though. :)

DollfieDreams
10-15-2008, 12:15 AM
thanks devan. im glad someone got what i was trying to say :]

and like you said, you just cant understand unless youve been there.

i mean geez, there have been cases where people have litterally fallen in love with a character from a book. you cant touch them. you cant have a physical relationship with them. but youre "in love" with them because of how they "speak" and their personality is.

Cassidy
10-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Its..odd.

NeverLand<3
10-15-2008, 05:38 AM
i think its fine when you meet on like eHarmony or sumthin, but you would have to meet in a public place. but then really, i would still worry.:confused:

Ms.Squeakers
10-15-2008, 06:28 AM

offtopic.. how did it go ?!
thats really cute !

Well they werent love notes, but i guess by "law" they were flirting.

Lotsa smileys and hearts.

We made a stick figure family of 3 earlier, so he pulled them out *i was surprised he still had them xD* and we were like "THEY NEED A FISH!" so we drew this huge fish bowl that was bigger then all of them and a little tiny "jesus" fish. :laughing:. We just passed notes because we were bored..and we couldnt talk at all during class, but since he cant read in loud environements, we just started talking. It was sweet for me though, because he would look up at me with these serious eyes..kinda like..looking down..but looking up at the same time. Total knee melting expirience.

Im not saying that you cant get that from someone you met online, people are people, but theres a high chance, that someone you feel a "connection" with online, may not be your physical attraction. They may have a few quarks that just absolutely bother you, or they may studder, or something else that they do in real life, that they dont do online.

GoofysOnlyGirl
10-15-2008, 06:54 AM
thanks devan. im glad someone got what i was trying to say :]

and like you said, you just cant understand unless youve been there.

i mean geez, there have been cases where people have litterally fallen in love with a character from a book. you cant touch them. you cant have a physical relationship with them. but youre "in love" with them because of how they "speak" and their personality is.

I think there is a difference. You are not actually trying to have a relationship with that person. You just love how the author developed there personality and quirks. Its a different kind of love. & I will be the first to admit I have fallen in love with a character from a movie/book. [Take Noah Calhoun from the notebook....] I bet every girl in the world would kill to have a guy like that, but its not like they are all IN love with him, they just love what he does, and how he acts in the book and movie. I don't know its hard to explain but its two completely different types of loves...

nickkevingirl93
10-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I'm going to be truthful here, and say that I would never online date, but I guess that it's fine for other people. I'm not sure if I'm that trusting~ i think that I'd be too scared....

PurpleDucky
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
i think its fine when you meet on like eHarmony or sumthin, but you would have to meet in a public place. but then really, i would still worry.:confused:

What's the difference between online forums, a game, or eHarmony? You can still get to know that person the same way, honestly, it's just easier to find someone on eHarmony or any other dating website because they're all looking for someone. I think it's more, romantic, for a lack of better words, if you just happen to stumble upon each other.

And you're welcome Becca, I agree with your second statement :)

JulielovesDisney
10-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Online dating is definitely not for me. One of my good friends did that, and it only broke her heart. The guy kept saying that he was going to come down and visit her, but he never could. And it ruined her, emotionally.

I think she's still a little messed up by it. Whenever we talk, she usually mentions him. I feel bad for her.

But I also know of a lot of success stories. I think it really depends on your personality and your expectations on love/relationships. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, it's just not for me. I don't think I'd be able to handle not seeing the guy I really care about whenever I could, or touch him, or see him smile, etc. Same with long-distance relationships. That would be hard for me too.

Smiley.Socks
10-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I couldnt do it..
I love hugs and i love seeing that special persons face every day or something.
I have nothing against it,, its just not for me.
Im really pleased for people who have done it and its all worked out.. :goodvibes

MrsSparrow..
10-15-2008, 02:09 PM
I love the whole connection you can have with someone online when your typing.. and like yeah, it makes it all nice.

But I love hugs. I don't know whether I'd be able to be all lovey online when you can't actually do the stuff with person (not sex btw.)

I dunno, it isn't for me, but I totally see why some people like it :)

It isn't for me mainly because Im extremely paranoid.

Shelton123
10-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Well, you're right. It is a risk. And life's about taking risks right? If you're willing to online date, you gotta be willing to get your heart broken, sadly.

It's not just a risk of a broken heart, it's a risk of getting raped, kidnapped, or killed. What if you told the person your last name? They can get all the information about you they would ever want. And if you meet in person then they could do the same.

Loves Disney
10-15-2008, 03:25 PM
I was in a 2-year online relationship. I will never go through that again.

The basics: We "dated" for two years and I broke his heart twice.

