PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions and info about cabins at Fort Wilderness!!

Rora
10-12-2008, 06:47 PM
My parents and DF and I will be going to Disney to celebrate my 23 birthday this coming Feb. I reeaaallly want to stay at the Cabins at FW but everyone else would prefer a "resort".

What is there to do on a non-park day? I've heard about the horseback riding, boats, fishing, etc. Does it cost extra? Is there enough stuff to do to fill up an entire day? Any info would be great! Thanks so much everyone!

mbanks21
10-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Its your bday, you should be able to pick the resort:] and yes, everything costs extra and yes, Im sure you can fill up an entire day but why would you take a day away from the parks?

lklasing
10-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I can totally understand the desire to have a non-park day, and FW is a great place to do just that. There are lots of things to do there, some that come with a price and some that are free. If you go to the camping board and post this question, you'll get lots info.

Good luck convincing your group to stay at the Fort! It's a wonderful place to be.

Leslie

ntsammy5
10-13-2008, 08:43 AM
FW is a great place to stay - consider renting a golf cart for a day and go "looping" - that is drive around the campground and look at all the rigs - there is also an evening movie and campfire that is a lot of fun. Look over on the camping board for more information.

mom2cookies
10-13-2008, 09:45 AM
There is also a segway tour you can take around FW. It is about $80 per person.

tam626
10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
I love the cabins at FW. You can take a nice walk in the woods & see wildlife. Last time, we saw deer & an armadillo. There are pools there. It's so relaxing there.

blondinkaya
10-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Take it for what it's worth, but I just changed our reservation from the Cabins to two rooms at Pop Century. I love my in-laws dearly but was afraid the quarters would be a little too close, kwim? I'd also heard about transportation issues (needing a golf cart but only being able to fit 4 on it *legally*--and we'd be a party of 6).

Hopefully someone will be able to provide a little more info to you that will help you decide what to do ...

2BoysMom
10-13-2008, 12:16 PM
What hasn't been mentioned yet is PRIVACY. You said you were going with parents and DF. If you stay at a resort, will everyone be in the same room or two rooms? Staying in the cabins will allow all 4 adults to stay in one place with 2 people in the separate bedroom and 2 on the murphy bed in the living room, plus plenty of room in the cabin.

As you can see by my signature, we stay in the cabins every May b/c my MIL comes with us to celebrate my twin sons birthday. She and the boys have the bedroom (the boys on the bunk beds) and my husband and I in the living room. For space considerations it can't be beat. You might also want to add the cost of a golfcart to your cabin rental. I couldn't imagine not having a golfcart to get around in while staying at the Fort.

However, you can also see on my signature, that I like to stay at resorts more often. The cabins are completely different than the resorts. Both accommodations have their pros and cons.

There is a separate Camping Group on the Disboards, and they can give you alot of advice, too.

You also mentioned things to do on a non-Park day. My answer to that is you don't necessarily have to stay at FW if you choose that location. You can take a boat ride and check out WL or take the boat to MK and ride the monorail to various locations and check out those hotels and properties. Or go to DTD, or miniature golfing, etc. Bus services are available there as at any Disney resorts.

I hope some of this helps. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.:goodvibes

ElizabethB
10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
We thought transportation and dining at the cabins were not good. We had a car and a golf cart and would not stay there without both. As for dining, you have two choices -- the buffet (we hate buffets) or take out pizza. We ordered a pizza and they would not let us eat it at the place -- even though all the tables were empty. We had to eat it outside or take it back to our cabins. We've stayed offsite and thought it was more convenient!

If four adults want privacy, consider a one-bedroom villa at any DVC property, or a junior suite at WL or Contemporary. Or two rooms.

Singinglizzie
10-14-2008, 07:14 AM
The cost of renting the golf cart is $50 a day and during peak season, they could be all rented out. The thought of this extra expense, is what had us decide to select another resort - as you could rent a car for that! What is it about FW that appeals to you? Maybe you could consider Wilderness lodge, as it too has that rustic feel, but would be more of a resort to satisfy all your party. If however, you are picking up the cost for everyone, then by all means select the place, but if everyone is jointly paying then they too should have a say. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy whatever you decide.