PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed for AKL stay

C8esGoin2disney
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
We're planning a vaca for Oct 09 to include 1 night at AKL, followed by the 4 day Dis cruise and then 4 days at CB. Can anyone give me the 411 on what's especially fun to do there. We want to go to MK that first day but we also want to enjoy the hotel some since we'll only be there the 1 day and it is so much $$. I heard there's a safari you can go on but it sounds like you have to stay in a certain level to participate - and it's a bit pricey (although it does include dinner @ Jiko). We're planning on doing AK for a 1/2 day the day we leave for the cruise. It sounds like an amazing place to stay but I want to make the most of it. :surfweb: Any suggestions?

Kae
10-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Do you have kids? There is so much to do at AKL, we wish we would have skipped a waterpark day & spent more tima at the Lodge.

Kae

Chuck-PA
10-10-2008, 07:28 AM
We were just there in September, my wife broght the paper home with the list of activities

-Flamingo (learn from the experts) by the flamingo pool at 9:30 am
-Animal Tracking (leanr to track animals using scientific reseearch) Arusha Rock from 10:30 to 12:30pm
-Make your own beaded jewelry (saturdays only) at Simba Clubhouse from 11 am to 1 pm
-Arts an Crafts (Sun-Mon-Werd,Thu and Fri) by the pool 11 am
-Medallion Rubbing at the Lobby by the front door at 12:30 pm
- Cookie Decorating at Boma at 1 pm
-Garden Safari- interaction of plants and animals by the pool 2 pm to 4:30 pm
-Afrikan games and crafts by the pool 3 pm
-Pin Trading in the gift shop 3 pm (mon thru Fri)
-Family fun and games by the pool at 4 pm
-Culinary Tour of Boma and Jiko at 4 pm meet at Jiko
-Musk of the Savanna- learn to play African instrument at Sunset Lounge at 5 pm
-Wildlife games (test your animal knowledge) at Sunset Lounge at 6:30 pm
-African Folktales- Firepit by Arusha Rock at 7:30 pm
-Primal Parade -Parade through the lobby at7:50 pm near the gift shop
-Cultural Safari - 30-40 minute tour of homeland at Sunset Lounge 8:30 pm
-Animal Viewing with Night vision goggles at Uzima Overlook from 9 pm to 11 pm

So much to do so little time. We only did the medallion rubbing because we happened to be heading out the door at the time.

sjw4870
10-11-2008, 07:58 PM
There are 2 safari type things at AKL. I am not 100% sure of this info - so hopefully someon else will know too. The first one requries that you stay at coincerge and then there is a fee on top of that. This one actually takes place at the Animal Kingdom theme park. Might be called Sunrise Safari. The second one has a strange name that I can't remember. I believe this is open to anyone staying at AKL and you are taking through the AKL savannahs on an open-air truck. I looked into it once and I think it cost close to $200per person.

There is a lot to do at AKL - and I never make enough time to do it all. I've taken the culinary tour of Jiko and Boma and enjoyed that (took about 45 min to 1 hour). I've also used the night vision goggles. AKL is great.

lovemesomedisney
10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
We just returned today from 3 days @SOG and 2 days @ AKL. I can't imagine doing MK and enjoying your hotel all in 1 day. MK has SOOOO much to do and then if it storms in the pm like it did every day you can't do the wonderful pool. We did Animal Kingdom park the day we stayed @ AKL since it is around the corner and MK when we were @ SOG since it was around the corner from there. The crowds Mon and Tues were great but after that we were fairly miserably hot and 50 min waits/some 80-90 min waits in lines. We will not do this time of year again b/c we have been so spoiled w/going during slow times. We wrestled w/ the same decision b/c we wanted to try AKL but couldn't afford it for the whole time ( barely for the 2 nights we were there haha.) Just think about checking in @ 3 and leaving by 11:00 for about $300.00-$400.00 a night. It is a very little time. If you are just going to stay and enjoy the hotel and animals I think it is worth it but to try to do a park also I don't know if you will get your money's worth. Good luck, it was a tough decision for us also!!