PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Dolphin - 1st time

mtmbyck
10-09-2008, 05:17 PM
I know how helpful these reviews were for me so thought I would share....

First of all - did I LOVE my room - NO. Did I like my room - YES! I was upgraded to a balcony which normally would be neatg but the balcony was very dirty and tons of bugs so I never went on it.

I dined at Garden Grove and The Mediteranean fresh market. Again, liked it - did not love it.

The selling feature of this hotel is the grounds. The swan pool is closed for renovations but the Dolphin pool and beach are right beside it. The grotto pool and beach are lovely!! The walk around the boardwalk and other resorts is lovely.

I recall reading how it didn't feel "Disney" and you know what....it really doesn't. And I really missed it! There are no reminders that you are there other than the gift shop and the concierge selling tickets and of course the boats and buses (which you need to buffer a solid 40 minutes extra for because they go to a number of stops....). It is definatley a conference centre as that's all you see are business men and women with lanyards for their conferences.

The piano player in the lobby every evening is nice. The bottled water in your room is disgusting!! It is a swan dolphin brand and I couldn't even drink it even though we received 2 bottles a day in the resort fee. Grosse!

So, to summarize, I paid $179 on a government rate and the Disney resorts like boardwalk and Beach club were $300. I could have stayed a moderate but not have the convenice of EPCOT.....and IMHA the grounds and amenities would not come close to Dolphin.....

Would I stay again - yes.

DisneyBride'03
10-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your review:)Thats a good rate to be in that location! The balconies do not appeal to me, bugs or no bugs.
Would like to try the Dolphin/Swan someday:)

frdeb1999
10-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your review. :)

kaffinito
10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks for your review! :)

kapoof
10-10-2008, 05:58 AM
I know how helpful these reviews were for me so thought I would share....

First of all - did I LOVE my room - NO. Did I like my room - YES! I was upgraded to a balcony which normally would be neatg but the balcony was very dirty and tons of bugs so I never went on it.

I dined at Garden Grove and The Mediteranean fresh market. Again, liked it - did not love it.

The selling feature of this hotel is the grounds. The swan pool is closed for renovations but the Dolphin pool and beach are right beside it. The grotto pool and beach are lovely!! The walk around the boardwalk and other resorts is lovely.

I recall reading how it didn't feel "Disney" and you know what....it really doesn't. And I really missed it! There are no reminders that you are there other than the gift shop and the concierge selling tickets and of course the boats and buses (which you need to buffer a solid 40 minutes extra for because they go to a number of stops....). It is definatley a conference centre as that's all you see are business men and women with lanyards for their conferences.

The piano player in the lobby every evening is nice. The bottled water in your room is disgusting!! It is a swan dolphin brand and I couldn't even drink it even though we received 2 bottles a day in the resort fee. Grosse!

So, to summarize, I paid $179 on a government rate and the Disney resorts like boardwalk and Beach club were $300. I could have stayed a moderate but not have the convenice of EPCOT.....and IMHA the grounds and amenities would not come close to Dolphin.....

Would I stay again - yes.

that exactly how i felt...i liked it..it was nice but i totally missed the whole disney thing. glad you had a good trip!

CarolA
10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah but for almost half price, BUY some stuffed Mickey's and decorate your room LOL!

Seriously I am sitting in the Dolphin right now. Considering how much nicer the beds are, the location, the ameneties (and I am drinking the water which I find just fine) I don't see how the "Theme" of the hotel I can see out my window is worth 50% more! (I have stayed there too LOL!)

kapoof
10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah but for almost half price, BUY some stuffed Mickey's and decorate your room LOL!

Seriously I am sitting in the Dolphin right now. Considering how much nicer the beds are, the location, the ameneties (and I am drinking the water which I find just fine) I don't see how the "Theme" of the hotel I can see out my window is worth 50% more! (I have stayed there too LOL!)

true carol..i think if you get a good price the s/d are totally worth it. i lOVED the beds and coffee, and the h2o was just fine also.

have a great trip...how are the crowds?

glo
10-10-2008, 08:31 AM
You can not beat the price you can get at either the Swan or the Dolphin! YOu might not get Mickey everytime you turn around but you are in the middle of the action for half the price of a WDW Deluxe. The rooms are big, the emenities are top class, and the beds are to die for! You can walk to 2 parks and be at the Boardwalk in seconds! For me it makes the my hotels of choice! I can stay in Deluxe accomodations and a longer stay in WDW staying there!

mtmbyck
10-10-2008, 01:04 PM
I can't believe you like the bottled water - don't you find it salty?? To me it tastes like a strong Dasani (which I disslike also).

madge
10-10-2008, 01:52 PM

have they changed the water since the spring? I can't remember the brand ... but it wasn't like a S/D house brand or anything. LOL.

we stayed at Pop Century last week, and will again. For the price we paid, it can't be beat ... but, we must have said a dozen times how much we missed the Swan/Dolphin! I'm saving up SPG points like crazy so we can stay there a couple of nights next year!

pooh2001
10-10-2008, 01:53 PM
We make our Dolphin room Disneyish by ordering Disney themed flowers from the florist. Hanging a Pooh Easter flag in our window. Use Disney themed paper bathroom cups and of coude our DD brings a Disney themed stuffed animal. Next time it will be a Clown Fish Webkinz which looks just like Nemo (and fits very small into a suitcase)

jtamchay
10-10-2008, 02:20 PM
We have reservations at The Swan November 2-9th...today they told me the pool renovations are completed at The Swan.
They also told me that all rooms have a fridge at no cost and no longer have the mini bar style fridge.
just a couple of things I checked on minutes ago.

kapoof
10-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I can't believe you like the bottled water - don't you find it salty?? To me it tastes like a strong Dasani (which I disslike also).

no, tastes like bottled water...

Princess Erin
10-10-2008, 02:53 PM
does the Dolphin have free refridgerators?

cheerky
10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Nope...no fridge at the Dolphin.

MIC-KEY
10-12-2008, 01:01 PM
What do most people do with park admission tickets? Is there still a savings, from purchasing a package, with Park tickets and the dining plan when booking the Swan or Dolphin? Have thought about it, but figured the packages from Disney were cheaper?

webray
10-12-2008, 01:23 PM
does the Dolphin have free refridgerators?

No, the dolphin still has the mini bars.

webray
10-12-2008, 01:26 PM
We stay at Swan/Dolphin, no package, annual passes and the DDE.
Can't beat it!

The water is fine, the $10 per day resort fee includes the two bottles, a certain amount of phone calls, and internet access (which is great for those who travel with a laptop).

The rooms are fantastic, with the view of EPCOT or MGM how can you not have the "disney" feel. We see the fireworks every night they have them, from the room, no crowds.

We prefer the better rate and nicer/cleaner rooms of the Swan/Dolphin!

mgilmer
10-12-2008, 02:41 PM

Substitute Swan for Dolphin and I agree with you. No way would I pay what Disney wants for the Beach Club when we can get the Swan for $149 a night. Now a 1 Br at the BCV, that is a different matter . . . :rolleyes1