It was purely emotional. Which is all good and well, as we naturally think. I didn't know him outside of the internet and that kept doubts in my head. I'm the type of person who will trust a situation, but full confidence of believing comes from seeing.

At the start of the relationship, I was so completely infatuated with him. He was all I could think about. I couldn't wait until I had the chance to talk with him. He made me smile. We got as close as you could probably get emotionally in a relationship. After a while tho, I really started doubting it. We had several times planned to meet but things couldn't work out - on both our ends.

He was the sweatest guy I had ever talked to. He was SO nice. But all I had of the relationship were our phone conversations and internet conversations via yahoo messanger and the DIS. I had nothing more and every stable relationship requires emotional AND phsyical connections. I devoted myself to him meaning I stayed faithful to this online relationship. I hated that I had no one here to hold me when I was lonely or cold. I need there to be some physical part to a relationship.

During our online convos I would tell him how much I liked him while I actually sat there at my computer thinking to myself "I don't think I can stay in this relationship". I said the things I knew he wanted to hear even though I didn't FULLY mean it. Of course I meant it a little, but not entirely.

I was forcing myself to like him and that wasn't good. I broke up with him. I started to feel lost without the conversations and he was heartbroken so I asked to re-kindle the relationship. He took me back and it was only a matter of a few months before I regained those thoughts of doubt. I broke up with him again only this time it was even more painful for the both of us.

This was 2 years ago and I'm still emotionally damaged because of this. I still think of him and I feel bad about what I did. I didn't even really know him. If you meet online, great! Just plan on meeting. If you are ONLY internet-based, the relationship will not last.

Every relationship requires the couple to be emotional and phsyical. It's just life.

AmandaSparks730
10-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh my, Loves Disney...I can relate to that so fully and completely. You touched my heart knowing that even though you're older, you've been through the same thing as I have :)

Sparx
10-15-2008, 06:33 PM
all together too deep and too serious for me.

call me what you will but i need physicalcality in my relationships.

i tried long distance once. (not internet, cause we knew each other, just far away) and i couldn't do it. it was the worst year and a half of my life. i stayed with him cause i felt like i loved him (now i'm not so sure) but it killed me. now i'm a pretty touchie date. i love to touch and hold hands and kiss and stuff, because i went so long not being able to.

but ya know, whatever works for you. i'm no one to judge.

i do think that long distance stuff is a lot deeper than in person stuff. because if you're putting up with distance, there is some kind of deep affection if not love involved. so you gotta be mature. they're also really serious.

and i'm seventeen. i'm not looking for someone to marry and have kids and grow old with. i'm looking for someone to go to the movies with on friday and hold hands with at football games and walk to class with.

Loves Disney
10-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Oh my, Loves Disney...I can relate to that so fully and completely. You touched my heart knowing that even though you're older, you've been through the same thing as I have :)

:hug:

all together too deep and too serious for me.

call me what you will but i need physicalcality in my relationships.

i tried long distance once. (not internet, cause we knew each other, just far away) and i couldn't do it. it was the worst year and a half of my life. i stayed with him cause i felt like i loved him (now i'm not so sure) but it killed me. now i'm a pretty touchie date. i love to touch and hold hands and kiss and stuff, because i went so long not being able to.

but ya know, whatever works for you. i'm no one to judge.

i do think that long distance stuff is a lot deeper than in person stuff. because if you're putting up with distance, there is some kind of deep affection if not love involved. so you gotta be mature. they're also really serious.

and i'm seventeen. i'm not looking for someone to marry and have kids and grow old with. i'm looking for someone to go to the movies with on friday and hold hands with at football games and walk to class with.

I completely agree with you. And I don't care who you are, if someone says they don't need any phsyical contact in their relationship...they don't know much about relationships. Humans are sexual beings. Simple as that. But also, holding hands, hugging, kissing, etc...all contributes to the emotional part of a relationship as well. I'm sure any girl or boy here who has been in a relationship could agree with the fact that when your bf/gf reaches to hold your hand, your heart skips a little or you feel a sense of comfort...that's all emotional!

SnowyJingleBells
10-15-2008, 08:17 PM
I think it all depends on the people, and their feelings for each other.

If they both really liked each other, they could probably find a way to make their "dating" truly work.

tinkerbell12
10-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Echh. Not really.
No matter how many pictures the guy sends to you of himself.
No matter how many times he tells you he "loves you"
No matter how many phone calls you exchange.

Doesn't mean it's not some creeper.
And I totally trust people on the internet.
But I'd never "go out with (I mean, come on. Are you gonna see this person more than once a year!?)" some guy from the internet.

Sure, if you meet on the internet, then go on a cruise together, I'm fine.
But.. yeah.